I need some serious Help!!! Repainting my car for $750. should I take it, or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Even then, if its your first time you have to be VERY careful. If you arent aware of what you have to be looking for/doing you can easily make things worse. A DA sander would really help BUT if used wrong it can make things worse (ie trying to sand out chips, if you dont really, and i emphasize REALLY feather things out you will have all sorts of noticeable craters visible when painted) that and sand scratches. What you might not see can become very visible when painted. Not to scare you off, but just things that need to be pointed out.
True, but I figured any enthusiast would sand and tape off his/her car with more TLC than a MAACO paint guy.

Also Carson, that paint isn't nearly as awful as you say it is. It seems the look would greatly be improved with a DA buffer as far as those nasty swirls are concerned. But my car has those chips, dings and stuff too (it is white however, which masks the severity of the damage). Also, don't take the the wrong way, but what's with the Type-S logo?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaiLatte
with the Type-S logo?
I thought someone would say that...
Everything on my car is black and blue, blue lug nuts, blue from Acura emblem, all interior panels panted black with a blue stripe, blue interior led's and so on. For some weird reason one of my friends had 3 blue type-s badges and when he gave it to me I was like "Oh hell yes its blue!" and threw it on. At first I thought it was awesome and "rare". no other 2g's had the 3g type-s badge so I felt a little special...but now I'm kinda on the fence if I want to keep it or not.

Okay So after washing my car and spending a whole day staring at it the question is now should I repaint? or vinyl wrap?

I was thinking if I took it to maaco I would feel a lot more comfortable after they masked everything off to go and check their job and if I feel a spot needs more masking I would grab a roll of tape and fix it. Because that seems to be their biggest issue is overspray on the windows and other areas. I've been Looking at my body kit, it looks really really good.

But with a vinyl wrap it would be WAY cheeper. and maybe i could play around with a different color? like a matte dark blue?

anyone have any thoughts?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Instructor

Oh and I forgot to say I've buffed my car 5 times in the past 8 months (each time experimenting with different compounds) and results don't get much better.

I've been researching vinyl wrap and I can't decide what color! and plus theres a couple spots that worry me, such as the plastic bumper sort of thing near the bottom of the doors, I have no idea how to get the wrap under that.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gabru678
NO WAIT!!!
Why dont you get a wrap?
Like a vinyl wrap?
It would be farrrrr cheaper than just getting a shitty paint and you could go with all KINDS of finishes ) Brushed Black Alluminum.
I think I would do that.
Sorry I keep reposting, I'll stop after this one.
Holy shit I might do this...
Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Hey Carson-TL, just out of curiousity.....how much did ya pay initially for your TL ?

The reason that I ask is to set a base line on it's approximate wholesale value versus your own personal commitment with the car. IMO, alot depends on the overall condition of the car. If everything mechanically is really tight including the tranny and t-belt, then spending some money on paint would be justified in the long run. However, when the cost's of repainting are more than the value of the car......ya gotta think it out, Do ya love the car and is it a keeper ?

Sometimes your first love is blindsighted ! Take that from someone experienced and previously down that very same dead-end road. If ya are looking at 3 or 4 years, then treat her right.....otherwise make do and hold.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Instructor

My family bought the car 8 months ago for $3500, It had 180k on it and the condition was terrible (past owner used this car for his "smoking place" and really liked to spill coffee). I'm a neat freak so I've been cleaning this car like crazy, interior is back in pristine condition, and now all that's left is the exterior.
I realize that all my work going into the car is pretty much pointless since its value is so low, but I figure I'll probably be keeping this car for a long long time because all my work is out of love for this car. Oh, and one thing to think about is my parents pay for all of the checkups and maintenance, although I do try to do most work myself. And I pay for all the mods. Does that answer your question?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
MAACO has some of the worst paint jobs. Proper job is to remove all the lights, moldings, glass. Maaco doesn't do this. Vinyl is a good cheap alternative and would probably look a lot better than a Maaco paint job.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Hey man, a pretty wrap or a shiny new paint job isn't going to matter at the end of the day, if your tranny and basic mechanicals such as the T-belt and suspension are needing attention.

Make damn sure that the car is mechanically bulletproof before spending big bucks on any cosmetics. This will provide for a better opportunity to keep the car running longer and to be more dependable during your ownership. Once ya feel comfortable, start the mods and dress up the body for the long run !
Old 03-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
i feel like wrapping is just putting a big ass sticker over the problem
Old 03-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
the wrap is a great idea if you have a lot of time and patience and maybe another set of hands or two. Personally, I've never done it. But when I got my TL i hated the gold and researched any possible way of cheaply changing the colour (also 18 and on a budget). I remember reading a post on an S2k forum where the guy mentioned he has changed every part on a car at least once over his life and wrapping his whole car was the biggest pain in the ass. Now, this is someone that obviously does all his work himself and most likely more experienced than yourself (no offence) and he said he'd never attempt it again. I mention his experience because the best way of doing it is to take each part off and do them individually and hes done that before and Im guessing you haven't? I could be wrong though. So if you haven't itll take you that much longer to do this. Unless you decide to do it like the video in which case it didn't look like they removed anything.

Im just passing on the info that I got when I did my research so remember, this is just what I've heard. Personally, I decided to just suck it up and keep the gold. I realized when done right, theres really nothing wrong with it, IMO. Now, my paint is in great shape though, so its a bit of a different scenario.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Instructor

Hey man, a pretty wrap or a shiny new paint job isn't going to matter at the end of the day, if your tranny and basic mechanicals such as the T-belt and suspension are needing attention.
Everything is up to date, only thing I need to do is clean the shift solenoids (I'm sure they're getting a little clogged) and get an alignment. Other than that I'm pretty set.

the wrap is a great idea if you have a lot of time and patience and maybe another set of hands or two. Personally, I've never done it. But when I got my TL i hated the gold and researched any possible way of cheaply changing the colour (also 18 and on a budget). I remember reading a post on an S2k forum where the guy mentioned he has changed every part on a car at least once over his life and wrapping his whole car was the biggest pain in the ass. Now, this is someone that obviously does all his work himself and most likely more experienced than yourself (no offence) and he said he'd never attempt it again. I mention his experience because the best way of doing it is to take each part off and do them individually and hes done that before and Im guessing you haven't? I could be wrong though. So if you haven't itll take you that much longer to do this. Unless you decide to do it like the video in which case it didn't look like they removed anything.
I am aware of how much of a PINA wrapping a car is, thats why I'm thinking about having a professional do it! I was thinking I could do the Hood, roof, and truck because they are the easiest, and then have someone who knows what they're doing cover the doors and bumpers.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
thats a pretty good idea. It'll still cost more than $700 im pretty sure. Check out some local shops and let us know!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 on the Wrap. Just don't get any Matte color. Its too played out on GTR's and Vettes. Start by wrapping your wood grain. You'll learn how to manipulate the vinyl to curve and how to stretch it.

Its not too difficult of a thing to do, and loads more forgiving than trying to paint a car in anything other than a paint booth. I helped a buddy wrap his truck and it took just under a week to do spending like 2 hours a day working on it. The key to a good looking wrap is all in prep. The truck was cleaned and then we clay barred the entire thing. We took off the bumper, headlights, fender liner, bed cover, pretty much everything to make it easier to wrap. Its tons easier with a second set of hands as well.

At your age I wouldn't bother having a pro do it for you. Its $700 that you worked for, enjoy it. Go on your vacation and nail some Hawaiian ass. As long as everything is mechanically sound with your car that's all that should matter. I wouldn't pay anyone to do it for me though, are you going to pay ~$1,000 to make a 14 year old car look ... stock.

disclaimer: its late, some of the above post might not make sense. my bad.
The following users liked this post:
Carson-TL (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRafalik
+1 on the Wrap. Just don't get any Matte color. Its too played out on GTR's and Vettes. Start by wrapping your wood grain. You'll learn how to manipulate the vinyl to curve and how to stretch it.

Its not too difficult of a thing to do, and loads more forgiving than trying to paint a car in anything other than a paint booth. I helped a buddy wrap his truck and it took just under a week to do spending like 2 hours a day working on it. The key to a good looking wrap is all in prep. The truck was cleaned and then we clay barred the entire thing. We took off the bumper, headlights, fender liner, bed cover, pretty much everything to make it easier to wrap. Its tons easier with a second set of hands as well.

At your age I wouldn't bother having a pro do it for you. Its $700 that you worked for, enjoy it. Go on your vacation and nail some Hawaiian ass. As long as everything is mechanically sound with your car that's all that should matter. I wouldn't pay anyone to do it for me though, are you going to pay ~$1,000 to make a 14 year old car look ... stock.

disclaimer: its late, some of the above post might not make sense. my bad.
I agree on avoiding matte, I see it all the time. But I was looking into a gloss vinyl and read that gloss is a bad idea because when you stretch it the gloss look gets screwed up and looks bad. Thats why I'm thinking the Aluminum brushed black because it has a bit of shine to it but still matte so that stretching it wouldn't look bad. Oh and a while ago I covered my interior panels in carbon fiber wrap, it was a good experience but carbon fiber isn't my look so I took it off a week later. What color did your friend wrap his truck in? Is there any colors you prefer? I'm still pretty set on keeping my car black.

I want to wrap it my self, but there are a couple spots that are making me scratch my head in confusion.

1. The chrome trim around the windows. how the hell do I wrap that part of the door? Do I have to take off the chrome?

2. the little bumper thing at the bottom of the door. Is there a way to take that off?

3. Am I going to have to take the door handles off?
Attached Thumbnails I need some serious Help!!! Repainting my car for 0. should I take it, or wait?-untitled.png  
Old 03-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carson-TL
I agree on avoiding matte, I see it all the time. But I was looking into a gloss vinyl and read that gloss is a bad idea because when you stretch it the gloss look gets screwed up and looks bad. Thats why I'm thinking the Aluminum brushed black because it has a bit of shine to it but still matte so that stretching it wouldn't look bad. Oh and a while ago I covered my interior panels in carbon fiber wrap, it was a good experience but carbon fiber isn't my look so I took it off a week later. What color did your friend wrap his truck in? Is there any colors you prefer? I'm still pretty set on keeping my car black.

I want to wrap it my self, but there are a couple spots that are making me scratch my head in confusion.

1. The chrome trim around the windows. how the hell do I wrap that part of the door? Do I have to take off the chrome?

2. the little bumper thing at the bottom of the door. Is there a way to take that off?

3. Am I going to have to take the door handles off?
The best thing to do is not to get poor quality vinyl. With a good quality vinyl (3M) you should be able to stretch it to work around any rounded part without compromising the finish. My friend's truck was wrapped in gloss black. Honestly I would get a color that is pretty close to your existing exterior color. It'll look pretty dumb when your showing off your performance parts and they are no where near a match.

1. Google Shadowline Trim Black-out tape. Its made specifically to go over window trim, or plasti-dip it.
2. Somebody has to have taken those off before and made a DIY on it.
3. Same as above.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=TRafalik;14362571]Google Shadowline Trim Black-out tape. Its made specifically to go over window trim, or plasti-dip it./QUOTE]

Oh well I was hoping to keep it chrome....so I'm guessing I'd have to remove it also.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Wow, really glad my wrap idea got some good conversation going :thumbs:
I would keep google-ing and researching.

I have really looked into wraps and stuff and have done some things to my car with the wrap.
My advice would be that if you really want to do this you are going to need to know what it is exactly that you need:
The wrap itself, Stick to the 3M series of wraps. Yes you can cheap out but they are MUCH harder to deal with, have shittier finishes and cold affects them much more.
I would even say use only the 1080 finishes only. They have these small air channels that you can literally push out an air bubble from one side of the object to the other and have a nice clean finish at the end with no warp.
Heat gun: I used one I found at Home Depot for $20 and its been great. even too hot at times and warped some of the chrome badging when I was de-badging.
Squeege: your definatly going to need this if you use non air-tube wrap. If you do use the air-tube one you will be mostly ok with a credit card.

The thing with wraps is that they require a different type of care than a paint would and have their own plus' and minus'
Remember that if you chip something or get a door ding you could buff it out with paint. On a wrap you can probably work it out with a heat gun and flatten it out. but if that chip is compromised your going to have to re-wrap the whole piece.
And if left in heat and generally abused they may form white cracks and be really hard to take off. In which case it may compromise your paint underneath and even peel it off! :panic:

For some real world examples alot of BMW guys like wraps, Google their forum posts and see what they have been through. I saw a F10 BMW 5-Series that was wrapped in a brushed aluminum finish that instantly wet my pants lol

Just be aware, and I honestly think you should try it out. Your car is old enough where spending money to make it look ... stock is something not many people other than us on here, and you will care/even notice.
The following users liked this post:
Carson-TL (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Wow, really glad my wrap idea got some good conversation going :thumbs:
I would keep google-ing and researching.

I have really looked into wraps and stuff and have done some things to my car with the wrap.
My advice would be that if you really want to do this you are going to need to know what it is exactly that you need:
The wrap itself, Stick to the 3M series of wraps. Yes you can cheap out but they are MUCH harder to deal with, have shittier finishes and cold affects them much more.
I would even say use only the 1080 finishes only. They have these small air channels that you can literally push out an air bubble from one side of the object to the other and have a nice clean finish at the end with no warp.
Heat gun: I used one I found at Home Depot for $20 and its been great. even too hot at times and warped some of the chrome badging when I was de-badging.
Squeege: your definatly going to need this if you use non air-tube wrap. If you do use the air-tube one you will be mostly ok with a credit card.

The thing with wraps is that they require a different type of care than a paint would and have their own plus' and minus'
Remember that if you chip something or get a door ding you could buff it out with paint. On a wrap you can probably work it out with a heat gun and flatten it out. but if that chip is compromised your going to have to re-wrap the whole piece.
And if left in heat and generally abused they may form white cracks and be really hard to take off. In which case it may compromise your paint underneath and even peel it off! :panic:

For some real world examples alot of BMW guys like wraps, Google their forum posts and see what they have been through. I saw a F10 BMW 5-Series that was wrapped in a brushed aluminum finish that instantly wet my pants lol

Just be aware, and I honestly think you should try it out. Your car is old enough where spending money to make it look ... stock is something not many people other than us on here, and you will care/even notice.

Wow, That was actually a super helpful response! "stock is something not many people other than us on here, and you will care/even notice." Thats exactly what I've been thinking about! I've been debating if I want to keep the stock black, or make it something interesting that'll turn heads. I'm actually really thinking about brushed aluminum black, It has a very different texture thats not matte, but not gloss either. Ill definitely look around though. Thanks again!