Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
Arrow hot or not?

what do you think of this everyone....

Old 06-04-2002, 10:22 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Bumpers. I could do without the paint job. Is it yours?
Old 06-04-2002, 10:23 AM
Racer

Although I would never do that to my car I must say that it looks pretty cool.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:24 AM
Mr. Self Destruct

I think it looks really clean. For SHOW I like it. I especially like the white paint in the grill. Looks smooth.

For daily use, flames may be too much.

Overall Grade "A".
Old 06-04-2002, 10:26 AM
No, you are a dork.

yuck. wait til you get a rock chip...
Old 06-04-2002, 10:29 AM
Drifting

Flames on a TL? That is like exhaust upgrade on a Yugo. Not my cup of tea but whatever floats your boat.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:35 AM
Racer

i like your car, really like the molded bodykit. The flames would look better on a pt cruiser
Old 06-04-2002, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

Looks interesting without door handles. The flames are a bit much for me but the car looks pretty good.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:39 AM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My Comment

No comment.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:49 AM
Burning Brakes

where can i get my bodykit molded like that?
Old 06-04-2002, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm going to have to go with not. Flames are for 57 Chevys and the like, not Acuras.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:20 AM
10th Gear

Not my cup of tea, but it definitely makes a statement.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:31 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw the car on Sunday and I liked the way the flames looked. Personally I wouldn't do it but seeing it on your car I thought it looked good.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:54 AM
Pro

Not.

axleback
Old 06-04-2002, 12:21 PM
Racer

:yack:
Old 06-04-2002, 01:00 PM
2Lo
Instructor

AstroBoy... Isht looks hott. Good job
Old 06-04-2002, 01:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally posted by ferizzo
I saw the car on Sunday and I liked the way the flames looked. Personally I wouldn't do it but seeing it on your car I thought it looked good.
I agree... if you would have told me last week that you had flames on your car, I would have thought you were nuts. Pictures really don't do it justice... you have to see it in person. It is soooo pimp. The only thing I would change is that I would make the flames a little more white... to create more of a ghost flame effect.

Everyone has to remember that this is a show car, so wild wins prizes. The flames are pretty tasteful. You really need to see it in person.

As for the shaved handles.... totally hot. Makes the clean lines of the TL even cleaner. Really nice......
Old 06-04-2002, 01:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just a suggestion.....when I saw it at the meet, the first thing that popped in my mind was to have the grill the same color as the flames....you know what I mean

The whole flame theme begining from the front/center(grill).
Old 06-04-2002, 02:07 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
you guys are such pansies!

I personally think Robb's car, paint job included, is one of the hottest things I have ever seen.

In pictures, on the road, and at a show.

This car is amazing... and even more so in motion.

Now, don't go on with the "Robb's your boy you gotta say that" cuz it aint the truth. Many of my friends do some totally gay **** and I make sure they know I think so :devil:

If Robb had gone and painted some blue lighting bolts on there... I woulda busted his balls until he drove that ***** home and came back to smack me around with the 911.

BUT... this thing is a seriously DOPE car. The colors are perfect... the paint, the grille, the flames.

The body work is IMMACULATE. Not a single dimple in the paint... and the **** is as smooth as freshly waxed poon.

This car is a work of art. The only thing bad I have to say about it is the fact that PARKING NEXT TO IT ROBBED ME!!! LOL.

MAJOR props to Robb for having the balls, & creativity to pull this off.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:14 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Originally posted by soopa
you guys are such pansies!

This car is a work of art. The only thing bad I have to say about it is the fact that PARKING NEXT TO IT ROBBED ME!!! LOL.

MAJOR props to Robb for having the balls, & creativity to pull this off.
dude, I dunno, I was at least able to snap a few pics of my car thruout the day, your car was surrounded constantly, I never got a clean shot of it

I appreciate the comments, and I don't mind if you don't like it, cuz I sure as hell do!

I am going to redo the sides of the car, to have the flames extend thru the front doors and halfway into the rear doors as well, to create a smoother flow and because they look SO good.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:48 PM
Instructor

i like it...sometimes you have to think outside the box.. he has to hottest tl i ever seen inside & out..i'm jealous because i don't hav e the funds to keep up with him
Old 06-04-2002, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by AJay
Although I would never do that to my car I must say that it looks pretty cool.
I agree, it does look very smooth
Old 06-04-2002, 03:40 PM
No, you are a dork.

Originally posted by juniorbean

It is soooo pimp.
exactly. that is why i dont like it.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:42 PM
Banned

I love the car, shaved door handles are DOPE. I like the flames, they dont look over done. its not like he has red flames. Only think i dont like are the rims. With a show car like that you need somthing a little more flashy. :p
Old 06-04-2002, 03:52 PM
Bada Bing

I saw the car at the PAA meet and i must say i wasn't impressed...disappointed actually would be the better way to put it. With all the hype the car was getting I expected more. The molded body kit was nice and the choice of stereo equipment was solid but the stereo execution I thought could have been better. The flames I didn't care for at all...but being that you went with it I would have carried them through the front doors since you had them on your mirrors and down the front bumper of the car at least. They didn't leave the front fenders and never touched the bumpers...it just kind of died. The shaved handles I thought was a bit much...being that the car is so large the handles are nice to break things up...I think you'd have been better off painting them body color.

All in all I'd have to say not. But then again, that's my opinion.
Old 06-04-2002, 04:13 PM
Racer

HEY thats me in the pic!!!
well anyway, the guy must think it's a 'stang or something with the flames, but that does not belong on a TL IMO the car is overdone. would not spend $20K on a stereo/video stuff. could buy a lex or a bimmer with that kind of dough.
Old 06-04-2002, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Avirex34
IMO the car is overdone. would not spend $20K on a stereo/video stuff. could buy a lex or a bimmer with that kind of dough.
You do have to remember that it's being built as a show car. Spending $20k and going all out is what it's about. Actually, spending $20k is usually not a lot compared to some of the setups out there. Taking that money and buying a stock Lexus or BMW will not take home trophies at shows. Things like a one of a kind TL, regardless of how overdone, will bring in the trophies and $$.....
Old 06-04-2002, 04:39 PM
Instructor

looks all right, not my style thou, but remember you got to see things with your own eyes to appreciate it. not some pictures.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:11 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finally saw that car in person at the PAA meet. The car was perfect EXCEPT for the flame job.

BTW astroboy, have you entered any contest yet? If yes, did you win?
Old 06-04-2002, 05:38 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Lightbulb

Originally posted by SlyTLS
I saw the car at the PAA meet and i must say the stereo execution I thought could have been better. The flames I didn't care for at all...but being that you went with it I would have carried them through the front doors since you had them on your mirrors and down the front bumper of the car at least. All in all I'd have to say not. But then again, that's my opinion.
you're totally welcome to your opinion, and I appreciate it, now let me clarify a few things...

firstly, I'd like to know how you would do the stereo differently, cuz IMO, it's perfect.

second, the reason for the flames only being on the hood and fenders is that none of us had ANY idea what it would look like, and therefore we chose the cautious road, in case they needed to be deleted.
Now that I have seen the quality of the work, and how good the actually look in person, we are going to redo the flames, they will extend thru the front doors and into the rear doors, we will also carry them thru the bumper and grille.

I of course realize that for showing, the Volks just won't cut it, but if I need to actually drive the car, those rims are the best choice on the planet IMHO...I will be getting some dubs or dronnels in 19 or 20", have no doubt.

binh: I picked the car up from the body shop on Friday and left for New Jersey....so I haven't entered any shows yet, I think the first one will be the week after next, as I'm in MTL this weekend for the Formula one race...
Old 06-04-2002, 05:49 PM
Burning Brakes

2 thumbs UP
Old 06-04-2002, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

no one answered my ques

where can i get my kit molded like that?
Old 06-04-2002, 09:00 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Originally posted by WiLz
no one answered my ques

where can i get my kit molded like that?
find a local bodyshop that can work with polyeurethane...
Old 06-04-2002, 10:56 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by Astroboy

binh: I picked the car up from the body shop on Friday and left for New Jersey....so I haven't entered any shows yet, I think the first one will be the week after next, as I'm in MTL this weekend for the Formula one race...
Good luck and represent for all of us! With all the stuff you've invested in your TL-S, you better win. Don't worry, there's no pressure from us.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

i like! how much did the rear bumper cost?
Old 06-05-2002, 04:28 AM
Instructor

Man, I really like your car. The molded kit, shaved handles, flames (I think the color really matched). Good luck in the shows
Old 06-05-2002, 04:37 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

Thumbs up

Love the tint! I need to go 5% for sure! I think you need some wood up in there too!!, I wanna see a wood steering wheel, shifter, and dash!! I also wanna see some screens in the headrests, and then some super-duper 19 or 20 chromies. Then Nitrous and a Supercharger
Damn, that must be aproaching 70-80K when you add it all up...:/ :/

thats probably all the crazy stuff i would do.

Looks nice except the flames would look THE BEST if they were ghost or some crazy pearl.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:50 AM
Bada Bing

Originally posted by Astroboy

you're totally welcome to your opinion, and I appreciate it, now let me clarify a few things...

firstly, I'd like to know how you would do the stereo differently, cuz IMO, it's perfect.

second, the reason for the flames only being on the hood and fenders is that none of us had ANY idea what it would look like, and therefore we chose the cautious road, in case they needed to be deleted.
Now that I have seen the quality of the work, and how good the actually look in person, we are going to redo the flames, they will extend thru the front doors and into the rear doors, we will also carry them thru the bumper and grille.
Astroboy don't get me wrong I'm not ripping your ride. I just would have done things differently as I did (the Aegean Blue TL-S with the fiberglass trunk).

The stereo was clean and the craftmanship was good but too many people have vynl...I would have gone with fiberglass which stands out more. Also I didn't like the 2-tone look. I think it would have flowed better if it were all the same color as the lighter portion of the interior. The gold ACURA Type-S badge...got to go. Sticks out like a sore thumb, doesn't fit the trunk's clean look. Overall the layout was great, they found a way to mount a lot of equipment in a small space.

I can understand wanting to be causcious but if you're going to do it, do it completely rather than 1/2 way. It could have turned out looking bad when done 1/2 way and may have in turn looked awesome complete. If you do the entire nose in the same color as the flames and flare it out into flames it would IMO look a hell of a lot better. By the way...I don't recommend extending the flames to the back doors, it might be too much since the car is big. I would just take them into the front doors and leave the back 1/2 of the car normal.

Good luck at the shows, I'm sure you'll win some trophies. Hope to see you next year at PAA.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:12 AM
Burning Brakes

is it really that great to win a plastic trophy? Maybe I should get some flames. Good job on the car being original, but that doesn't mean I like it.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Exclamation

Originally posted by accordv6
is it really that great to win a plastic trophy? Maybe I should get some flames. Good job on the car being original, but that doesn't mean I like it.
I shouldn't even acknowledge this post with a reply... but I will.

It's not all about the trophy. It's about exposure (magazines, etc.) and money. You don't just win a plastic trophy... you can win a ton of cash too. You also gain respect within the different organizations. That means something to some people too. Plus, you don't always win a trophy.. sometimes it's a plaque ......

Seriously though, to reply like that means a couple of things.... you have no competativeness in you, you do not get satisfaction of a job well done... whether you do it yourself or it's your idea and a shop does it, or you just aren't into cars that much. Those are all generalizations obviously, of which, none could be true, but for you to reply like that... I can't be far off.

Quick Reply: hot or not?