Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by actright
without drilling?
everytime i floor it, my trunk net catches the subs and box, its pretty lame
Old 09-15-2005, 12:54 AM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to Home Depot and buy the Velcro Strips, the heavy duty ones about 2x4 inches? Mine hasn't moved even when I take corners hard. One in each corner is more than enough.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by kensukikatayo
Go to Home Depot and buy the Velcro Strips, the heavy duty ones about 2x4 inches? Mine hasn't moved even when I take corners hard. One in each corner is more than enough.
yeah you can use that velcro strip..but after awhile it will leave that sticky mark on ur trunk cotton...but yeah velcro strip is ur best bet to not make it move without drilling..good luck on ur system
Old 09-15-2005, 02:52 AM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Originally Posted by SaNJoSeTLRydEr
yeah you can use that velcro strip..but after awhile it will leave that sticky mark on ur trunk cotton...but yeah velcro strip is ur best bet to not make it move without drilling..good luck on ur system

you only need to use velco with the rough side..
Old 09-15-2005, 03:18 AM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

Originally Posted by pimpravi
you only need to use velco with the rough side..
That's what I did, there's no need to attach the other side of the Velcro to your trunk mat because the Velcro on the sub enclosure will stick to the trunk mat already. The only downside is that your trunk mat's hair will get a little fuzzy but who cares. Just be sure to attach the side of the Velcro with the hooks onto the sub enclosure and not the fuzzy side.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:46 AM
Ganji, Want some?

Yep, I went to Lowe's and got them velcro strips, adhesive on the back and velcro on the front so they stick to your box and they stick to the car's floor. no sticky mess, no residue, I think.....

But thats what i use cause i drive like a maniac and my box used to be in all types of positions, that is until i Had Velcro come to the rescue.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:37 AM
Peach Tea

I'm gonna go get some of this velcro today also, that's a good idea. So did you guys place adhesive part of the velcro on the trunk mat? What does the actual velcro part stick to? Thanks for any help.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Meat Man

My box fits perfectly in between the seat area in the trunk (if you look you will see it)... it just wedges in there and doesn't slide anywhere.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Speed Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wedge idea was my first bet, but the box would have been huge and sounded terrible for only a single 12. Mine has a home made floor that covers the amps in the spare, so they used grill snaps, and a wedge shape around the bottom of the box. On top of that, I have a fake wall that flushes the sub in, and it is secured by a raised section on the fake floor around the amps.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

Originally Posted by badazzTL
I'm gonna go get some of this velcro today also, that's a good idea. So did you guys place adhesive part of the velcro on the trunk mat? What does the actual velcro part stick to? Thanks for any help.
You only attach velcro to your sub enclosure! Do not attach the fuzzy side of the velcro to the trunk mat, only attach the hooky side of the velcro to the bottom corners of your sub enclosure. The hooks will grab onto the trunk mat's hairs. Trust me, it won't move.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:34 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
great idea, but I think I might get rid of my system, too friggin' loud and heavy.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:34 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

You only attach velcro to your sub enclosure! Do not attach the fuzzy side of the velcro to the trunk mat, only attach the hooky side of the velcro to the bottom corners of your sub enclosure. The hooks will grab onto the trunk mat's hairs. Trust me, it won't move.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:40 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if u dont wanna use velcro...i use bunji cords to hod a box filled with all types of car fluids and cleaning stuff!
Old 09-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
velcro isnt strong enough for teh way i drive. i need to find a different way
Old 09-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Peach Tea

I bought some "industrial strength" velcro today, I haven't driven my car yet but it doesn't seem to hold it down as secure as I thought. I guess we'll see tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:26 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought some "industrial strength" velcro today, I haven't driven my car yet but it doesn't seem to hold it down as secure as I thought. I guess we'll see tomorrow.
bungee cord time??
Old 09-16-2005, 01:28 AM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

That's the same one I used. I wish I only put it on only 2 corners instead of all 4 cause now it's so hard to move it and lift it off the trunk mat especially with my nav bracket in the way. It's your choice, just set it down right the first time. Let it settle in for about a day, don't drive too hard and take turns all nuts for that while. It won't budge after awhile unless u have a really weird box...
Old 09-16-2005, 02:40 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

i tried velcro but that just pulled the carpet up with it when it tipped forward. now i put plates on the back of the box and screwed it into the rear deck. right at the bottom of the deck is some space you can drill into easily
Old 09-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Peach Tea

Well I drove today and so far so good with velcro only. It didn't seem to hold too well yesterday but I guess it's doing something because it hasn't moved yet. I put my sub facing the back seat and the amp facing forward (with the trunk open), since my amp is mounted to my box and this will allow for easy access of the controls. I haven't really driven that hard so I'm not completely sure if the velcro is going to hold it under extreme G force conditions . Anyway, thanks for all the help guys!
Old 09-16-2005, 01:20 PM

The interesting thing about velcro is even though it might not hold extreamly well on the carpet when pulling it directly up. But if you put down the velcro down on the carpet and try to slide the vlecro along the carpet you will see just how strong it really is.

Heck it pulled up NYZGREATST's carpet in his trunk.. obviously it is strong enough..

Once the box is in there it will be very hard to get out... you'll lift one side and try to pull it out but the other side is stuck to the carpet..

I found the easiest way to move around the box in the trunk was to throw down a couple of pens or pencils and use them as rollers to get the box into position, then remove the pens and allow the hooks from the vlecro to grab into the carpet. The weight of the box holds it there and the hooks will prevent any sliding.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Racer

thanks for all the great tips! I was wondering if the sticky side of the velcro (not the fuzzy stuff) stick well to either your box, or the stock trunk floor mat? Did any1 have to cut holes in the trunk mat to get the sticky side to stick to the metal.

Also 2nd question, how much velcro did you use, I went to the store and bought two 1" x 12" strips, is this enough, my box is super heavy its 2 12" kicker L7s with a 1000/1 JL amp mounted on top. I have a good feeling that this application is meant for 1 12" sub enclosures or something smaller.

Great feedback guys, keep it up
Old 09-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I have a 10in JL W7 in a sealed JL box (the one with the 3 slanted silver grates) if you know what that looks like; which weighs a ton. All I did was put the rough side of the velcro strip on the existing carpeted mat in the trunk and the carpet on my box sticks perfectly to that "rough side velcro." Just put pieces of tape on the edges of where your box is right now(if thats where u want it to be when velcroed down) and then lay your "rough side of the velcrow down" have someone help you perfectly align the box on the velcro and that sucker shouldnt budge. I did a test to see if the velcrow leaves and resadue when pulled up and no it shouldnt leave a mark on ur trunk mat. I used a single strip of the heavy duty velcro at home depot under the sides and front of the box and it holds amazingly in fast starts and corners. Best thing is no drilling, no holes in ur trunk and u only spent like 10 bux. Hope this helps, if you have any specific ?'s PM me. Holla
Old 09-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Missing my Acura's

I use bungee cord and that baby goes nowhere.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:21 AM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

I haven't tried sticking the velco onto my trunk mat and letting it hook onto my sub enclosure but I didn't want any residue on my trunk mat and I'd rather the velcro be on my sub enclosure if I ever decide to move it I won't have to detach the velcro from my trunk mat to shift the position. Thinking ahead.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:41 AM

I haven't tried sticking the velco onto my trunk mat and letting it hook onto my sub enclosure but I didn't want any residue on my trunk mat and I'd rather the velcro be on my sub enclosure if I ever decide to move it I won't have to detach the velcro from my trunk mat to shift the position. Thinking ahead.

Considering the carpet texture on the trunk vs. the carpet texture on the sub box are very similar and will both hold to the "hook" side of the velcro. I would rather put the velcro on to the box and leave the gluey residue (from sticky side of vlecro) on the box's carpet.. When you decide to remove the box it'll be easier not to have to worry about the sticky glue on the trunk's carpet.

Plus ifyou stick the velcro to the box you are able to move the box around the trunk to accomidate your trunk items. With the velcro on the trunk floor that's where the box goes, move it off the velcro and it'll start sliding around the back seat.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

I have no "gooey residue" on my trunk mat from over 6 months use
Old 09-18-2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by BIG_KOUT
I have no "gooey residue" on my trunk mat from over 6 months use

have you removed the velcro and found nothing? if so, cool... I thought it might transfer some sticky adhesieve to the carpet making it look slightly different then the rest of the carpet.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

just checked it.........no problems here. Came right up
Old 09-18-2005, 02:10 PM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

I'd still want the flexibility of moving my box around whenever I need to so I'd recommend sticking the velcro onto the box instead of the carpet unless you want to stick the velcro everywhere? I guess that would be cool too, if you bring clothes and stuff in your trunk you can attach them to your carpet?
Old 09-18-2005, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

you can keep being as one sided as you want. It doesnt make a difference to me. More of a pain in the ass to keep taking the sub box out and disconnecting wires anyways. Our trunk and backseat are so big as it is so if u reallllly need to fit something that big in ur trunk just rent a u-haul or have it delivered.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

Originally Posted by BIG_KOUT
you can keep being as one sided as you want. It doesnt make a difference to me. More of a pain in the ass to keep taking the sub box out and disconnecting wires anyways. Our trunk and backseat are so big as it is so if u reallllly need to fit something that big in ur trunk just rent a u-haul or have it delivered.
It's not that I'm not being openminded to another suggestion, I'm just saying that if they both do the same job but one has more pros and less cons, why go with the lesser?
Old 09-18-2005, 04:08 PM
trill recognize trill

i drilled a latch in that i can lock and unlock from home depot? does the job
Old 09-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Cruisin'

When I purchased my car (certified unit), it came with the rubber trunk protector. I just cut-out that mat where I wanted my sub box to sit. So mat itself holds the box where I want it. If I want to sell the car in the future, the next owner will just never know the was once a rubber mat in the trunk.

Lance
Old 09-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Sirlance1969
When I purchased my car (certified unit), it came with the rubber trunk protector. I just cut-out that mat where I wanted my sub box to sit. So mat itself holds the box where I want it. If I want to sell the car in the future, the next owner will just never know the was once a rubber mat in the trunk.

Lance
can you please post pictures of your ingenius fabrication of the mat?