HKS Dragger or Thermal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 12:38 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS Dragger or Thermal?

I have a 2002 TLS and am thinking about getting a new exhaust system. 500 bucks sounds about right for me, so I was debating between the HKS Dragger Axle-Back System and the Thermal R&D Axle-Back Exhaust System. Which do you guys suggest? and why? I'm really stuck on this one. Does anyone know of any problems with one of them compared to the other. I am looking for a sound that is deep and not EXTREMELY loud, but good to hear. I don't want it to be loud when I am cruising on the freeway. Any suggestions? Thanks

By the way I have the OEM body kit, which exhaust fits better? I don't want it to hang to low or for them to be too short for the kit, I really don't want a melting bumper :-) Let me know. Thanks
Old 08-13-2002, 01:14 PM
Drifting

Re: HKS Dragger or Thermal?

Originally posted by GaddAMIT
I have a 2002 TLS and am thinking about getting a new exhaust system. 500 bucks sounds about right for me, so I was debating between the HKS Dragger Axle-Back System and the Thermal R&D Axle-Back Exhaust System. Which do you guys suggest? and why? I'm really stuck on this one. Does anyone know of any problems with one of them compared to the other. I am looking for a sound that is deep and not EXTREMELY loud, but good to hear. I don't want it to be loud when I am cruising on the freeway. Any suggestions? Thanks

By the way I have the OEM body kit, which exhaust fits better? I don't want it to hang to low or for them to be too short for the kit, I really don't want a melting bumper :-) Let me know. Thanks
I haven't seen enough pics of the TL with the Dragers to say if I like them or not, but I think they maybe a little too big for the TL. As far as sound...I've never heard the Thermal R&D and never even seen a pic of them. The Dragers sound nice...deep growl bass...but only at low rpms. I know the Greddy Evo will melt your bumber...not sure about the Dragers...they may be recessed slightly in with the stock oem kit...so you may have to have them professionally leghtened. I love the sound of the Dragers for sure. Oh and also the Dragers hang low too...I've had mine recently put up higher...but I have to watch out to make sure the exhaust heat is not going to melt my bumper. Click on link for a pic of my car in the garage with my friend's car...you might be able to get an idea of how the Dragers might look from behind. Also click on Dragers in my link to see how far they stick out on my car...keep in mind the TL sticks out farther and with the kit...even farther. BTW, the Dragers were designed for the Accord v6.

http://itsupport.sjsu.edu/~rbui/Cars/TL_CL/CL_TL_49.jpg.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:33 PM
8th Gear

Tell why do you say the Greddy's will melt the bumper of the TL! Are you sayingthat if you order the Cl kit they will because they are too short or is it the honda accord kit you are using. Thanks for the feed back as I am trying to get some cans on my 03 TL'S. I dont care for the comptechs too small too quiet. Are the draggers and the Greddy's a direct bolt on for the TL or should I expect to make mods.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:06 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by POPEYE
Tell why do you say the Greddy's will melt the bumper of the TL! Are you sayingthat if you order the Cl kit they will because they are too short or is it the honda accord kit you are using. Thanks for the feed back as I am trying to get some cans on my 03 TL'S. I dont care for the comptechs too small too quiet. Are the draggers and the Greddy's a direct bolt on for the TL or should I expect to make mods.
The reason why I know the Greddy will melt the bumper on a TL with body kit is because I met someone on Sunday while I was getting my headers installed who had a melted bumper. After talking with him, he was like yea it comes out too short and the exhaust heat melts it. Unfortunately I didn't have a digicam to get a pic of it. There are currently no available kits (other than the JT Style one, but that's just ugly) for the CL. The Dragers are pretty much direct bolt on. THe Greddy, I'm not 100% sure...but I do recall someone mentioning on this board that you do have to make some slight modifications. Not sure what the modification required is.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:01 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the quick response! I can't decide what to do for my TLS exhaust, I want it louder then the COmp tech mufflers and to look better, Yours looks awesome, its not to short. How loud is it! I drive all day and I dont want it to be so that a I cant hear on the cell because that how I make a living ! If any one has instaaled cat back or mufflers on their TL other then comptechs that are a direct bolt on I would sure appreciate the info.

What do you mean the draggers are pretty much direct botl on! Are they cat back? and are you saying for a TL or Cl just wanted to confirm
Old 08-14-2002, 01:41 PM
Racer

Axle Back

Wait aren't the thermal r&d and HKS dragger's both axle back.....does that mean just mufflers or does that mean the entire exhaust system?? I'm always confused on this? If someone could straighten this out...thanks :-)
Old 08-14-2002, 02:08 PM
Advanced

axle back means JUST the muffler. catback includes the B pipe, which is where the real bottlenecks are.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:46 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by POPEYE
Thanks for the quick response! I can't decide what to do for my TLS exhaust, I want it louder then the COmp tech mufflers and to look better, Yours looks awesome, its not to short. How loud is it! I drive all day and I dont want it to be so that a I cant hear on the cell because that how I make a living ! If any one has instaaled cat back or mufflers on their TL other then comptechs that are a direct bolt on I would sure appreciate the info.

What do you mean the draggers are pretty much direct botl on! Are they cat back? and are you saying for a TL or Cl just wanted to confirm
Sorry this one took longer to respond...i don't frequent the TL board as much as the CL . As far as sound...some people claim the Comptechs are louder...but the Dragers for sure have a much deeper bass sound to it. I love the sound...very aggressive. You can hear the cell, but in the background of everything...you will hear your exhaust until 3000rpm when it goes off...but when your cruising at 80mph...your rpms are roughly at 2500rpm so you will hear it. As far as any other exhaust...HKS has their universals that should fit too. But Greddy, Comptech, and HKS are the only ones that mainly make exhaust for the two cars for now.