I need some serious Help!!! Repainting my car for $750. should I take it, or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I need some serious Help!!! Repainting my car for $750. should I take it, or wait?

Last week I took my body kit to Maaco to get it painted, I chose them because they painted it for $300 (best price in town). Today I stopped in to check in on how the painting is going. When I pulled in the manager walked out and greeted me and talked about my car. super duper nice guy actually everyone I've dealt with has been sooo nice there. Then he got talking about the paint on my car, e entire thing looks like a spider web, the hood is full of crows feet, the bumper has a ton of chips, and both doors have some noticeable dings. Thats when he said,
-"well if you're here painting the body kit why don't you get the whole car repainted? we are super slow right now (its true there were no other cars parked there) and I need to give my employees a project to keep them busy.
-Then I said "Oh my god that would be friggin awesome but dude I'm only 17, I'm not made of money. What price are you thinking?
-like maybe $1000.
-ah man I only have like $700 to spend right now...
-okay...honestly, I'll do it for $750. this price will not stay for long at all, people might start coming in and we won't be able to give you another bargain like this.

Don't know why I added the dialog but you get the point.

So I'm stuck. I'm 17, I have like only $700 right now so if I did repaint it my bank account it would be about at $0. I pay for gas. I'm going to hawaii in june and need a couple hundred for that. my car is at 187k so I need to change the Timing belt soon (or maybe it was already done? I have to look at the carfax). and I just don't like not having money.

BUT. REPAINT FOR $750!!! Okay is it just me or does that seem like a screaming deal!!?!?!?!? I almost don't want to pass this up! My car looks ugly and it would be supra nice! I have a steady job so the money would slowly work its way back up.

AAHHH I don't know!!!?!?! Please! I Need feedback!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 AM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
Only would take it if Paint was so Damaged that a Polish would not make it look nice... And is Full of Scratches.

If your paint is OKAY (Not Good, but not Damaged Either) Please DO YOUR GOD DAMN TIMING BELT! Better to do what prevents your car from being totaled that what makes it look nice.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Did he go into detail what kind of paint-job? Not all paint-jobs are alike. I'd rather have crappy OEM paint than spend 750 bucks on questionable work. Save your money. Unless your paint is in dire shape and is rusting, I'd pass.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A proper paint job with prep and body work can cost 3000. 750 bucks is crazy low and you can expect that from maaco. The quality of their work really depends on how passionate the body man is. It could be someone who doesn't give a shit or someone who loves what he does. Spend your money elsewhere.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I would never take my car to Maaco and I would never agree to getting my car painted for $750 unless it was a very close friend/family member who hooks it up big time. When you put those two together...
Old 03-05-2013, 01:58 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
My advice to you is to NOT have your car painted at Maaco. I'd give my 8 year old a spray gun and let her attempt to paint it before I'd let Maaco do it.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
Maaco doesn't do good quality paint jobs, I would never take my car there unless all the paint peeled off and I didn't care to keep the car
Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
question for the OP.

would you want your car to be busy work for the employees?
when my boss hands me busy work...I rage quit inside.
its just busy work.
just to keep them busy.
will they do a good job?
I totally slack when I get busy jobs...
Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts
Does Maaco use low quality paint or is it their half-ass procedure that makes it a low quality paint job?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by victus1
Does Maaco use low quality paint or is it their half-ass procedure that makes it a low quality paint job?
for $750 I would think its a little of both.

most of the time its poor prep jobs.
its expensive (in man hours) to strip the paint while taking care of all the little details, like masking off certain areas, sanding down what needs to be sanded down, taking off headlights, tail lights, etc.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Talking 187k....T-belt or repaint ????

Originally Posted by Carson-TL
Thats when he said,
-"well if you're here painting the body kit why don't you get the whole car repainted? we are super slow right now (its true there were no other cars parked there) and I need to give my employees a project to keep them busy.

Don't know why I added the dialog but you get the point.

So I'm stuck. I'm 17, I have like only $700 right now so if I did repaint it my bank account it would be about at $0. I pay for gas. I'm going to hawaii in june and need a couple hundred for that. my car is at 187k so I need to change the Timing belt soon, and I just don't like not having money.

BUT. REPAINT FOR $750!!! Okay is it just me or does that seem like a screaming deal!!?!?!?!? I almost don't want to pass this up!

AAHHH I don't know!!!?!?! Please! I Need feedback!!!

Ya can't have it all.....Hawaii, T-belt ?......shiny cheap paint ? Ya gotta have your own priorities along with consequences !
Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^+1 on that. Just make sure you have enough money to fix what may happen because you never know. Paint is just pain, it's cosmetic!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 AM
2000 acura tl FPR

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
body kit?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by assclown
body kit?
Someone had to say it.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Instructor

I don't think you guys understand, my cars paint is BAD. on the driver side door the last owner used blue touch up paint to cover up some scratches.....my car is black. along the edges of both the back wheel wells its all rusted. The hood is covered in really bad crows feet, just like in the picture.

The list can keep going on and on...

Whats so bad about Maaco? I'm sure what they can do would look a lot better than what it looks like now. does their paint not last very long or something? would my car look like a giant orange peel or something?

The manager walked me back into their painting booth and showed me exactly what they would do and how they would get some dents out and walked me through the entire process. Seems like good quality work to me.

The body kit (whats wrong with me saying body kit?) pieces they already painted look very good, I didn't get a super good look at them because they were still a little wet. I'll get a better look when I pick them up today.

Someone should just explain to me how maaco's work is really poor. yeah I know they just mask everything off instead of taking the body parts off which could cause overspray, but what else?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Instructor

oh and I looked at the carfax and the tbelt was changed at 179k, just before i bought the car.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 PM

if poor prep work then poor paint job.
that is all.

a good quaility paint job cost from $3k - 6k.

if you get it painted it might look good for a short period of time; but who is to say that the clear coat wont fail again causing those crows feet.
its ultimately up to you on how you choose to spend your money; but standing from the outside looking in; it would be better to spend your money elsewhere, for example your vacation.

oh and I believe the guise are poking fun because its a lip kit and not so much a body kit. I know I know, tomato tomahto.

Last edited by justnspace; 03-05-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
if poor prep work then poor paint job.
that is all.

a good quaility paint job cost from $3k - 6k.

if you get it painted it might look good for a short period of time; but who is to say that the clear coat wont fail again causing those crows feet.
its ultimately up to you on how you choose to spend your money; but standing from the outside looking in; it would be better to spend your money elsewhere, for example your vacation.

oh and I believe the guise are poking fun because its a lip kit and not so much a body kit. I know I know, tomato tomahto.
Well I might sound like an idiot saying this but if the clear coat fails (which would be what like a year or so later? or maybe more?), I'll just take it back, thus, I still payed less then a $3k-6k pain job. I mean thats what think...it does sound stupid I know, but dude it would look so much better then it does, and if I do have to repaint it a second time, I'll probably have sold my car or have gotten a new car by then.

A lip is the front part of a whole body kit I thought. What, should I say underspoiler, or ground effects instead?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:47 PM
rebmeM deretsigeR

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Maaco paint job is essentially if you are trying to sell the car and want it to look shiny long enough for someone else to deal with it later on.

If you do the prep work ahead of time, then it may turn out decent. Take your time and do everything that you would want to be done yourself and then let them do the painting. Still, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. However, if you really want it, go for it. Decision is yours and your alone.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:57 PM

Well I might sound like an idiot saying this but if the clear coat fails (which would be what like a year or so later? or maybe more?), I'll just take it back, thus, I still payed less then a $3k-6k pain job. I mean thats what think...it does sound stupid I know, but dude it would look so much better then it does, and if I do have to repaint it a second time, I'll probably have sold my car or have gotten a new car by then.

A lip is the front part of a whole body kit I thought. What, should I say underspoiler, or ground effects instead?
then you better make sure the warranty covers all defects/clear coat failure/etc for a long period of time.
Also, I would pop into the shop while they are painting it to see how its going.
making sure you tell them that you are anal about your car and want it perfect, etc...
however; I dont think you're going to get a warranty that covers longer than 90 days.

and see i told you about the lip thing...tomato...tomahto.

and see what I mean by your money can be better spent by spending it on something else....
I'll probably have sold my car or have gotten a new car by then.
if thats the goal, then why paint it in the first place!!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:56 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
I'd rather spend that 750 on booze and chicks in Hawaii than on a Maaco paint job.
The following 2 users liked this post by 03tLsNBP:
assclown (03-05-2013), justnspace (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If paint is your priority, go for it...but i'd listen to ALL the people that are trying to tell you to be cautious. Maaco is notorious for lousy slapped on paint jobs. Spend the money on making the car better. For the price, you could get the materials and do it your self and learn some diy paint prep details...it's not really that hard and it's always better to build than to buy.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Um... Well I'm really about to spin this. You guys forget he's 17yo, probably on the low-end of part time hours, & his car is a 00' car with almost 200k miles. Also let's keep in mind that the body kit is already at Macco being painted so might as well do the same paint so it matches. I say GO FOR IT!!! This car is probably going to last him through college so why not make a going on 14yo TL look better that what it is. I mean what would you guys really invest on painting a 13.5yo car? Is anyone else seeing my point. Maybe im the only other person that was raised in a middle-class family where i had to work after school to pay a car payment ($264/mo i remember clearly). You learn early to streeeetch a buck.
The following 3 users liked this post by ParaSurfer1979:
03tl-s04mdx (03-08-2013), 412KING (03-18-2013), Carson-TL (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, i remember when my uncle shot my first car when I was 16 with paint....a '67 Nova for $100,
nice candy red lasted a year until I wrapped it around a tree ! Loved it while I had it.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
my car is black. along the edges of both the back wheel wells its all rusted.

The manager walked me back into their painting booth and showed me exactly what they would do and how they would get some dents out and walked me through the entire process. Seems like good quality work to me.

Someone should just explain to me how maaco's work is really poor. yeah I know they just mask everything off instead of taking the body parts off which could cause overspray, but what else?
I will point a few things out and explain a little.

The MAIN/BIG issue is with Maaco's prep work. For the majority of the work, They scuff it with Scotch-Brite pads, and not with proper sanding.

1.) If there is rust, you wont get rid of it, especially at Maaco. They dont do the proper amount of prep for that. At best they will sand it and paint over it, which will only hide it for a brief period and in most cases cause it to rust worse.

2.) Walking you to show you a paint booth shouldnt impress or show you anything (especially by law they have to have one to filter the painting process before going out into the atmosphere) . I have painted many, many cars, many with show car finishes in my garage. Paint booths just make things easier for the painter to keep dust off.

1 of many, and what is involved, The whole thread here with many more pictures

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/my-s10-project-%2Aupdated%2A-2-7-09-a-707615/

3.) Most times unless you specifically ask for it,Especially with whole car paint jobs where they dont have to match or blend, Maaco uses single stage paint (lacquer) and not base clear.

4.) Did i mention prep. Prep is more important than the paint. And is where 95% of where there is issues with Maacos paint finishes. I cant tell you the cars i have seen come out of there with sand scratches, blemishes etc.. which is all to do with prep. I had a friend work there in high school. He said they would throw 5-6 guys on a car and scuff it down in 30 min and have it in the paint booth in under an hour being sprayed. That isnt prep. It should take them that long to wash and degrease the car BEFORE painting.

For you and your budget you can, just dont expect it to last or be as good as a/your factory finish. Sure you have some issues with your paint, but just be prepared for the possibility of similar issues down the road.
The following 2 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
03tl-s04mdx (03-08-2013), justnspace (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Um... Well I'm really about to spin this. You guys forget he's 17yo, probably on the low-end of part time hours, & his car is a 00' car with almost 200k miles. Also let's keep in mind that the body kit is already at Macco being painted so might as well do the same paint so it matches. I say GO FOR IT!!! This car is probably going to last him through college so why not make a going on 14yo TL look better that what it is. I mean what would you guys really invest on painting a 13.5yo car? Is anyone else seeing my point. Maybe im the only other person that was raised in a middle-class family where i had to work after school to pay a car payment ($264/mo i remember clearly). You learn early to streeeetch a buck.
Ah yes! That is exactly it! Your spot on!

Okay you know what, I will post pictures of my car showing most of the terrible areas and then lets see what you guys say, I think some of you will change your mind. When I say my paint job is bad, I mean IT IS BAD. BAD enough for a crappy maaco respray to make me happy.

The MAIN/BIG issue is with Maaco's prep work. For the majority of the work, They scuff it with Scotch-Brite pads, and not with proper sanding.
Wait so instead of using sand paper they use those pads made for washing dishes!?!?! Okay that sounds a little scary....
Old 03-06-2013, 10:58 AM

Wait so instead of using sand paper they use those pads made for washing dishes!?!?! Okay that sounds a little scary....
LIKE we've been telling you.
you get what you pay for.

it might look GREAT for a couple of months to years, but what happens when it starts getting fucked up again?
you spent 750 for nothing!!

and if your ultimate goal is to sell the car; it be a waste to spend 750!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Okay you know what, I will post pictures of my car showing most of the terrible areas and then lets see what you guys say, I think some of you will change your mind. When I say my paint job is bad, I mean IT IS BAD. BAD enough for a crappy maaco respray to make me happy.

There is a difference, there are ones made for body work. While i too use them for "some" things, i dont use them for sanding the whole car for repainting. You just dont get an even sanding, and can cause areas not to be scuffed (areas where paint wont bite/stick) or deeper scratches.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:44 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember being 17, getting a shitty paint job on my 79 el camino that was a decent black with some grey primer after it was a gunmetal grey. Less than a year later it needed some serious fixing, peeling cracking flaking. I would have been better off investing in the motor, trans, rear end and suspension for the amount i paid for the paint...I'd rather run good than look good is my point.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Exclamation Ah yes ! That is exactly it ! Your spot on !

Okay that sounds a little scary....

Hey Carson-TL, I think that you've already made your mind up.....so just go with it, rather than bother wasting time asking our opinions !!!!!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
NO WAIT!!!
Why dont you get a wrap?
Like a vinyl wrap?
It would be farrrrr cheaper than just getting a shitty paint and you could go with all KINDS of finishes ) Brushed Black Alluminum.
I think I would do that.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
^ that or plasti dip.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Gabru678
NO WAIT!!!
Why dont you get a wrap?
Like a vinyl wrap?
It would be farrrrr cheaper than just getting a shitty paint and you could go with all KINDS of finishes ) Brushed Black Alluminum.
I think I would do that.
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeDave
^ that or plasti dip.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 PM
MechEng

vinyl wrap isn't any cheaper quality job is 2K minimum. that was the lowest quote i got.

plasti dip might be better if you can get it done for less than 500. don't rattle can it.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Hey Carson-TL, I think that you've already made your mind up.....so just go with it, rather than bother wasting time asking our opinions !!!!!
+1
Please, please don't be one of those people who asks for opinions just so he can get the answer he wants. We want to help you here. There are some really experienced guys here who know what they're talking about. Like they said, from what I hear Maaco's fault is that they do bad prep work. If you want, you can look up how to sand your car yourself and tape off the areas yourself as well. That may even net you a discount!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ChaiLatte
+1
Please, please don't be one of those people who asks for opinions just so he can get the answer he wants. We want to help you here. There are some really experienced guys here who know what they're talking about. Like they said, from what I hear Maaco's fault is that they do bad prep work. If you want, you can look up how to sand your car yourself and tape off the areas yourself as well. That may even net you a discount!
Even then, if its your first time you have to be VERY careful. If you arent aware of what you have to be looking for/doing you can easily make things worse. A DA sander would really help BUT if used wrong it can make things worse (ie trying to sand out chips, if you dont really, and i emphasize REALLY feather things out you will have all sorts of noticeable craters visible when painted) that and sand scratches. What you might not see can become very visible when painted. Not to scare you off, but just things that need to be pointed out.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
DO NOT do maaco. its that cheap for a reason, they cut way to many corners to be able to make any money off a 750$ paint job. i would definitely suggest a base and a clear paint job, none of that single stage crap. save up and spend more for a quality job. for your car you'll probably spend right around 2k for a good job
Old 03-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Hmmmmm....you guys are actually giving me ideas....

I have been completely steered away from maaco. I googled them for reviews and read some pretty nasty stories.

Sorry, I kinda disappeared from acurazine for a few days...I am actually going outside in 10 minuets to take pictures of my car....actually no change of plan. I'm going to wash my car THEN I'll take some pictures. I wan't some opinions.

But now that you guys are mentioning a vinyl wrap I just had a bajillion ideas. How strong is vinyl and where could I go do get a shop to do it? Or is it an easy thing to diy?
Old 03-08-2013, 03:42 PM
MechEng

Vinyl is pretty strong. It will last for at least 4-5 years, with no damage to the paint underneath (which you probably don't care about in this case). It can be done with you and a friend but it is difficult and frustrating work. Like I said in my post before, the cheapest vinyl quote I got from a pro shop was $2K. You could do it yourself for under 500.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Instructor

I took some pictures and I'm a little disappointed, the camera couldn't pick up some areas because it was so bright out. But hopefully this gives you guys an idea how much of a POS my paint is.

So first off I want to say the Maaco actually did a really good job painting my body kit, I had a friend help me and he doesn't know the difference between a Philips and a flat head screw driver. He repeatedly smacked my side skirts on the pillars in my garage and drilled into it with the painted side face down on the cement.... that hurt my sole pretty hard to see him do that but hey I love the dude. I had to yell at him a few times. BUT anyway I don't see ANY marks on any of the pieces! Not even the faintest scratch on the clear coat! They told me they were going to use their most durable clear coat, I just didn't know it was that durable!

Okay back on to show my shitty paint job...

http://s379.beta.photobucket.com/use...tml?sort=3&o=4

http://s379.beta.photobucket.com/use...tml?sort=3&o=8

This is my major trouble spot. The owner before me used blue touch up paint on my driver side door. This is what I really wanted to show the since the sky was reflecting off the blue blended in.

http://s379.beta.photobucket.com/use...tml?sort=3&o=2
http://s379.beta.photobucket.com/use...tml?sort=3&o=3

Last edited by Carson-TL; 03-08-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: I need some serious Help!!! Repainting my car for $750. should I take it, or wait?