Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.girardgibbs.com/acurahonda.html
Old 05-17-2004, 08:09 AM
5th Gear

Hi to everyone.

I am new to the forum as well a new owner of a 2002 TL. Unfortunately I bought the car before seeing that this model may have an issue with the transmission. Although this is a high mileage, 73k, car, I thought that they had a decent record in reliability. It's too late now and I own it. I called Acura to get some information in regards to the previous recalls. The previous owner did have them checked. I also wanted to find out if the extended warranty on the transmission was valid to someone who was not the original owner. Good news is that I am covered as all the other owners. I don't remember the exact wording the representative used, but I believe she said there is a recall on the transmission. She gave me a few phone numbers of nearby dealerships and said I should take it in to have the transmission inspected. From what I understood, this is an inspection recall. They will not automatically replace, repair, modify, or patch it unless they feel there is something wrong. It is a done on a car-by-car basis.
My transmissions seem to be fine. I can't say whether or not it has a problem or the potential to have a problem. I have not been in a TL that has problem so I am not aware what it does when it goes bad or starts to go bad. My only complaint with the transmission is that it seems to downshift into 3rd a little to soon when slowing down in traffic.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:18 PM
8th Gear

I have a 2002 TL lease in November of 2002. Got my first new tranny at around 30,000 miles, in Late September 2002. It downshifted on the freeway on the offramp to Acura Oxmoor in Louisville going 60 MPH, then the engine revved and I Couldn't stop It. I thought I was going to die. My now ex-husband insisted we lease the car and now I'm stuck with it in the divorce, it's over milage and in order to get the milage forgiven I have to buy it from them in November at an inflated price and with bad credit from my divorce. The trade in value has fallen $5000 since February. Oh yes, now the Car has 86,000 miles on it and the trabny has gone bad again. This time it downshifted on a city street and I was close to home only going 20 MPH. I called the dealer and had it towed there. Soon as I can I'm trading it for a Mini Cooper.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Cruisin'

think I lucked out????

I just turned over 100 K last week and have noticed much slippage or any real apparent issues with the trany... You guys think I lucked out or just delaying the inevitable
Old 05-20-2004, 12:19 PM
2nd Gear

Red face Okay – let’s talk tranny problems!

Okay – let’s talk tranny problems!

I purchased a new 2002 Acura 3.2 TL car from Acura 2000 in Brampton, Ontario on September 13, 2002. I ended up having to take it in 5 times for service (transmission failure) in the 18 months that followed, for the same service to be performed again because it wasn't done correctly the first time. On the fifth time I took in to the same dealer for service, it was stolen. teh part/tranny was never installed....

I just found out it was on its way to Ghana Africa – and my luck – the insurance company wants me to take this piece of &^&*^ back!
Old 05-22-2004, 02:55 PM
2nd Gear

I've been looking into getting a used TL and now i'm questioning that idea after reading this. Is there really a big problem with the transmisisons for this generation TL? I love the car, but I don't want something that is possilby going to have problems.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Bajre

Even I was thinking of a 01 or 02 TL (with about 30-50K miles), but now have second thoughts after reading all the posts on tranny problems...

Is it really that bad ? Have come to love the car, but I guess confused now... help. I read that some have had it replaced a couple of times. I have read good reviews on this car but this is the first time I am reading this problem.

Currently have a 99 Camry with 91,000+ miles. Bought new, can't believe I drove it for 5 years with out any prob and still love it. Still runs like a champ. Planning to give this to wife and take her Corolla for down payment towards the TL.

Any suggestions ...thanx in advance.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:09 PM
7th Gear

Question

I heard that the 99 TL doesn't have tranny problem, well at least i hope so, i just bought a 99 tl at 58000 miles, and so far there no's tranny problem. After reading the comments here i went to ask the dealer about my car and they said that the 99 tl tranny is more reliable than the 01 and 02. I hope that is so, or else im stuck w/ this car...
Old 05-23-2004, 09:16 PM
1st Gear

99 TL Owner's

I too own a 99 TL, which I bought two years ago with 25K, and was quite concerned to be reading all the stories of tranny problems. However, I currently have 48K on my TL and the transmission has always worked flawlessly. Recently I looked in Consumer Reports buyer's guide and was relieved to see the 99 TL has their highest rating for the tranny (and most everything else on the car!). My understanding is Consumer Reports data base is from owner surveys. It would appear that when Acura switched from a 4 speed to a 5 speed the problems began.

I would be interested to hear other's experiences, particularily those who also own 99 models. Does anyone know of a 99 that has failed?
Old 05-24-2004, 06:25 AM
Cruisin'

Talking

Originally Posted by tswhitsel
I too own a 99 TL, which I bought two years ago with 25K, and was quite concerned to be reading all the stories of tranny problems. However, I currently have 48K on my TL and the transmission has always worked flawlessly. Recently I looked in Consumer Reports buyer's guide and was relieved to see the 99 TL has their highest rating for the tranny (and most everything else on the car!). My understanding is Consumer Reports data base is from owner surveys. It would appear that when Acura switched from a 4 speed to a 5 speed the problems began.

I would be interested to hear other's experiences, particularily those who also own 99 models. Does anyone know of a 99 that has failed?

GOOD STUFF... KICKS ASS TO GET SOME KIND OF GOOD NEWS OFF THIS BOARD FOR ONCE
Old 05-25-2004, 01:17 AM
Racer

I had a 2000TL from April 2000 until last October with absolutely no tranny problems (actually, no problems at all!). Did 45K+ miles, both freeway and city. Loved that car... *sniff*... still miss him... hope whoever got him is being good to him...
Old 05-25-2004, 07:39 AM
2nd Gear

Unhappy 2002 tranny issues

after serious research - the 2002 models have more tranny problems than the others. it's been 4 weeks and I'm still waiting for teh dealership to fix my tranny! they can't figure out how to fix it. they keep re-buildign teh tranny!

it that how you fix a tranny - by re-building it time after time...???
Old 05-25-2004, 05:18 PM
Mugen grille Club Sec.

After 68K miles my 00 TL tranny took a shit. But I have read the horror stories on here of people who have had issues with the dealerships screwing them over. Without a blink of an eye teh dealership replaced my tranny. I had the car back within a week.....
Old 05-25-2004, 08:49 PM
2nd Gear

Does anyone know if this transmission problem exists with just the TL, or is it the Type-S as well? It's hard for me to get the idea of owning a TL out of my head so I hope all of this isn't as bad as it appears.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:27 AM
Racer

I believe the transmission problem went across the whole Honda range - TL, Cl, Accord, Oddesey and now the MDX. When I got notified of the extended warranty on my TL, friends with an Accord and an Oddesey (sp?) got the same note. A friend of my husband just got notified with his MDX. All these cars use the same transmission, I was told.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:12 AM
Advanced

Yes, Towndrunk the TLS has the same disease. As we speak, my "S" is sitting in a bay waiting for it's second tranny transplant. The first one failed at 14k miles and the second one failed at 56k miles.
The service advisor tells me that now they have the new & improved Tranny V 2.0, so to speak, but who knows.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:29 AM
1st Gear

Unhappy My goodness!!! I had no....

What is going on here? Tranny problems? Fill me in. I have been experiencing some strange noises from the trans when accelerating. Sounds like something is grinding but it doesn't do it all the time. What is going on?

Fill me in. I am new to the site. Just registered today
Old 05-27-2004, 09:38 AM
3rd Gear

Theft Recovery

New to this forum, needless to say, a bit concerned. Just purchased a '02 TLS theft recovery, (bags, seats and wheels), that came with a branded title. Does anyone know if the "extended transmission warranty recall" would apply to a branded title vehicle?
Old 05-28-2004, 10:31 AM
Intermediate

Tranny, Ker-splat !!!!!

Ok, well I have 2003 TLS that with a ripe ol 29,725 miles just took a tranny shit....was driving down the turnpike and all my warning lights lit up like a christmas tree. After pulling over to call Acura I was told to bring it in, car slipped and chugged and just ran like shit for the 60 mile drive, they hooked it up to the computer and said, yep, dead tranny. So now it sits in Sussman Acura's service center for a while. They are real good there in Pleasantville NJ so if anyone needs a good service center. David is who I dealt with this time but Angela is real good too. Oh, and on another serius note, I asked him about after getting the tranny done, what are the chances of it reoccuring like it has with so many of you. And he said the same thing that was said a few posts back, I am getting the completely new redisgned tranny that is supposed to be top notch. Now a little humor, I have a 2003 TSX for a loaner, and when he called to tell me what was up, he said because of the memorial day weekend, I will probably have the loaner for like 2 weeks atleast, and he says that sucks cause he really needs that loaner...then he says, so while ya have my car, go on vacation, drive all over, rack up all the miles on the loaner instead of the TL.....made me laugh....so, when I get the car back, I will let ya know.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Cruisin'

Red face Tranny Problems....

Well, today I was told that my '00 tranny is in the begining stage of being faulty. One week ago today, I left my lights on and my driver door ajar, I returned to see my right headlight blown. My car would not start. I got a jump, the check engine light appeared and I was on my way. The battery needs to be replaced, but that is the minor issue. Acura (Radley Acura, Virginia) will order a new tranny for me on Tuesday. I will receive a loaner car for approx. 2 weeks-free of charge until my car is repaired. My dealership did not charge a fee to analize the problem. I am angry, but very found of Acura. I remember seeing the Acura commericals when Honda introduced the Lengend in the '80's. It was a turning point for Honda, I knew then that I wanted an Acura. I would've purchased a Lengend had Acura not discontinued that model. But, that is water under the bridge.

I would like to hear from those that have had their tranny's replaced and get feedback as to the process and service of Acura. I was told by my service advisor tonight that my warranty on the orginal tranny will continue as agreed on the new tranny. In other words, I will not get an extended warranty on my new tranny. This is an issue that I will pursue on Tuesday. I would appreciate any suggestions so that I am well informed when I call Acura Customer Care on Tuesday.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:02 PM
2nd Gear

99 TL Transmission Problems

I have put 157,000 miles on my TL, and have just now run into transmission issues. Acura, even with this amount of miles, is taking care of the transmission. I do have to pay $664.00 to have it put in, but it beats the hell out of $4,400.00, which they first told me. They also stated that IF Acura has a TL transmission recall with unlimited mileage, they will reimburse for the installation charge. They have also told me that they are indeed installing the newly redesigned Tranny that resolves all of the problems. I feel lucky to have gotten that many miles out of the original, and to have the replacement be the new version. So, I guess there is hope for all.

Stuart Combs
1999 TL
157,000 Miles
Old 06-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Cruisin'

03s break too

After less than 8100 miles, my tranny's gone. So it also affects the late 03 models. I'll let you know the manufacturing date when I get my ride back. After it broke, I was able to use the gate shift to put it in gear 1 or 2 (fixed), but otherwise it was stuck at 4, the controller didn't shift, and several lights were on or blinking. The dealer has ordered a new transmission for me, so it's already determined that it needs a replacement, and it's not just a sensor malfunction. There was no sign of failure before it went, and it went when I started the engine and put it to reverse to back out. The rumors that the late 03 batches are top notch are just not true.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:19 PM
Instructor

2002 TLS transmission replaced at about 16K miles. At 33K miles, the new one is still OK, but although I can't be sure, the car has never shifted as smoothly as when it was new (I guess thats to be expected). The new transmission had a very different "feel" to it, but at least it doesn't drop me into neutral like the original .
Old 06-05-2004, 05:14 PM
3rd Gear

Hello from a newbie

Hey guys

I have bought a 99 3.2 TL, well, actually in the middle of buying one, I was supposed to have gotten the car three days ago, but an issue has delayed the buy. I am signing the papers Mon or Tues. I am a bit concerned about all the tranny problems. The only good thing, is the problem seems to be not COMMON among 99's. Should I mention this to the dealer, that I am aware of issues with the Transmission. Is there something I should have them do before I sign away. The mileage is 68000 miles (110000KM). I do love the car alot, but a bit concerned. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am sorry to hear about all the problems you guys/girls have been having with the Tranny. I can't believe Acura hasn't looked into a recall, the problems that can occur sounds dangerous to me. I would think they would be liable for any thing that happens.

Thank you for any advice

Regards, Boss
Old 06-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Cruisin'

hello folks im a ex owner of a 03 tl im here to tell u it does not have the same tranny as a pilot i own one of those .point blank it hase a 4 speed automatic no tiptronic nothing to fail put in drive gear your done . plus mdx and pilot same car ,chassy engine tranny. slight body diff but basiclly same car.my wifes drives the pilot and hase never had any problems and when i do drive the car its rock solid unlike my old 03 tl any ways have extened warrnty and only 11k miles on it im not worried but if u own 03 or 04 tl with auto tranny be very worried u will have a problem and that sucks and with that i close by saying check out the new 04 solara nice car.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:19 PM
3rd Gear

Bad Trannies

Had my first tranny go bad at 4400 miles. Now the second just went at 50,000. 2000 TL. A great car with a lousy transmission = a lousy car in my book. I expected better from Acura.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Instructor

Tranny Prob

Well guys it looks like I'm on board with this tranny problem. I was driving along at 50 the other day not even on the gas..just cruising along and all of a sudden it like dropped into neutral and then the revs shot up and it dropped back into gear and chirped the tires and jerked the car hard. I'm not sure what that was, but I took it to acura and they said they're swap out my tranny for me. Any ideas guys as to what caused that to happen? is that the tranny failure sign?
Old 06-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Advanced

Tranny died also

My tranny just died today...
35k miles. Man... she was running so well up till now.
I thought i was one of the lucky ones, but I guess not.
If my tranny went beserk and caused damage to the body of the car, will that also be taken care of?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:40 PM
6th Gear

Yeppers

2002 TL-S 1st tranny 2x,000 miles, now they will be looking at it again on friday. Doesn't shift right and downshifts too early. It is crap, I want a new one. 51,000 now.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Instructor

Early Tansmission Symptoms

Slipping into neutral while driving is a definite symptom - in my mind, a late one, not an early one.

For me the early symptoms were a short "miss" on the transmission. The first two times it happened I thought I hit slick spot on the road because it felt like the tires weren't grabbing for an instant. I know now that the car was actually slipping into neutral for an instant.

Later, the car would drop into neutral for as long as I held down the gas - testing the rev limiter. Then, if I let up on the gas, it fell back into gear. Luckily I was never slammed into a lower gear while driving.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Cruisin'

Failed TL-S Tranny

My '03 TL-S tranny failed at 18,434 back in February. Within a week of getting it back, the same problems (hesitation, jerking) started. I called Acura Client Services and opened a case, and requested the drivetrain warranty extension. I was denied and was told that "the automatic transmission is the most complex system on a car, and failures do occur." What a load of crap! :sqntfawk:

I hope with the Pilot and Odyssey tranny recall they truly have fixed the problem, and they extend it to the TL so I can feel comfortable keeping this car. The '04 TL looks nice, but IMO not as nice as the '03.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Instructor

just got my car back from the dealer ship... 2nd tranny at 21000
Old 06-10-2004, 05:03 PM
2002 TL-S NAVI

Ok. Another of the failed tranny story!
Mine failed at 32500
First failure. I hope my dealer gets me the new design of the tranny (if it exists).
I was taking the merge ramp on freeway 880 when the car stopped responding to the accelerator.
Boy, I love my TL! Why did this happen
Old 06-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Cruisin'

hello dorks the recall on the piolt is for improved timing on the air bag nothing to do with the tranny .do u have a pilot what kind of tranny does it have ill tell u it hase a simple 4 speed tranny no 5 speed tiptronick so get offf the idea of the recall haveing any thing to do with tranny.plus i own both of these cars tl and pilot well tl gone by by but any ways dont drown your sob story about your tiptronick 5 speed that failed with other honda acura products that sucks. pilot by the way tuff as nails drive real nice plus if your looking other car id would look at the 04 solara sle 6 3.3 235 horesy nice car .all the gooodys that tl hade any ways just recap there no recall for tranny just for air bag 1 second change on the timing of release of air bag any ways u do no that the tranny for the pilot is not the same as the tranny for tl or rl or rsx let me remind u the tranny in pilot is 4 speed simple put in drive and go nothing to breake really good luck with your cars folks
Old 06-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by nyerinsd
My '03 TL-S tranny failed at 18,434 back in February. Within a week of getting it back, the same problems (hesitation, jerking) started. I called Acura Client Services and opened a case, and requested the drivetrain warranty extension. I was denied and was told that "the automatic transmission is the most complex system on a car, and failures do occur." What a load of crap! :sqntfawk:

I hope with the Pilot and Odyssey tranny recall they truly have fixed the problem, and they extend it to the TL so I can feel comfortable keeping this car. The '04 TL looks nice, but IMO not as nice as the '03.
hey the tranny in pilot not the same as your tl get it right i own a pilot there is no recall for the tranny or i would have been notified the recall concerns air bag timming for the passenger side seeya
Old 06-11-2004, 10:11 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by crombie1000
Well guys it looks like I'm on board with this tranny problem. I was driving along at 50 the other day not even on the gas..just cruising along and all of a sudden it like dropped into neutral and then the revs shot up and it dropped back into gear and chirped the tires and jerked the car hard. I'm not sure what that was, but I took it to acura and they said they're swap out my tranny for me. Any ideas guys as to what caused that to happen? is that the tranny failure sign?
hello your tranny computer failed and told the tranny to do things like down shift in to second gear while doing 60 to 70 miles an hour witch sucks hard plus it kills the tranny right there and then so think about your high end 5 speed 3 computer runned over kill tranny that basiclly hase cheap computer chips that fail from heat and vibration good luck my advice is to dump like i did im happy now thats what counts good luck
Old 06-11-2004, 10:13 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Towndrunk
Does anyone know if this transmission problem exists with just the TL, or is it the Type-S as well? It's hard for me to get the idea of owning a TL out of my head so I hope all of this isn't as bad as it appears.
all the tl s modles or not have tranny problems dont buy :shit:
Old 06-11-2004, 10:14 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ColleenMarie
After 68K miles my 00 TL tranny took a shit. But I have read the horror stories on here of people who have had issues with the dealerships screwing them over. Without a blink of an eye teh dealership replaced my tranny. I had the car back within a week.....
so
Old 06-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
I thionk they plan to announce the TL and CL recall after they deal with the thousands of SUVs and Vans (Pilot, Oddesy, MDX) getting in to get new trannies. There would be NO WAY they would put a recall in on 8 different lines of cars at the same time. No one would be able to get to the dealership for a oil change or any service, if the dealership had to give out rentals to every owner of - TLs - CLs - Oddesy - Pilot - MDX - Accord they might as well buy Budget rental car franchise to get the discount!!

I wouldn't be suprised if after the first wave of trannie replacements, the MDX and two others, the next wave would be the other three cars discussed in this thread, the TL, CL and Accord. Fingers crossed!!

But if you are positive that the trannies are the same from the MDX to the TL then it is almost garenteed that we will be next....
let me tellya not the same tranny no way recall for the cars was air bag issues
Old 06-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JOSH-B
GOOD STUFF... KICKS ASS TO GET SOME KIND OF GOOD NEWS OFF THIS BOARD FOR ONCE
thats right folks from 4 speed to 5 speed awhhh 5 speed mdx have problems 4 speed pilot no problems just like older tl to the newer tls sad so sad

Quick Reply: How many with tranny problems; Transmission Recall