How many with tranny problems; Transmission Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 12:02 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummm, How do I go about on finding out if my tranny has ever been replaced?? I just bought the darn car, and it drives great. Put already 250 miles in 2 weeks; today makes it 2 weeks.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:22 AM
9th Gear

Acura can tell you the history of replacements,

Has anyone else noticed the 'new' trans do not list as long as original. After the first one I have needed a new trans every 20K or so.........
Old 09-27-2004, 09:44 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
I thionk they plan to announce the TL and CL recall after they deal with the thousands of SUVs and Vans (Pilot, Oddesy, MDX) getting in to get new trannies. There would be NO WAY they would put a recall in on 8 different lines of cars at the same time. No one would be able to get to the dealership for a oil change or any service, if the dealership had to give out rentals to every owner of - TLs - CLs - Oddesy - Pilot - MDX - Accord they might as well buy Budget rental car franchise to get the discount!!

I wouldn't be suprised if after the first wave of trannie replacements, the MDX and two others, the next wave would be the other three cars discussed in this thread, the TL, CL and Accord. Fingers crossed!!

But if you are positive that the trannies are the same from the MDX to the TL then it is almost garenteed that we will be next....
This thread started out talking about the other models that were having tranny probs, are they still having problems as well? I am looking at purchasing a used 2002 and need to know if this is ever going to get fixed...I had a 2003 tl-s which I sold with about 33k miles on it with no probs...miss the car, but don't know if I miss it enough to replace a tranny every 20k miles...
Old 09-27-2004, 10:23 AM
7th Gear

P.s...

Ok, I made some calls to a dealer that I have dealt with in the past...Here is what they are saying now. If your tranny is not under warranty, they are not using a rebuilt acura tranny, they are buying from some place in CA called Howard's Transmission, or I think this is Howard Engineering Corp. Cost is about 5k, but is not an Acura rebuilt tranny, according to the dealer I spoke with. They also said that this particular tranny comes with a better warranty...not sure 5k is worth it, but interesting none the less...guess depends on how deep the love goes...
Old 09-27-2004, 10:32 AM
7th Gear

Update: The company name is Howard Engineering Hec Corp. They are out of LA....I just called them, and they are Acura rebuilt trannies, they are a wholesaler who requires a rebuilder to make inquiries...they do a trade in on the core so who knows what the actual cost is...50/50 warranties...same as new...without the extended...not sure if that helps anyone or not...info is always good...
Old 09-27-2004, 01:53 PM
SCMPredator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have 37K on my 2002 TL. I brought it into Park Ave Acura...and they fitted the Oil Jet Kit.
the mech said he couldnt find discoloration on the 2nd gear...I dont understand how some people's tranny is messed up...and others are okay if we are all using the same damn tranny.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:17 AM
Cruisin'

My tranny just went on me before I came over here to Kyrgyzstan(Im in the military), 2000TLP, 65,000miles, I didnt know anything about the recall untill i checked this website from overhere. I made an appointment to get it fixed when I get back to the states. Shouldnt they have sent out a recall letter or something?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:09 AM
10th Gear

I went into Acura about 2 weeks ago to get some stuff done and they added to the list a check of the second gear because they are now trying to relieve the problemm and from what I understood, if they found something was wrong then they would fix it if not then you were good to go. So they checked mine and no problems found (thank god). So I guess they are trying to deal with the problem.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:10 AM
8th Gear

I Got a Call From Ma Honda

I recieved a call from Honda Motor company a couple of days ago. They wanted to know how the Acura was. Well, I let them have it. Told them it would qualify as a lemon in California, that it was on its third transmission and going in to the dealer so they could inspect the second gear this coming Tuesday. Told them it eats brake rotors like potato chips and that it needs a 1000.00 (no your eyes are not deceiving you) head light inverter. Told them I'd buy the car to get the over miles on my lease forgiven even though the resale value is in the sewer if they would give me a lifetime warranty in the car.

The rep mouthed a lot of sympathetic platitudes but said they had nothing to do with financing and couldn't help me. So I told them I'd been in contact with the lawyer for class action suit and had signed the petition. The rep then told me she had to end the conversation immediately and that he had flagged my VIN as one associsted with the suit and petition.

I don't know what Honda is trying to pull here.

Anyone have any ideas or has anyone else gotten the call?
Old 09-30-2004, 12:34 PM
3rd Gear

I have a 99 TL with 97K miles on it. I bought it in 2001, when it had around 45K on it. I dropped it off at the dealership last Friday and they called me on Saturday to tell me that they had ordered a new transmission and that it was a warranty item.

I have since looked at all of the problems on the site and dare them to try and charge me a dime for any of the work. You know, they try and charge a "standard labor rate" to "evaluate" the problem. BAH! They can kiss it....I'm going to jump on the petition bandwagon also! This is complete BS.

I think I'm ready to sell now....are there any vehicles that ARE completely reliable????
Old 09-30-2004, 01:03 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No such thing as completely reliable. I think some mfrs are on teh higher end of reliability, and Honda remains there along with Toyota (who's had their engine oil sludge problem!).
It's strange to me how a Hyundai or Kia can offer a 5yr or 10yr warranty when GM, Ford, Honda and Toyota don't.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:06 AM
8th Gear

Getting rid of my troubles

I'm picking up my new Ford Tuarus which I got on the A plan today. Good luck to all of you. I hope Honda does right by all of us but I'm not gonna hold my breath. Honda product? NEVER AGAIN!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:28 AM
Instructor

Yeah, Company car Taurus sled for me from now on, i'll hate it, but at least I know what to expect!!! My new "oil jet" trans went after 2 weeks.... ANyone want an 02 TLS with Nav, custom DVD changer/Navi conversion, 10" sub, etc???? I'll cut you a deal....just by some trans fluid for the test drive !hahahah!!!!
Old 10-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add me to the list, tranny #2 is on it's way.....
Old 10-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Instructor

If honda would fix the tranny problem they could be back to the top, where will they be when the next goof appears...???
Old 10-10-2004, 10:59 PM
i am so happy

I went to downtown acura to see about the recall, cause i felt a bit o slip a few times in some races. After talking to the shop wrench for about 15min, i had to take him to the car to show him how to open the doors "no handles", he saw the car and no shit, said "you really should just kick the shit out of it untill it blows, you only have 28000km, and the money you sunk into this thing. . . get you moneys worth. All i can do is put a cooler on it if it aint burnt out yet, but if it's fried, you get a whole new one."
After that, and the fact that it's covered for 180 000km, i havent hed so much fun trying to spin the second gear right out of the car, I'm not there yet but trust you me, I'm working on it.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:40 PM
Instructor

I went to the Acura dealer for the transmission recall. They told me "everything looks good" and they put the oil jet on. 2500 miles later (about 2 weeks with my driving) my 2nd transmission failed. This is a bunch of BS.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Instructor

BJSTLS,

I am in Neptune NJ area...where do you go for service? I am new here and original dealer is in RI, tried Acura of Ocean (total a-holes, all of them) and they wouldnt give me a loaner or even bother with me, went to Davis Acura in PA and they were great...they installed trans # 3 last month and 2 weeks later it failed COMPLETELY on I-195.... tried Open Road Acura in Brunswick, they are too backed up and dont even want the work...no loaner... had to fight with Acura for 2 days and Dealerships would not cooperate....Acura had to have the car towed all the way to PA, they would give me a loaner..I was car-less for 6 days and had to take time out of work to fight with them. Any decent dealers in NJ, or do they all suck???

Mark
Old 10-16-2004, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by moat
BJSTLS,

I am in Neptune NJ area...where do you go for service? I am new here and original dealer is in RI, tried Acura of Ocean (total a-holes, all of them) and they wouldnt give me a loaner or even bother with me, went to Davis Acura in PA and they were great...they installed trans # 3 last month and 2 weeks later it failed COMPLETELY on I-195.... tried Open Road Acura in Brunswick, they are too backed up and dont even want the work...no loaner... had to fight with Acura for 2 days and Dealerships would not cooperate....Acura had to have the car towed all the way to PA, they would give me a loaner..I was car-less for 6 days and had to take time out of work to fight with them. Any decent dealers in NJ, or do they all suck???

Mark

Hey Mark, I had my car towed to Acura of Ocean and they did my tranny (actually both times.) I agree that all of them are complete a-holes. I Like Precision Acura in Princeton on Rt.1. I usually like to deal with those guys. As for the loaner, I actually have better luck getting a loaner through Acura of Ocean. Precision Acura (if no loaner car is available) will rent you a car. Acura of Ocean gave me an '04 TL with Navi to drive when my 2nd tranny died.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:11 AM
Advanced

Well I think I just joined the club. 24,258 miles on a 03TLS late build 13A0616..). Yesterday moring I had difficulty shifted from Park to Reverse, and then later that afternoon the car started to idle strangely and the RPm's would drop to below 500. When it did that the D5 light would also dim.

Oh well it is in the shop this morning with 10 others, I should know for sure later today.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:50 PM
Advanced

Well the dealer called me back and said two techs drove the car and could not replicate the problem I discribed. One will take it home tonight and see if it exhibits the symptoms in the morning. I am guessing that they will tell me nothing is wrong with it and I will end up bringing it back to them on a flatbed.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cljw
Well I think I just joined the club. 24,258 miles on a 03TLS late build 13A0616..). Yesterday moring I had difficulty shifted from Park to Reverse, and then later that afternoon the car started to idle strangely and the RPm's would drop to below 500. When it did that the D5 light would also dim.

Oh well it is in the shop this morning with 10 others, I should know for sure later today.
I could be way off in saying this but that really does not sound like the transmission. I cannot explain the difficulty shifting into reverse, but the idling thing and dimming D5 really does not point to a tranny issue.... maybe an alternator or something like that.....

I wish you the best of luck.......Hope for the best. My '03 TL-S had its first tranny failure at 22k miles and the second at 92k+ miles. With both failures, my symptoms were nothing like what you are experiencing. Good luck man....
Old 10-23-2004, 10:38 PM
6th Gear

Me too

I had a 99 TL 4-speed and the tranny went out around 40,000. The dealer put in a new one and it lasted - get this - 24 miles until it bucked and seized. There was a HUGE fluid lead and when I left the dealer it just drained out, overheated and blew.

Not knowing this was an ongoing thing, I bought a 2002 TL-S NAVI 5 speed (love it) and the tranny went out at 35,000. I have over 60,000 now (25000 on the new tranny) and the familiar 3-4 slip shows up when its cold. I am going easy until the recal. Wish me luck

I HAVE written to NHSTA. Same procedure as used by the NSX owners who had the rear tire problems.

The 2% statements by Acura are pure BS. I personally have had 5 trannys in 2 cars over 4 years.

Best Regards,

E.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:18 AM
1st Gear

My 2003 TL-s just lost tranny at 19,500

Not feeling the love right now....

How long does the repair usually take?
Old 10-28-2004, 08:24 PM
2nd Gear

Question

Do these transmition problems occur with the second generation RL or first generation TL??? Or are they strictly second generation TL's???
Old 11-04-2004, 08:16 PM
PROSTREET440

Now On My 3rd Tranny In 100k
Old 11-07-2004, 07:29 AM
1st Gear

Another One Bites The Dust

Well, folks, add another one to the list - '01 TL, 41,422 miles. Based on the recall notice I got, I had taken it to the dealer (Smail Acura in Greensburg, PA) to have it checked out, since 2nd gear was whining. They looked at it and said the transmission definitely needed to be replaced. It would take three or four days for them to get one in, but they said it should be OK to drive in the meantime. Three days later it went - slippage, missed shifts, slamming into whatever gear it wanted. It was undriveable. Sent it to Smail Acura on a flatbed. I must interject here that Smail Acura handled this problem top-notch. They pretty much took care of everything for me. They put me in a Buick LeSabre rental, through Enterprise, for the four days they had my car. Final diagnosis - replaced transmission and front motor mount. So far, so good. I certainly don't have confidence that this will ultimately fix the problem, though, based on everyone's posts here. We'll see...
Old 11-07-2004, 07:42 PM
5th Gear

Are we going to court with this Transmission Problem if we stick our head together?

Attorney - are you out there? It's going to be a big one for you if you get this one rolling.

Don't you guys/gals agree?

Andrew

=================
Acura 2000TL
Old 11-08-2004, 09:43 AM
9th Gear

The NHTSA shows the investigation into the issue 'closed' with only 35 complaints. Please enter your complaint at: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Make : ACURA; Model : 3.2TL;
NHTSA Action Number : PE02081
Date Investigation Opened: October 28, 2002
Date Investigation Closed: March 5, 2003

http://152.122.48.12/prepos/files/Ar...2081-15340.pdf

http://152.122.48.12/prepos/files/Ar...PE02081-NN.PDF
Old 11-08-2004, 11:13 AM
I love cars!

This morning in about 25mph congested traffic, I let off the gas, and when I went to accelerate, I got a rumble/shudder/shake in the drivetrain. I'm not sure which gear I was in at the time, but not long after that I also felt a couple mild jerks while shifting. My car's @ 96K now, got the oil jet at 92 or so I believe. Is this a major bad sign, or should I wait a bit before taking it in? I want to give it a few more chances before I freak out. This sounds more like a clutch than gear problem, but I don't want to wait too long.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:58 PM
2nd Gear

Transmission went barely a week after my 30,000 mile service

I did not know about the recall until I took my 2003 TL-S in for the 30,000 mile service a little over a week ago. They told me they would look at the transmission, take a digital picture, and replace it if there was some discoloration as part of a recall. They did this, saw no problems, installed an oil jet kit, and sent me on my way. Last Thursday, barely a week later, the transmission went out on my way home from work. It was very strange. I put it into reverse to pull out of my parking spot. When I put it into drive, the transmission slipped and it behaved just like it was in N. I had to take it out of D5 then back in. It has never done this before. On the way home, the shifting was weird and rough, then suddenly locked up then started slipping. It was as if I was slamming on breaks then accelerating then slamming on brakes. The transmission was engaging then slipping, seemed to be in the 2-3 gear area. The manual shift mode did not help. I managed to limp home, eventually the check engine light came on and the VSA OFF light as well. I had it towed to Acura the next day, they have since "condemned" the transmission after looking at the error codes. The tow truck guy told me he had personally towed 20 - 30 TL's with the same problem!!! Wow, I hope the problem isn't that widespread! The service guy claims they have only replaced 4 out of over a 1000 TL's examined since the recall.

Some more info, I have always suspected something with the transmission (I bought the car new). I have numerous complaints on record with Acura where I would be driving along at 50 mph, minding my own business, when suddenly it would feel like I actually hit the brakes (and would observe the rev's dropping way down before recovering). It would always happen at the same time, approximately 10 minutes after starting the car from cold, and only in about 1 in 10 trips. So of course it never did it for the service guys. They replaced an EGR valve the first time, and then later told me it was normal behaviour where the torque convertor was locking up when it reached a certain temperature. Certainly didn't feel normal to me, and it that is normal then I don't want this "luxury" car!

Anyway, we'll see how things progress once the car is repaired. They said they're putting in a refurbished transmission...
Old 11-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Instructor

I have numerous complaints on record with Acura where I would be driving along at 50 mph, minding my own business, when suddenly it would feel like I actually hit the brakes (and would observe the rev's dropping way down before recovering). It would always happen at the same time, approximately 10 minutes after starting the car from cold, and only in about 1 in 10 trips.

I had my transmission replaced once already and I have a similar problem as you. I take the same way to work every day and the same speed as usual...I can mark the spot on the road every day where it feels like the car will drop into neutral and then back into gear. It's the same exact spot. It's only about 1/2 mile from my house at 35mph. the car is running along like its on rails and then all of a sudden it does a little studder, I just tap the gas and it doesn't do it again the rest of the way to work. 2nd gear however usually feels like it slips a little if you're on the gas hard. I've given up calling acura and have decided to live with it until it fails completely or I sell the car.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:50 PM
7th Gear

I'm on my fourth transmission. I'm supposed to work a deal out with my dealer to take my vehicle off my hands with no out of pocket expense. My vehicle is leased, with one year left in contract. Has anyone considered this as an option?
Old 11-08-2004, 09:00 PM
I love cars!

Isn't this where the lemon law comes in? After the 3rd tranny, shouldn't they have replaced the car?
Old 11-09-2004, 08:50 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by crombie1000
The car is running along like its on rails and then all of a sudden it does a little studder.
I purchased my 02 as a used vehicle. I have the same or similiar studder in 3rd gear. It generally happens while going up a hill or slight incline. The car just starts buck, not violently, but vey annoying. When I mentioned this to the Acura dealership, they said is was the converter locking and then disengaging (why would it keep engaging and repeatedly disengaging). I don't think this is normal or everyone would be complaining. Because they feel it is normal, they will not do anything. I don't understand why they have not designed a more bullet proof transmission. They have had a few years to re-engineer the transmission to resolve all problems. This is my first 'jap' car and it will be my last. I'll stay with the General on my next car.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:47 PM
PROSTREET440

Shudder Is Not Normal

In Responce To Your Shudder In 3rd Gear It Is Not Normal And That Is How My Last Ranny Died .
Not Know If You Saw My Other Post But I Wrecked My Tl 3 Hrs After I Picked It Up From The 3rd Tranny Replacement So I Still Cant Drive It . Some Moron Pulled Out In Front Of Me And I Pasted Him Broadside . Waiting For He Insurance Company Now As The Car Is Not Driveable Again .
Go To The Dealer And Make Them Replace The Tranny Before It Leaves You 100 Miles From Home Like Mine Did
Old 11-09-2004, 03:19 PM
9th Gear

Transmission Replacement

Went to the dealer today and he said they will have to replace the tranny. Mine is 2001 tl with 35500 miles on it. They said they are going to replace the tranny and when i asked them if it was a new one they said all the parts in it were new. What does that mean?? I do not know much about car transmissions. Can we ask them for a brand new transmission??
Old 11-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Instructor

The tow truck guy told me he had personally towed 20 - 30 TL's with the same problem!!! Wow, I hope the problem isn't that widespread! The service guy claims they have only replaced 4 out of over a 1000 TL's examined since the recall.

Check some of these threads and join the club, the trannies are trash.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Instructor

[They said they are going to replace the tranny and when i asked them if it was a new one they said all the parts in it were new. What does that mean?? Can we ask them for a brand new transmission??[/QUOTE]
It is rebuilt
Old 11-09-2004, 07:12 PM
2nd Gear

what about RL's???

Do RL's have the tranny problems also??? do older TL's have shitty trannys too???

Quick Reply: How many with tranny problems; Transmission Recall