How fast have you gone in your Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 11:15 PM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
juniorbean, though you are right about the speedo not correcto theory, it actually felt the limiter kick in right before the 150 mark. and i am running 225/45/17 which would knock the speedo even farther off. explain that!
Old 06-26-2003, 06:32 AM
Drifting

nuff said. it's a TL-P too.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by V.NaK
Yea...I think the speedometer was made so that there will be about a few miles off of what your actually reading on your speedometer. I was going exactly 50mph, but one fo those speed posts showed 46mph. This one pondered me for awhile because people told me its ok to go an extra 5+mph. Guess it makes sense now since your not really going any much faster...Damm people playing mind tricks on us!
I dunno about your car, but on my '02 TL-S the speedo is a lot more accurate than people would think; at sub-100 mph speeds I've found that the speedo is pretty much spot on when compared to my portable GPS--maybe at most 1 mph off at anything below 100 (didn't bother checking accuracy at 100+ since if I wanted to see how fast my TL-S could go, I'd use the reading on my GPS anyways since it can record top speed.

FWIW--unless you're running on stock-sized tires or have gotten your speedometer corrected after putting on non-stock sized tires, proof of top speed based on speedometer reading isn't considered valid...since anyone can "cheat" by putting on slightly smaller-circumference tires.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:39 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by EmuMessenger
Are replies to this thread admissable in court?
Sure just tell them you were driving in germany at the time.

By the way I hit 159 MPH on my 99 TL in undisclosed location, but I was at almost at 5k elevation and 50 degrees F.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:41 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Red Hot TL

Holy **** don't tell me that is the set belt light on the cluster. Crazy motherf***
Old 06-29-2003, 05:59 AM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

i just noticed the seat belt thing too, but in all sense, if you hit something at that speed, the seat belt will do nothing for you. though hitting the top speed may sound like fun, i would never do it again. if the slightest thing goes wrong, your life is over, and thats a guarantee. imagine, your tire could burst (though it shouldnt but we all saw firestone), your lug nuts not tight enough, another car gets in the way, etc.....
dont want to sound like a highway nannie but just visualize it for a moment and youll understand.
btw, heres a neat little trick i found on a friends 93 camry. when your parking garage is wet and oily, floor the car until it hits redline. the speedo would jump to 130 for a second. dont know if it works in our cars though?
Old 06-29-2003, 08:53 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I seem to remember there being a way for you to "tap" the glass of the speedometer and get it to jump up in speed when you arent moving at all! ... Not the same as the Camry thing, but a fun thing to do in any case.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:38 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by V.NaK
Yea...I think the speedometer was made so that there will be about a few miles off of what your actually reading on your speedometer. I was going exactly 50mph, but one fo those speed posts showed 46mph. This one pondered me for awhile because people told me its ok to go an extra 5+mph. Guess it makes sense now since your not really going any much faster...Damm people playing mind tricks on us!
Ever car, and I mean literally ever car, has a speedometer that's slightly off. That's why cops don't bother with +5 in local area, and +10 on the interstate. Tires are the main cause, since as they start wearing out, the circumference is reduced and the car think you're going faster than you actually are.

That's why I got 85 on the interstate (70). Gotta compensate.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:41 AM
Drifting

well, at that high of the speed, it's not that the seatbelt won't do anything for you, it's that it'll kill you... when you hit like a wall of something, the sudden decrease in speed would toss you out the car, but at the same time, the seatbelt that's holding you wouldn't be "holding" you but instead, cutting you in half.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
You're all very welcome to drive this fast wherever you do so... and I promise i won't turn this thread into a "you guys are crazy and should be thrown in jail!!" .. but I'll tell ya this .. if you ever come speeding like that behind me, in my neck of the woods.. I have no remorse for you should something happen .. God forbid.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Red Hot TL

come on, hes not really going that fast. the car is sitting on jack stands or a chassis dyno or something. thats why the seatbelt light is probably on. Would you bulcke up if you were in a driveway or on a dyno?

ive seen 130 before. these cars are total pieces of **** over 110. They arent stable at all, or fast at those speeds. My 2001 A4 2.8 felt faster at higher speeds, even though it was alot slower off the line. It also was much much more stable and 130 felt like 80 in it where in the TL, 130 feels like 130. this is strange because the TL has a good cd on paper. Maybe i rear lip spoiler would make it more stable by smothing out the air coming off the back deck but i dont know, im not too well versed in fluid dynamics.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:31 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by TimN88
come on, hes not really going that fast. the car is sitting on jack stands or a chassis dyno or something. thats why the seatbelt light is probably on. Would you bulcke up if you were in a driveway or on a dyno?

ive seen 130 before. these cars are total pieces of **** over 110. They arent stable at all, or fast at those speeds. My 2001 A4 2.8 felt faster at higher speeds, even though it was alot slower off the line. It also was much much more stable and 130 felt like 80 in it where in the TL, 130 feels like 130. this is strange because the TL has a good cd on paper. Maybe i rear lip spoiler would make it more stable by smothing out the air coming off the back deck but i dont know, im not too well versed in fluid dynamics.
Perhaps its my rear wing spoiler (although I really doubt it has much of an effect), but when I hit 130 in my car, it was bone stock, and the car felt great. It was much more stable than my old 1st gen Eclipse at 110. The engine didn't feel like it was struggling at all, and the engine definitely felt like it wanted to go faster if I didn't realize how crazy it was going 130 to begin with. Slight highway turns did not feel like they had any problems with stability. I've never driven an A4 before, but I don't think there were any problems with the car at 130...

I would only imagine that the car would feel even more stable at 130 now that I'm dropped on coilovers and running with Comptech swaybars (but I don't really have any plans to try it again)
Old 06-30-2003, 05:36 PM
Instructor

I'm sure it would be more stable if it was lowered. They sit really high in the front stock so alot of air is getting under the car. this air then gets slowed down by all the crap under the car causing lift.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:15 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you guys tried folding in the outside mirrors to reduce wind resistance? I haven't taken mine to a "top speed" yet but it stands to reason that the mirrors could be responsible for 1 or 2 mph.