I知 considering lowering my car and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 10:28 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I知 considering lowering my car and have a few questions

I知 considering lowering my car and have a few questions:

1. I want to do this tastefully. That is lowered ever so slightly, with stock rims, etc. After all I知 a 38 year old guy and don稚 want people to laugh (you know what I mean). What is tasteful and does anyone here have pics??

2. I知 not a mechanic, so where do I go? Do I buy the stuff myself before I go to the shop.

3. How much will this cost?

4. Does a lowered car look okay without the bodykit? I have a REALLY steep driveway and I know a bodykit would get damaged.

5. FINALLY, Is this NOT the thing to do for a 38 year old "geezer" like me?

** By the way, I have looked through the site and some people have REALLY sharp cars, esp. Junior Bean, this is me, njtls, and Mr Hyde:wow:. Forgive me if I致e missed anyone!
Old 05-08-2003, 10:40 AM
Racer

i'm thinking about doing the same thing, and so here is what i've found:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...light=comptech

and look at this guys car, looks NICE!!!

http://www.clonefirst.com/

i really dont like that "slammed" look, its just not for me, but i love the look that the comptech springs give the car. i'm definately considering it as a future project.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:47 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm 31...I don't care to be "slammed" either--especially since I play golf at least every other weekend with two or three ther people in tow...
I chose Comptech because of the above, and because my dealer would install them and warranty everything. The cost wasn't an issue...I did end up paying just short of $530 for springs and install and it made a world of difference.
Oh yeah, ps: 38 is till okay. It'd even be more okay with some 18's!!!
Old 05-08-2003, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Re: I知 considering lowering my car and have a few questions

First of all, thanks for including me in that list!

Now, to answer your questions:

1) The best drop for you would probably be the Comptech drop. It's subtle enough so that it's lowered, but not too low. I have the H&R sports, and I can tell you that it's lower then the Comptech's.

2) You should buy the stuff yourself and go to a shop. I'm not sure where you're located, but you may even be able to get the install done at a dealer.

3) You should not spend more then $225 to get an install. Depending where you are located it may be less. For example, I'm in NY and it cost me $200.

4) My car is lowered and I do NOT have a bodykit. I think it looks good

5) It's hard to say if lowering the car is for you or not. It definitely looks better and handles better. It may ride a small tad bit rougher, but honestly, it's not that different of a ride and the look and handling benefits far outweigh any slight change in ride.

I'd say go for it. I was very much against lowering the car b/c I didn't want the ride to be rougher, but not only did I lower the ride, but I went with low profile 18" rims and I love it!

If you're really unsure, take a ride in a car with someone who has Comptech springs. That's really the only way to test it without buying them.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the quick feedback. Now about my driveway. It has about a 40 degree incline. Should I worry if I drop my car (without bodykit of course)?

Thanks again. This site is great.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:09 AM
lover and fighter

Take an angular turn if it is a concern...
Wow, 40 degrees is a lot! You need the extra oomph to even get to your house!
Old 05-08-2003, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Thanks. Yeah, it's quite the climb, but we have a great view so it's worth it.

One final question: Any problem with resale, or do you just put the stock springs back on?
Old 05-08-2003, 11:21 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get some springs and you are set.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Cruisin'

38! Damm, you're old!

Just kidding. I'm 38 too! LOL.

I needed a new family sedan so I traded in a 01 Mustang Cobra for this car. I'm considering the Tein SS coil-overs so that I can control the drop and the ride.

I've been quoted 920 + 120 for the install. Does 120 seem low? Are the Teins that easy to install?
Old 05-08-2003, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by BackNBlack
38! Damm, you're old!

I needed a new family sedan so I traded in a 01 Mustang Cobra for this car. I'm considering the Tein SS coil-overs so that I can control the drop and the ride.

I've been quoted 920 + 120 for the install. Does 120 seem low? Are the Teins that easy to install?

Old, married and with kids. But I do feel a bit younger in my TL-S
Old 05-08-2003, 11:41 AM
lover and fighter

I doubt they are that easy to install. Seriously...
As far as resale, h=ll, I wouldn't tell anyone you had them. Honestly, the lay person will never know you ever lowered your car. Never...
Old 05-08-2003, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Iwas going to drop mine. My wife teased me and asked me if getting flames painted on the side was next. Still might do and she may never notice.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:03 PM
lover and fighter

ROFFL...
My ex-wife didn't notice when mine was done! She noticed wheels and stuff like that, but not the drop...
My dad has an '03 911 Turbo with some upgrades and he noticed the wheels, heard the CAI and noticed my calipers, but never noticed the drop at all. He even rode in the car before and after and afterwards, he made a comment one night (albeit he was drunk and I was driving him home) that the car handled remarkably well for a sedan (he also has an S430 or 420 or something)...
Old 05-08-2003, 02:10 PM
Banned

If I were to put on the new springs, do I have replace the shocks too....even though there are only 40k mi on the car?
Old 05-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lycos

** By the way, I have looked through the site and some people have REALLY sharp cars, esp. Junior Bean, this is me, njtls, and Mr Hyde:wow:. Forgive me if I致e missed anyone!
how did i end up on your list?!!:p
Thanks!!

I really need a drop also. My ride look like a pick-up!!
for a 38yr-old thinking about dropping his ride, i say he's still in his 20s in his heart.
now how about some stickers?
Old 05-08-2003, 03:40 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
38! Damm, you're old!

You can get Teins for $850 shipped ($875 if you use PayPal) from blxmjx on here or over on acura-cl.com ...

I got mine from him + the EDFC ... dont know how much the install is cuz I'm getting it installed with cambers, sways, icebox, and headers ($650 total for the install tho)..

And I think doing the Comptech drop is classy, BMWs usually have their dropped that low. I think it looks nice that way... Go for it!!!
Old 05-08-2003, 03:48 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Lycos

heh...i dont know how i got on your list either...my cars stock except for the kit...thanx tho
Old 05-08-2003, 05:16 PM
Cruisin'

The minimum drop with the tein ss coil-overs is 2" in front. How much of a drop do the comptechs provide? I saw the picture above and the drop looks nice but it's hard to gauge from a picture how many inches that really is. I'm looking for about a 1.5 " drop. Would the comptechs be a good fit?
Old 05-09-2003, 12:49 PM
lover and fighter

I don't know the exact drop (it is less than 2" for sure), but it is something like 1.25 front and 1.5 rear...It is perfect for me...
Old 05-09-2003, 01:29 PM
Liquid Ice

The minimum drop with the tein ss coil-overs is 2" in front. How much of a drop do the comptechs provide? I saw the picture above and the drop looks nice but it's hard to gauge from a picture how many inches that really is. I'm looking for about a 1.5 " drop. Would the comptechs be a good fit?
You can drop on Teins less than 2" ... You can go almost as high as stock. Probably a ~1" drop is the least you can go with Teins. I know people who have it dropped around 1.3" or so..

Comptech is around 1.75" front, 1.5" rear.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Cruisin'

So if I can do a slight 1" drop with the Teins, would I be better of with some HR OE springs would provide that kind of drop for less money.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the main benefit to using coilovers is for people who want a dramatic drop (2"+ )without the ride harshness of really low springs or people who want to setup their vehicle for racing (autox,.etc)

I'm assuming the HR OE springs will give me a decent drop without introducing any bounciness or harshness.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:59 AM
mushroom mushroom

mine with the H&R sports (aprox 1.75in drop) with the OEM bodykit.

http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery...albup75&page=1
Old 05-11-2003, 10:52 AM
Liquid Ice

So if I can do a slight 1" drop with the Teins, would I be better of with some HR OE springs would provide that kind of drop for less money.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the main benefit to using coilovers is for people who want a dramatic drop (2"+ )without the ride harshness of really low springs or people who want to setup their vehicle for racing (autox,.etc)

I'm assuming the HR OE springs will give me a decent drop without introducing any bounciness or harshness.
The main advantage of coilovers is that everything is built to work together. Its an entire package versus the springs which just go over your stock shocks. Over time with a lower/stiffer ride, you will force the shock to absorb more of the impact when you hit bumps etc ... and your stock shocks will wear out quicker. You can always go with aftermarket shocks at that point like the Koni Yellows. Additionally, the coilovers allow you to not only adjust your ride height, but also the ride stiffness. If you'd prefer a softer ride you can adjust that (using the EDFC you can do it on the fly from your seat).

The Tein SS coilovers are also supposed to be made for hard cornering so you'll see an advantage in that respect versus just springs.

Most likely the H&R OE springs, or the Comptech springs will be good enough for you, unless you need some of the extras that I mentioned above ... You'll eventually need to replace your shocks, but it will probably not be for awhile depending on how many miles you have on your car.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Instructor

will an acura dealership install comptech springs? i mean, they install exhaust and stuff, so will they install springs? and do springs void the warranty?
-david
Old 05-11-2003, 12:29 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally posted by therockshow
will an acura dealership install comptech springs? i mean, they install exhaust and stuff, so will they install springs? and do springs void the warranty?
-david
Depends on the dealer for both. My dealer will install aftermarket stuff (including Comptech). Its up to each dealer to make the call on warranty stuff. Some dealers will warranty Comptech parts, some won't ... (usually depends on whether or not they're a Comptech dealer as well).

Chances are if something breaks and its aftermarket the dealer won't warranty it though, and if the aftermarket part caused a problem with an OEM part and they can prove it, then they won't fix it either.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:38 PM
Racer

Dont drop your car! I had a dropped car for four Years and it was a pin in the A$$
1. Tire wears out fast due to the nefative camber.
2. There are placed in the city (San Francisco) where I would never dare take my car because it wouldn't make it.
3. You can feel every little bump in the road.
4. The stock shocks will only last you about 20-25k miles depending on road conditions.
5. If you have a body kit like I did...good luck gettin anywhere.
Dropping a car may look nice and handle ok but dam...your 38. Turn your car into a G ride...not a little rice mobile
Old 05-13-2003, 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok, I am recently 40, wife 2 kids, etc and I have the Eibach ProKit and the body kit with the Mugen rear wing! Anyway, I like the front with the kit. I actually liked the rear better before. Overall, I think the TL looks better with the kit. Even with the drop, the front spoiler does clear parking lot bumps, etc.

The Eibach ProKit is more aggressive than the Comptech or H&R OE and maybe even a bit more than the Sports. The ride quality is still real good. I think the Tokico shocks help. Koni's are better quality but much more $$'s. Overall, it handles great!

I have some pics of the car with the body kit and the drop; one with the drop alone.

TopGum's TL-S
Old 05-13-2003, 04:46 PM
lover and fighter

In Jax, the local dealer sells and installs Comptech (Acura of Orange Park) and will warranty its parts and install, except the supercharger...
Tofu, how much chronic have you blazed today???
Old 05-13-2003, 05:08 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally posted by Mushutofu
Dont drop your car! I had a dropped car for four Years and it was a pin in the A$$
1. Tire wears out fast due to the nefative camber.
2. There are placed in the city (San Francisco) where I would never dare take my car because it wouldn't make it.
3. You can feel every little bump in the road.
4. The stock shocks will only last you about 20-25k miles depending on road conditions.
5. If you have a body kit like I did...good luck gettin anywhere.
Dropping a car may look nice and handle ok but dam...your 38. Turn your car into a G ride...not a little rice mobile
He said he wanted to drop the car a little not slam it!

1. With the Comptech springs, the camber should not change too much and an alignment should be able to fix the problem. If necessary a camber kit can be purchased (but again with the comptech drop I doubt you'd need one).
2. Shouldn't matter if you're only dropping your car with the Comptech kit (which is only 1.75 front/1.5 rear)
3. From all reports that I've read, ride quality is not sacrified too much with the Comptech springs
4. This is true to a certain extent, but I'd think that with the Comptech drop, the shocks should last you around 100,000 miles or so, if not more at which time you can always buy replacement shocks like the Koni yellows.
5. Read #2

Again, he's talking about dropping his ride ever so slightly, not slamming it 3 inches or more ... He shouldn't have to worry about most of what you've mentioned.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:37 PM
Racer

My original car had a 1.75 inch neuspeed drop. The look was very subtle but I was going through tires every ~15,000 miles. All you need is a negative camber of 1 degree to limit the life of your tires. Obviously r10 you have liitle or no experience when it comes to cars. My alignment was fine and that isn't the issue usually when you drop your ride.
And once a dealer sees a dropped ride...forget about gettin fair service.
This is from my experience.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:46 PM
Intermediate

I just recently got a set of 18's for my TL and now it seems like I have wheel gap by the damn lb!! I want to get some springs that will kill some of the gap but not lose that much comfort so from the previous posts it seems like comptech is the way to go I just wanted to know that no one is having rubbing problems and if you are please describe your setup-rims-offset.Thanx
Old 05-14-2003, 09:46 AM
lover and fighter

ROFFL!!! I'm 31. I have 16 cars in my 15 years of driving, and I've played around with all but 2 of them!
I may not get under the car and install the springs myself, but I've HAD IT DONE enough to know...
My car has been lowered for 19,000 miles now. Check my sig. See my mods. I have 18's and cheap tires. I've never had a rubbing problem (and play golf every weekend with 2 and three other people driving over speedbumps inevitably). The dealer installed and warrantied my springs (and other parts except for the Neuspeed bar which I installed). I did not buy a camber kit since my dealer advised me I didn't need it (and they sell Comptech everything and should be the first place to gouge you). My dealer also advised I did not need an alignment and to this day I've never had one.
Even with my cheapo tires, I have 22,000 miles on them and they still can go another 10k or so without replacing. They are only 280 rated as well...

So, IMMHO, if you buy a good product, get a good install, and have a good ride to start with, you will end up with a good result.
But what the hell do I know...
Old 05-15-2003, 10:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
i would tell you that if you got the Koni yellow shocks SP3 AKA neuspeed koni's you could keep the stock springs lower the car 1.0 inch front .75 rear and have better control over your suspension however costs alittle more at about 600$ plus install...unless you DIY like me rear shocks =a *****