i made a HUGE mistake, is my car ok??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 05:38 PM
Peach Tea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face i made a HUGE mistake, is my car ok??

ok, so yesterday i took off my 18s and put on stock 16s for winter. while doing so i had my e brake on and when i finished i forgot to take it off. now since there is snow and ice on the ground, i thought the reason i wasnt moving is because it was slippery.
so i took my car on the interstate, with the e brake still on and i got up to about 90mph. when i got back my friend (who was driving in another car) said "damn dude i smell brakes!" so i was like OH S#!t and i look down and see my ebrake is still on. did i damage something? i dont usually use the e brake anyway...
Old 01-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: i made a HUGE mistake, is my car ok??

Originally posted by badazzTL
ok, so yesterday i took off my 18s and put on stock 16s for winter. while doing so i had my e brake on and when i finished i forgot to take it off. now since there is snow and ice on the ground, i thought the reason i wasnt moving is because it was slippery.
so i took my car on the interstate, with the e brake still on and i got up to about 90mph. when i got back my friend (who was driving in another car) said "damn dude i smell brakes!" so i was like OH S#!t and i look down and see my ebrake is still on. did i damage something? i dont usually use the e brake anyway...
holy f*ck man, 90 MPH and you had your e-brake on??? don't you ever look down at your speedometer? Whenever I check my speed I glance at the whole dash. I would definitely notice if my e-brake was on. You may have put so much stress on the e-brake that it no longer will be effective. You may have stripped it down to almost nothing. Next time you drive, try engaging it, and see if it can still hold the car while it's in d5.

good luck with that.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You probably just ate up your pads...just get new ones.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:10 PM
Pro

beside the e-brake pad worn down to nothing, the drum might warped and (not to scare you with the TL famous tranny defects) you worked your engine and transmission quite hard during that time. The rear brake probably overheat. Beside checking the pads and drums, check the brake plumbing for leak, check the tranny fluid for abnormal discoloration too.

And if i remember correctly, the manual said that driving with the e-brake on you might damage the rear axles ... (probably not)
Old 01-29-2004, 06:20 PM
Instructor

The emergency brake uses a drum in the rear wheels, it uses the discs when you are driving. You may have affected the use of the emergency brake, but the disc brakes should be fine.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:37 PM
Pro

we have drums in the back?
Old 01-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Pro

yea we have disk for normal brake and drum for e-brake

Originally posted by elah
we have drums in the back?
Old 01-29-2004, 07:28 PM
New Life

Originally posted by Bigmonkey70
yea we have disk for normal brake and drum for e-brake
What the......You better look at your car because if I ever think about having drums for the rear brake I'm running to the dealer to turn in my car.

We have 4 disc brake system. Please check your info before you pass the wrong information.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally posted by maxx96
What the......You better look at your car because if I ever think about having drums for the rear brake I'm running to the dealer to turn in my car.

We have 4 disc brake system. Please check your info before you pass the wrong information.
the rear of our car has disk brakes for normal stoping. our parking braks IS A DRUM! the drum part of the brake is in the hub part of the rotor, so Bigmonkey 70 is correct!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Banned

Yeah Dumb A$$- check your info before you open your mouth! Or how bout you take your car back and look like a dumba$$ infront of all the service guys.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:29 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

dont worry corey, just get your pads (e-brake pads inside the hub) checked... you will probably need new ones.

and maybe u can get the wire checked... might have stretched or somethin'

@cUr@-TL
Old 01-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by fsttyms1
the rear of our car has disk brakes for normal stoping. our parking braks IS A DRUM! the drum part of the brake is in the hub part of the rotor, so Bigmonkey 70 is correct!
Owned!
Old 01-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Drifting

allittle late in winter to change rims isnt it?....im waiting to put my 18s back on!

anyway....should be fine....once you get moving the stress on the engine and trans isnt that great.....you probably just need new pads and get your parking brake cable adjusted...altho the pads arent designed to be spinning inside the hub...you might want to check the hub for wear...and you might need new rotors if the hub has worn to thin...but you'll know soon enough if the rest of the rotor warps
Old 01-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator

ive got 3 winters of parking brake (donuts and such) on my parking brake and its still fine, and ive also used mine to help slow down from high speeds like that (so that the cop couldnt see my brakelights) quite afew times. i think you will be ok, you may for a pieceof mind want to have it checked out though
Old 01-30-2004, 10:53 AM
New Life

"Your Acura is equipped with disc brakes at all four wheels. A power assist helps reduce the effort needed on the brake pedal. The ABS helps you retain steering control when braking very hard."

This is a quote from the manual, now if 2003TLSnKc can find in any book or manual that this is different then I will stand corrected, 'til then, have a little respect when you talk to people or you may need to go back to high school where this kind of talk takes place.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by fsttyms1
ive got 3 winters of parking brake (donuts and such) on my parking brake and its still fine, and ive also used mine to help slow down from high speeds like that (so that the cop couldnt see my brakelights) quite afew times. i think you will be ok, you may for a pieceof mind want to have it checked out though
How does the e-brake disengage while doing this. I'd like to do the same things when passing cops but I usually downshift in SS mode. Obviously not as effective, and obviously undue stress over time. I was always apprehensive to use the ebrake for fear of stopping short suddenly or something. How do you do it?
Old 01-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Banned

Take it to Midas or Tire Kingdom for a free brake inspection.

Even if you need service, it shouldn't be that expensive.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Drifting

Dang!
Old 01-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Instructor

MAXX96-

Take a little of your own advice about talking to people with respect. The information is indeed correct. There is a drum system on the rear wheels only that is used only during application of the ebrake. The disc system is used during normal braking. It is you who wrongly accused us of spreading misinformation. Instead of accusing us, you should ask questions first. You won't look like such an idiot in the future.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
I would like to know how to use the ebrake to slow down also.

You have to completely depress it to release, so how do you partially engage and then disengage without a full application?
Old 01-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
I would like to know how to use the ebrake to slow down also.

You have to completely depress it to release, so how do you partially engage and then disengage without a full application?
Old 01-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Banned

"Your Acura is equipped with disc brakes at all four wheels. A power assist helps reduce the effort needed on the brake pedal. The ABS helps you retain steering control when braking very hard."

This is a quote from the manual, now if 2003TLSnKc can find in any book or manual that this is different then I will stand corrected, 'til then, have a little respect when you talk to people or you may need to go back to high school where this kind of talk takes place.
Do you know how to read english? Did you even read what these guys are typing? Do you know what the ebrake/parking brake is?
Old 01-30-2004, 11:26 AM
Banned

Guys, you don't need to fully engage the ebrake to disengage it. Go to your cars and lightly tap the ebrake. Then hit it again to disengage. You don't need to fully depress it to disenage it. fsttyms1 isn't pulling your legs or anything, I have done it a couple of times. Just make sure you don't lead foot the ebrake else the car's ass will drift and you'll be fuked. It's still a big pain to use then my Accord's hand ebrake.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
MAXX96 IS AN IDIOT
Old 01-30-2004, 11:37 AM
Banned

Here is a pic for that one member who just can't understand.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:38 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

maxx96=OWNED

@cUr@-TL
Old 01-30-2004, 11:41 AM
Instructor

THANK YOU IGGY and Hzm82.

I beleive about the ebrake and only partially stepping on it. I want to do that, just not sure how. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Banned

Re: i made a HUGE mistake, is my car ok??

Originally posted by badazzTL
bro is your "BRAKE" light out or something???? You don't see that RED light on the gauge? If you took it to 90 mph, I'm sure you only had it depressed to one or two clicks. I would still have it checked out.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Pro

What a great way to end a discussion with an idiot.

Maybe he, maxx96, now think that the helm pages that Iggy attached isn't for the TL or even better, the Helm pages are wrong.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Banned

Gentleman,

Let us stay on topic, and refrain from the personal attacks please.

Old 01-30-2004, 12:14 PM
Pro

Re: Re: i made a HUGE mistake, is my car ok??

Sometimes we just don't pay attention to that little light, special when we are in a hurry. What make it even worse is that the ebrake handle/pedal isn't locate where you can see it and get in the way of your shifting. I've been driving my SC300 and the Celica stickshift fulltime and I still forgot to disengage the TL twice, but only for like a second or so when i realized i wasn't moving. And Yes Maxx96, I checked my SC300 for the last few years, it also have drum e-brake and is a stickshift

Back on the OP topics, probably no major damage to the braking system and/or rear axle, but you should check it anyway for safety sake and change the brake shoes. The warping you might have to wait to know

Originally posted by hzm82
bro is your "BRAKE" light out or something???? You don't see that RED light on the gauge? If you took it to 90 mph, I'm sure you only had it depressed to one or two clicks. I would still have it checked out.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:44 PM
New Life

Originally posted by Z Factor
Gentleman,

Let us stay on topic, and refrain from the personal attacks please.

After looking at the break down of the disc and parking brake assembly, I stand corrected as I didn't know that there was an inner portion within the disc that our cars use for parking brake.
This is why I said what I said about our cars having 4 disc brake and I figured that when you apply the parking brake the rear pads came into contact with the disc thus applying the brake.

I always give good advice and research my input before I present it to the person asking the question, this is why I get mad when I hear that the wrong info is passed down, in this case I was not aware of this particular piece of information.

With all this said, and for those who flame me, I know now who you are and how you are and more important the rest of the forum knows who you are and how you are so good luck to you getting respect from the rest of the true TL family, as far as I'm concern, I'm not going to lower my self to your level.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by MikeTL-S
THANK YOU IGGY and Hzm82.

I beleive about the ebrake and only partially stepping on it. I want to do that, just not sure how. Thanks for the info.
next time your just sitting in your car just push the e-brake half way down and take your foot off of it. then just slightly tap it with your foot again and you will see that you dont need to push it all the way to dissengage it.
its not a all or nothing brake either. the more you push on it the more it grabs. just dont slam it to the floor while moving or you will lock up the rear tires , unless you are purposly trying to do that to whip the car around
Old 01-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Banned

MAXX96- let me get this straight, you appologize for giving out misinformation, then you make it out to be others who were flaming people? You started this whole thing by chastising another member about stating wrong facts, then saying , " Im going to return my car if this is true...blah blah blah..." So if blaming others for you own faults makes you feel better, then go ahead and do it then.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Banned

After looking at the break down of the disc and parking brake assembly, I stand corrected as I didn't know that there was an inner portion within the disc that our cars use for parking brake.
This is why I said what I said about our cars having 4 disc brake and I figured that when you apply the parking brake the rear pads came into contact with the disc thus applying the brake.

I always give good advice and research my input before I present it to the person asking the question, this is why I get mad when I hear that the wrong info is passed down, in this case I was not aware of this particular piece of information.

With all this said, and for those who flame me, I know now who you are and how you are and more important the rest of the forum knows who you are and how you are so good luck to you getting respect from the rest of the true TL family, as far as I'm concern, I'm not going to lower my self to your level.
Brush all of that salt of your shoulder...feel salty don't you.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:05 PM
Banned

Three members told you the parking brake uses the drum brakes and you still kept on going blasting off remarks about how we have 4 wheel disc brakes. I have no problem with you saying what you thought was right but you still refuse to listen to others and you sounded very arrogant. That's where everyone's problem lies with you.

If you get mad at misinformation, then you should be mad at yourself right now huh? Everyone flamed at you not because you were WRONG. It was because you kept on being thick headed and not listening to what they had to say. If you wanted respect, give it first. I bet you didn't even read what everyone had to say. Because it seems to me you were arguing against all the forum members who responded in this thread.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:56 PM
Intermediate

yeah i would like to know how you can use the e-brake in that manner myself..thanks
Old 01-30-2004, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Peace Folks!

Dunno nothin' about this disc, drum fiasco so I'm just gonna have a Coke and a smile and shut the f**k up!...
Old 01-30-2004, 07:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by vicman17
Peace Folks!

Dunno nothin' about this disc, drum fiasco so I'm just gonna have a Coke and a smile and shut the f**k up!...
Basically MAXX96 is a dunbass and thinks the world revolves around him.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:36 PM
Racer

:wow:

jk you might need to replace the brake bc u wore it down

Quick Reply: i made a HUGE mistake, is my car ok??