I just got my new TL S

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 05:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I just got my new TL S

I just got my new 2002 TL-S. I never modified my car before. Right now it is all stock. I got some cash to spend, what do you all suggest to do first. I live in Las Vegas any cool shops around here? Is the air cleaner a good thing to start with. where can i learn more. I been reading the forums here, but you all are too advanced for me LOL.

Doc
Old 07-31-2001, 05:18 PM
Ex TL-S owner

Congrats! This is a great car, but I think it needs some suspension work. I would first get Comptech springs on the car which would look and help it handle a lot better. 2nd, the Comptech sway bars. I'm getting my Comptech springs installed Saturday morning at Park Ave. I will definitely post my before and after pics.

By the way, what color did you get? Good luck w/the car!
Old 07-31-2001, 05:21 PM
Cruisin'

color

I got the pearl white one. U know other car makers charge more for that color. It is really awesome looking. black int btw too.

Does that ruin your warranty?
Old 07-31-2001, 05:22 PM
Banned

yea the comptech springs are worth every penny. I bought them the 2nd week i had the car and i love them!
Old 07-31-2001, 05:26 PM
Cruisin'

What can i expect to pay for them installed? Also what did u all find it did better with performance? stiffer cornering OR?

Just wondering. I think it handle amazing. cource i traded a integra 88 in with mega miles and bald tires. hehe.

Doc
Old 07-31-2001, 05:30 PM
Cruisin'

Here is a picture of the car. my first post of it. hope it comes out. also how do u get one of those kewl graphics by your name. such as homer simpson. hehe.

Doc
Old 07-31-2001, 05:35 PM
Ex TL-S owner

Originally posted by DocDave
What can i expect to pay for them installed? Also what did u all find it did better with performance? stiffer cornering OR?

Just wondering. I think it handle amazing. cource i traded a integra 88 in with mega miles and bald tires. hehe.

Doc
My install is gonna run $220 plus $50 for wheel alignment. It will handle a lot better. I'm getting mine done at Park Ave Acura and they will honor the factory warranty.

You car looks sweet! I love it in white!
Old 07-31-2001, 06:33 PM
tea elle

Hey Doc! Congrats on the Type S, I just got mine two weeks ago after trading in my 2001 TL. I'm guessing you got yours at Falconi, right? Nice people over there.

Here's my two cents:

I advise you to wait on doing the suspension mods. Drive the car for a little while and see what you think. Personally, I love the way the car handles bone stock from Acura. Although, I could see putting some Potenza tires on instead of the Michelins and maybe go to a 225/45 series tire to give a wider, better grip. Those Michelins are just OK, but I'd love a tire upgrade.

Getting back to springs, I think you have to consider the effect different springs would have on the life of the shocks that are on there, and also whether you're going to find that the loss of ride quality in your every day driving is worth it.

Some people on this site will say the aftermarket springs don't hurt the overall ride quality, but I find that very hard to believe. The average person on this site is in his early 20s and probably driving his TL to the limit much of the time, so consider the source. I'm 37 years old and I've been driving pretty agressively for twenty years, and I'm loving my TL-S just the way it is!

I don't know you, but I think what I'm saying is worth considering.

Food for though, hope it helps!
Old 07-31-2001, 08:19 PM
Bada Bing

Congrats Doc...welcome to the family!

I've had my car for a little over a month now and have modified it since the parts began arriving 2 weeks after I bought it. You can check my sig to see what exactly I have done and there is also a link to pics of the car there so you can see what the drop from the Comptech springs looks like, along with the other mods.

The Comptech spring drop will not effect the cars ride that much. It will give you a better sense of the road (more feed back into the stearing wheel) but you do not lose the luxury ride like everyone is afraid of. It does drastically improve the handling especially when combined with the Comptech Sway Bars. As for the shocks...DO NOT replace them if you want to keep the soft ride. The drop is only 1.25" up front & 1" in the rear, it doesn't put enough strain on the shocks to require you to change them. I was skeptical of this too so I went as far as asking Comptech, Tim (from this board, in person at the CT meet) and Shoofin'TL (he has had the springs for roughly 2 yrs with the stock shocks)...so I think it's safe to say it's not needed. The suspension is a great place to start your modifications. I got a little credit card happy and got everything at once...Ooopppsss
Needless to say I haven't a single compaint...in fact I ordered rims yesterday, they should be in & on the car by Friday. I hope to have the pics up no later than Sunday.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:47 PM
Cruisin'

thanks for the help but...

I don't think I will modify the shocks or springs at all. It corners pretty awesome. If i wanta go faster on the corners I will use my Vette. hehe. I just wish I could get a little more performance like more ponies hehe. Guess I am a speed junky. Plus I am waiting to upgrade the tires after these wear out. call me a cheap ass hehe, but I won't spend that much money and have the tires sit around. Plus i got a wife that would cut my nuts off if i did that. hehe

I don't really whip the thing around the corner at all. I guess I am an old man too 30 and that attracts too much attentions. I already have 2 speeding tickets already from the last 2 months.

Anyone got theirs up to 300 hp? I bought the acura because I couldn't see spending the extra 20k on the Lexus for a similar ride with 10% more hp. any suggestions

Doc
Old 08-02-2001, 04:03 PM
Racer

Talking

Congrats. Here's a pic of mine. Got mine just over a week ago.
Old 08-02-2001, 04:37 PM
Cruisin'

nice

I like your ride.

I would like to get the bra for my long trips because i already got a scratch on the bumper that i have to get detailed out. Any suggestions?

Also I DID get it at Falconi's acura in vegas.

Doc
Old 08-02-2001, 04:43 PM
Racer

got back to the dealer & get their detailer guy to buff it out.
Old 08-02-2001, 05:36 PM
Ex TL-S owner

Re: thanks for the help but...

I don't think I will modify the shocks or springs at all. It corners pretty awesome. If i wanta go faster on the corners I will use my Vette. hehe. I just wish I could get a little more performance like more ponies hehe. Guess I am a speed junky. Plus I am waiting to upgrade the tires after these wear out. call me a cheap ass hehe, but I won't spend that much money and have the tires sit around. Plus i got a wife that would cut my nuts off if i did that. hehe

I don't really whip the thing around the corner at all. I guess I am an old man too 30 and that attracts too much attentions. I already have 2 speeding tickets already from the last 2 months.

Anyone got theirs up to 300 hp? I bought the acura because I couldn't see spending the extra 20k on the Lexus for a similar ride with 10% more hp. any suggestions

Doc
There is a huge difference when you get sways and springs. Just take you car on an empty street. Change lanes going 40mph and some turns. The car leans too much. If I were to get headers, then I would also want a car that handles. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-02-2001, 05:48 PM
Cruisin'

u are prob right

Ya i you are prob right. I wish I could drive the car with the mods before i spend the money.

doc
Old 08-02-2001, 05:56 PM
Ex TL-S owner

Re: u are prob right

Ya i you are prob right. I wish I could drive the car with the mods before i spend the money.

doc
Yah, you definitely gotta go to the "Meets" in your area. I'm sure someone will have that stuff done. Once you feel the difference, then you will realize how heavy your cars feels when you make turns or change lanes. It's huge difference.