High performance test drive of TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post High performance test drive of TL-S

Got a drive over the weekend in a TL-S with the OEM body kit. I'll let others comment on the looks unless anyone has any specific questions. I will focus on the driving.

Keep in mind, I am approaching this purely from a performance perspective - my regular cars being a Prelude VTEC, S2000 and NSX.

Sportshift
This is probably one of the best automatic transmissions out there - the gear shift times are very very quick. Probably faster than most similar systems out there - whether in auto or manual modes - the shifts are just fast (faster in manual mode). As most of you know, the 00 TL's would automatically upshift from 1st to 2nd at redline even in manual mode. The 02's added a BAD feature - it even upshifts to 2nd if you let off the throttle even if in manual mode in 1st. To its credit, the moment you stomp the accelerator while in 2nd, it automatically and very very quickly downshifts to 1st and very seamless too. Did I say it downshifts very very quickly? So, the speed of the shifts and the quality of the shifts at both full and part throttle in either auto or manual modes are excellent (though of different quality in each mode). The other nagging thing about the SS transmissions I never liked is that the torque converters are tuned for a lot of rev play - ie, in any given gear at any speed, if you step on the accelerator more, the tach jumps up 500+rpm before the torque converter locks - sapping power in the process. I was hoping they would have fixed this in the type S.

Steering
The torque sensing steering, in combination with the lower profile tires, provide excellent feedback - definitely as good as a Prelude and very close to an S2000 and the power steering'd NSX's. Though, under hard acceleration in 1st gear, you do get a bit of torque steer if the road is less than even. At speed, the steering feel is great (even at the limit) and provides good turn in and response. The weighting of the power assist is just right - not too light like the non-TypeS TL's. BTW, one excellent improvement for the 02 TL's is that the horn can now be actuated from the edge of the center pad of the steering - unlike in the previous years where you had to take your hand off the wheel and reach for the center of the pad. Also, the TL's horn sounds great - have to remember to order some for my other Hondas.

Suspension
Probably the best tuned stock suspension for a regular Honda/Acura product in a front wheel drive vehicle - comparable to the latest Prelude (Integra Type R does not count ). The suspension feedback was excellent at the limit - allowing a lift throttle to steer the rear end and letting you feel exactly what the front and rear tires were doing - for a 4 door sedan that is not rear wheel drive, this is great. Some may say the ride is harsh but I think it is exactly the right compromise for those of us more performance oriented drivers (where is that manual transmission!)

Engine
The acceleration is great - as someone pointed out - it certainly pulls harder in 1st and 2nd compared to the current and previous generation Prelude VTEC's. Turn off VSA and you can spin the front tires easily in 1st gear. The engine note is sporty but no comparison to the S2000, NSX or even the Prelude, unfortunately. The 6.3 secs that someone else posted sounds about right based on my seat of the pants comparison with my other cars.

Ergonomics
The only point I am going to cover here is that the seat is not as snug as the CL Type S seat - it seams a bit wider for both the seat back and bottom and thus does not hold the driver in as well - the seat bottom is also not as good for lateral support to keep the driver from shifting around during hard cornering. The side mirrors look more like the BMW 3 series ones in shape and profile of the unit from the driver's seat.

Would I get one? Only if it comes with a 6 speed manual transmission - the lack of one seems to be the only flaw...

Old 03-19-2001, 09:50 PM
Advanced

s2ktaxi, excellent and thorough reviews of the TL-S! Especially coming from someone who has an awesome selection Hondas and Acura. I saw your other post in response to the suspension of the TL-S suspension, and you and I are on the same page. Both the CL and TL Type S models are for "performance," as compared to the CL and TL. It appears that you were able to test drive the TL-S for a while. I have one coming in at the end of this month, but must admit that I'm going to re-test drive the 330i (with sport package), as well as the TL-S again, as they are both heavy on my mind.
Old 03-20-2001, 05:35 PM
Instructor

If I weren't as sold on Honda quality and reliability not to mention standardization of the driver controls, I would take a 330i over a TL-S. The RWD and the manual transmission are a big plus on the 330i and to me, probably worth the $5-8k price difference.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:39 PM
Advanced

s2ktaxi. I just had a thorough re-test drive the 330i (non-sport and sport packages) today, and here's my finding. The 330i non-sport had much less road feel, and I felt less confident when driving it under high performance conditions, as compared to the sport version. The sport version was great, but just a tad too much road feel to me.

I've decided to stick with the TL-S because I could not justify the price for the vehicles, despite the great performance and driveability of the 330i sports. Furthermore, I'll be financing the TL-S versus leasing the 330i. Lastly, to order a 330i with Navi (CD-based) and cold climate package would take 60 - 90 days.

I also got a call this afternoon from my Acura dealer with the VIN for my incoming TL-S. So, this morning, as a result of test driving both 330i(s), I effectively put my demons to rest regarding the 330i and will stay with the TL-S!