How much are windshield replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006 | 01:53 AM
WDP Is Faster

How much are windshield replacements?

I was on the left lane of a two lane road getting off of a highway and some fucker behind me on the right decided that it'd be smart to fully accelerate, cut me off, drive over the gravel and continue onto the highway. When I saw this, I let go of accelerator but it was too late. Rock shower to the front and the very last thing I heard was a glass crack sound. I knew something was cracked but didn't knwo where. Quickly scanned the window..didn't see it. I came back home and guess what...Right next to the windshield wipers, there's a bullet look-a-like shatter @ the size of a lil smaller than a penny.

I know I will have to replace it because the last thign I want it to do is get bigger and possibly shatter in my face or my parent's. So..how much will it cost? My mom told me that at her work area, there's a place where these people do it for cheap like in the $100ish range. I'm not sure if it is genuine Honda Parts but if that is the cheapest, than i may have to go with that.

Also..at a legal point of view, would I be able to sue that fucker if I was to chase him and call the cops? I didn't do it before because I didn't want to chase him for no fuckin reason if i saw no glass shatter or anything. I didn't even write downt his license plate either...because for sure I would've gotten his address and fucked his car up. Or..would this be considered a "you can't do anything but accept it" kinda situation?

BTW..i was lucky..compared to the sounds that I heard from the rock showers and everything..the only visible marks for rightnow..are a few rock chips (two for right now) and little chips on the window and glass shatter next to the wipers. I was expecting a lot worse..but I will have to wiat for daytime to really inspect it.

aight..thanks ..sorry for th rant along with the question.
Old 12-18-2006 | 03:44 AM
Drifting

Why wouldn't insurance should cover the replacement?
Old 12-18-2006 | 04:21 AM
WDP Is Faster

the thing is that I dont' want my insurance to go up.

Don't the insurance go up if it is my fault? I don't have any witnesses or any report on that guy so I would basically have to pay for it.
Old 12-18-2006 | 05:23 AM
2nd Gear

your insurance will cover it 100%.......most states it's law.....just call your agent.
Old 12-18-2006 | 05:27 AM
2nd Gear

and no your insurance won't go up. it's to deter people from driving with cracked shields while looking for best shop in town.
Old 12-18-2006 | 09:50 AM
Intermediate

I agree with these other guys as well. You can report it to your insurance and let them take care of it. Your insurance wont go up, it should it. Unless you have some ol mom and pop insurance. Or if your still kind of peranoid about your insurance going up then you can just buy a whole new winshield. There should be plenty of glass shops out there with a reasonable price on them. Over here in Houston you catch a new one with labor and all for about $120.
Old 12-18-2006 | 10:14 AM
Kilos of yayo in

Stealership charged me $250. I can understand not wanting to get insurance involved most will want to raise rates for anything. Plus unless you have a really low deductable it ends up not being worth it. If you shop around you should be able to get it around $100.
Old 12-18-2006 | 10:20 AM
Drifting

I had the windshield replaced on my 1999 TL a few months ago and it was about $290 installed with "AP Tech" glass. AP Tech is the OEM manufacturer of Acura TL windshields. You can save money with cheaper glass made in China but my installer didn't recommend it.

You can also get the same AP Tech glass with a "Honda" label on it but be prepared to spend hundreds more for it.

See this thread for more info:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/george-lucas-needs-quit-141423/

Be sure to find an experienced installer.

Bob
Old 12-18-2006 | 10:36 AM
On the way!

The windshield is an integral part of your vehicle's rigidity and crash protection. I wouldn't suggest trying to go cheap on it. OEM glass would be my preference.
Old 12-18-2006 | 11:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

If the crack is not touching the edge yet and the size is no larger than a quarter coin, you might be able to get it fixed for cheap. I have a chip in my SUV and I got it fixed at the same day (30minutes) a few days ago for $55.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2006 | 11:25 AM
Not Asian

I paid $250 for a new windshield.
Old 12-18-2006 | 11:35 AM
WDP Is Faster

Alright thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

I guess I'll see what kind of glass this one place is using that my mom said I could take it. If he's using cheap glass then I'll probably go another place. I know last time this incident happened, it was replaced with a honda genuine part so I may just suck it up and go with that...for the safety concern which sounds worth it...

once again thank you all.
Old 12-18-2006 | 11:47 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by reloaded
... I know last time this incident happened, it was replaced with a honda genuine part so I may just suck it up and go with that...
And note that it doesn't have to have the "Honda" label on it to be OEM glass. Just get "AP Tech", skip the Honda label and save a few hundred dollars. That's what I did.

Bob
Old 12-18-2006 | 12:56 PM
WDP Is Faster

Originally Posted by Bob_F
And note that it doesn't have to have the "Honda" label on it to be OEM glass. Just get "AP Tech", skip the Honda label and save a few hundred dollars. That's what I did.

Bob
Alright thanks for the tip. Yea i just checked my windshield because I didn't know what brand it was but I guess last time the windshield was replaced, it was replaced with "Honda AP Tech"... So now i'll just look at the AP Tech edition