How do you use a jack stand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2001, 09:59 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you use a jack stand?

How do you use jack stands exactly? Where do you place it? Do you actually remove your hydraulic jacks and leave it on the stands or do you use the stands as a backup in case the jack fails?
Old 10-20-2001, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Re: How do you use a jack stand?

Originally posted by daverman
How do you use jack stands exactly? Where do you place it? Do you actually remove your hydraulic jacks and leave it on the stands or do you use the stands as a backup in case the jack fails?
Jack stands shouldn't be viewed as a "backup" ("supplement" may be the proper word here) for a hydraulic jack, but as a more safer/secure substitute for keeping your vehicle elevated off the ground once it is lifted using the hydraulic (or manual) jack.

Of course, you can leave the hydraulic jack in place even with the vehicle supported on jack stands if you like (peace of mind).

Tony
Old 10-20-2001, 10:25 AM
Pro

First off, you can use them as a backup or independently. I usually go with independent because they have a much smaller footprint than my floor jack.

I never had them under my TL but have used them plenty under my other cars and occasionally my Legend. As far as placement goes (Legend), I would either place them under the factory jack points or under the front/rear subframe, depending on where I am working. If you are working under the motor and have the whole nose in the air I would probably recommend you put them under the subframe vs. the jack points (Too much weight supported from that far back IMO). Just make sure it is a solid area of the subframe.

Make sure the jackstand is on a FLAT concrete surface. Asphalt is OK if you don't have the whole car in the air, it's not too hot or you put a flat board under the stand's base. On concrete, I have had my entire Suburban solidly in the air while putting in a transmission.

They are safe and stable if you are careful and use common sense.

If you don't want to scratch the underside of your car you can use duct tape and tape a rag to the jack stand.
Old 10-20-2001, 12:56 PM
Race Director

Whatever you do, jack or jack stands, don't crawl underneath the car, ever. Well, that's my rule. I guarantee a car will never ever fall on me. That's because you won't ever find me underneath one. Simple.

Once when the Midas guy had my entire car 6 feet in the air, he wanted to show me something underneath and motioned me over. Please, like I am going to stand underneath with my entire car overhead, even if it is on a professional lift system. That's what I was paying them for; for them to stand underneath all that steel.