high pressure wash the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high pressure wash the engine?

is there any precautions i have to take in washing the motor? (electrical wires and etc.)

i guess this question is for those who have washed their engines.

thanks
Old 02-05-2002, 01:57 PM
Racer

don't use a high pressure wash and don't aim directly for any wires or hoses...they're tough, and probably sealed, but why risk it. Be gentle, more force doesn't make it better.

try to make sure the engine is warm...if it's hot and you use cold water you probably won't do any damage (but it could warp parts - like hot pans in the sink), but the sizzle doesn't sound like it'd be good.

there are engine degreesers and other items on the market that will make cleaning easier, or you can use simple green, but some people say that will dull the finish.

you can also steam it clean...some guys on a maxima forum did it to their cars, but that's a bit extreme in my opinion.

finally, check out www.carcareonline.com - there's a section on how to clean engine bays
Old 02-05-2002, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Hey...
First of all I would recommend the only way to clean your engine is get a wet towel and clean it part by part (which would take forever...but is the safest way) and you can also use armor-all.

But if you want to high pressure wash to clean your engine you could but cover up the air filter, distributer, and any wires. But doing this often will have cause damage to parts...eventually.

Old 02-05-2002, 05:12 PM
Drifting

You can spray areas in your engine compartment with degreaser then rinse it off. Just be sure to cover up your alternator, wires, and any other electrical parts. I would not recommend high pressure, but at home just use your hose and carefully spray off the degreaser.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Instructor

Steam cleaning your enging is the best bet. The only thing you need to do is watch where you aim. They detailers at the merecedes dealership were cleaning the enging on my mom's ML and they hit the box that contained all the electrical components and fried it.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:39 PM
Drifting

Don't use high pressure water on your engine, ever. I agree with Acura_boi that the safest way to clean your engine is with a towel. Steam cleaning your engine should be a last resort, as it still has the potential of damaging your electrical components.

Clean your engine with a towel each time you wash your car. You'll be surprised how clean it will remain if you're diligent.
Old 02-06-2002, 02:14 PM
Advanced

I agree with Acura_Boi and daverman.

I've personally handwashed my TL for over a year (it's good exercise) and the final step is to damp wipe the following items:

- the door sills, perimeter, and gaskets (10 min.)
- all around the edges of the the trunk lid and the gutter surrounding the trunk opening (3 min)
- all around the edges of the hood, the pneumatic struts, air intake grill, and the plastic panel in front of the radiator (3 min.)
- the major and obvious areas in the engine compartment like the battery and air filter covers, the top of the engine, strut towers, the fuse box, washer reservoir, etc. (5 min.)

An extra 20 minutes, each time you wash the car, goes a long way towards preventing the build-up of heavy-duty crud.

If you plan to show your car in a competition, well, then something more extreme is called for. Otherwise, regular damp wiping of the major areas will make an amazing difference.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:18 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by TheBigLaguna An extra 20 minutes, each time you wash the car, goes a long way towards preventing the build-up of heavy-duty crud.
Wow, it's the same technique I use!