How many with tranny problems; Transmission Recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 11:44 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I filed my complaint. I swear the third tranny is acting hinky. Also I have to have the rotors replaced. After resading the bulletins on the complaint filing page I realize that the shimmy I keep trying to repair is part of the lemon legacy of this car. Oh yes, it'salso had four cd player and the trim is falling off the bak passenger side of my luxury lemon. Every month there is something that must be repaired. Now one of my headlights is burned out for the second time and it's going to cost 160.00 to replace.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:59 AM
2nd Gear

Gravitysfoe
how old is your car and how many miles?
Old 07-21-2004, 02:01 PM
8th Gear

how old?

It's a 2002 and it has almost 92,000 miles on it. The engine runs great. It's the rest of the car that is a problem. The trim is popped off on the passenger rear side, the driver's side seat is splitting and is not leather in that spot. I've had 4 CD players and cannot play homemeade CDs in the car or the player will jam. And the front rotors are warped even though I've always taken care of the maintenance as sheduled.

Now the voltage inverter is out and it will cost $1000.00 to replace. Yes, fellow Acura owners, $1000.00 for a headlight. This is the second one I've had. The first one went when a deer sideswiped me at 25,000 miles. Of course the part is out of warranty and available only to dealers. And of course the tech at the dealership said he couldn't understand why one would fail. Even if it were only the bulb, the parts and labor would be $170.00.

This car is my only asset after a bitter divorce and it's leased and over miles by almost 60,000. I'm stuck because I have to but it at the end of the lease or owe thousands to turn it in and I don't have th money to pay. I keep wishing drunk would hit it or a tree would fall on it with me not init so it could be totaled. I feel ripped off. I wouldn't mind buying it after the lease if all these things had not gone wrong. I have freinds with 90s era Acuras that have 200,000 + miles on them and no problems.

I think all of us who were ripped off should form a class action suit. Any lawyers out there so inclined?
Old 07-21-2004, 02:32 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When my car was hit a few months ago I paid about $580 for the HID bulb, ignitor and all the parts necessary to rebuild the right headlight. Not $1000 at all. They need to give you a cost breakdown 'cause you're not explaining it very clearly. That should be a prerequisite to spending that muych money!
Old 07-21-2004, 02:34 PM
I love cars!

Also, I don't think it's accurate to call a "leased" vehicle an asset, since ownership actually is with the leasing co. Either you had a bad attorney or a worse leasing agent!
Old 07-21-2004, 05:41 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Hey all, just got a 2k2 TL-S, found out that the car has had a tranny replaced circa 20K, which equate to around a year ago. The provious owner described the exact symtom here. I found out through Owner Link that the current recall applies to this car so I'm getting it checked out tomorrow among doing other things.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:27 AM
10th Gear

I contacted the dealer after my tranny was replaced (7/04) and asked them what tranny they put in. He told me the old one wasn't even available to them any more and the new ones were redesigned. I sure hope so!
Old 07-22-2004, 10:12 PM
1st Gear

Tranny replaced on a 02 TL-S with 41k. Installed redesigned tranny (got letter from dealer) and new control module. So far so good . . . knock on fake wood!
Old 07-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gravitysfoe
I think all of us who were ripped off should form a class action suit. Any lawyers out there so inclined?
gravitysfoe,

check this thread about a possible class action suit against acura.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...t=class+action
Old 07-26-2004, 09:29 PM
8th Gear

Just reported my Tranny failure. Scary, front wheel lock at 65 in heavy traffic. VERY fortunate. Just went on line NTHSA and filed the complaint. 2003 TL Type-S, 38K miles. Dealer said the 2003's were not inflicted. Guess mine was a fluke like another 100 thousand or so. Dumping this one, hello German made!
Old 07-26-2004, 10:27 PM
I love cars!

stoney,
Just go to acura.com and the ownerlink section to see if your specific car is affected. Your dealer's full of it.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast-tl
stoney,
Just go to acura.com and the ownerlink section to see if your specific car is affected. Your dealer's full of it.

Do you have to wait to get the letter from Acura or can you just print it from the owner's link and bring it to the dealer. I have an 03 tls with 43k no problems so far knock on wood.?
Old 07-27-2004, 12:22 PM
I love cars!

The dealer can look it up while you're there, but I'd take the printout from owner link and/or insist that they check yor specific VIN then and there.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:43 PM
mbc
5th Gear

Location: Cowtown AB - Cars: 02 TL Type S & 03 Benz 2 door hard top - Latest thrill: 6.8l/100km DAMN
After my first few thousand miles I took it to the dealer twice to complain, then 20000 miles when it became an evident problem it was replaced. Will it need to be replaced again whoe knows????
Old 07-27-2004, 06:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by stoney
Just reported my Tranny failure. Scary, front wheel lock at 65 in heavy traffic. VERY fortunate. Just went on line NTHSA and filed the complaint. 2003 TL Type-S, 38K miles. Dealer said the 2003's were not inflicted. Guess mine was a fluke like another 100 thousand or so. Dumping this one, hello German made!
Stoney - I have a 2003 TL-S and at 18,434 miles, my tranny died, so your dealer is uninformed. Also, the 2003's are part of the voluntary recall Acura just issued.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
My '00 TL with 79K miles just started shuddering once/twice a week in 3rd gear. Time for a new tranny.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:13 PM
8th Gear

Got my 2003 TL Type-S back again last night from the dealer. Rember, Tranny popped 21 July at hwy speeds - scary. Had it picked up on a flatbed again 25 July for my driveway with a "reman" unit that just got replaced. Shifted hard right from the dealer lot the first time, thought I was in a Chevy or something domestic. After 20 miles it stayed in second gear. After re-visit to dealer,and another tow job, he said rubber on connector stopped good contact and signals to computer. Car does run good again, but for how long? Filed orginal complaint with NHTSB. Think they are overrun with Honda owners.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:16 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Severin
My '00 TL with 79K miles just started shuddering once/twice a week in 3rd gear. Time for a new tranny.
Call the dealer and tell him to have one on the shelf. Mine gave a hard jolt exactly one week before the grand finally. Best wishes.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:51 PM
2nd Gear

I would suggest to all of you that are having troubles with your trannies to put in an additive called
"Lucas" transmission additive. This has improved my rough shifting problem dramatically.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:55 PM
2nd Gear

You are probably driving your car too damn hard. I have a 97 Acura CL with 290,000 miles and the trannie has shifted rough since 100,000. I added the Lucas transmission additive and the tranny is almost as good as new. It is a cheap fix, so really you have nothing to lose. You can pick up a bottle of this stuff at any Advance Auto Parts store.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:21 AM
7th Gear

Dammit , 2nd tranny just went , with less than 2000 miles on it, first one went at like 43,000 . Started going from a stop isgn , tranny shuddered , d5 light started flashing along with check engine light and the vsa light. Now car is slow as crap , doesent even seem to accelarate period. The new american made tls are fucking jalopies.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:10 PM
3rd Gear

NEWBIE question

I am glad I found this forum before I bought a used 2000 Acura 3.2 TL.
If I do buy a 2000 with 60,000 miles from a private sale, can I still get the transmission fixed for free if there is no warranty?

Thanks in advance, GREAT forum!
Old 08-04-2004, 09:11 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by deereal
I am glad I found this forum before I bought a used 2000 Acura 3.2 TL.
If I do buy a 2000 with 60,000 miles from a private sale, can I still get the transmission fixed for free if there is no warranty?

Thanks in advance, GREAT forum!
Yes, you would still be covered under the 100k mile tranny warranty. What kind of price are you looking at for a 2000 TL w/ 60k if you don't mind me asking. I have the same car, 2000TL, 60k, navi.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:52 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

Hey, can i just call a dealer and tell them i want my tranny swapped as stated in the recall or do i have to wait for it to fail!? i go to school full time and work part time during the school semesters so it would be easy to get this all done be4 school starts. whats a very good dealer in the NY/NJ area!!?
Old 08-05-2004, 01:45 PM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by tpatel
Hey, can i just call a dealer and tell them i want my tranny swapped as stated in the recall or do i have to wait for it to fail!? i go to school full time and work part time during the school semesters so it would be easy to get this all done be4 school starts. whats a very good dealer in the NY/NJ area!!?
Well, the recall doesn't state that you can simply request a new transmission. You should take it to the dealer and they'll do an inspection. If they find damage or potential damage they will replace the transmission. If no damage is found they will install the oil jet kit.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:44 PM
Life goes on.

Originally Posted by fast-tl
Well, the recall doesn't state that you can simply request a new transmission. You should take it to the dealer and they'll do an inspection. If they find damage or potential damage they will replace the transmission. If no damage is found they will install the oil jet kit.
Thats true. You cannot just simply request a new transmission. The dealer has to inspect your current transmission first. When I took my 2003 TL-S to the dealer. They did an inspection and found that the transmission was damaged. They installed a refurbished re-designed transmission and the oil jet. It took them a week. In the meantime they put me in an enterprise rental.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:29 AM
1st Gear

Nobody told me before I bought it

Purchased a 2001 3.2tl at 43k miles for $22k. At 51K, noticed jerking and called dealer. Service writer told me "they had some problems with the transmissions on the 2001, you'll probably need a new one." Next morning, he called back and said, "It's all fixed", you just needed a transmission flush. As I drove it back to work, I noticed it still jerked, and called from my car. Service writer told me to drive it for a day or so, as the fluid had to finish "cleaning it out". FOUR hours later, in HEAVY traffic on a 55mph road, I pulled onto a service road, as I was getting scared. It then stopped altogether, and the drive light started blinking. Thank GOD I pulled off the freeway. One week later, I had a "new" transmission. 3k miles later, I'm noticing it's jerking again.........Now I see trade in value is $13k. So I'm out $9,000 in 6 months if I trade it for a reliable car! Any suggestions?
Old 08-11-2004, 01:50 AM
Pro

Hmmm seeing how everyone had similar situations with 2nd and 3rd gear giving, has anyone had any problems with going from reverse to drive? This is what is happeining to me: reverse to drive... 1-1000, 2-2000, 3-3000, click go... reallly weird stuff. I don't really have a problem in terms of driving in SS mode or 2nd or 3rd gear. Normal or abnormal? Anyone else with the same symptoms?
Old 08-11-2004, 10:32 AM
I love cars!

Originally Posted by PDX3.2TL
Hmmm seeing how everyone had similar situations with 2nd and 3rd gear giving, has anyone had any problems with going from reverse to drive? This is what is happeining to me: reverse to drive... 1-1000, 2-2000, 3-3000, click go... reallly weird stuff. I don't really have a problem in terms of driving in SS mode or 2nd or 3rd gear. Normal or abnormal? Anyone else with the same symptoms?

I have the same problem with my 2000! I've heard from others who say it's normal (hmmmm....) but I'm disinclined to believe it. My Expedition doesn't do it, the TSX doesn't do it. Any thoughts, folks? My AcuraCare is nearing expiration, so I need to act quickly. Dealer doesn't appear to think this is a defect.

Let's get more feedback on this annoyance.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Do some research instead of believing everything you read on a forum

I can't believe i read this whole thread. First, go register you car at http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com . This will let you check the status of any recalls on your car. The recall doesn't involve replacing trannys that haven't yet experienced any damage. The do install an oil jet kit, even if you tranny is fine to avoid future potential damage to you car.

see explanation below:

April 26, 2004

Recall Campaign: Automatic Transmission Second Gear Inspection

Dear Acura Owner:

Your vehicle is affected by the automatic transmission recall that was recently announced.

What is the problem?
Certain operating conditions can result in heat build-up between the second gears of the transmission's countershaft and secondary shaft. Prolonged operation under these conditions can eventually result in a decrease in the gear's material strength. In higher mileage vehicles, this may lead to chipped or broken gear teeth or, in rare instances, gear failure.

What are "certain operating conditions"?
Extended cruising in top gear with a high engine load but small throttle opening can result in limited oil flow to second gear, causing localized heat build-up. These conditions should be rare. Examples may include extended towing in top gear on a very flat road with a throttle opening of 1/4 or less; or frequent driving up a road with a very consistent slope of approximately 3.5~6%, again maintaining a throttle opening around 1/4 or less.

Under most circumstances, small road undulations or throttle corrections cause the vehicle to go in and out of torque converter lock-up, varying engine rpm, and therefore increasing oil flow to the gears. Increased oil flow dissipates heat and prevents second gear damage.

What should I do now? Can I continue to drive?
Occurrences of lock-up due to gear breakage are very rare, especially at low mileage. There are no confirmed failures in U.S. vehicles with mileage less than 60,000 miles. Acura will notify customers to visit their dealership according to vehicle age, allowing us to efficiently schedule parts and repairs. Please contact your dealer when you receive your notice, or sooner if you notice any abnormal noises from your transmission.

How and when will Acura begin to notify owners?
Mailings began in early May and will continue until September or until all customers have been notified. We recommend that customers wait until they are notified before trying to schedule an appointment. This will allow us to carry out the most efficient, effective and timely campaign.

What is the dealer looking for when inspecting the transmission?
Vehicles with less than 15,000 miles - The technician will update the transmission with a simple modification to the oil cooler return line to increase lubrication to second gear.

Vehicles with more than 15,000 miles - The technician will inspect the second gear for discoloration of the gear due to heat damage. If there is any evidence of heat damage, the transmission will be replaced. If discoloration is not present, the dealer will perform the modification to the oil cooler return line.

What is this "simple modification to the oil cooler return line"?
It is a relatively simple repair involving the installation of an "oil jet kit" that is mounted on the top of the transmission. The modification works by taking a portion of the transmission fluid that is flowing back from the cooling system and spraying that fluid directly onto the affected gear, eliminating the potential for heat damage.

How can I be sure I won't have problems with this repair in later years, after the warranty period has expired?
For vehicles affected by this campaign, installation of the oil kit provides a permanent repair.

Should my vehicle be towed to the dealership?
If you experience transmission noise or transmission lock-up, the vehicle should be towed to the dealership. If not, it can be driven to the dealership when the appointment is scheduled.

Is there a way for me or my independent repair facility to diagnose this problem?
No, your vehicle must be taken to an authorized Acura dealership for a thorough inspection and accurate repair.

Why is the dealer repair different from the manufacturing repair?
The manufacturing change was relatively easy to accomplish during transmission production, but to apply the same repair at the dealership would require transmission removal and disassembly. Installation of the oil kit is a permanent repair that is easily accomplished at the dealership.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:53 PM
10th Gear

my first post here, well i have a 2003 TLS going on to 73000 first purchased in june 2002. Runs just like new, but i guess ill take it into the dealer for the inspection.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:29 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

73K? MY GOD MAN!!!! That's OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by eshine1
my first post here, well i have a 2003 TLS going on to 73000 first purchased in june 2002. Runs just like new, but i guess ill take it into the dealer for the inspection.

you having tranny trouble or recall?
Old 08-12-2004, 12:08 PM
3rd Gear

Acura Class action lawsuit

I got a call from the lawyer's office in San Diego and their office is preparing for class action lawsuit regarding transmission problem. They are gathering information from the Acura owners who had transmission problem or had accidents. You can call attorney Matt Nugent at 619 231 8666 or email him at mpn@pkns.com and tell him about your transmission problems.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

just had my second tranny replaced and i should be getting the car back today .
Old 08-12-2004, 06:41 PM
2nd Gear

One More Time

I just took my 2001 Acura TL in for the 8th time with Tranny propblems. It was so bad this time the repair guy could not even make it around the block for a test drive because the Tranny was gone. This will be in my third Tranny in two years. This is the reason I signed up for this web site was to make sure there is a voice for this huge problem. I have 20,000 miles left on the extended warrenty and I know now that these replacement trannies do not work and it will be only time when I will have to take it in again. Please post any progress that is made with Acura and what we can do to get some type of help on this problem. I will also say this I will never buy an Acura again. My wife has a Toyota and we have never had a problem with it over the last 150,000 miles. I will let you know when I get rid of this car and buy a Lexus, it will be wroth the few exta bucks for a few extra hundred thousand miles. Acura
Old 08-13-2004, 04:38 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by VTEC11
you having tranny trouble or recall?
None whatsoever, tranny shifts silky smooth. I'm just taking it in to get it looked at to be on the safe side.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bryanj1
I just took my 2001 Acura TL in for the 8th time with Tranny propblems. It was so bad this time the repair guy could not even make it around the block for a test drive because the Tranny was gone. This will be in my third Tranny in two years. This is the reason I signed up for this web site was to make sure there is a voice for this huge problem. I have 20,000 miles left on the extended warrenty and I know now that these replacement trannies do not work and it will be only time when I will have to take it in again. Please post any progress that is made with Acura and what we can do to get some type of help on this problem. I will also say this I will never buy an Acura again. My wife has a Toyota and we have never had a problem with it over the last 150,000 miles. I will let you know when I get rid of this car and buy a Lexus, it will be wroth the few exta bucks for a few extra hundred thousand miles. Acura
Unless you have gotten a new tranny recently(last couple months), then you probably didn't get an updated tranny with the addition oil jet modification
Old 08-18-2004, 10:08 PM
2nd Gear

What is the cost of the average replacement? I am looking at buying a 99 TL with 103,000 miles on it, and the owner said the tranny is starting to slip. However, he's letting it go for $7500, since it needs a new one.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:41 PM
I love cars!

"Letting it go"? That price doens't sound like a huge bargain; check the usual pricing sources! The costs I've seen quoted for tranny replacement have vaired from 1800 to 3500.

Quick Reply: How many with tranny problems; Transmission Recall