How many with tranny problems; Transmission Recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey folks just got off the line with acura of america and yes o1 mdxs have 5 speed auto matic tranny problems but they do not have sport shift the new ones 04 that is are all good plus honda pilot only comes with bullet proof 4 speed tranny so and plus look at honda of america no recall on tranny yes recall on air bag
Old 06-11-2004, 03:40 PM
6th Gear

Tranny issues

I have '03 TL-S with 34K miles. No tranny problems but that whining noise has increased over time.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:08 PM
5th Gear

good news

Just to let you all know, I posted about the problems with my '03 TL-S with less than 5,000 miles. Since my last post, I have battled the system and won!!!!! If you really love your TL and can put up with multiple tranny replacements and worrying over your safety, then good luck. Otherwise, pursue your legal options because you really do have a chance. My TL was bought back on Friday and I'm moving on to a better car. Hope this post will help out!!!

Soon to be departed derek23!

Old 06-12-2004, 11:55 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by moved on happy joy joy
thats right folks from 4 speed to 5 speed awhhh 5 speed mdx have problems 4 speed pilot no problems just like older tl to the newer tls sad so sad
Moved on Happy Joy Joy,

Go do a search on the NHTSA website and look through their vehicle recalls. Search for 2003 Honda Pilot and select Power Train: Automatic Transmission. In case you can't figure that out, I'll summarize what you'll find - a letter dated April 13, 2004 from Honda Motor Corporation stating that "a safety related problem exists in the transmissions of certain Honda and Acura vehicles listed below." Guess what is in the list... Certain 2003 and 2004 Honda Pilots. And according to what I found, the Pilot (both '03 and '04) has a 5 speed automatic - it may not be tiptronic (didn't look at that), but its a 5-speed, not a 4-speed as you indicate.

There's also a copy of the letter Honda sent to all of its dealers on April 21, 2004, titled "Campaign Anncouncement Updated and Expanded Stop Sale Order." The first section reads "Basic Problem: Certain operating conditions can result in heat buildup between the countershaft and secondary shaft second gears in the automatic transmisison. Lacking sufficient oil flow to dissipate heat, prolonged operation under these conditions can eventually result in decreased material strength. In higher mileage vehicles, this can result in gear tooth chipping, or in very rare cases, gear tooth breakage can occur. In most cases, transmission noise will indicate a problem, however it is possible for the transmission to become locked without warning. A locked transmission could result in a crash."

This sounds Honda is taking this pretty seriously: "STOP-SALE ORDER: All (100% 2002-2003 Odysseys and 2003 Pilots in your unsold vehicle inventory are effected [sic] by this recall. Also affected are some early 2004's: 2004 Odysseys up to and including VIN 5FN... and 2004 Pilots up to and including VIN 2HK..." I don't think they issue stop sale orders

Sounds like your Pilot has some tranny issues as well. :'(
Old 06-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Cruisin'

Well at least I feel relieved. Driving to work this morning and i start jerking. I took it off tiptronic and I think it just got worse. Right at the typical gear-change speed, it would jerk. Especially between 2nd and 3rd I would feel it disengage, and almost go into neutral, then putt and putter. I feel like I was driving an Acura Cavalier. I took it to the dealership for that 2000-2001 recal but they said it was fine...can't wait til tomorrow.......
Old 06-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Hey Moved on, stop cluttering this post with your crapp. The tranny computer caused the problem??? The problem which is known already is a defective clutch pack. Dont make up info when you dont know it.

You obviously dont know what you are talking about in any aspect. The Pilot DOES have a 5 speed tranny. And the Pilot WAS recalled. Do you even know your car? Or should I be asking if you even own one.

http://www.hondacars.com/models/spec...odelName=Pilot

Do you see where it says 5 speed automatic. Time to whip out the owner's manual and that is if you even own one. Till then :noob:
Old 06-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Intermediate

Have a 2003 TL w/GPS mapping. Car has 67,000 miles on it (high mileage, lots of highway mixed in with city). I received in the mail last year that the transmission warranty was extended to 100,000 or 7 years, whichever comes first. I guess with my luck at 100,001 miles the transmission will fail. At least in the meantime, I have had zero problems with the car... never needed a repair of any type. I will consider myself fortunate.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, now I am am member of the Tranny Club!

Went to the dealer to have them address the flared shiifting between 2-3 as well as some other issues, including constant gear whine in 3rd gear. Got a call back quickly, new tranny being ordered. Will be in Friday, to be installed Monday.

So much for my theory that I would get by with no tranny issues because I only have the TL-P and not the TL-S.

Got my fingers crossed hoping for the best with the new tranny. Dealership has been very good to work with so far.

Mileage is 35k, 2002 TL-P.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Old 06-17-2004, 09:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AcuraT
Have a 2003 TL w/GPS mapping. Car has 67,000 miles on it (high mileage, lots of highway mixed in with city). I received in the mail last year that the transmission warranty was extended to 100,000 or 7 years, whichever comes first. I guess with my luck at 100,001 miles the transmission will fail. At least in the meantime, I have had zero problems with the car... never needed a repair of any type. I will consider myself fortunate.
Well, it appears I spoke too soon and jinxed myself. Yesterday, wife was driving car and the transmission starting slipping. Told her to test it again at lunch, it continued to get worse. I had to leave the office and meet her to take the car to the dealership. With 7 miles to go the transmission stopped shifting and locked up in fourth gear. Had to limp to the dealership. Fortunately, got there in one piece. Now stuck with a brand new Mitsubishi Lancer rental car (100 miles on the odometer). Dealer said it should be replaced by next Wednesday, give or take a day. I will say the dealer was very nice, bent over backwards to accomdate us, and basically did a good job. I know I don't expect this from Acura, but they seem to be doing everything they can to resolve this as quickly and easily as possible. When the transmission went on my Toyota Cressida at 64,000 miles, what did Toyota do? Nothing. I had to get a new car. So in my book, this is not too bad.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:46 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by ColleenMarie
After 68K miles my 00 TL tranny took a shit. But I have read the horror stories on here of people who have had issues with the dealerships screwing them over. Without a blink of an eye teh dealership replaced my tranny. I had the car back within a week.....
At 68K mi did you have to pay for the repair? how much?
Old 06-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Cruisin'

Well, after months of waiting for my 01 Honda EX-V6 coupe lease to expire, I bought a 03 TLS, SSM w/navi. Had to drive 100 miles to get it, bc no local dealers had any except with the parchment interior or in rough shape. Picked it up last Wed and guess what, tranny was slipping on Sat. Took it to the local dealer and sure enough, it needs a trans. So now I'm going to be in a rental. Glad I bought certified. :'(
Old 06-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Our '03 just blew up at 22k. They get a second chance. After that, as much as I despise lawyers, they are getting a call :\
Old 06-21-2004, 02:48 AM
10th Gear

Have an question

I recently had my 1991 Legend totaled due to Hail. I love the 2nd Generation TL and am looking to purchase one, but I have a major concern with these upon reading the posts regarding the transmssion. Is transmission failure prone to every single TL that is out there to this day.????? I mean, no matter how beautiful a car may look, why would somebody want to go through the hassle, stress, and time just to have a car in running condition. I am a bit concerned with these and to me it seems that everyone out there with a TL is having this problem?? Is there any TL's that have not had any problems??
Old 06-21-2004, 09:52 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moved on happy joy joy
let me tellya not the same tranny no way recall for the cars was air bag issues
Well now that you have moved on to a toyota, maybe your new car can get you to grammer lessons, then we wouldn't have to stare at your posts trying to decode your verbal diarrhea .

But Hey, opinions are like a$$holes , Everybody's got one!
Old 06-22-2004, 11:04 AM
10th Gear

Tranny failed this month at ~28k miles. Brought it in to Acura of Westchester, they replaced the shift control module because "Thats what the computer told us to do". I picked it up drove home only to find out the car would not go in reverse, barely made it back to the dealer chirping every gear on the way there. A week later I got my car back, they replaced the tranny and the PCM under warranty (Along with the brake rotors and pads? Also under warranty, which was a surprise since I never mentioned the brakes when I brought the car in for service). The killer is Enterprise charged me for the rental car the dealer got for me as a loaner. Called to try and get it straightened out with the dealer and Enterprise but today I gave up and just ended up disputing the charge with the credit card company.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Intermediate

Well, it appears I spoke too soon and jinxed myself. Yesterday, wife was driving car and the transmission starting slipping. Told her to test it again at lunch, it continued to get worse. I had to leave the office and meet her to take the car to the dealership. With 7 miles to go the transmission stopped shifting and locked up in fourth gear. Had to limp to the dealership. Fortunately, got there in one piece. Now stuck with a brand new Mitsubishi Lancer rental car (100 miles on the odometer). Dealer said it should be replaced by next Wednesday, give or take a day. I will say the dealer was very nice, bent over backwards to accomdate us, and basically did a good job. I know I don't expect this from Acura, but they seem to be doing everything they can to resolve this as quickly and easily as possible. When the transmission went on my Toyota Cressida at 64,000 miles, what did Toyota do? Nothing. I had to get a new car. So in my book, this is not too bad.
Well, I guess I am a lucky one. Got the Acura back yesterday. Running good as new. New transmission seems to be doing well. It only took four days in the shop, and no charges for anything (not for the rental, not for the work). Springfield, NJ Acura I can say really stands behind their product with Acura corporate. Makes the whole experience (as painful as it was) acceptable. Not often I have been treated this well with car problems. I will definately consider Acura again when I sell the car (probably before 100,000... will wait and see).
Old 06-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Well, I guess I am a lucky one. Got the Acura back yesterday. Running good as new. New transmission seems to be doing well. It only took four days in the shop, and no charges for anything (not for the rental, not for the work). Springfield, NJ Acura I can say really stands behind their product with Acura corporate. Makes the whole experience (as painful as it was) acceptable. Not often I have been treated this well with car problems. I will definately consider Acura again when I sell the car (probably before 100,000... will wait and see).
This is good to hear. I am not pleased with Bridgewater Acura so I will go to Springfield Acura from now on. My '02 TL, the 1-2 times it went in we always took it to Springfield and they were great. Bridgewater Acura is closer, but I'll take the longer drive next time.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Well,

Got the car back today with the new tranny.

Shifts and drives great so far. It seems to pull a bit harder than before.

However, no lazy 2nd-3rd shift, no more 3rd gear whine. So far, I am very pleased.

Will continue to monitor this for any future problems, but it seems that the repair was worth the hassle at this point.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:03 AM
1st Gear

2001 TL with 55k. Front wheel started humming this weekend. Brought into dealer today. Original diagnosis was bad wheel bearing. Now dealer calls back and says transmission is also making noise. They will replace at no cost.

I havn't experienced any shifting problems with this transmission. All the issues i have heard of involve erroneous shifting. I am wondering if i really have a problem or if the dealer is just porking Acura for a transmission change.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Well after reading all good information I was bored, so... I drove my car to Acura Dealership. i told them i feel that my tranny is going Bad. They check on it an they agree. I get a new tranny comming on Monday..... I have 99tl w/85,000
Old 06-24-2004, 08:19 AM
Intermediate

I also had thought about the dealerships porking Acura for the fixes, and actually asked my dealer about that, he told me that each tranny they take out goes back to Acura Corp tech center and is completely ripped apart and examined, so would be pretty hard to get away with shipping a working tranny back and not getting caught.

Originally Posted by nollchr
2001 TL with 55k. Front wheel started humming this weekend. Brought into dealer today. Original diagnosis was bad wheel bearing. Now dealer calls back and says transmission is also making noise. They will replace at no cost.

I havn't experienced any shifting problems with this transmission. All the issues i have heard of involve erroneous shifting. I am wondering if i really have a problem or if the dealer is just porking Acura for a transmission change.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Instructor

I too may be joining the Tranny club. I was driving to Burbank to day and going up hill to the San Fernando Valley. At speeds between 40-50 MPH the car surged about 3 times in less than 2 miles. I cut my trip short and headed to Keys Acura in Van Nuys. While I was there I also noted that I was going to bring my car in next week anyway as my brakes were vibrating again. They had been turned for the same thing a year ago. :shit: I also complained about my ever-flakey Navi sytem. I figured while they got it, FIX IT. 23000 Miles. They at least rented me a loaner and I wound up with an F-150 Crew Cab w/100 miles on it. Ent. was out of cars.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:36 PM
Instructor

It's official, I'm getting a new tranny.

2002 SSM TL-S
23000 Miles
Old 06-29-2004, 03:19 AM
7th Gear

Hi guys, i just bought a 99 tl a couple of months ago from a used car dealer, not a certified acura dealer, so i was just wondering if and when my car has tranny problem do i have to pay for it? or can i just take the car to any acura dealer and they'll replace it for free? please help i dont think i can afford to replace tranny after tranny.. any advice is aprreciated!!! thanks
Old 06-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djxray33
Hi guys, i just bought a 99 tl a couple of months ago from a used car dealer, not a certified acura dealer, so i was just wondering if and when my car has tranny problem do i have to pay for it? or can i just take the car to any acura dealer and they'll replace it for free? please help i dont think i can afford to replace tranny after tranny.. any advice is aprreciated!!! thanks
You should be under the global warranty as long as your car is under 100,000 miles - it is supposed to cover the original owner as well as at least one additional owner after that. After that, I don't know what the coverage is. You will have to bring it to a cerified Acura dealer to check the VIN number to get the final word on it.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TBone2004
This is good to hear. I am not pleased with Bridgewater Acura so I will go to Springfield Acura from now on. My '02 TL, the 1-2 times it went in we always took it to Springfield and they were great. Bridgewater Acura is closer, but I'll take the longer drive next time.
Hey Tbone. I have only good things to say about Springfield Acura. I did not buy the car there, but their service has always been excellent and for the most part reasonably priced (as much as maintenance on a Acura is reasonable). So far so good. Car has been out of the shop one week and no problems. Sorry Bridgewater is not so good, I appreciate the tip...
Old 06-30-2004, 01:07 PM
2nd Gear

99 TL should I buy

I have a similar question - am considering buying a 99 TL but this site is scary and ironic in that it is supposed to be a bunch of enthusiasts but it makes the car sound horrible. But hey I appreciate the info. Anyone else have a bad experience with a 99?
-------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by tswhitsel
I too own a 99 TL, which I bought two years ago with 25K, and was quite concerned to be reading all the stories of tranny problems. However, I currently have 48K on my TL and the transmission has always worked flawlessly. Recently I looked in Consumer Reports buyer's guide and was relieved to see the 99 TL has their highest rating for the tranny (and most everything else on the car!). My understanding is Consumer Reports data base is from owner surveys. It would appear that when Acura switched from a 4 speed to a 5 speed the problems began.

I would be interested to hear other's experiences, particularily those who also own 99 models. Does anyone know of a 99 that has failed?
Old 06-30-2004, 08:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

My tranny just went out at 47k.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

my 2002 TL-S was doing fine till a few days ago- 75,000 miles, then some hard shifts, VSA light flashing....... new transmission to be installed next week- no cost, loaner car etc- Morande Acura seems to be handling this ok, this is the only problem the car has had

just read through the previous posts, my transmission seems to be going through a much slower death spiral than some of the other cases, it misses about one shift in every twenty times, or so, through the gears
Old 07-02-2004, 11:43 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Taking mine into Goodson for the 2nd weekend in a row, I guess. Last weekend they replaced 2 engine mounts @ 90k miles (Yay AcuraCare!), and now likely the tranny. Only problem I have is the delayed shift from reverse to drive. PArk to reverse is nearly instant. Neutral to reverse is nearly instant (and these shifts were instant on the loaner TSX I had). Shifting from reverse to drive, or neutral to drive, I can count 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000 before it engages. TOO LONG! Even my Ford Expedition's shifts are instant under these conditions! I want a new tranny, before the Acura Care runs out at 100K miles! I just read the recall, and I'm not waiting for the mail. That's the point of Owner Link: to keep us up to date.
Has anyone had the problem I describe?
Old 07-03-2004, 09:26 AM
I love cars!

Well, just got back from Goodson here in Dallas (Irving). They didn't really know about the recall until they pulled it up in their sytem. Then they said they don't even have the parts and that Acura will begin notiying people in July...blah.blah blah. Well, again Owner Link just did notify me! My car is a '00, so at least I should be among the earlier notifications. Has anyone actually had this modification work done already?
Old 07-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jbs221
It's official, I'm getting a new tranny.

2002 SSM TL-S
23000 Miles
Saturday July 3, 2004
Drove home this morning after picking up my car from Keyes Acura, Van Nuys, CA.
I have to learn not to let these things affect me, but after being told they did nothing on my brake and Navi issues, I had a "restless" :shit: night last night. Now for the rest of the story.
After returning my F-150 to Enterprise, I picked up my TL-S from Acura. They told me 1) Re: my vibrating brakes to get the rotors changed when the pads wear out, that it should cost about $160. 2) As for my Navi problems they couldn't duplicate them and the reloaded the software. 3) They replaced the tranny with a new (rebuilt??) one.

Now my drive home:
I start the car in the pickup area under an awning. The first thing I notice is the white screen on the navi telling me to wait up to 10 minutes in an open area for the GPS to aquire the sattilites. Keep the motor running and be away from a tall building. I leave drive down the block and park it. In about 2 minutes the normal legal warning comes up and I OK it and program it to take me home. My home location is still in memory (but all my radio presets and auto up/down power window are gone). Ovbiously the battery was disconnected but they didn't reset the window.
Immediately after telling it to take me home it starts F---ing Up! First the lady doesn't talk in complete sentances, she disses the first half of the command. Then it locates me between streets (not on a digitized road) so I start driving and it now locates me 1 block to my right. I continue and about 1/2 mile later after making one right turn it's finally has me on the right road. It correctly guides me to the freeway to go home. I am now diving south on the 405 through the Sepulveda Pass which is a big up and over hill that takes you from the San Fernando Valley to West Los Angeles. On the down slope of the pass, the car SURGES back and forth while I am cruising at 65MPH. I am ready to take a :shit: AGAIN! When I finally exit the freeway at Santa Monica Blvd. I turn right to head for home and the Navi is completely lost AGAIN! It puts me 1 block to my right and is giving me all sorts of directions to return to my route as it bounces my location as I drive forward. At a stop light I now notice that the car is idleing roughly to boot. The final insult is when the navi announces "DESTINATION" one full block BEFORE my home, yet the red dot is exactly on my homes location. :sqntfawk:

I'll be bringing the car to Santa Monica Acura on Tuesday after the holliday weekend. I may be in for a fight.

One question I'd really like to see answers to is:
Do you know somebody who owns a Lexus, for more than 1 year and do they have this much aggrivation and failed fixes by their dealer?

Joe In Los Angeles
------------------------
2002 TL Type-S Navi
Satin Silver
Brakes Turned 15K Miles
Tranny Replaced 23K Miles
Navi Never Works Right
Grab Handles Don't Retract
Old 07-04-2004, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

Tranny problem

Just the other day was driving my car when i heard a big POP and after that my RPMs were goin nuts and my 2nd gear was giving me problems.

The next day I called up the dealer and they said to being the car in right away. While driving to the dealer my TRANNY STARTED GOING NUTS! All the lights started goin off. and the RPMS were at 5! while goin only 30mph!
Everything started getting worse! when i hit traffic i had to floor the gas pedal to even hit 25mph. It was one of the most scariest and horrible experiences ever! I got a call from the Dealer the next day n they told me they r putting in a new tranny and extending my warrenty to 100,000. Hopefully when they replace it, they will not give the same shit tranny that was in my car in the first place. I dont feel safe in my car. If i waited a few days i would have been screwed! -

TL-S 2003 White
Old 07-07-2004, 08:56 PM
I love cars!

Word is out on TL reliability1

Hope this doesn't affect resale values TOO much. Sell 'em before 100K! My premier resource for car research is MSN autos, and TLs for '00-02 get black marks for trans reliability. See the link (copy everything between the asterisks:
**http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/re...rc=VIP&tab=4**
Old 07-09-2004, 05:23 PM
LeXiCoN

im officialy joining the club....i got my car maybe 1.5 weeks ago from an auction....and i got a OEM Kit, AEM CAI, and tips

all the stuff that u guys said above happened 2 me today, and imma take my TL to a dealership 2morrow...but shit i aing driving this now...im getting it towed....i cant even put the car in reverse anymore

hey guys will my AEM CAI void my warrenty?
Old 07-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another "club member"

I have a 01 TL w/25k that has performed flawlessly since purchase. The car is driven by my wife and has been treated like a baby. My wife reports strange things are starting to happen with the tranny, jerking when decelerating, rough shifting and brown transmission fluid. I had the car checked earlier at the dealership and since the problem is intermittent, I got a pat on the back and was sent away. THe problem is worse now but still intermittent.I talked with the service Manager at Proctor Acura, Tallahassee, FL and he says nothing will be done unless he can reproduce the symptoms. In the meantime, my wife is afraid to drive the car. I just went for a 2 hour drive today and, of course, the car drove perfectly. Does anyone have a suggestion on the type of driving makes the tranny problem surface or do I have to wait until the car blows on the road??. I really do not want to make weekly trips to the dealership in hopes that it will do something. I want what I paid for a non-defective car...
A suggestion, is there anyone out there that is skillful enough to make a reverse poll?? "How many 2nd generation TLs have not had tranny problems". The claimed 3% failure rate is pure bullshit...
Old 07-09-2004, 11:56 PM
10th Gear

My tranny is going, i'm at 62,000 miles. Seems to be at 3rd gear after I let off the gas when the lock-up converter engages (i know nothing about transmission but I know something happens when you let off the gas). Anyway, when I let off the gas the transmission makes the car brake HARD for a brief moment. It's pretty scary stuff. On one of its' tantrums the thud was so hard the drive belts squeeled. I just had it out to Blockbuster and it was shifting normally. I'm dropping it off tomorrow morning. My next ride will be a manually tranny, automatics are just too complex for their own good. Will my next car be an Acura? That depends on if the f'ing dealer gives me a loaner or not!
Old 07-10-2004, 02:00 AM
3rd Gear

I bought my 02 TL-S used last Friday w/ no warranty. Had an issue the other day with the VSC light and check engine light coming on. Seems to still be ok though. But my friend that is a mechanic @ Acura, says that he thinks the tranny is going to take a sh*t. It's got 59k on it. Is this 100k warranty a manufacturers warranty that runs with the car? Will I be covered if I do need a new tranny? (even though he'd hook it up anyway)
Old 07-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Intermediate

i just got my second tranny last week and the new one is already acting up. this car is starting to bum me out. does the lemon law apply to this tranny problem if its repaired 3 times?

Quick Reply: How many with tranny problems; Transmission Recall