How many ppl in California have tinted front windows on TLS ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How many ppl in California have tinted front windows on TLS ?

Hey all,
I am planning a trip down to LA and San Diego the week after 4th of July and I would like to find out how strict are the law enforcements down south on front tinted windows ?

I have my TL-S tinted 40% fronts and 35% rear (I forgot the exact numbers) and so far the cops here don't give me any trouble. I just want to hear your experience down there.

Please advise.

Cheers !!!
Old 06-16-2003, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what the law is, but it changed 1/2002. I believe they now allow 35% on the front side windows, but you might want to check. I had on my 2001 TL 35% on all the windows (except the front windshield) and I never got pulled over for it and I routinely visited the LA area with the vehicle and went to the San Diego area once. I think you can do a search through the penal code on the state's website to see what is allowed.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:58 PM
Racer

California law: no tint whatsoever on the front driver and passenger windows. Period.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:46 PM
Burning Brakes

I've got 35% on my fronts in so cal (santa monica,w.la,valley,orange and ventura co. also) I've never had a prob with it even when being pulled over never even mentioned it.
23types is correct it IS illegal to have any tint on front doors.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yea .. I know you are now allowed to have any tint on the front windows but it looks balance to put some tint on the front if you have tinted on the rear windows.

I guess this is just like the front license plate. You are required to have it but some people still take it off.

Thanks all for the reply.

Cheers !!!
Old 06-17-2003, 04:50 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THey used to enforce it up the A$$ for awhile, now they don't really anymore. I have medium all around 5 windows. Nothing yet for 2 years. I see many cars with tint darker then mine.

I think ur safe, as long as ur not driving like a made man. They usually don't pull over luxury cars...my sister in her camry got pulled over for tint
Old 06-17-2003, 07:58 AM
Burning Brakes

while driving in the city the front being gone will get you pulled over much quicker than the tint. I got a fix it for the front plate in venice and he didnt even mention the tint. Cities that have the redlight cameras want they're 300bucks per pop,and without a front plate they cant get the drivers face and the plate # in ONE pic. I take my chances with no plate!!
Old 06-17-2003, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Twenty03/yield2S--you can have tints on the driver and front passenger windows in CA...except it can't be any less than 70% and meet other requirements (see CVC 26708(d)); also note that in CVC 26708(d), all of the conditions in that section have to be met in order for the front window tint to be permitted. I know 'cuz my brother runs a window tint shop and he has that exact CVC posted in his shop. Of course, that won't stop people from getting front tints darker than 70% but he'll always tell them that he's not liable for any legal issues arising from application of illegal tint, obviously so that he can cover his butt if the customer complains about getting an illegal front tint ticket.

VTEC Animal--the 35% rule applies only if you have a medical or visual condition requiring that you and/or your front passenger be shielded from the sun (CVC 26708(b)(10)), in which case you can have tint which is no less than 35%, but you will need an authorized letter from your doctor certifying that you have such a condition. Also note that this section states that said device can't be used in darkness, so that effectively means you can't even use tint material since of course tint film isn't easily removable and even then, I can't imagine why someone would even bother going through the logistics of removing tint at night and then reapplying it the next day.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Racer

Well I don't own a tint shop and neither does any family member of mine but I have spent some time in a law library...

CVC 26708 (d):

"Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat..."

"Tint" is not clear, colorless and transparent.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
Old 06-17-2003, 01:36 PM
I'm Cool

I did on my CL, click on my homepage to c pics
Old 06-17-2003, 03:40 PM
I'm Cool

I did on my CL, click on my homepage to c pics
Old 06-17-2003, 06:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by tdoh
Twenty03/yield2S--you can have tints on the driver and front passenger windows in CA...except it can't be any less than 70% and meet other requirements (see CVC 26708(d)); also note that in CVC 26708(d), all of the conditions in that section have to be met in order for the front window tint to be permitted. I know 'cuz my brother runs a window tint shop and he has that exact CVC posted in his shop. Of course, that won't stop people from getting front tints darker than 70% but he'll always tell them that he's not liable for any legal issues arising from application of illegal tint, obviously so that he can cover his butt if the customer complains about getting an illegal front tint ticket.

VTEC Animal--the 35% rule applies only if you have a medical or visual condition requiring that you and/or your front passenger be shielded from the sun (CVC 26708(b)(10)), in which case you can have tint which is no less than 35%, but you will need an authorized letter from your doctor certifying that you have such a condition. Also note that this section states that said device can't be used in darkness, so that effectively means you can't even use tint material since of course tint film isn't easily removable and even then, I can't imagine why someone would even bother going through the logistics of removing tint at night and then reapplying it the next day.
Yeah, later on after I posted my message I went and read the vehicle code which you've conveniently posted above. For the life of me I can't remember who told me about the change to 35%, but obviously I was mis-informed. Thanks for the posting.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Twenty03 Type-S
California law: no tint whatsoever on the front driver and passenger windows. Period.
true. true.

besides, doesnt the driver and passenger side windows come tinted by the factory?
Old 06-17-2003, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well I don't own a tint shop and neither does any family member of mine but I have spent some time in a law library...

CVC 26708 (d):

"Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat..."

Well, that particular section doesn't even make mention of the word "tint", and besides--do you know off the top of your head of any readily and commonly available material that is colorless and yet have a light transmission of 70%? Or IOW--what do you think the DMV defines "colorless" as? Heck, even standard safety vehicle glass has some "color", albeit nothing that visibly stands out.

Besides, IIRC my bro has the letter which makes reference to the CHP actually acknowledging that 70% "tint" film is permissible under the guidelines stated in the CVC per 26708(d). Betcha your trip to the "law library" didn't make mention of that; unless you're actually a lawyer who has actually prosecuted someone for illegally using 70% "tint", please don't try to imply that what you're saying is absolute fact.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:31 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tdoh
Well, that particular section doesn't even make mention of the word "tint", and besides--do you know off the top of your head of any readily and commonly available material that is colorless and yet have a light transmission of 70%? Or IOW--what do you think the DMV defines "colorless" as? Heck, even standard safety vehicle glass has some "color", albeit nothing that visibly stands out.

Besides, IIRC my bro has the letter which makes reference to the CHP actually acknowledging that 70% "tint" film is permissible under the guidelines stated in the CVC per 26708(d). Betcha your trip to the "law library" didn't make mention of that; unless you're actually a lawyer who has actually prosecuted someone for illegally using 70% "tint", please don't try to imply that what you're saying is absolute fact.
[/QUOTE

fact is: you tint your driver side window--you CAN get a ticket for it.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Werd? Is it that bad in Cali? I have 5% all the way around and 35% on front on an SSM. I think it's pretty noticable on a silver car.....but I haven't had any trouble though!
Old 06-17-2003, 09:05 PM
Racer

Well, that particular section doesn't even make mention of the word "tint",
Thank you. You've make my point. That is why you can get a ticket for having COLORED tint on your front windows.

You can wave whatever "letter" you may have but the fact of the matter is we are talking about window "tint" that is colored; the California Code specifically makes reference that it be "clear, colorless, and transparent."

Remember there isn't an "or" there but, rather, an "and." All three must be there.

Besides, for the "tint" to be greater than 70%, it would almost have to be colorless. This statute is more for UVA protection, not "darkening" the windows.

You, my friend, are misleading the other members reading this thread by stating it is legal to have front "tint" in California - at least in the context of this thread and the original question.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

PLEASE FELLOWS LET US REALIZE THAT (AS ANOTHER MEMBER HAD MENTIONED) ALL CARS COME WITH BUILT-IN TINT TO THEM.THE % WILL SURPRISE YOU IF YOU TAKE A PIECE OF CLEAR GLASS THE SAME THICKNESS AND HOLD IT NEXT TO YOUR WINDOW. NOW THIS IS MOST LIKELY THE 70% LIMIT THAT TDOH SHOULD THINK ABOUT.
NOW REALLY, TRYING TO LOOK AT BOTH SIDES HERE LETS SAY (AS YOUR LETTER STATES) THAT UNDER LAW YOU CAN ADD 70% FILM TO YOUR WINDOWS THAN WHAT YOU WILL ACTUALLY HAVE IS THE 70% FILM PLUS THE FACTORY TINTING = +70 WHEN CHECKED WITH A LIGHTLOSS METER(YES THEY HAVE THEM).
OF COARSE FOR ME THIS IS A MUTE POINT. I HAVE THE TINT I WANT AND REALIZE THE RISKS. 35%FRONT AND 20%REAR COMBO
Old 06-18-2003, 11:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 16975
fact is: you tint your driver side window--you CAN get a ticket for it.
True, but fact is: you can technically get a ticket for having any object or material (for all intents and purposes of this thread, I'll just refer to such as "tint" for sake of simplicity) affixed on the rear windows too.

Twenty03--I see our difference of interpretation is based on the fact that you're interpreting the literal meaning of the code, whereas I'm interpreting it based on the spirit of the meaning, so to speak. Let me put all this in another way--is/was your decision to not apply material to the front windows (assuming you even considered the possibility of doing so) based solely on your interpretation of the CVC regarding colored material on the front windows? I ask only because if so, then I guess by that reasoning, you wouldn't/shouldn't have any basis to complain at all if you somehow managed to be given a ticket for exceeding the maximum posted speed limit by 1 mph, no? 'Cuz that would sound a bit hypocritical on your part given your stance regarding the issue of front tints...

My point is that we're both right as far as the meaning--literal or intent--of the law regarding front window tint is concerned; I wasn't attempting to get into a battle of "you're wrong, I'm right", and if it did seem to come across like that, I apologize.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CVC 26708 (d):

LOL! This thread is funny. Most of us who have tint are probably speeding in our TL-S' like a mo'fo! A window tint "fixit" ticket is the least of our worries! :p

However, if you've ever seen 70% tint on a window you'd know that it was darn near "colorless" and "clear" (and useless!).

The fact is -- There are many things on a vehicle that a cop can ticket you for... window tint is just one of them.

Dr. Cookie:
If you drive like a normal person (and your car looks semi-normal) you shouldn't have a problem. I have 35% on the fronts (I think) and haven't had one run in. Usually, if the cops can see inside your car they'll give you a pass on giving you a ticket. But all bets are off if you do something that brings you to their attention.

Have fun in LA and San Diego!

V.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Dr. Cookie:
If you drive like a normal person (and your car looks semi-normal) you shouldn't have a problem. I have 35% on the fronts (I think) and haven't had one run in. Usually, if the cops can see inside your car they'll give you a pass on giving you a ticket. But all bets are off if you do something that brings you to their attention.

Have fun in LA and San Diego!

V. [/B][/QUOTE]

vperkins2,

Thanks for the advice. So far, my car is still stock except for the IceBox and I have a baby onboard during the trip so I will not be driving like a mad man.

If you guys see an ABP TL-S with TINTED windows the week after July 4th, that might be me.

Cheers !!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 01:43 PM
Instructor

True, but fact is: you can technically get a ticket for having any object or material (for all intents and purposes of this thread, I'll just refer to such as "tint" for sake of simplicity) affixed on the rear windows too.

huh? no you cant.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 16975
huh? no you cant.
Yes, you can...CVC 26708(b)(8)--read the part where it says that you need to have left- and right-hand side outside mirrors. Yeah, one would be hard-pressed to find a car that doesn't have both side mirrors but I did say that it's "technically" possible to get a ticket for having rear window tint.

And FWIW--a CHP officer pointed that obscure fact out to me back when I had illegal tints on my front windows...not that I was missing a mirror or anything, but he told me that if he really wanted to be picky, he would bust someone on such trivial a technicality.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:34 PM
Instructor

ding. youre right. i thought you meant just by having rear window tint, a chippie can cite you for it.
Old 06-21-2003, 03:27 AM
Racer

BAD EXPERIENCE

NOOOOO...I got busted three times for my tinted window. Teo in Sd and one in sac. Cops here are ****S bout that stuff. I was driving my mom to the store and i saw cops and rolled down my window but i left about 1/4 of an inch and he wrote me a ticket. There is a little tint on the OEM windows so who ever say its 70% might be right about the CA law. But just drive careful. Gicing you the head up and KNOCK ON WOOD. I got away with like 4 tickets within the past week. THe police is infested out here so WATCH out and have fun

BG