I Just killed an Eclipse.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I Just killed an Eclipse.

This, was hilarious. Fist off, I hate those guys who drive those ricey little **** cars. This guy was in a 2000 GT, I think, I don't know Eclipse years and body stylez that well. Anywho, back to the story. So this guy was driving like an ass, and cut me off. So I pulled into the right lane, and we came to a light. I looked at him, he looked at me, and I threw it into Trip-tronic. Light turnes green, and boom, I'm at 40 like nothing. I beat him so bad, that I got to actually pull in front of him by the next light. The next light was only about 50 Yards away. So I jump infront of him, and He pulls over and blows the left hand turn red light!! It was pretty cool, untill I saw the blues in my rearview.... My stomache hit the floor. But, thank God, the fuzz went after the guy who blew the light. Anyway, the point is, I really, truely believe that the TL has a faster 0-60 than 7.4 seconds, did they test Trip-tronic?

Mine is stock....

-Paul-
Old 03-09-2003, 10:33 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also feel that my 99 TL is faster than 7.4 secs.

BTW, good kill.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:49 PM
Instructor

excellent kill...i also hate those guys in their Mits'

and on a good day my old 99tl could do a pretty good time also
Old 03-09-2003, 10:56 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

Yeah the TL is no slug... You have to kinda watch out though and crack you window a bit and listen to their engine. If you hear turbo whine <B>DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT</B>. Those turbo eclipses are no joke they will smoke you with half throttle! 95% of them are bone stock though with silly dudes that think they drive a ferarri.

LOL
GOOD KILL!
Old 03-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Instructor

Well, I knew it was a turbo, because of the type it was. I didn't give him the chance to spool up, I tourqued him right outta the race. Dude, there's no replacement for displacement, **** turbo. I want NA HP BABY!

-Paul-

(Anyone here from NH)
Old 03-09-2003, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Consumer reports says 0-60 in 6.6 secs. I just looked it up. Considering buying one so I am doing the research.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by TouringLuxury99
Dude, there's no replacement for displacement, **** turbo. I want NA HP BABY!

maybe.....but I don't think you "really" understand or appreciate what can be done with a properly "turbocharged" car:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

BTW....I liked the ending of the story about the blue lights going after the Eclipse ...funny, blue is for volunteer fire fighters here in NY....I think.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:55 PM
Racer

Hey hey...i use to drive a Eclipse, if it's a 2000 i don't believe it's turbo, turbo only came in 94-99. But i had my own race last nite....two kids in a Civic SI blows by me while me and my two friends were cruising to the club on the highway. They slow down and when we got dead even they started punching it, it was really loud with the exhaust and stuff but it didn't go anywhere, i was 2 car lengths easy, and then let them go ahead. After a little while i spot them far in front of me so i sped up again, they must of saw me coming because they started to floor it again, and still it didn't go anywhere, i just kept pulling until i was ahead, den i breaked and had enough fun for the night, plus the two kids were starting to get really pissed off that they couldn't win. Oh well....another one for the stock 99 TL
Old 03-10-2003, 01:50 AM
Drifting

correct, there's no turbo's for 2000...

it was probably a GS-T... I've beat my friend's lightly modded GS-T (intake, exhaust) 11 times. (yes, we raced 11 times in a row one night because he couldn't believe I'd beat him...).

as for tonight, just beat a 3G Eclipse GT, a 2 door Neon and a Gran Prix GTP...
Old 03-10-2003, 02:29 AM
Banned

umm....ummm..........I beat my fiancee in her stock 2000 civic ex today....does that count? lol 99TL rox baby! (kinda feel left out with all these racin stories going around, I need to take my TL out more, and I don't want to race my 350Z cuz I'm breaking her in for the first 500 miles) (loving both cars!)
Old 03-10-2003, 02:34 AM
Banned

OH and I looked into buying the new style Eclipses but didn't and they no longer had turbo charged engines....just to confirm you guys. And I hated turbo, cuz in my old Saab I always kept looking at the damn turbo guage to see when it would kick in.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:07 AM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jspecinspire
i don't believe it's turbo, turbo only came in 94-99.
uhhh....the Diamond Star Motors BD-Body was offered in turbo form as far back as 1989. Only the 89's with the 1.8ltr. engine had the flat hood, the 2.0ltr's "Power Bulge" hood was created to make room for the cam shaft gears. From 1993 model year it was putting out 195hp but in 94' it was bumped up to 210hp (4G63 engine).

But, yes, turbocharging ended with the end of the 2nd generation Talon/Eclipse. A stock 2000+ Eclipse GT has a 200hp V6.

Tom
1994 Eagle Talon
Old 03-10-2003, 12:00 PM
Racer

oops..my bad...it was late ok? Yeah turbo didn't start in 94...sorry i was thinking about generation not motor..oops...but yeah 3rd gen no boost
Old 03-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Pro

:flamer:

you're both wrong, Tom shame on you being a DSMer and all.

The turbo 2.0 195hp DSM started with the 1990 model year (the awd 5 speed model)

The 1Gen ended with the 1994 model, which also had 195hp. The 2 Gen, with the changed body style was bumped to 210 (but was slower) from 1995 - 1999.

They all use a version of the 4G63 (also used in the Evo, but mounted oppositely)

The lame ass new eclipse from 2000 + looks pretty decent but only comes in fwd & no turbo (not considered by anyone to be a DSM).... can be seen in snazzy mitsu commercials, but in reality can get smoked by a TL-S like it were standing still.

THere will be a quizz later.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:07 PM
Racer

Are you completely stock under the hood, TouringLuxury99?? Anyways, it was a great kill!! congratz
I dun think my 99 can even do 0 to 60 in 9sec, haha, I think it's pretty slow, though the highest i've taken it is 4800rpm
Old 03-10-2003, 07:50 PM
Racer

2000 eclipse gts have 200hp..was it stick or auto?
stick eclipses could probably toast a TL, depending on if he knows how to shift or not. Eclipse = 300 pounds lighter, and we only have about 25hp on them..less than that if the eclipse is stick
Old 03-10-2003, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
I usually think of the eclipses as having 4 generations:

The first gen:

The second gen:

The third gen:

And the fourth gen:

The first three are turbo charged 4 cylinders and offered in both AWD and FWD. The last is a FWD 6 cylinder only.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Yea, I am copmpletely stock under the hood. But as far as Eclipses go, I knew this dude had a turbo. Because the kid I was with knew about cars. He was amazed that I killed the kid. Heh, good times, right? I will never EVER stand down to an Eclipse. Ever. I think they are way overrated, and I just proved it. So Spyder5786, I'm sorry you think an Ecplise would "toast" a stock TL, because buddy, That kid had burn marks all over him.

-Paul-

(Anyone here in New Hampshire area holler back)
Old 03-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Yea, I am copmpletely stock under the hood. But as far as Eclipses go, I knew this dude had a turbo. Because the kid I was with knew about cars. He was amazed that I killed the kid. Heh, good times, right? I will never EVER stand down to an Eclipse. Ever. I think they are way overrated, and I just proved it. So Spyder5786, I'm sorry you think an Ecplise would "toast" a stock TL, because buddy, That kid had burn marks all over him.

-Paul-

Sorry, I agree with Spyder5786. A turbo Eclipse is a quick car. It is also a VERY tunable car. We are talking about a car that has the ability to run 10's with mods. Some even faster. You say your friend knows cars. What exactly does this mean? Did he know for a fact it was a turbo. If so, how? Could he hear it? An n/a Eclipse is not fast and a TL would beat it. A turbo Eclipse that is healthy and driven properly will definitely beat a TL, unless at high speeds (in excess of 100 mph).
Old 03-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Racer

-Paul-

Heh, i said a stick eclipse..if it was an auto eclipse, yeah i agree, our TLs would take them, but a stick..well mite as well save your premium gas.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:57 PM
Advanced

If he stepped all over this car by a couple car lengths like he said, would the car being manual really change it so much that the eclipse would win. I dont drive manual so I dont know much about them, but that dosent sound right to me. I know a good driver in a stick can get moving better than an auto, but enough to close a huge gap and then "toast" the TL? I guess what im asking is how much of a differance does stick make?
Old 03-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Instructor

I would smoke any stock Eclipse. (Peroid) I just proved I would. You can tell if it is a turbo by the model. Duh. There's like, a GST, a GT, and a GSX, or something. The bottom is a 6 Cyl, the middle is a 6cyl turbo, and the high one is a 6 cyl turbo with AWD. I know that this one had a turbo. Peace.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:30 PM
Banned

I would smoke any stock Eclipse. (Peroid) I just proved I would. You can tell if it is a turbo by the model. Duh. There's like, a GST, a GT, and a GSX, or something. The bottom is a 6 Cyl, the middle is a 6cyl turbo, and the high one is a 6 cyl turbo with AWD. I know that this one had a turbo. Peace.
I'd agree with you, I think our 99TL can smoke any new stock gen eclipse. You said it was a Eclipse 2000 model GT? I have a couple of friends with 2000/2001 GT and they are 3.0L V6 with 205 hp or something like that. none of the new Gen are turbo charged....so thats why most of these guys are asking if he knew it had turbo by the sound (turbo kit). Maybe you're thinking of the 99 and below models? Oh and the new Gen eclipse are all fwd....wonder why they changed that.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:35 PM
Instructor

I honestly don't remember. I talked to my friend tonight, and he said it was a 99 turbo. He said he heard the blow-off valve. And that's how he knew. He also said that it was an automatic, because it did not dip at the right shift points. (Don't ask me) I honestly don't think he was paying attention. But we definetly knew it was a turbo. And none-the-less, That car weighs less, and had a turbo. So... I think it was a damn good victory.

-Paul-
Old 03-10-2003, 09:59 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Base Model (Talon DL) (1st Generation) = 95hp @ 2,549lbs curb weight
GS (Talon ES)(1st Generation) = 135hp NT FWD @ 2,712lbs. curb weight
GS-T (Talon TSi) (1st Generation manual trans., FWD) = 195hp @ 2,789 lbs. curb weight
GS-T (Talon TSi) (1st Generation auto trans., FWD) = 180hp @ ??
GSX (Talon TSi AWD) (1st Generation, AWD) = 195hp @ 3,109 lbs. curb weight.

1st Generation cars were made up until 1994 despite the biggest difference of the early models having pop-up headlights. Other than that it's the same car.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Please don't talk about smoking anything until you learn about cars in general. You obviously don't know too much. Just cause your friend was there does not make you an expert. Neither am I, however I DO know the difference between the different Eclipses. There is NO 6 cylinder turbo Eclipse. There has NEVER been a turbo 6 cylinder Eclipse. There will probably never be a 6 cylinder turbo eclipse either. Also, there is no AWD 6 cylinder eclipse. And no, you will not smoke ANY Eclipse. I would guess that any turbo charged Eclipse will beat you in the quarter mile, 0-60, on the twisties, just about every area. The only possibility your car would have is at high speeds going into the triple digit. I am talking stock vs. stock. Now you wanna talk about modded and you better just park your car. A modded Eclipse can easily be made into a beast. I don't mean to sound harsh, but you just sound like you have very little knowledge on cars and think that a 99 TL will kill just about anything. You don't even have the 5 spd auto. You are pushing 225 HP, with a four speed auto and a heavy car vs a car that is 195 HP, possibly manual, and possibly much lighter. The possiblies depend on the tranny obviously, and whether or not you are going against a GST (FWD), or a GSX (AWD).
Old 03-10-2003, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Well, I coulda sworn there was a turbo V6 AWD, but what ever. Honestly, I don't care anymore. I wanted to share a cool story about a dude blowing a light, and the blues flashing, and me losing my stomache, and for some reason people get defensive. I think Eclipses suck, and I do know enough about cars to realize that Acuras kick ass. So, you can blow it about you stats and Eclipse crap, I don't care. I would never own one. TL for life. I'm not gonna waste any more time arguing, this will (Should) be the last post from me on this thread,. I hope some of you enjoyed the story, that's what it was meant for, not an argument.

Peace guys, keep it safe.

-Paul-
Old 03-10-2003, 10:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, I coulda sworn there was a turbo V6 AWD, but what ever. Honestly, I don't care anymore. I wanted to share a cool story about a dude blowing a light, and the blues flashing, and me losing my stomache, and for some reason people get defensive. I think Eclipses suck, and I do know enough about cars to realize that Acuras kick ass. So, you can blow it about you stats and Eclipse crap, I don't care. I would never own one. TL for life. I'm not gonna waste any more time arguing, this will (Should) be the last post from me on this thread,. I hope some of you enjoyed the story, that's what it was meant for, not an argument.

Peace guys, keep it safe.

-Paul-
Well thanks for the story. Acuras are nice cars, no doubt about it, but there are other cars out there that are worthy as well. Keep an open mind and don't dismiss the quality of a car by ONE race. Hell, I have mis-shifted in my S4 and lost to cars running close to half the horsepower. Does that make those cars or a TL better than an S4. Possibly. Maybe not. You just never know. Anyway, point being, keep an open mind and you will be better off in life.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:01 PM
Drifting

2001AudiS4... there are actually only 3 gens... the first 2 pics you posted are both 1st gen...
Old 03-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Red Hot TL
2001AudiS4... there are actually only 3 gens... the first 2 pics you posted are both 1st gen...
I know that. I said I personally feel like there are four. The 1st gen had two different styles. One with the hidden "flip-up" lights and one with the regular lights. Both are considered 1st gen, but to me they are different enough.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:08 PM
Suzuka Master

I found a decently modded eclipse. check out this link and let me know if there is a TL on the planet that can even come close to this car in acceleration.

Eclipse
Old 03-10-2003, 11:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 2001AudiS4

Please don't talk about smoking anything until you learn about cars in general. You obviously don't know too much. Just cause your friend was there does not make you an expert. Neither am I, however I DO know the difference between the different Eclipses. There is NO 6 cylinder turbo Eclipse. There has NEVER been a turbo 6 cylinder Eclipse. There will probably never be a 6 cylinder turbo eclipse either. Also, there is no AWD 6 cylinder eclipse. And no, you will not smoke ANY Eclipse. I would guess that any turbo charged Eclipse will beat you in the quarter mile, 0-60, on the twisties, just about every area. The only possibility your car would have is at high speeds going into the triple digit. I am talking stock vs. stock. Now you wanna talk about modded and you better just park your car. A modded Eclipse can easily be made into a beast. I don't mean to sound harsh, but you just sound like you have very little knowledge on cars and think that a 99 TL will kill just about anything. You don't even have the 5 spd auto. You are pushing 225 HP, with a four speed auto and a heavy car vs a car that is 195 HP, possibly manual, and possibly much lighter. The possiblies depend on the tranny obviously, and whether or not you are going against a GST (FWD), or a GSX (AWD).
Come on dude, go easy on him. He was just excited to tell us his story. Let him have his fun. I beat my friend's Eclipses (stock) a couple of times with my 99TL but mine is lightly mod, so go figure. We all can't rely on stats and the car itself....there is a driver too. I seens some nice cars (stick) but the driver can't use manual for crap and I can beat them with 4 gears. I regreted not waiting for 00 with the 5 gear but after reading about tranmission problems for them, I'm glade to have 4 gears that works. And I'm no dissin you either man, The Eclipses and Audi have my respect because I been pulled by them too.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by hzm82

Come on dude, go easy on him. He was just excited to tell us his story. Let him have his fun. I beat my friend's Eclipses (stock) a couple of times with my 99TL but mine is lightly mod, so go figure. We all can't rely on stats and the car itself....there is a driver too. I seens some nice cars (stick) but the driver can't use manual for crap and I can beat them with 4 gears. I regreted not waiting for 00 with the 5 gear but after reading about tranmission problems for them, I'm glade to have 4 gears that works. And I'm no dissin you either man, The Eclipses and Audi have my respect because I been pulled by them too.
No worries. I am laying it on hard cause I cannot stand to read trash from someone saying that this car or that car is nothing. I will walk all over ANY one of those cars ANY day. That is just ignorant. I know he doesn't know cars, that is obvious, but at least show your maturity by not stating that this car is crap cause I beat one. I am sorry if this bothers you, that is not my intentions. And I was not bashing on the 4 gear auto in a TL, just stating that the 5 spd is a little bit faster.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:14 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hold on you guys, nobody asked, was this a red, yellow, blue or green Eclipse?? We all know red and yellow Eclipes are faster than blue and green Eclipses. Maybe that was a factor?

....heehee, sorry, just trying to lighten things up a bit But now I'm affraid to tell my Toasted Celica story (no I didn't get the plate number or VIN#) I enjoyed Pauls story

Jeff
Old 03-11-2003, 09:31 AM
Banned

JeffNY plz post your story. I for one enjoy reading it and I even get a big head from listening to your guys and will think I can beat anything till the next guy pulls on me lol. btw I got my azz killed by a new Gen Celica but I knew that guy had heavy mods.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

dont judge eclipses by the 3g

dont judge an eclipse by the 3g model, even the 2g model. A 1g Turbocharged Eclipse/Talon/Laser can be downright dominating. I hit 12.96 almost stock on my TSi, and it currently down to 11.47 in the 1/4, as for the "decently modded eclipse", that is one of the fastest in the world and not many cars can hang wit dat.