I now know why Acura specifies NOT to put a CL-S Wheel on a TL....

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2001, 04:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Post I now know why Acura specifies NOT to put a CL-S Wheel on a TL....

I just got my car back from warranty service from Park Ave Acura, Met Wayne, Jens, Peter, Vinny, etcetc.... They are the best!Everything is in top shape now, have them to thank...I spoke with Jens(the technician) , and in our cnoversation, spoke about the CLS wheels on a TL. Jens didn't know why Acura specifies not to put a CLS wheel on a TL, and he wanted to find out. So they took the CL-S wheels off their demo and put them on to my car. They Don't Fit!!!!!!! This is using the CLS' stock tires(215/50/17). They rub like a b$tch in a turn from left to right. The only way to avoid this would be to put a spacer(which isn't always recommended). Overall, he said that he wouldn't put them on. I now know why everyone's been putting 225/45's on the rim.. I wanted to put 225/50's, I guess not..I will probably end up going with 215 or 225/45's as well..

Now my question to all of you with CLS wheels with 225/45's and Springs, is there any rubbing at all?
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 04-13-2001, 06:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go with 20s! I should've done 20s!
Old 04-13-2001, 07:49 PM
Intermediate

Shoofin, that's really weird 'cause I just put on CL-S wheels and they fit fine, no rubbing at all. I'm guessin that it's b/c I have the H&R OE springs and you have the Comptech. I'll be keeping an eye out though.

p.s. no need to photoshop the RH M6 wheels. Thanks anyway.

Old 04-13-2001, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Shoofen alot of the cl type S folks have 235/45/17 and also 225/17/45 w/ no rubbing problem.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs/Sway/Headers Polarg m-6.
Old 04-13-2001, 08:03 PM
Jens

Hi guys ShoofinTL asked me to ring in here to tell you what we found.According to a service bulletin from some time ago we were told that "S" wheels should not be put on a TL.Well ShoofinTL asked us to check it out and indeed they would rub with the stock rubber on the front upper wheel house.Although we elected not to drive the car with this wheel on the car to avoid damaging his car or the wheel,based on what we saw on the lift we advise against it.From what I remember of this bulletin there are some differences in the steering rack and if I remember correctly something with the subframe as well.I will try to find a copy of this on Monday if I get a chance and rerad it and post the reasons why.Jens
Old 04-13-2001, 08:06 PM
Racer

Interesting. I haven't had any rubbing yet, I wonder why. I have Comptech springs and CLS rims. Any thoughts Jens?

------------------
2001, Satin Silver TL w/ Navi.
Factory Bodykit
Comptech Headers
Comptech Exhaust
Short Ram Intake
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
Inspire Tails
CLS Rims w/ 215/50/17 Toyo Proxes T1-S for the spring, summer and fall
OEM Rims and POS tires for the winter
Wings West Spoiler (Being Painted)
Old 04-14-2001, 12:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have CL-S wheels with 225/45/17 tires and have experienced no rubbing, with 4 passengers, turned lock to lock, hard cornering, etc. But in light of what Shoofin found, I'm seriously considering not lowering the car and just getting a kit. The only way I would get springs now is if a speed shop offered to take the springs back off and reinstall the factory ones if there is a problem with a minimal cost.

------------------
2000 TL - Laguna Green, Navi, Rear Spoiler. PIAA Hyperwhite HB's. 17" CL-S wheels with Bridgestone RE 730 - 225/45/17's. Soon to have Comptech Suspension, Sways & Axle back Exhaust.
Old 04-14-2001, 12:01 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jens,

I think this may have been asked before but...

Since the CL-S are 7" and the TL-S are only 6.5", has anyone given any thought about putting the TL-S wheels on the TL-P?

Old 04-14-2001, 02:06 PM
Racer

I also have TypeS rims on my car and there is absolutely no rubbing....I even measured all the spacing to figure out if there was any rubbing at all, but none discovered. I realized that I could also put 235/45/17 tires on too.

Hear me out guys, I believe there is a difference betweent the 99 model and the 00+ models. There is a different transmission and I'm thinking there are minor differences in the suspension components. By the way, I dropped my car with comptech springs and discovered nothing wrong.

So, for you 99'ers, sorry but no TypeS rims for you guys... I'm not sure all are that way, but I am assuming most are. I get this conclusion, because the CL-P cannot run on TypeS rims, so I'm thinking some of the TL's must have the same problem.

Lucky for me, I can run on them, because I really do like them a lot.

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL
* AEM SRI (blue)
* Denso Iridium Plugs
* Comptech Headers (coming soon)
* Comptech Springs
* Factory Bodykit
* Type S rims
* Inspire Tails
* Burlwood knob
* Tint
Old 04-14-2001, 05:22 PM
j83
Pro

Question

just wonderin but i think i remember that you made a little post on how to install the springs yourself, and just a long shot but may be that could be it... ???
Old 04-14-2001, 11:04 PM
Burning Brakes

I was thinking about changing to CLS rims too with the stock tires for my 99TL, so this is an important topic to me. Seems people have made the change successfully, but maybe with modifications and others still say it doesn't work and have to change the tire size.

Look forward to finding out the solution soon!
Old 04-14-2001, 11:27 PM
Jens

BMW,In all honesty I have no idea,we were told by Acura it should not be possible with only a general overview of why.They obviously know things about these cars we do not,it could be that only under certain circumstances will there be interference.It may be with lowering springs installed that something is different but I doubt it.As a rule remember that Acura engineers these cars,so they have insight we do not and the ability to try these cars out under virtually any circumstance imaginable.
In all honesty in my opinion I would not be inclined to go with the factory alloys wether they fit or not.The factory alloys are heavy at 26 pounds each for the same money you can buy lighter wheels in a size known to fit the car from places like the Tire Rack etc.Lighter wheels mean better acceleration and handling.Granted the factory wheels do look nice but they are heavy and costly and for my money I would prefer some function to go with the cost.Jens
Old 04-15-2001, 02:01 AM
Drifting

Bobatimez has had CL rims on for awhile and he says there is no problems.
Old 04-15-2001, 02:04 AM
Racer

Originally posted by SoundSpeed:
Bobatimez has had CL rims on for awhile and he says there is no problems.
Look guys, I have explained this more than once. The Type S rims do not have problems on the TL, but except for the 99's (maybe). Correct me if I am wrong. There are numerous people on this board that are running on TypeS rims.

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL
* AEM SRI (blue)
* Denso Iridium Plugs
* Comptech Springs
* Factory Bodykit
* Type S rims
* Inspire Tails
* Burlwood knob
* Tint
Old 04-15-2001, 04:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Bobatimez, HERE! okay. 99tl. 215/45/17. eibach springs 1.25". five passengers. luggage. lock to lock. no rub, not even a little. let me emphasize the 45!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not 50!!!!!!! go ahead and get the 50s if u want... maybe im just lucky.

------------------
Some Said, "TL Type S," Soon They Will Say, "Wannabe TL-S." Laguna METALLIC, Navi, Side Cuts, Tint All Around, Interior Footwell Lighting, Eibach ProKit, PIAA 1700x Fogs custom cut into side holes, Inspire Tails, 17" Type-S Rims with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's, Visor, Wood Shifter, Comptech Sways making me ride on rails...

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...026&Auth=false
Old 04-15-2001, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Even with these conflicting accounts, I still believe all you guys. Maybe the CL Type S rims work with no problems on a 99 and up TL (since members already are using them), even if Honda says this is not advisable.

However, check out:
www.Tirerack.com - AT ITALIA S5 -17". They look very similar to the Type S OEM rims, and they should work find as an aftermarket rim according to tirerack.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-15-2001, 12:45 PM
Racer

Originally posted by matt00tl:
I haven't had any problems w/ rubbing. i have comptech spring and stock cl-s tires and no problems,

Enough said!!

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL
* AEM SRI (blue)
* Denso Iridium Plugs
* Comptech Springs
* Factory Bodykit
* Type S rims
* Inspire Tails
* Burlwood knob
* Tint
Old 04-15-2001, 01:10 PM
Pro

LOL reading your posts there seems to be one common thing.... springs. Looks like the guys with dropped cars can handle it, the guys without can't. Just an observation. I'm interested tho, cuz I'm considering type S rims. But then Jens said they are heavy so i wonder. I guess if i get them for cheap and it justifies the cost, i'll go S otherwise, get some nice aftermarket ones.
Old 04-15-2001, 01:32 PM
Pro

Yeah, at 26lbs theyr'e pretty heavy!
Old 04-15-2001, 05:21 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by acuraguynj:

However, check out:
AT ITALIA S5 -17". They look very similar to the Type S OEM rims, and they should work find as an aftermarket rim according to tirerack.

I dunno... Italia S5 doesn't really look like Type S wheels.

I personally like the CL Types S rims regardless of its weight. It looks very OEM and clean. If those wheels had come in 18's, I'd considered them myself.

------------------
Y2K SiLVeR TL, non-navi
Factory style full body kit + spoiler
Volk Racing Versus Campionato SS7 18x7.5 52 offset w/ Toyo Proxes FZ4 225/40/18
Comptech Springs
PIAA 1700x w/ Inspire Foglight switch
Polarg M-12 Front turn signals
38% window tint all around
Valentine 1 w/ concealed display
Old 04-15-2001, 07:19 PM
Pro

Cool

Originally posted by Pimpin_TL:
LOL reading your posts there seems to be one common thing.... springs. Looks like the guys with dropped cars can handle it, the guys without can't. Just an observation.
But with a "dropped" car, you will have less room for the tire/wheel, as opposed to a "stock" car, right ? So, common logic would dictate otherwise, I suppose.

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 04-15-2001, 07:28 PM
Burning Brakes

SLVR TL,

I know what you mean about those ITALIA S5, but they are the closest and probably lighter too to the CL Type S rims, which I would like too.

But if you really want the CL Type S rims, I am sure you are going to get them. I like that clean OEM look too.

These ITALIA S5 from tirerack.com seems as good and I love that 5 spoke thick rim and you can also get a great pair of tires too at the same time if needed.

Old 04-15-2001, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Remember guys, this was with stock CLS 215/50/17 tires...I will probably end up with 215/45 or 225/45's. For some reason or another, my TL seems to be lower than all the other TL's I have see with Comptech springs(My car was way lower than wayneg's TL-S with Comptech springs and other mods too).. When I met up with ZodiakTL, My car was lower than his too... I installed all the springs properly, each one on the right side it's supposed to be.. I dunno man..
Ed
Old 04-15-2001, 11:05 PM
Racer

I don't understand what you guys are arguing about when there are people with pictures proving that TypeS rims do work without rubbing. Even the 50 series tires, which are the stock tires. Maybe on a 99' you have to get 45 series tires, but on my car the 50 series has way enough room.

------------------
2000 Satin Silver TL
* AEM SRI (blue)
* Denso Iridium Plugs
* Comptech Springs
* Factory Bodykit
* Type S rims
* Inspire Tails
* Burlwood knob
* Tint
Old 04-15-2001, 11:19 PM
Instructor

I haven't had any problems w/ rubbing. i have comptech spring and stock cl-s tires and no problems,

------------------
00 tl silver, navi, factory kit, wing, comptech springs, exhaust,weapon R intake,18 in. enkei spider 1's, and a full system upgrade,alarm bulbs,inspire tailights, mugen grille & chrome cl type s wheels. More to come
Old 04-16-2001, 03:32 AM
Pro

Hey Shof, As you know, I have Type-S rims on my 99 TL and have no problems. I am running 215-45's though. After talking with Bobatimez and several others, I got mine and have no problems. My car is also lowered w/ H&R OE sports. My car currently sits about 2" lower than stock. I have NO RUBBING with a full load of passengers taking all sorts of turns. Only problem with thi set up is the odometer will be slightly off and you may need to have it adjusted if you are staying permanently at this size. Good luck!

------------------
1999 Satin Silver TL Dunlop SP9000 215-45/17-mounted on CL-S 17" Rims
H&R Springs-Axiss MetalMasterPads-Crossdrilled Rotors
-Inspire Tailights-20/30/40 tint

2000 S2000 Honda Roadster
- Mingster Aeroscreen, Smokin Front mesh Grill, Clear Sidemarkers...
Old 04-16-2001, 08:33 AM
Senior Moderator

I think just to be safe, I'm gonna go with 215/45's..
Ed
Old 04-16-2001, 10:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hey shoof, next time i go to Park ave acura i will ask them to put a cls wheel on my '01 TL that way Jens can observe any possible differences between the model years. I too have Comptech springs.

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL

Comptech springs,Inspire tailights,Weapon-R hyper intake,Burlwood shift knob,Razo carbon fiber pedals,Inspire fog light switch (no fogs yet),BEL 870 radar detector
Old 04-16-2001, 10:42 AM
Pro

Hey, how much improvement did you notice when you got just the Axxis metal master pads? not counting new rotors. I am looking into it.

Originally posted by yu888:
Hey Shof, As you know, I have Type-S rims on my 99 TL and have no problems. I am running 215-45's though. After talking with Bobatimez and several others, I got mine and have no problems. My car is also lowered w/ H&R OE sports. My car currently sits about 2" lower than stock. I have NO RUBBING with a full load of passengers taking all sorts of turns. Only problem with thi set up is the odometer will be slightly off and you may need to have it adjusted if you are staying permanently at this size. Good luck!