Old 08-19-2004, 11:35 AM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
kbb.com, edmunds.com, etc.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:34 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scottosan
Unless you have gotten a new tranny recently(last couple months), then you probably didn't get an updated tranny with the addition oil jet modification
I did get the addition of the oil jet modifcation on the last tranny and it still broke. I will see how this third one will work, but I am not to optimistic
Old 08-20-2004, 03:42 PM
3rd Gear

Is this also a problem with the 3.2 TL Type S???
Old 08-21-2004, 12:33 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by deereal
Is this also a problem with the 3.2 TL Type S???
With MOST if not ALL TL
Old 08-22-2004, 03:17 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Allright,

I was trying to be optimisitic, but now I am pissed!!!!

We have a 02 Premium, and I thought I was safe, apparently not.

Original tranny was replaced at 35881 miles. Whining, slipping in the 2nd-3rd shift. I was very happy with the new one....................until Friday.

Wife coming back from work with son in the car, calls me on the cell, says the drive light was blinking, Check Engine and TCS light had popped on. Within 2 miles, the trans blew, car would not move in forward at all. Flatbed to the dealer Saturday am, now awaiting a new tranny.

This car is gone as soon as I get it back. Acura should be ashamed of themselves for this crap! The milege when it blew was 39866. Hmmm....approx 4000 miles (almost to the mile). This time the car drove perfectly until it blew. Wife does not trust the car or the tranny anymore.

Read my other post on this board and I thought it was fine. Now I know.............

And, my new tranny was supposed to the "improved" one. Replacement date was 6/22/04.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:32 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Are 04's affected as well?

This may have been addressed earlier but are the 04 TLs affected as well? I replaced 2 trannys in my 2001 TL and am ditching it. I'm looking at an 04.

Am I a glutton for punishment?

Thanks,

- Bill
Old 08-24-2004, 02:21 PM
I love cars!

Some early '04s are affected, but not all of them. By the time you purchase, I imagine the fix will be applied to all the '04s in inventory, and there has been a running change to the transmission that alledgedly prevents the overheating 2nd gear problem. I haven't decided on stick vs. auto for my upcming TL purchase, but at least it's an option.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:03 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add me on to the POS tranny list for my 99 TL with 92K miles.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Instructor

I am close to 61K Km which is about 38K miles, TLP, 2002 model, bought in August 2001. They installed oil jet 1500Km ago and changed transmission fluid, transmission was just fine according to dealer. I noticed slightly rougher shifting right after that. Now, transmission slips, occasionally though, but it is quite noticeable when it does (going from 2nd to 3rd of course i.e. it is having difficulty going into the 3rd, remember 3rd gear clutch pack is what the real problem is). I shall be visiting the dealer soon of course.
I am fully convinced now that every single transmission is going to fail and I do think it is a pure BS when they say “this many or that many are affected only”, no, judging by this web site and judging by some other people with other Honda products, this is 100% occurrence. The only question is when, at how many miles/Km.
This may be a huge problem for Honda. Is Honda going to survive this? As the time goes by more and more people get affected. They are fully aware of the problem but apparently they cannot do anything to fix it for some reason (the problem exists for so many years now). The same problem affects even the new generation of cars. My guess is that in order for this to be fixed, most likely the major engine/transmission change needs to happen, in other words, there is a huge cost involved. Because engine and transmission are essentially the same in the new generation of cars, no wonder that they fail.
At the same time the rest of the car looks rock solid. Warped rotors are the other big issue but not the one anybody should worry about because it is easily fixable.
I still have plenty of warranty left so I am going to give Honda another year. Lets hope for the best.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:25 AM
Racer

Well...add me to the blown tranny list. Mine went at 31400 miles. I was on highway and car started to shutter a bit in between shifts, then revs shot up look down and d5 is blinking, vsa light is on, abs light is on, check engine light on etc. Not a complete shock, but i was hoping to avoid it as I had no problems until a week ago when it started to slip. I got an MDX with Navi as a loaner though until they get it fixed so im happy.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:55 AM
El Matador

after reading all this, is pretty hard to be optimistic. I just bought a TL, KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED and Just enjoying the ride. Sorry to hear all this though
Old 08-26-2004, 10:44 AM
O.G.

Originally Posted by mikegunnz
I got an MDX with Navi as a loaner though until they get it fixed so im happy.
How the hell did you pull this off? I got a freaking 04 explorer.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:06 AM
Instructor

My car was in the dealership yesterday for transmission problems. As I expected they checked it and test-drove it and everything is ok according to them. Then I went there and had a test drive myself with the mechanic. The guy said to me that mine is in the very early stage (you can notice that car jerks when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd) and that Honda would not authorize the change yet. Also, I have to admit, that car is now not as bad as two days ago, may be they did something to it even though they claim they just checked it and did not do anything.
This morning I drove on the HW, I was going about 110Km/h and at one moment, transmission ceased, tires chirped and it lasted may be a 2 seconds. Now, I do not feel safe at all driving this car, especially on the HW. Transmission still jolts, especially when it goes from 2nd to 3rd. It does go, it does slip less then two days ago, but it is definitely not ok.
Anybody else here in Toronto area with similar experience, trying to convince the dealer and Honda?
I am going to try to talk with Honda customer relations even though I do not think that is going to change anything. Will keep you posted.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:32 PM
Instructor

On Friday, going back home from work I had the same frightening experience with my transmission, on the HW it locked wheels again for a brief moment, also, whenever I moved from the stop, it jolted. As soon as I got home, I called Acura customer relations and spoke for about a good hour with their representative. The guy was very patient, he tried to explain in detail every question I had, anyway, something you can expect from the reputable company that intends to keep their customers. He tried to explain that automatic transmission is like a big hydraulic pump and tried to explain to me what the real problem is.
According to what he said, apart from the second gear clutch pack, the main problem is torque converter not engineered to the exact specification. And they were getting these in batches; so again, according to him not every car is affected even though it is significant number. Now they have this under control pretty much even though they cannot guarantee it will not happen again because for them it is impossible to now which one is bad until it fails and it would be too costly to replace all of them, good and bad. They changed the specification for the converter and are installing those into transmissions with a failed one. That means that they would not put a new converter in a transmission with already good one. So again, if they get a failed transmission and discover that converter in it is still OK, they would not replace it; those transmissions can fail again if converter itself goes bad.
The very next day, on Saturday, I went to Acura 2K in Brampton and they took a car (gave me a rental, Toyota Corolla) and they should replace my trans some time this week.
So, what is your opinion on this, does this story about bad converter make sense to you? I spoke to the dealer and they just confirmed to me when I said to them that every single one is failing, it is just a matter of time and mileage, i.e. when.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:16 AM
Drifting

shit when my tranny blew last tuesday it was like some slammed the brakes through the floor board. If it would have been raining & know i would have lost control & gone into a spin. This happened with no prior warning. It was some scary shit. Can't believe it 28k & i'm dealing with this kind of shit. I've driven acura's for the last 15 years straight, but without question this will now change. I feel acura is just patching the problem & not resolving it. They need a completley newley engineered tranny developed now, & this current transmission scrapped from this earth forever. i often wonder if the rocket scientists that developed this transmission are employed?
Old 09-02-2004, 12:51 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What percentage of tranny failures in 2nd Gen cars?

After owning several Acuras/Hondas that were trouble free, I now own this 2nd generation elegant automobile that drives like a dream with 26K miles.but has a defective tranny. I have started experiencing rough shifting and some slipping. The car has been back to the dealership 3 times and they treat it like a big joke. I suppose they want the entire tranny to fall out before replacing anything. I am sure the replacement tranny would be as bad the one in the car now. The plain truth is there is no fix for this disaster.
Acura has built automobiles with a defective major component for the past 4 years. This hocus pocus recall does nothing and soon as we are out of the warranty, all of us are screwed.
An effort should be made to determine of the percentage autos that have tranny failure and use our numbers to approach acura for compensation or repair of the defects(with legal help). All of us must be the nicest guys in the world letting Acura get with this problem and leave us to suffer the consequences. Does anyone have accurate figures that demonstrate the percentage of tranny failures..?
Old 09-02-2004, 01:05 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jazzpicker
After owning several Acuras/Hondas that were trouble free, I now own this 2nd generation elegant automobile that drives like a dream with 26K miles.but has a defective tranny. I have started experiencing rough shifting and some slipping. The car has been back to the dealership 3 times and they treat it like a big joke. I suppose they want the entire tranny to fall out before replacing anything. I am sure the replacement tranny would be as bad the one in the car now. The plain truth is there is no fix for this disaster.
Acura has built automobiles with a defective major component for the past 4 years. This hocus pocus recall does nothing and soon as we are out of the warranty, all of us are screwed.
An effort should be made to determine of the percentage autos that have tranny failure and use our numbers to approach acura for compensation or repair of the defects(with legal help). All of us must be the nicest guys in the world letting Acura get with this problem and leave us to suffer the consequences. Does anyone have accurate figures that demonstrate the percentage of tranny failures..?
i'm with ya jazzpicker, wish i had some numbers.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Banned

Add me to it,

I got in an accident because of it.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:05 PM
Speaker City Rocks

Mine got "condemned" today. Leta in STL is ordering it and they should have it Wednesday.
They seemed pretty helpful although they told me Monday, when I scheduled the appointment that they would give me a loaner car. They told me today that, I guess, It was not condemned enough to pose a threat to my safety, thus no loaner.... and now that I see that when it does go out an accident can happen I realize I should have left it with them and insisted on a loaner. My car has 59K now. It might be for sale soon...
Old 09-03-2004, 07:18 PM
Speaker City Rocks

Originally Posted by fast-tl
"Letting it go"? That price doens't sound like a huge bargain; check the usual pricing sources! The costs I've seen quoted for tranny replacement have vaired from 1800 to 3500.

That seems pretty good to me. That car is nicer than an accord...
Old 09-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by firepepper
Mine got "condemned" today. Leta in STL is ordering it and they should have it Wednesday.
They seemed pretty helpful although they told me Monday, when I scheduled the appointment that they would give me a loaner car. They told me today that, I guess, It was not condemned enough to pose a threat to my safety, thus no loaner.... and now that I see that when it does go out an accident can happen I realize I should have left it with them and insisted on a loaner. My car has 59K now. It might be for sale soon...
what the hell are they talking about, all these tranny are a potential accident waiting to happen. mine locked up going over a bridge in seattle, with absolutley no prior warning of tranny probs. If it would have been raining, i think i would have gone into a spin. It was bad enough where the guy behind me damn near rear-ended me. It was as if i slammed on the brakes, except my brake lights did not come on.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:11 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
We are getting new Trannies!!!!!!!!!

Lacs21 had he trannie go and when he brought it to the dealership, instead of putting in another "temp fix trannie" the dealer said I will put in one of the newly designed trannies I have recieved (a bunch arrived for the recall of the MDX, Pilot,..... and then they will be used on the TL and CL when their recall gets announced). He said to the guy that he " WILL NOT qualify for the reacll when it DOES get announced " , because he is getting the newly designed one now!! yes!!

The dealer just didn't want to put in another defective trannie and end up takin' it out in a month or two to put in one of the ones in his warehouse! YES YES YES , read his post on this he says the new trannie feels " bullet proof " !! Whoooo Hooooo!!
Any idea of when the new, new recall is coming out. I am now going on my 4th tranny and my last one was only in May 2004. Iam nearing the 70K mark and love the carr except for the tranny issue. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:32 AM
I love cars!

What IS the new, new recall? I thought there was only the oil jet/replace campaign goin' on?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:50 AM
Instructor

no troubles with my cl untill i took it in for the recall. replaced trans fluid, and added oiler kit. service guy says trans was good. well it started cutting up on the way home, and now it has to be towed back to dealer. same ole same ole, shifting crazy- it will shift from 5 to 1 or 2 at 50/60 mph. that is ugly.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:34 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fast-tl
What IS the new, new recall? I thought there was only the oil jet/replace campaign goin' on?
Yeah, what are you talking about?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Just in for my second trans at 99K, first one at 70K....started shifting hard into third
Old 09-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Instructor

my tl going to rehab on a rollback. service guy says they will install a new trans, and that his shop is doing 10/12 a week. where were these trannies made? something smells..
Old 09-07-2004, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

My 2000 TL with 48K started acting up with rough transmission/gear changes about a month ago. It feels as though it misses to engage around 2nd and 3rd. The gas mileage has slipped by 10% or so.

I just bought this car last Oct from the original owner. Would I be covered under this extended warranty deal? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:27 AM
Instructor

If your car has less than 100K on it, Acura should cover it. None of my trans completely went, they just stopped shifting like a luxury car and started shifting like the brand new 04 Dodge Intrepid POS loaner I have now . They would act up occasionally, gas mileage slipped by 5 mpg (which I didnt relate until the above post) and shifted abruptly, and all trans would hunt for gears on the 2-3 shift in both directions. Some people didn't even notice it, but both I and Acura felt it was bad enough to completly fail in the future and were replaced after a days worth of test driving by the dealers. I do all highway driving (45K a year in my TL-S) and my problems would only be present after long rides and then a short stop (running into the store, shutting car off for a few minutes) and then they would get BAD!!! It goes along with the cooling issues I have read about in these forums. TAKE YOUR CAR IN FOR A TRANS!!!!!
Old 09-08-2004, 12:23 PM
8th Gear

Honda CRV Fires

Can't this company do naything right? And why can't they justdo right by their customers? At this rate, no one will want to buy a honda or
acura. Word does get out....
Old 09-08-2004, 12:35 PM
SCMPredator

how long does it take to install the oil jet kit? I want to bring in my TL for a tranny check?
Old 09-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Instructor

I can't knock Honda, they build an excellent product which they stand behind. I have not once been inconveinienced by my trans failures, other than a quick trip to the dealer. I like the fact that Honda has come out and extended warranties. If we had Fords, theyd cut the mileage for warranty back 10K and 1 year. .... I have had free loaners, as would be expected, and great service (Except from Acura of Ocean, NJ, what a bunch of d-bags )
Old 09-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Instructor

oil jet kit, 2 1/2 hrs.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by moat
I can't knock Honda, they build an excellent product which they stand behind. I have not once been inconveinienced by my trans failures, other than a quick trip to the dealer. I like the fact that Honda has come out and extended warranties. If we had Fords, theyd cut the mileage for warranty back 10K and 1 year. .... I have had free loaners, as would be expected, and great service (Except from Acura of Ocean, NJ, what a bunch of d-bags )
I can knock Honda. Any company that has let a major problem continue for 4 years is just plain wrong. You have not been inconvienced by tranny failures, maybe you should read the many posts of the many other people that have been severely inconvienced.
You mention your tranny failures (plural??, excellent product??) Tranny failures and excellent product don't go together.
Despite the free loaners and extended warranty , you paid good money for a defective product as I did.
Honda needs to do the right thing and provide a fix for their major screw up. I don't want loaners, warranty extensions or other bullshit, I want what I paid for, a well designed non defective automobile.
By the way, I owned Ford pick ups for many years and hauled big boats all over florida and never had one tranny failure. Don't get me wrong, I am not a ford fan..
Hope you signed the tranny petition.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:45 AM
Instructor

Good points... I havent forgotten the 30K i paid for my TL, but I think I would be better understood if I said "I cant knock Honda's warranty procedure". I too agree they need to fix this problem, and come clean about the cause. I think my view of honda is biased due to the years of faithful service i've gotten from my accords and civics, as it should be. I never spent a dime maintaining any of those cars, but its no excuse for 4 years of bad components, even if compared to other car co.'s....

Moat
Old 09-11-2004, 11:19 AM
Instructor

got my new tranny and programmer, and it did last the 100 miles home. the question i have is where was this transmission conceived. my experience with this condition points to the component that determines the shifts. there seems to be several faults with the whole system. honda has handled the situation well for me, but consumers will correct this problem themselves. honda may be left with a 5 speed and 100's of explanations.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:10 PM
3rd Gear

I just got mine back form the dealer 10k ago and am having the same prob!!!!!!! going to take it back next week and see.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:44 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jazzpicker
I can knock Honda. Any company that has let a major problem continue for 4 years is just plain wrong. You have not been inconvienced by tranny failures, maybe you should read the many posts of the many other people that have been severely inconvienced.
You mention your tranny failures (plural??, excellent product??) Tranny failures and excellent product don't go together.
Despite the free loaners and extended warranty , you paid good money for a defective product as I did.
Honda needs to do the right thing and provide a fix for their major screw up. I don't want loaners, warranty extensions or other bullshit, I want what I paid for, a well designed non defective automobile.
By the way, I owned Ford pick ups for many years and hauled big boats all over florida and never had one tranny failure. Don't get me wrong, I am not a ford fan..
Hope you signed the tranny petition.

I'm with you! I have had this car for about 6 months and had bought it from the owner of acura of portland for $14000.00 no other problems but now that I have it all I hear is how the trany fails and you have to have it replaced now I am going in for my 2nd time and if it is not fixed yet than I am going to sell...... I don't think that I will stray from this production line but I have lost faith.....................................
Old 09-13-2004, 04:52 AM
10th Gear

i had tranny probs with my 2002...got it replaced spring break of this year. got the recall oil injector thing just the other day. dealership did it with no charge. so hope it works!

Quick Reply: How many with tranny problems; Transmission Recall