How many with tranny problems; Transmission Recall

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004 | 08:01 PM
7th Gear

I don't qualify for the NY lemon law because I exceeded the limits of the provisions...it only applies to vehicles that are either two years old, or with less than 18k miles.
Old 11-10-2004 | 02:01 PM
Advanced

Just got word that my friend's tranny went out on her '03 TL at 71,000 miles. She was cruising at 70 mph when the car started jerking (felt like she was slamming on her brakes then letting off). She took it into the dealership and they said that it was indeed her transmission (which was covered), but it also led to a broken engine mount and a couple of other problems (all of which aren't covered).

My question is: Is Acura not liable for the damage that the faulty transmission causes?? That's very poor service, if it's "yes."

She hasn't picked up her car from the dealer yet, but is already looking at getting a new Lexus. She's over Acura... in fact, she thought I was crazy for buying my used '02 TLS, knowing that it potentially could have tranny problems. I told her I was willing to take that risk. I just wonder what the percentage is (on TL's and TLS') of faulty trannys...
Old 11-12-2004 | 08:09 AM
9th Gear

Another victim

Brought my 2003 TL-S in yesterday for the recall check (and complaints of slippage). They phoned to tell me they need to order me a new tranny. C R A P ! At least 2 weeks for repair. Thank GOD I didn't take that stupid Neon they offerred as a rental! Instead I'm stuck in a Dodge Durango...WTF I want a loaner MDX!!!
Old 11-12-2004 | 08:15 AM
2nd Gear

Update: I just got my 2003 TL-S back yesterday. The dealer treated me well, put me in a decent loaner, and got my car back to me one day before they had promised. On the drive home, the transmission felt much smoother than it ever was, but also felt quite different. When I got home, I found the following note with the paperwork:

"Some things you should know.
The transmision that has been installed in your car has been redesigned and recalibrated for longer life. Also the Power train Control Module (PCM) that controls engine management and transmission shift points has been updated. The fuel pressure regulator may have been replaced, depending on the year and model of your car. The new regulator has been recalibrated to work with the PCM. The changes that have been made will affect the way the transmission shifts. Most changes will be transparent but you may notice some differences. Some of these differences will be minimized as the PCM maps your driving habits and tailors itself to your driving style. The Acura division of American Honda has made these changes to insure the dependability of your transmission and to bolster your confidence in the your Acura automobile for the years to come. Should you have any further questions please feel free to contact your Service Advisor".
Old 11-16-2004 | 12:16 PM
Instructor

My tranny died at 27k miles not to long after the oil jet kit was installed. I actually flushed the fluid out a 100 miles before it died. The fluid was black. If ACURA supposedly checked the tranny why didnt they see the black fluid. You know why its because they are full od Sh*t and just put the oil jet kit in. It took 2 weeks for them to repace it and i was given a GMC Evnoy. Car feels slower on acceleration but does shift smoother. They also replaced and engine mount. Lets see after its broken in a bit how it behaves!!!
Old 11-16-2004 | 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by aclura
The tow truck guy told me he had personally towed 20 - 30 TL's with the same problem!!! Wow, I hope the problem isn't that widespread! The service guy claims they have only replaced 4 out of over a 1000 TL's examined since the recall.

Check some of these threads and join the club, the trannies are trash.
you have to remember what they are inspecting for the oiljet kit isnt the same problem the rest of us are having.

honda said that there was a 1-2% failure rate and they were right! thats for the 2nd gear shaft that goes bad. all the rest of us haf the 3rd gear clutchpack problem, honda DOES NOT have a recall on that part, nor do they have a fix, and they do not inspect that part durring the oiljet inspection
Old 11-16-2004 | 12:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by crombie1000
I had my transmission replaced once already and I have a similar problem as you. I take the same way to work every day and the same speed as usual...I can mark the spot on the road every day where it feels like the car will drop into neutral and then back into gear. It's the same exact spot. It's only about 1/2 mile from my house at 35mph. the car is running along like its on rails and then all of a sudden it does a little studder, I just tap the gas and it doesn't do it again the rest of the way to work. 2nd gear however usually feels like it slips a little if you're on the gas hard. I've given up calling acura and have decided to live with it until it fails completely or I sell the car.

Man, thats scarry, mine was doing the same.... same places on the road...
30days later after they installed the jet kit my tranny is gone !!!!!
I went to the dealer, they inspected it and told me that there is no codes or any discoloration and that the tranny is fine, the manager and the tech told me the same... 5 minutes later after I started driving home, it wouldnt shift from 2nd gear, took it back and they told me that tranny is gone... oh really, you told me 5 minutes ago that it was fine...............
Old 11-16-2004 | 06:37 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by PhillyTL-S
Man, thats scarry, mine was doing the same.... same places on the road...
30days later after they installed the jet kit my tranny is gone !!!!!
I went to the dealer, they inspected it and told me that there is no codes or any discoloration and that the tranny is fine, the manager and the tech told me the same... 5 minutes later after I started driving home, it wouldnt shift from 2nd gear, took it back and they told me that tranny is gone... oh really, you told me 5 minutes ago that it was fine...............
Here's how stupid they are on the West coast...
This "kid" from the service dept. calls me to tell me they got "the 2 parts in...a torque converter gasket and some O-rings. When would you like to make an appointment to have to work done?" :wtf:
I told him that they already have the car for the past 4 days, I'm in a rental that they are paying for, and what about the transmission??? LOL
He tries some lame excuse about only having a few notes from the last guy...so I tell hime to get a clear picture of what needs to be done and call me back.
Guess what? DUH! The tranny is on order and hadn't yet arrived, and that's why he thought only the other parts needed installing...

What a buncha dorks.

Me thinks I shoulda got a Lexus or BMW instead.
Old 11-17-2004 | 03:18 PM
MAK
9th Gear

Shudder

I get the same thing, same spot, every day. It's also less than one mile from my house.

My thought on why was not transmission failure. Isn't the automatic transmission "adaptive" in nature or something similar? I can't find my brochure at this time, but will check the owner's manual. Torque converter locking/unlocking?

The reason I ask is that where it happens for me is right down at the bottom of the hill from my house. It is the first "flat" spot in the road, about 100 ft. past where the road flattens out.

We'll see. I'm going in next week for the recall.
Old 11-18-2004 | 12:38 AM
6th Gear

As I mentioned in a previous post, I got the letter. I took it in and they said, indeed, that the tranny is toast and will be replaced.

The oiljet issue is a farce. The clutchpack is the real issue and everyone (including Acura) knows it.

2002 TL-S with 65,000 miles and transmission #3. That they don't fix it - design and replace / install new trannys that are up to the quality of the rest of the car - is a frustrating.

Later,

E.
Old 11-18-2004 | 12:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom2002TL
As I mentioned in a previous post, I got the letter. I took it in and they said, indeed, that the tranny is toast and will be replaced.

The oiljet issue is a farce. The clutchpack is the real issue and everyone (including Acura) knows it.

2002 TL-S with 65,000 miles and transmission #3. That they don't fix it - design and replace / install new trannys that are up to the quality of the rest of the car - is a frustrating.

Later,

E.
I'm really wondering myself - is it that hard to build a car with a transmission that will last? For one of the most powerful automotive companies in the world you would think they can re-design the gearbox and swap it out with replacement parts that would hold up. I cant believe that they dont have a fix for us.
Acura/Honda is already spending all this money replacing transmissions, isn't it cheaper to put in the right parts and fix it the first time than replace it 3 or 4 times?
Old 11-18-2004 | 08:43 AM
I love cars!

At almost 97,000 miles I'm trying not to be paranoid about the mild shudder I've experieced 2-3 times in the last month, but I don't want to wait until 100,001 miles, either. Would codes be stored that correspond to when I felt the shudders in the driveline? I dread going to my normally fabulous dealer only to hear "sorry, couldn't duplicate the problem, then end up with dead tranny just outside the warranty extension AND my ACuraCare warranty period.

2ns point: is anyone simply CONVINCED that they must get rid of their car by 100K else the resale value drop like a stone?! With the recall being widely known, I wonder how badly resale is affected, even if the car's been "fixed".
Old 11-18-2004 | 10:06 AM
PROUD TL OWNER

To All My TL owners:
I am so pissed offffffffffffff i can murder somebody so i just got my new tranny put in like a month ago and i just got stuck on the 14 North in Cali if any one Knows that freeway they no there is no life to be seen for miles. So i had to get it towed to Acura of Valencia to find out that its the fuckin TRANNY. THis is the second time and im pretty sure with any thing that happens more than 3 times the Lemon Law goes into affect. If any one knows of what i should do feel free to post your replys.
Old 11-19-2004 | 02:21 PM
6th Gear

My car - 2002 TL - will be for sale as soon as it gets back to me (tranny recall being installed.) The dealer has had the car for a week now. I'm driving a free loaner.

I am very bummed because the look, power, comfort, price and features are great. The touch-screen Navi that Acura has is the best in the world (BMW and Mercedes are terrible - no, on second thought - they suck). I hate to part with the TL but this tranny issue is a safety and convenience issue. I don't want my wife stranded.

My wife and also just cancelled our special order (for the color she wanted) for the 2005 MDX with Navi and voice activation. The sales rep freaked. I can't begin to say how dissappointing this is - but my wife and I are certain we are making the right choice.

Best Regards,

E.
Old 11-19-2004 | 06:46 PM
9th Gear

Got my car back after one week. It seems OK for now.
They changed the tranny and the PCM.
I do notice that it gets to 5th gear sooner (about 45MPH) and stays there longer before it decides to downshift (I was going 35 MPH on a slight incline).
Hrmph...maybe I'll get some better fuel economy?
Old 11-20-2004 | 12:12 PM
9th Gear

Tranny Issues

I just have my FIRST tranny replaced at 51,000 miles two weeks ago. Now it is hestiating between 1st and 2nd, so its going back.

I filed a formal complaint with Acura customer service and sent a letter to the President of Honda/Acura North America the first time. There will be a second letter to both describing the new issues. I will also contact NSTA and file a complaint there. We ALL should do the same so that they rectify this issue. What happens at 101K when this thing goes again...am I to pay $5K to fix this? This is BS.

I am seriously considering demanding some type of compensation and trading it in for a later model '04 (without the recall). This problem is completely unacceptable from a firm that has one of the most reliable reputations in the industy.

As for the recall, they have absolutely staggered them because they would be overwhelmed wiht all of the recalls.

Step it up Acura!
Old 11-23-2004 | 09:39 AM
Speaker City Rocks

I did get a little insider information regarding the transmissions, or rather the repair of the transmissions. I have a good buddy that works service at a Toyota Dealer here. He usually does work on my TL, and he has friends at one of the two Acura dealers in town. He told him that they are replacing the transmissions at such a high rate that they do not even worry about the 100,000 mile cutoff and they are replacing them with as high as 150,000 miles.(and he did not inicate that that was even a "solid" cutoff.) He said "the japenese stand behind the product"

Now I do not know if I would get the same kind of respect as a guy that had all his maintenance done at the dealer and maybe bought 3 cars in a row from the same place, but it did make me feel a little better about the whole thing. The other thing is that we will see if they are still willing to replace trannies at 150k a year or two from now. I'll bet that will slow down.

One other thing, has anyone experience that the shiftronic does not line up properly after the tranny replacement?
Old 11-30-2004 | 10:11 AM
I love cars!

Well, yesterday I had a significant jerk as I started up an overpass from one freeway to another, and I've noticed at least 3 times in slow highway traffic (20-40mph) what is either a slip or jerk from the transmission. Mine has had the oil jet for at least a couple of months. Is it really going south and is it it time to take it in to the dealer, or am I being paranoid? I'm dreading the whole "can't duplicate it" scenario, and I'm about to hit 98K! Any advice?
Old 11-30-2004 | 11:07 AM
Racer

Fast-TL,
I would take the car to the dealer and have the problem documented since you are so close to the end of warranty. If you get in the "can't duplicate it" scenario, at least, you can show you have been having problems prior to the end of warranty. I think acura will replace transmissions after the 100K if pushed.
Good luck with your problem.
Old 11-30-2004 | 11:16 AM
I love cars!

Thanks..better safe than sorry.
Old 11-30-2004 | 03:15 PM
I love cars!

Just made an appt for Friday morning to get my 97,500 mile service done and to check the tranny. Service writer said we'd need to take a ride, but I can GUARANTEE it won't do it during that ride. I just know it...I don't want to be stuck with this probable failure after 100K, but we'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt. Dealer's usually great....
Old 12-03-2004 | 09:37 AM
I love cars!

Dropped off my '00TL to the dealer this morning, of course it was an angel all the way there, so I'm sure they're going to say they couldn't dupe the problem. I desribed it as an occasional hesitation between 20-40 mph and intermittent jerkiness while going up an on-ramp, for instance. Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 12-03-2004 | 09:37 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

I just posted that my tranny failed, and when I get the reg number I'll report it
Old 12-04-2004 | 08:11 AM
5th Gear

Fast-TL, I'm experiencing the same thing. Please keep us posted.

Originally Posted by fast-tl
Dropped off my '00TL to the dealer this morning, of course it was an angel all the way there, so I'm sure they're going to say they couldn't dupe the problem. I desribed it as an occasional hesitation between 20-40 mph and intermittent jerkiness while going up an on-ramp, for instance. Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 12-04-2004 | 06:09 PM
I love cars!

Will do. I dropped it at 7am yesterday and didn't hear a peep all day yesterday or today. I hope that means they're TRYING to duplicate the problem. Thanks to someone who posted the text of the recall letter, I re-read that it recommends taking the car to the dealer for erratic shifting, and I'd say that the shifting is erratic lately. The problem is intermittent, but better to have them check and fix it within 100K warranty!
Old 12-05-2004 | 12:22 PM
5th Gear

BTW, I have 75000+ miles on the car. What about yours?

Thnx

Will do. I dropped it at 7am yesterday and didn't hear a peep all day yesterday or today. I hope that means they're TRYING to duplicate the problem. Thanks to someone who posted the text of the recall letter, I re-read that it recommends taking the car to the dealer for erratic shifting, and I'd say that the shifting is erratic lately. The problem is intermittent, but better to have them check and fix it within 100K warranty!
Old 12-05-2004 | 12:41 PM
I love cars!

Mine has a little over 97,500, which is why I'm anxious to have this looked into. Before the oil jet, the only tranny problem I have was the ridiculous delay in shifting from R -> D, which appears to be characteristic of the the 2G TL. After the oil jet no one mentioned that they reset my PCM or anything, but a month or two afterward is when I first noticed the firmness of shifting at times, and even more recently the intermittent jerks and hesitation. IF they don't find the problem, I'd better start keeping a log of places and times it occurs, or get ready to trade that bad boy!
My preference would be to trade before 100K, but I have to clear that with the boss, and she already hates car shopping. *sigh*
Old 12-06-2004 | 03:31 PM
I love cars!

Just called the dealer for a checkup. They've ordered a new transmission and ECU/ECM/PCM/whatever they call it, and the car will possibly be done by Thursday, though I'm not counting on it. I told them to take their time. No need to rush in this type of situation. I *love* these guys. They really take care of me.
Old 12-06-2004 | 08:51 PM
9th Gear

you'll be surprised how fast they can change a tranny! I sure was!
Old 12-06-2004 | 09:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverSteve03
I'm not suprised, they get enough practice!!!
Old 12-06-2004 | 09:39 PM
I love cars!

You're right; the problem is getting the parts there, according to my service advisor today. I took the car in last Friday, and he said it'd be this Thursday at best. I told him to take the time he needed. I'll drive their 7k mile TSX for about as long as they want over my 98K TL. Nothing like variety at times. I just can't convince myself so far to replace the '00 TL with a TSX. But that's another thread.
Old 12-06-2004 | 10:51 PM
9th Gear

... I just can't convince myself so far to replace the '00 TL with a TSX. But that's another thread.
I knew I should have got the Hyundai!
I'm ready to turn in the '03!
Had two small "hesitations" this morning. I think it was going in and out of overdrive, but it sure didn't feel right. We'll see how long this new tranny lives.
Old 12-07-2004 | 11:50 AM
I love cars!

I knew I should have got the Hyundai!
I'm ready to turn in the '03!
Had two small "hesitations" this morning. I think it was going in and out of overdrive, but it sure didn't feel right. We'll see how long this new tranny lives.
*GULP* I think I got good advice when someone suggested I take it in, even if they couldn't reproduce the problem , I started a paper trail on that issue.

Also I'll have to find out if this tranny is warranted just until 100K or if it's longer.
Old 12-08-2004 | 02:44 PM
I love cars!

Well, the dealer just called and told me they got the tranny in the car OK, but when they test drove it, there was a whine coming from the transmission, so.......they're ordering another, which should arrive in a couple more days. This means more TSX time for me, HOWEVER, my purchasing dealer sent a postcard today saying that until 1/1/05 I can get any model for their EMPLOYEE price!! Anyone know whar that is?
Old 12-08-2004 | 03:12 PM
Racer

Transmission Hell

Fast-TL,
This maybe your big chance to get out of "Acura tranmission hell". If the dealer has a good employee price and gives you a reasonable trade-in, I would go for it, if your finances allow.
I do not trust car dealers and maybe you will get some good ideas of an average employee discount from this post. The "employee price" maybe just a bullshit car sales tactic. Complaining to your regional manager and ACS may help Acura come up with a better price for you.
I tried calling my salesman to get some information about employee pricing for you but he was out playing golf today. After making so much money off my last trade he probably won't have to work again for a month.
I had a second generation car and never really trusted it with the transmission issue looming over my head all the time. Finally traded it in for an 05. Getting rid of the transmission issue was worth the trade.
Hope this helps you and I will post any info I get about employee pricing.
Good luck and be careful!!
Old 12-08-2004 | 04:36 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by jazzpicker
Fast-TL,
This maybe your big chance to get out of "Acura tranmission hell". If the dealer has a good employee price and gives you a reasonable trade-in, I would go for it, if your finances allow.
I do not trust car dealers and maybe you will get some good ideas of an average employee discount from this post. The "employee price" maybe just a bullshit car sales tactic. Complaining to your regional manager and ACS may help Acura come up with a better price for you.
I tried calling my salesman to get some information about employee pricing for you but he was out playing golf today. After making so much money off my last trade he probably won't have to work again for a month.
I had a second generation car and never really trusted it with the transmission issue looming over my head all the time. Finally traded it in for an 05. Getting rid of the transmission issue was worth the trade.
Hope this helps you and I will post any info I get about employee pricing.
Good luck and be careful!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Getting out of Acura transmission hell is the pitch I'm going to make to the wife. I did start another thread in the 3G forum about the offer I received in the mail today as part of the Happy Holidays sales season. Feel free to contribute more info, and I appreciate your effort.
Old 12-08-2004 | 09:51 PM
Racer

http://autos.yahoo.com/owning/mainta...tra%01qastarts

This was an interesting article about tranny fluids.
I will definitely change mine more often.
Old 12-11-2004 | 03:27 PM
I love cars!

Well, after two attempts at replacing my transmission at 97,500 miles, the dealer was successful after a week with the car. It feels slightly different, but not better or worse. I'm still looking to trade, but my car's value is in the toilet ($8K lowball, then revised up to maybe $10K). I may look into trading on a TSX instead of a TL, since there's a lot of negative equity in my car...too much to roll into a new loan. Well, it's a lot better than spending my OWN $3K to replace the tranny.
Old 12-16-2004 | 10:24 AM
10th Gear

Question about Acura Transmission: Will Appreciate your help!!!

Hi,
I got my New second transmission in October. I noticed one thing is that the Gear does not shifts as smooth as it was before, Sometime even at 50-60 MPH, (if I put the car in Manual mode) the Car is still under 4th gear, I have to shift it to 5th gear manualy.

Also the RPM is high.

For example
At Parking RPM is 1000-1200
At 20 MPH my RPM indicator shows 2000-2500 RPM
At 40-60 MPH my RPM indicator shows 3500-4000 RPM and stays their til I remove the foot from gas pedal and then car shift to next gear.

My question is :-

1) Are these RPM Normal?
2) What is normal RPM at above spped?
3) Also, does any one notice the same problem?

I went back to dealer and as per him it is normal. He told me that Acura made some changes in their computer and transmission and it is normal.
Old 12-16-2004 | 11:33 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by patilsd
Hi,
I got my New second transmission in October. I noticed one thing is that the Gear does not shifts as smooth as it was before, Sometime even at 50-60 MPH, (if I put the car in Manual mode) the Car is still under 4th gear, I have to shift it to 5th gear manualy.

Also the RPM is high.

For example
At Parking RPM is 1000-1200
At 20 MPH my RPM indicator shows 2000-2500 RPM
At 40-60 MPH my RPM indicator shows 3500-4000 RPM and stays their til I remove the foot from gas pedal and then car shift to next gear.

My question is :-

1) Are these RPM Normal?
2) What is normal RPM at above spped?
3) Also, does any one notice the same problem?

I went back to dealer and as per him it is normal. He told me that Acura made some changes in their computer and transmission and it is normal.
1. In park, im at 750 rpm.
2. 50 mph-1600 rpm, 60 mph-1800 rpm, 70 mph-2000 rpm. Assuming in 5th gear.
3. My car has never done what you described.

Oh yea, transmission replaced @ 51,000. Currently @ 53,500 miles.

Quick Reply: How many with tranny problems; Transmission Recall