i love my tls but s2000 next????

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 04:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb i love my tls but s2000 next????

i originally was thinking of maybe a 2003 cls 6 speed or a used '00 gs400...but i rolled next to a silver s2000 after i got out of work and got to thinking...wouldnt that be fun to own...

thing is, im not gonna trade in my tls, that will become the wifes...modded and all....what i want to find out is what i can expect to pay for a used s2000 and if its really worth getting....thanks for the input.
Old 03-04-2002, 04:29 PM
Banned

oh hell yea!! If i lived in the dirty south, i would for sure have a rwd car!!!! S2000 is hott.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:08 PM
Racer

I actually contemplated on getting an S2000 before I bought my TLS...but I plan on getting married next year...and w/ kids...I figured this would be a good car to have to lug the little ones around...And then after I bought the car...I realized my g/f has a 4-door accord DOH~! hahaha OH well...get rid of that car and get the S2000
Old 03-04-2002, 05:12 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw aused one here in dallas for 31,500, that was about 2 months ago at Lute Riley Honda In Richardson. I am thinking about gettin g a 350Zx and trading in the TLS since it has been more problematic than the 02 MAX.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:15 PM
Burning Brakes

hmmm, im sorry to hear about the tls being problematic...as for mine...the only problem is the dealership...which i avoid as much as possible and cause a customerservice nightmare when i am there.

as for the dirty south..crazyacura, im in texas, where it isnt sooo dirty

hmm, i hope its not too expensive....or else the gs400 will look much better
Old 03-04-2002, 06:14 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
My tranny went out Friday, and my wife and I just decided to most likely get a 350ZX just deciding on which model we are going to get.
Old 03-04-2002, 06:17 PM
Advanced

GO for it. S2000 are fast stock. I was @ the track & there was one there keeping up w/ a newer vette.
PS. u gonna sell anything off ur car?
Old 03-04-2002, 07:02 PM

Be careful of used S2000s. Most owners beat the crap outta em then let em go. THink about is 9000 revolutions a minute, WOW that engine is working very hard!

Do your homework on the previous owner!
Old 03-04-2002, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

I drove an S2000 and it was great. But you really have to drive it like you stole it to get the most out of it. That's fun for a test drive but to drive every day or several times a week, I wonder if it would get old and if that's why you see so many used ones popping up. Also, for me (I'm 6'2", 195 lbs) it was kind of tight. It was comfortable but I don't think I could take it on a weekend trip with the wife.

I drove a Z3 3.0 not too long ago and I think I'd rather have one of those. It had great acceleration (maybe not as good as the S2000 on paper but it felt every bit as quick) without really pushing it hard, great handling (maybe not as good as the S2000 but the ride was more livable) and a more comfortable interior. I loved the exhaust note!! Rick Hendrick in Charleston, SC offered a loaded new one to me for around $34000. I would think you could get a great deal on a used one.

I also drove a Audi TT Quattro Cabriolet. I really like the look of the interior especially with the baseball stitched leather. But the performance doesn't come anywhere close to that of the BMW or the Honda. I drove it immediately after drivng the S2000 and driving the TT was like driving a minivan compared to the Honda. Its acceleration felt sluggish and its handling felt sloppy. I'm sure had I not just driven the s2000 I would have been more impressed.

I also drove a used Boxster from the first year or 2 of production. It just didn't impress me like I expected it to. It was a Porsche and it was fun but for the money, I'd rather have any of the others.

Ultimately, I decided not to get any of them as it would be a waste of money to have it sitting in the garage most of the time (with a wife and 2 kids, when the hell would I drive it). But if I had to pick one, I'd go with the 3.0 BMW. It was a much more rewarding overall driving experience than the Honda without the penalties.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:10 AM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's really hard to say how much a used S2K would cost ya..... locally in Vancouver, I have seen S2K with 10K KM(not miles) selling for $41K CDN(that's about $26K US, I think).....

But seriously, S2K would be a B!tch in city driving.... under 1500 rpm, there isn't even enough torque to loose a nut....

I would wait and keep an eye on upcoming 350Z....

Andy Kuo
Old 03-05-2002, 08:19 AM
Burning Brakes

thanks for the replies guys...but here's a little info on me...

im 27, married, no kids(not ever..!!!)
my wife loves the tls as it is but wants me to finish the stereo install before i move on to another car...so sorry, all the mods stay w/the car(i love my wife)

as for everyday driving, i live less than 5 miles from work, so that wont be a problem, w/all the hills and curvy roads around here, i consider handling much more important than speed.

on a side note: why do ppl who dont belong in small convertibles try to buy them and then complain about the tight confines??? why arent they just made bigger to begin with so the target market doesnt complain??? i am mexican so u know i fit in ANY convertible comfortably....but unless im looking at a geo metro convertible or miata, most convertibles are out of most mexicans price range....ugh..!!! anyway, im dont ranting, but it seems that the ppl who cant afford convertibles are the best suited to live with them on a daily basis.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:26 AM
Ex TL-S owner

I definitelty want to get a S2000 for a weekend car. Rim it up and just cruise w/the top down.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts
I agree with what others have said about the S2000: fun car, fast, handles like a dream. On the downside, you have to really push it to get those benefits, and they seem like they were all assembled on a lunch break or something--lots of rattles, squeaks, etc.

Obviously I chose the BMW, but the Mercedes SLK is a good choice, too.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Iceman
I agree with what others have said about the S2000: fun car, fast, handles like a dream. On the downside, you have to really push it to get those benefits, and they seem like they were all assembled on a lunch break or something--lots of rattles, squeaks, etc.

Obviously I chose the BMW, but the Mercedes SLK is a good choice, too.
but for the $$$$.....:yack:
Old 03-05-2002, 12:12 PM
Racer

Yo Systek!
Just do it man
I thought about it and I figure my g/f and I will ditch her accord and get an S2000 as well cuz she loves the S2000 as well as my TLS
Old 03-05-2002, 01:18 PM
Advanced

GET THE S2000

Hey all I can say is that before I bought my new TL-S 2 months ago I had a Black on Red 2000 S2000. I really really loved that car it was fierce and shifting at 9k is a kick a$$ feeling. But im a big guy and the car as a daily driver for business was just not very functional and if your over 6 feet tall for the passanger and driver a long drive can get pretty uncomfortable. But on the plus side everbody looks at the car , it hauls ass and give us a great excuse to head to the keys every other weeend. I say get it you only live once ( just dont plan to have any kids soon ) , but don't get it used in the time I had the car honda replaced the tranny once , then the conv top latches, the rear lights kept letting water in, and it was in the shop for a month waiting for a factory rep to find out why the check engine light kept coming up. Iknow sounds like drama but the car really is incredible.... So Incredible that we are thinking about trading in our Contour SVT for another S2000 cause we really miss driving it........ drive one and you will understand.......
Old 03-05-2002, 01:48 PM
Racer

I agree with what others have said about the S2000: fun car, fast, handles like a dream. but the Mercedes SLK is a good choice, too.
NOOOOOOOOOO the SLK looks like a chick car and it cost like 10k more. I'm trying to convince her not to buy the slk instead get a s2k since she doesn't know how to drive stick I will be crusing in it The best offer I got for an s2000 in southern cali was 35000 with all the g@y added stuff + tax. So it'll probably end up being like 39k out the door. If I could get it for 36kOTD(no way in hell) for sure I'll buy it. But for 40k I'll rather put in a couple of more G and get a SLK(even though I won't like it)

Mr.T
Old 03-05-2002, 01:54 PM
bluLEGEND

I am thinking of NSX next after I get my car back from the shop. But I would really miss the luxury features and the navi if I did...
Old 03-05-2002, 02:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by systek
on a side note: why do ppl who dont belong in small convertibles try to buy them and then complain about the tight confines??? why arent they just made bigger to begin with so the target market doesnt complain??? i am mexican so u know i fit in ANY convertible comfortably....
I don't know how big you are, but a friend of mine who is only 5'6" 150 lbs went with me when I drove the S2000. He agreed the S2000 was just too tight. It had plenty of leg room and head room but not much elbow, shoulder or hip room.

I say drive them all and get the one you like.
Old 03-05-2002, 02:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by RedLined

I don't know how big you are, but a friend of mine who is only 5'6" 150 lbs went with me when I drove the S2000. He agreed the S2000 was just too tight. It had plenty of leg room and head room but not much elbow, shoulder or hip room.

I say drive them all and get the one you like.
problem is when i went to the acura dealership, they had one for sale but i was negotiating the price and didnt take the time to take a test drive....ugh....i should have
Old 03-06-2002, 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Mr.T

NOOOOOOOOOO the SLK looks like a chick car and it cost like 10k more. I'm trying to convince her not to buy the slk instead get a s2k since she doesn't know how to drive stick I will be crusing in it The best offer I got for an s2000 in southern cali was 35000 with all the g@y added stuff + tax. So it'll probably end up being like 39k out the door. If I could get it for 36kOTD(no way in hell) for sure I'll buy it. But for 40k I'll rather put in a couple of more G and get a SLK(even though I won't like it)

Mr.T
Yeah, I guess it does kind of look like a chick car (not as bad as the Miata), but I think it's the best looking moderately-priced roadster out there. If you're thinking used, you can get a couple-year-old SLK320 that has at least a little kick to it. Good luck with your decision! It's more fun than the one I'm facing in a few months when it's time to trade in my M for a sedan or SUV...
Old 03-07-2002, 12:21 PM
Instructor

If you are still deciding.. i say go for it. I test drove a used one a few weeks ago and every day since i've been having wet dreams about that car. it was going for $25k, had 18,000 miles on the clock. when people say watch out for the previous owner, that is true but you have to understand these cars were built to get raped (for lack of better term). i mean with a 9 grand redline its obvious the owner will take advantage of it, why else would you even buy one? i had a blast in that car, and with RWD you can live your grand turismo drifting fantasies and watch people ooh and ahh. impress your girl, or whoever. just listening to the engine was total bliss and the shifter is so precise and crisp it makes any driver a pro. i mean seriously, i always "wanted" an S2000, but after driving it i frigging CRAVE that car.

about the SLK, the only ones worth getting are the 320's and the AMG SL32 which are probably out of your budget. Stay away from the 230, my friend has one and it is slooooooww.. especially in comparison.

why dont you (if you are looking for a convertible) look into an BMW E36 M3 convertible. although, reliability will be more of an issue with german cars. they are strong and solid cars straight from the factory. i'm not sure of Z3's, but i'm sure those are great too.

but overall, for the price.. the S2000 is my hands down choice. you wont regret it! btw, i'm 5'7" and there is plenty of room to spare.
Old 03-09-2002, 03:34 PM
Racer

i switched to a s2000 and i must say it hauls a** and i have not even taking her past 5500 rpm yet. I have no regrets.
Old 03-09-2002, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Due to this thread and others about the S2000 I decided to go and check it out today. Sure it's a sweet looking car....but it stops there. For a sports car it doesn't have much power. I mean, the power is decent I suppose...Let's just say it didn't impress me. Of course sports cars will always ride rougher than a luxury car, but this S2000 is one rough riding SOB. For too rough of a ride, it will bump ya do death. For the kind of money they're wanting, you're better off buying something else.

THUMBS DOWN
Old 03-09-2002, 10:38 PM
Instructor

IMO, time to get more ponies and upgrade to an used
low milage 300HP GS400.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

S2k baby! Sweet engine, nice shifter, and it handles! About the no power in low rpm's?!? Just get this!~~~~~>Comptech SC!

Oh and all that talk about bouncy stiff ride?!? That's just the old people talk! It's a sports car! You think a Ferrari is soft and pillowy!?!?

S2k~!
Old 03-11-2002, 12:36 AM
Racer

Originally posted by FKNA
Due to this thread and others about the S2000 I decided to go and check it out today. Sure it's a sweet looking car....but it stops there. For a sports car it doesn't have much power. I mean, the power is decent I suppose...Let's just say it didn't impress me. Of course sports cars will always ride rougher than a luxury car, but this S2000 is one rough riding SOB. For too rough of a ride, it will bump ya do death. For the kind of money they're wanting, you're better off buying something else.

THUMBS DOWN
No power for a sports car? I pulls a 14 second quarter and it has not power??? Maybe in Nascar its not up to snuff... The S2000 IS the best bang for the buck in its catagory... If you dont like a bumpy ride, dont buy a sports car
Old 03-11-2002, 12:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by y2ks2k

No power for a sports car? I pulls a 14 second quarter and it has not power??? Maybe in Nascar its not up to snuff... The S2000 IS the best bang for the buck in its catagory... If you dont like a bumpy ride, dont buy a sports car
Thank you and well said! Oh it's normally aspirated! Many need turbo's or V8's to run times like that!
Old 03-11-2002, 08:10 AM
Burning Brakes

guess i need to find one and test drive it to be sure....
Old 03-11-2002, 09:59 AM
Burning Brakes

There's a difference between a firm sports car suspension and a nightmarishly harsh ride that makes you feel like your teeth are going to fall out...
Old 03-11-2002, 11:59 AM
Instructor

...and they seem like they were all assembled on a lunch break or something--lots of rattles, squeaks, etc.
Curious response. All of them are hand assembled in the Tochigi plant along with the NSX. They do not have a whole lot of sound deadening as they are all go.

Being the lucky lad I am, I have both an S2000 and a TL. The wife normally drives the S2000. Indeed, it is not the most practical car if it is your only one. Cabin size is just fine for my smallish 5' 5" frame. Handling is simply in another ballpark altogether than the TL. Nothing else will put a grin on your face as fast.

rw
Old 03-11-2002, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

There's a difference between a firm sports car suspension and a nightmarishly harsh ride that makes you feel like your teeth are going to fall out...
I don't find it much more harsh then my 323ci w/ sports package....
Old 03-12-2002, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

That's just because you live in COS, "home of the pothole"! Even a Lincoln Towncar has a harsh ride in the Springs!
Old 03-12-2002, 09:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

That's just because you live in COS, "home of the pothole"! Even a Lincoln Towncar has a harsh ride in the Springs!
He he he, so you've been here?
Old 03-12-2002, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Yes, I was a Cadink many moons ago...
Old 03-14-2002, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by y2ks2k

My bass boat on a windy day rides smoother than that freaking S2000. A sports car is supposed to have a "firm" ride, not a "bumpy" one.

Before you go condradicting me on the power of the car, take the time out to test drive one (without salesman in tow). I want to know what kind of drugs you are on if you think the S2000 is best in it's category. What category are you speaking of, price range? If that's the case go with the Firehawk. Smoother ride, handles better, faster acceleration. If the category you speak of is engine size (4 banger) then I suppose you're right...the S2000 will spank a Civic.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:51 PM
Racer

My bass boat on a windy day rides smoother than that freaking S2000. A sports car is supposed to have a "firm" ride, not a "bumpy" one.

Before you go condradicting me on the power of the car, take the time out to test drive one (without salesman in tow). I want to know what kind of drugs you are on if you think the S2000 is best in it's category. What category are you speaking of, price range? If that's the case go with the Firehawk. Smoother ride, handles better, faster acceleration. If the category you speak of is engine size (4 banger) then I suppose you're right...the S2000 will spank a Civic.
Oh, bad mistake…

Before you contradict me, look at my title below, I have owned 2 Honda S2000's... how about you?

I honestly suggest that you dont know ****, unless you think a 10 minute test drive makes you a master of S2000 knowledge. I actively Tracked my S2000 on Pir (Portland International Raceway) in advanced class and AutoX'ed it with The Porche club of Oregon.

The range the S2000 is in encompass the M roadster, TT, Porsche Boxster.. All of which every magazine to ever test them has placed the S2000 first.. Car & Drive, Road and Track, Motor Trend.. etc... etc... all of them... every single one...

comments?
Old 03-14-2002, 10:38 PM
Instructor

comments? 10 minute test drive? If I'm having fun my test drives last a couple of hours. But when it came to the S2000 I couldn't wait to get out of that car. I don't give a rats ass what reviews may be out there on the car. My opinion still stands, for $40k...you're money is better spent on another car. And those out there reading this thread, don't take my word for it, take the car for a test drive and another sports car in the same category (ANY sports car) and you'll see what I mean.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:50 PM
Racer

comments? 10 minute test drive? If I'm having fun my test drives last a couple of hours. But when it came to the S2000 I couldn't wait to get out of that car. I don't give a rats ass what reviews may be out there on the car. My opinion still stands, for $40k...you're money is better spent on another car. And those out there reading this thread, don't take my word for it, take the car for a test drive and another sports car in the same category (ANY sports car) and you'll see what I mean.

I'd like to believe you... but I've been around the track in most sports cars made from my boss's M5 to Z06's and NSX's. But honestly, I'll stick to the car magazines for my information on sports car testing, I just dont think you could gather a readership of a million people with yours.
Old 03-14-2002, 11:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

A sports car isn't just about speed, it's about handling and personality. The S2k has all of what I mentioned, something the Firehawk doesn't. I've driven my cousins s2k plenty of times to know that this thing is a one special car.

Quick Reply: i love my tls but s2000 next????