How bad is Detroit winter on car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 10:36 AM
bluLEGEND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How bad is Detroit winter on car?

How bad is the salt and snow on the stock alloys? What about the paint? Any tips?

What do you recommend for wheels/tires?

Should I use 16" TL-P wheels and snow tires (Dunlop M3 215/55/16)? Or should I get the ContiExtremeContact tires for my stock TL-S rims? I need new tires soon anyways.

Do they make all-weather mats for the back? When I look in the Accessories section they only show for the front. Are the grooves deep enough in the one they offer here?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2003, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

You can put a sealant like Zaino or Klasse SG on your rims. If I had 2 sets of rims, I would use the 16s for the winter. I only have the 17s so I will take them off, wash, clay, wash, zaino them during the next few weeks.

I have all weather mats in the fronts and backs. They have the word Cannon on them with a red stripe around.
Here's a place where you can get them. My GF bought them for me, but these are the same ones.
http://www.properautocare.com/enfloormat.html

You might want to check out some clear protectant like Xpel or Armourglove for the front of your car to help shield it from the rough weather.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
nothing special ...

Hey ...

I live across the border in Windsor. Weather's pretty much identical (but ... Windsor is further SOUTH than Detroit! HA!) I run on the stock OEM Michelin Pilot Sport MXM H4s without problems. (45000km = 29000mi) They say once you run 1/2 way through your all-season treads, they're no longer rated 'all season'. There's hardly any snow here (but a lot more out in the northern 'burbs) and I don't bother with dedicated snow tires.

Salting of the roads is pretty bad. I load up on Zaino in the summertime / early fall (at least 6 coats) on the car, maybe a couple coats on the rims. Should be no problems, otherwise. One thing about my car -- it's garage stored when I'm not working. Helps A LOT.

If cost is a concern, just get new all seasons for your TL-S rims (they say Sumitomo or the Continentals are the way to go). If you wanna go 16s, then you probably have a few more options.

IMHO, you're running FWD, so you have better traction ... you can get away with all-seasons. Save the $$$ from other rims and get other mods ...

- derrick

PS If you live in the northern 'burbs and drive a lot of highway miles ... maybe the dedicated snows might be the way to go ...
Old 10-01-2003, 04:51 PM
Racer

If you need new tires anyway

get the sumitomos (sp?) set of 4 is 300 bucks and they are better than the OEMs (from what I have seen/read/heard).

Salt is deadly to your paint/rims. Your rims are more of a target since they will be getting the worst of the snow/salt/dirt.

Your rims are clear coated so like the other posters said, Zaino (or my preference Platinum Ulitmate Paint Protection). two or three coats should keep you protected in the winter months - same goes for the car.

If you have garage then (what I do in winter) - when I get home I do one of two things. Quick Detail (my preference is Platinum Ultimate Gloss Enhancer) if the filth is not too bad or this..

Fill a bucket with Warm water and get yourself two Microfiber towels.

Get one damp in the bucket and wring it out. Wipe down one section at a time then dry it off with the dry MF towel. Take the damp towel and rinse it out in the bucket, wring it out again and do another section...and so on.

The Damp/wet MF towel will pick up all the dirt/salt./grime (if you have a good layer of wax/polish what have you it is that much easier)..and not harm your paint (turn the damp MF towel frequently if it picks up too much dirt)..

Your car will look just washed every day...then if you can make it to a car wash once in a while do that (touchless with an air drying system and no attendants wiping it down with used towels!! avoid the swirls and scratches).
Old 10-01-2003, 04:58 PM
bluLEGEND

I already have the 16s. Should I just get the Contis on the 17s and see how they go? And if I need to I can put snows on the 16s later, if not sell them? I may drive to Toronto a couple times in the winter to visit relatives.

I'm just worried my 17s will get all jacked up and rusted. I live in downtown so I can't really take my wheels off and zaino them nicely. I put a coat on 2 weeks ago, body and wheels. But I do park my car in a covered parking garage.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:38 PM
bluLEGEND

Anyone else in the Detroit area?
Old 10-03-2003, 05:14 PM
6th Gear

I Live In Macomb Township
Old 10-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

The Detroit area is hard on cars any time of the year!
Old 10-04-2003, 03:01 AM
bluLEGEND

Tell me about it...

But, I'm focusing on the coming winter.

I'm in downtown btw. I might lean toward getting the snow tires just for peace of mind. But I wonder if the ContiExtremes would be more than good enough for the winter.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

ContiExtremes should be fine.