I got Vibration in Steering Wheel Now!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 08:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got Vibration in Steering Wheel Now!!

Ok... as many of you know, I had a bubble in my stock michelin... and was the second one of my tires. Therefore I didnt wanna spend another 200 a tire.. so I just went to mavis and haggled a set of 4 Continentals for 97 each installed. BTW...these are the Continental Contiextreme Contact... 215 50 17. I put these tires on after recommendation from people on this board, but now Im starting to notice that at highway speeds of like 65pmh and above Im getting vibrations in the car. Steering wheel shakes a little. I dont really like that at all...and wanted to know how many people have these Continentals and are experiencing this?? And if there is a solution to this?
Old 12-23-2003, 08:42 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
three things you might want look at:

1) are the wheels balanced?
2) do you need a wheel alignment?
3) are your tires inflated properly and equally?

I wouldnt blame the brand new tires that you've bought.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow; I doubt if other people had vibrations that they would have recommended them.
If you didn't have a vibration before the new tires, either:
* The new balancing is bad (I have had this happen before).
* One of the new tires is not round enough (I have had this too).
* The tire is wildly overinflated by the installer (happens all the time).

In either case, the above can be visualized by a good installer while the tire is on the balancer. Take it back.

I have Continentals (german tires) on my BMW and they are very very smooth riding tires; what you are experiencing is not indicative of what you should expect from Continentals.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:13 AM
Drifting

Wheels out of balance. I'll put money on it.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:31 AM
Banned

So you guys are defenitely ruling out that its not the tires. And it has nothing to do with the Continentals being incompatible with our cars... so that is re-assuring. I'll bring it in back to them.

Thanx a lot guys... I love this board!!
Old 12-23-2003, 09:33 AM
Drifting

Tires can call vibration but only if there is uneven wear or bubbles (as you experienced).

Either the wheels are out of balance or there is an uneven seal made between the tire and the wheel. In any case, whomever sold and installed the tires for you has the responsibility to make it right.

Even the crappiest tires on the planet should not vibrate the way you describe if they are round and properly installed.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:42 AM
Advanced

I documented a similar problem a couple of days ago. Of my new set of ContiExtremes, I think 1 or 2 of the tires are bad. Vibration at highway speed. One of the wheels has 2 rows of weights on it, and I am sure this is the bad tire. Currently waiting for a replacement tire. If this doesn't solve the problem, these tires are going back.

I don't think we made a bad choice as far as the tire goes. I researched this for weeks and I am convinced the Conti is a good tire. We just need to work through and resolve these balance/vibration problems.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:56 AM
TL-S driver

I have the conti's on my car and I LOVE them. Well, this set. My first set had the same problem, a vibration at hightway speed. I did 4 balances and even found a bent rim, even after everything was done, the vibrations were still there. In the end, my tired guy got me brand new tires and problem solved. If the balance doesn't work, definitely check the tire pressure, then if that's still not it, demand a new set. They don't lose money, just labor. They just send it back to Conti and get reembursed.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:00 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I had them on my old 97 Max and they were great tires, most likely a balance like the guys have said.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:58 PM
Intermediate

I put a new set of Conti's on my 2002 about a month ago, and they vibrated. Took them to another shop and had them rebalanced and they are fine now. Also, remember the nylon chords will bump a little bit when the tires are cold. Other than that, they are great tires with a great bite!
Old 12-23-2003, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
on a side note, you say you had a bubble on your mich. is it possible you hit a pot hole and didnt realize it and thats what caused the bubble? and if so that rim may be a little bent causing the vibration in the steering wheel?
Old 12-23-2003, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally posted by fsttyms1
on a side note, you say you had a bubble on your mich. is it possible you hit a pot hole and didnt realize it and thats what caused the bubble? and if so that rim may be a little bent causing the vibration in the steering wheel?
THAS EXACTLY WHAT IT IS!! NOW IM IN THE MARKET FOR A RIM...DAAAAM!!! THIS SUCKS!!
Old 12-23-2003, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally posted by NYDesi80
THAS EXACTLY WHAT IT IS!! NOW IM IN THE MARKET FOR A RIM...DAAAAM!!! THIS SUCKS!!
bummer
Old 12-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by NYDesi80
Have you tried the dealer for a reconditioned rim? I payed between $50 -> $150 for an Acura reconditioned rim to replace a bent one (I don't remember which, but I think $150).
Old 12-23-2003, 09:30 PM
TL-S driver

where in NY do you live? USA Wheels in Fairfield, NJ does a pretty good job. They fixed 2 of my rims and I haven't had any problems. They charged me $100 a rim.
Jacked the car up in the lot, dropped it off inside, walked to the restaurant a block away and 2 hrs later, it was ready and balanced.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:32 PM
Burning Brakes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by fsttyms1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
put that bent rim on the back of the car until you find your replacement,as that will solve you vibration problem until you rotate.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the same problem... i have one bent rim and it's next to impossible to find one TL-S rim... so I'll end up having to buy four used ones and have three spare rims laying around...

anyone have a better solution to this?
Old 12-24-2003, 05:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a repost of what I have in the "wheel & tire" section. Sumitomo HTR+ thread.....

"Figures.....

I just put 215/50/17 Continental ContiExtreme Contacts on my new OE Honda "Silver Star" wheels. They ride like ass on the highway (although I must admit I love everything else about them so far.) TireRack's ratings are the best in class.... #1 out of 17 tires rated.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

As soon as I showed up at Discout Tire yesterday to get them mounted & balanced, they said "you're not serious about putting those on, are you?" I know all these guys pretty well, so they don't bullsh!t me. One customer is on his 6th set trying to get rid of a vibration at highway speed. Great.....

Granted, I've only put about ~ 100 miles on them so far. They did balance up nice, not alot of weight. But so far, I'm not impressed at all with freeway driving. I'm going to give these a week, or so to break in. If they don't get any better, back to TireRack they go. Hello Sumitomo HTR+!

Thanks all,
Jim

Edit: Maybe Dunlop SP Sport 5000's? Any input?"

I'm thinking a bad tire or two. Going back to Discount Tire on Friday to get all 4 road force varience checked. I talked with a TireRack customer service lady the other night... she said they'll take care of it no matter what it takes. Remember, you have a 30 day ride evaluation with Continental tires. If you can't get the problem resolved, send them back. I know I will!
Old 12-24-2003, 05:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up Sure do!

Originally posted by PeterUbers
I have the same problem... i have one bent rim and it's next to impossible to find one TL-S rim... so I'll end up having to buy four used ones and have three spare rims laying around...

anyone have a better solution to this?
Go here http://www.wheelcollision.com/8c.html $170 each (exchange) for a brand new re-finished TL wheel. Great deal!!

Looks like your best bet.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:49 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I am actually having the same problem with Conti ExtremeContacts, and I do not believe it is a rim issue, as my previous tires were fine. I have had them rebalanced twice, and the vibration is almost gone, but still there. It is much worse when the car has been parked--these tires are very prone to flatspotting. But still, even after driving for a while, there is a little vibration. Not really happy with that.

Then again, with the transmission and all the rattles, I'm really getting to hate this car.

ME
Old 12-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Banned

See.. I dont really trust the guys at Mavis with this bent rim issue because... I know I haggled the price down to 97 each for these conti's when they were at 140. What he said to me was when they put hte car up and were testing each wheel... the said that they all balanced out but one wheel (the passenger rear) was spinning wabbly.. and told me that this rim was bent. So I need to actually examine the rim. I might just take it to Acura and have them look at it and diagnose it before I go buying another rim... or just deal with the vibration... cuz I dont really got the money right now. X-mas this year raped me, unless we can get together and buy a set of rims from someone and then split them up. Im game for that. I think i saw some post on the WTB section for that idea.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Sure do!

Originally posted by mackdaddy
Go here http://www.wheelcollision.com/8c.html $170 each (exchange) for a brand new re-finished TL wheel. Great deal!!

Looks like your best bet.
Did you not see this post for a wheel? It's a good deal!