HomeLink Garage MOD (Key Needed)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 04:31 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY: HomeLink Garage MOD (Key Needed)

This "MOD" is a "Mod" by SOUTHERN *Original Post *.

He as well as many of us don't feel safe with our Homelink system being used by a thief to enter our own house. So SOUTHERN moded the Homelink to activate only with the key in the ON II position by tapping the power wire from the auto dimming mirror. The problem with this is that the map lights use the same power wire, so the side effect is that you can't use the map light unless your key is in ON II. That is a problem for me since use my map light quite often with out the key. So here is the mod:

1) To remove the HomeLink(HL)/sunlglass holder(SGH) module, you will use a philips (+) to remove 2 screws. Then you have to remove the clear lens to remove the other 2 screws. I just use a knife blade to prey it out. And remove the two screw. Disconnected the wire harness

*The pictures will look different from what you have, I added foil tape to further enhace the reflectivity of the map light. And it does work.*

2) Remove the 2 bulbs by twisting the holder counterclockwise,

3) Then remove the 2 switch covers by pressing the two tabs

4) Them remove the switch by preying it out with a flat screw driver. Just stick it in and do a turning motion, pilot in and out to completly remove it.

5) You can now see that Honda sells this entire unit as one piece, the HL system is built into the SGH. They joined HL and SGH by melting the pastic to "fuse" the two pieces together. So I drilled in the middle of the two melted pieces; i then took a razor blade to remove the plastic that was actually holding it together. This will allow you to lift up that portion.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:34 AM
Instructor

6)DO NOT PULL ON IT, there is a wire connector that is still connected to the SGH. Next step is to remove the black cover. Flip to the upper side and push in the 4 tabs to release it. After removing the black cover, you can then slide the plastic holder from the Integrated Circuit (IC)

7) From the picture, PIN 1 is ground and PIN 3 is Power/Live/12V. So what we need to do is block the 12V comming in from the wire harness which doesn't require key to use. Just use electrical tap to insulate the 12V lead on the plastic picece.

8) Then you have to get a piece of wire, preferably 6-8 inch. not too long. Just enough length for you to put back and take out the unit. Strip the ends, and "turn/spin" the bare strainds of wire with ur finger to get then togehter. There is a small hole on PIN 3 on the IC where you can slip the wire through. Do that and tape it up to secure it. The tape can be on PIN 2 and PIN 3, pin 2 is not used.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:36 AM
Instructor

9) Then slip the plastic cover back on and work the new wire through.

10) Since you already cut the plastic that fuses the two pieces. You can 1. get a glue gun and get some on the original place *I ran out of glue sticks so i had option 2. Red duct tape around the shown area will hold it in place securely, maybe more securely then the glue gun.

11)What you need to do next is to attach the new power wire to the 12V wire of the auto dimming mirror(ADM) that only comes on when the key is inserted and in position ON II. Strip alittle of the plastic covering of the 12V wire of the ADM, which is yellow wire. Tap the new power wire there and tape it up. Screw the 4 screws back and ur done.

Now, HomeLink will only activte with the key in the ON II position and your map lights will still work without the key. Yes, HomeLink will still works when the car is running. If you don't care about the map light, follow SOUTHERN's instructions
Old 01-19-2004, 04:43 AM
Banned

You guys know that there is a lock switch on most (if not all) garage door openers right? You guys just flip/slide the switch and it won't open, I do that everynight. Seems less work then going thru all this.

Good job on the DIY. pixs makes a DIY 100x easier.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by hzm82
You guys know that there is a lock switch on most (if not all) garage door openers right? You guys just flip/slide the switch and it won't open, I do that everynight. Seems less work then going thru all this.

that's what I was thinking. How about make it even harder for burglar's to come in your house and lock your freakin doors. I don't know about you guys, but a robber can sure as hell come through my garage, but good luck getting into my house. My TL-S stays in my garage, and our van also has this homelink system. I have the TL-S always locked and in the garage all year round, so he couldn't steal the car, and if he wants to get in the house, he has to break through out medeco dead bolt lock (my mom's very paranoid, she bought the best lock). So I don't really care if they come snooping around my garage. They'll quickly realize there's no point to entering my garage and probably end up leaving.

good luck to those doing this mod. BTW you did a good job with the instructions, even me with very little background about wiring and sh*t, and I would feel confident doing this.

good job!
Old 01-19-2004, 08:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GREAT mod....I will sticky this and then add it to the DIY section...thanks!
Old 01-19-2004, 08:58 AM
Instructor

HZM82,
Hmmmm...never thought about that. heheheh
Old 01-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by hzm82

yeah..but that doest really work with familes like mine since all 5 of us walk throught the garage to get into the house at radom times....alot of itmes in the middle of the night....so this mod is pretty practical for some people....altho i dont need it cause two of our cars are garaged, the third one isnt..but crimes not a big deal in my area
Old 01-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally posted by sc354
that's what I was thinking. How about make it even harder for burglar's to come in your house and lock your freakin doors. I don't know about you guys, but a robber can sure as hell come through my garage, but good luck getting into my house. My TL-S stays in my garage, and our van also has this homelink system. I have the TL-S always locked and in the garage all year round, so he couldn't steal the car, and if he wants to get in the house, he has to break through out medeco dead bolt lock (my mom's very paranoid, she bought the best lock). So I don't really care if they come snooping around my garage. They'll quickly realize there's no point to entering my garage and probably end up leaving.

good luck to those doing this mod. BTW you did a good job with the instructions, even me with very little background about wiring and sh*t, and I would feel confident doing this.

good job!
Well if i were a robber, i'd use ur homelink to get into ur garage then once inside the garage close the garage door so no one will see me in there. then i'd kick in ur door since the weekest part is the door jam and not the lock (if im lucky u might have some tools in ur garage that i can use to break in the house or help me strip down ur car). if that does not work i'd jump on the roof of you car, hop up and down on it to put some since dents in ur roof before i climb into ur addic and bust thru the ceiling sheetrock.

Of course I would never do that but it helps to think like one.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:33 AM
Instructor

HAHAHAA LOL
Old 01-20-2004, 11:15 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by jpadilla
Well if i were a robber, i'd use ur homelink to get into ur garage then once inside the garage close the garage door so no one will see me in there. then i'd kick in ur door since the weekest part is the door jam and not the lock (if im lucky u might have some tools in ur garage that i can use to break in the house or help me strip down ur car). if that does not work i'd jump on the roof of you car, hop up and down on it to put some since dents in ur roof before i climb into ur addic and bust thru the ceiling sheetrock.

Of course I would never do that but it helps to think like one.
austin tx....thats atleast 1500 miles away from me....im still safe
Old 01-22-2004, 11:54 AM
2002 TL Type S

Originally posted by sc354
I don't know about you guys, but a robber can sure as hell come through my garage, but good luck getting into my house. So I don't really care if they come snooping around my garage.
I wouldn't want anyone in my garage snooping around. I store tools, cars, etc. in my garage.

Oh well, my homelink vehicle is locked in a garage every day/night so I really don't have to worry about them getting into my garage. I also lock the door that leads into the house, I have an alarm system, and if all else fails a .357 with hollow points that will stop a thief in his tracks. Not to mention I work out of my home during the day so they'd have to be retarded to break into my house.

Anyway, that's a nice mod if you park your car outside.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Instructor

04AcuraTL6speed,

Nice job with the mod and description.

I didn't want to go through all of the additional wiring modifications since I don't use the map lights unless I have the key in the ignition.

I actually prefer to have the map lights only come on with the ignition since if I forget to manually turn them off it won't drain the battery.

Regarding the comments about garage door lock switch and keeping the car in the garage - Keep in mind that the homelink modification was intended for the rare occasion that the car is parked outside. Without the homelink system if my car was parked outside I would just take the garage door remote out of the car and keep it inside the house. With the homelike you cant do this and I didn't like the fact that it was powered up with the key out of the ignition - hence the modification.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:03 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the idea Southern, never thought about doing it if it wasn't for u
Old 01-29-2004, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice mod.

I feel ok, both of our cars are garaged, and never sit outside.

That is pretty creative though.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:38 AM
17/TLX/Adv/FBP

Interesting thread... I'd imagine you could just sit outside someones driveway, and program your homelink when they open the door just as you do for your own door? I wonder if the signal would be strong enough for that.