How do I do blacked out headlight

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 10:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do I do blacked out headlight

Can anyone tell meh how to do blacked out headlight..??
I need some specific instruction here.
Thanx-
Old 08-31-2001, 11:24 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Blacked Out??? Like this???
Old 08-31-2001, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

aye..
songoku- can u give meh a specific instruction?? like wut type of paint u use....
Old 08-31-2001, 12:22 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Paint really doesn't matter......I have one of my painter painted it for me. It was PPG DBU 2-stage w/clearcoat. But like I said the problem is how you take H/L apart, not the paint. That's most important & difficult part.

Here is an instruction....
How do you clear your headlights?
Equipment needed:
- hair dryer/heat gun
- large flat head s.c.r.e.w driver
- RTV silicone sealant
- about 4 hours of time
- lotta patience

To remove the orange strip inside the headlight assembly, you have to pry apart the clear front part of the headlight from the back part. After the two pieces are apart, you can remove/break off the orange reflector. After that you have to seal the two back together.

Before beginning, line your car up facing a wall and turn on the headlights. Then mark where the beams hit the wall, so it will easier to adjust them to the proper angle. Take off bumper.
Remove headlights.
Begin by taking the hair dryer/heat gun (on low) to heat up the adhesive that seals the two pieces together. Just slowly heat along the seam of the two pieces to soften up the adhesive. Once it has softened a bit, you can insert a flat head s.c.r.e.w driver into the seam and slowly try to pry apart the two pieces.
Leave the s.c.r.e.w driver in between the pieces and slowly heat along the rest of the seam moving the s.c.r.e.w driver along as you go. Make sure that you soften the adhesive enough and that you work SLOWLY!!
When prying the two pieces apart, you may hear loud crunching noises from the plastic. I can't emphasize enough that you need to take your time.
After the two pieces are apart, you can remove the orange reflector from the headlight assembly. Make sure you do not touch the chrome type reflector or else you will leave fingerprints. If you do happen to touch the reflector, just clean it off w/ some rubbing alcohol or something.
Next thing to do is put the pieces back together. You will need to scrape off most of the remaining adhesive from the seams so that you can get a clean bond. Spread a small bead of the silicone along the seams and press together. Use some tape or something to keep the two pieces together. After about 15 minutes, run a bead of silicone around the outside of the seam to really get it water tight. Make sure not to use big gobs of it, or else the headlight might not fit quite well back into the bumper.
Do the same thing for the other side.
You should let them dry overnight. Do not use heat to try and dry them faster, because the heat will sorta liquify the silicone. The silicone needs to air cure.
Reinstall the headlights/bumper.
I think you could use a Dremel type tool to take the two pieces apart, but I haven't seen anyone do it