Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HIDs Under Scrutiny

fyi...

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...complaints.htm
Old 05-06-2002, 01:16 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just put these ppl who "hates" HIDs behind the wheel of a car with HIDs. One drive and they will fall in love.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:06 PM
Cruisin'

Simple solution: Driver's Ed 101 - don't look into the on-coming light.

I find that trucks/SUVs/vans w/ halogens are worse than any passenger car w/ HIDs. However, since I subscribe to the aforementioned solution, it doesn't keep me from driving my Ford Lightning.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:31 PM
Instructor

I believe that part of the problem is people who modify factory headlights with aftermarket blue coated halogen bulbs and the average person confuses these lights with the legit HID's. a few can spoil it for many. This controversy has been going on in California for over a year now. One good thing is that the people who ultimately make dissisions wether HID's stay or not are the well paid people at the top who most of them drive nice cars equipted with HID's. I bet more of the people who complain probally don't drive cars equipted with HID's
Old 05-06-2002, 02:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

The problem is the fact that these idiots are attracted to the light like Moths and stare right at it......IMO.

The HID lights I have used (incl. my TL) have a clear line where it is cuts off the beam. If adjusted correctly, it does not shine onto oncoming traffic.

Just like Halogens, if miss adjusted it will glare on to oncoming traffic..........just the intensity is allot stronger.
Who knows, maybe they will enforce headlight adjustment/aim more now during the annual inspections.

Some people need to complain just to live
Old 05-06-2002, 03:21 PM
Racer

Sorry guys, but I think these people have a valid complaint. Personally, I think the HID's are a bit distracting. I find it tough to see the road when a car with HID's is headed toward me. If the HID's were an option I probably would not have gotten them especially with the high theft rate.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:31 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I disagree. I don't think these people can actually BAN H.I.Ds. These people are already trying to ban them. So far there are no accident reports cause of HID's. Back in the days when they first introduced Halogen headlamps...people complained and tried to ban that as well! And was it banned? Obviously no. HID is technology..it is the future.

I also agree with alot of people with "Superwhite" Halogen lights...and you also need to have a properly aimed light. Most people who get into accidents I highly doubt their lights get adjusted after. And I agree with TRUNKS and SUV's with Halogens are more blinding than a proper aimed HID.

let's just get it straight, there will be complaints cause these people are just attracted to our beautiful lights. it won't get banned. one day all cars will be equipped with HIDs. this is the future.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:36 PM
Banned

Most,
if not all new cars have or should have what the TL-S has, which is an auto dim mirror, which dims the reflected light from traffic behind the driver. I realize these complaints can be valid although if drivers have the proper equipement, IE HID's themselves, or mirrors that are dimming to the light....
<<< just my two cents.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:39 PM
Intermediate

That's pure bull. There is drivers who on purpose aim their lights higher. Some HIDs on SUVs could be a bit distarcting because they are mounted higher, but if aimed correctly they shouldn't be a problem. It is normal for people to notice these lights more, b/c in a sea of amber you come up on blue/purple. It makes me look every time, but it never blinds me. I think fake HIDs should be off the shelves b/c they do more damage than good. Bright 100W light bulbs with white 5000K + temp are just a nuisance. Real HIDs are 35W bulbs that do their job perfectly.
And 1800 people complaining out of 50 million drivers. 80% of them are probably too old to drive and any kind of light blinds them. Some are not using their blinkers, tailgating, etc. And to me that's a lot more annoying than HIDs.

This is John Stossel, and I say Give Me A Break.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Its bull, those vehicles manufactured with the HID's are not a problem, I been passed by many of them including TL and TL-S's and other than the color being different there hasn't been any 'BLINDING' effects . If you can't handle a different color don't drive at night.

The vehicles that have retrofitted theirs to have HIDS that weren't design may have a valid complaint, I have seen those throwing light in all directions and I can see were that is a problem/complaint.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:33 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by tlssvtf150mr2
I find that trucks/SUVs/vans w/ halogens are worse than any passenger car w/ HIDs. However, since I subscribe to the aforementioned solution, it doesn't keep me from driving my Ford Lightning.
I agree with that. SUVs, trucks and vans are taller which gets the lights more into eye level. Sometimes you think they have their high beams on when that's not the case. Granted I didn't really like the HIDs on the cars, but then again it's a different story when I'm driving one with HIDs.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by thx2249

I agree with that. SUVs, trucks and vans are taller which gets the lights more into eye level...
Then again--with people lowering their vehicles and such, it shouldn't be much of a problem anymore, no?
Old 05-06-2002, 08:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

I find that BMW HIDs shine all over the place and blind at all angles.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:46 PM
Intermediate

i find HIDs to be an incredible advancment in automotive lighting
i find them less blinding and of course brigther!!!!! all cars should have it like ABS
Old 05-06-2002, 10:52 PM
Racer

for some of these whiners, it must be like looking at something they know they shouldn't be looking at, but continue staring at it just to see how bright it will get. a few times even big manly-man 4WD trucks have flashed me their HI's....WTF?
Old 05-06-2002, 11:24 PM
Racer

i think the cars with the most "glaring" effect is the ones with stolen HID's or aftermarket HID's because there housing in the headlights are not designed for that type of light.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:25 PM
Instructor

I actually see this as good. With more complaints, perhaps safety concerns will require auto-leveling HIDS and proper headlight aiming. Sure I love my HIDs, but I'm also concerned that I may be blinding oncoming cars especially when on 2 lane, hilly roads, without any street lights.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:29 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I actually see this as good. With more complaints, perhaps safety concerns will require auto-leveling HIDS and proper headlight aiming. Sure I love my HIDs, but I'm also concerned that I may be blinding oncoming cars especially when on 2 lane, hilly roads, without any street lights.
Agreed. I love my HIDs and I would never go back...HOWEVER, I think that the TL (and all cars) should have auto-leveling HIDs. On hilly, 2 lane country roads (w/o street lights), I know for a fact that I blind people. It should be mandatory for HIDs to be auto-leveling IMHO.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:52 PM
Pro

see this

hehe, i'd rather complain bout the people that run redlights...those bastards!
Old 05-07-2002, 06:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

The day these people suceed at baning HIDs cause they don't see the benifits driving with them is the day I move to Europe. I would rather work like a dog for an average salary then live in a place where peoples ignorance prevails. If you really want to complain about cars why don't they set a standard height for all cars bumpers that way they actual touch in low speed collisions and parking. Its funny but a new Accord fits nicely under the bumper of a TL? Makes no sence but no one notices that lol, just the pretty lights.

Look forward not at the traffic on the other side of the road:p
Old 05-07-2002, 07:01 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Las Vegas TLS
I believe that part of the problem is people who modify factory headlights with aftermarket blue coated halogen bulbs and the average person confuses these lights with the legit HID's. a few can spoil it for many. This controversy has been going on in California for over a year now. One good thing is that the people who ultimately make dissisions wether HID's stay or not are the well paid people at the top who most of them drive nice cars equipted with HID's. I bet more of the people who complain probally don't drive cars equipted with HID's
You are exactly right...and you can tell these guys on the road...
Old 05-07-2002, 09:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

i must concur also that the problem is people that install hid's into housings that arent designed for them like civics and accord,,,,,there reflectors seem to just throw the damm light everywhere
Old 05-08-2002, 12:38 AM
Instructor

On a side note, I love staring at oncoming HIDS. There's just a beauty to them, especially the BMW's and Audi's. Sure they're bright, sure they grab your attention, but they're also sure pretty.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:17 AM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Originally posted by Smelly
On a side note, I love staring at oncoming HIDS. There's just a beauty to them, especially the BMW's and Audi's. Sure they're bright, sure they grab your attention, but they're also sure pretty.
hahaha!!! I agree with that! they look so purdy.....i don't like the 2002-03 TL's...after full warm up..the HID's look so boring. It's just...white...:p
Old 05-08-2002, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Smelly
You just explained the entire working principle of bug zapping lights.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:01 PM
Intermediate

There is an issue with HIDs...people forget that people's sensitivity to light varies, and the lamps, as is their purpose, are much brighter. That's why there is "High Intensity" in their name . There are definitely some models, and I notice it chiefly with BMW's with the round lamps, that can be annoying when oncoming. I think the TL/CL are *less* offending than most, however.

As I driver, now that I have them, I love them. They are brighter, and throw a whiter beam, which seems to reflect better. So I can see both sides of the issue.

As someone said, maybe it's an issue of proper aiming, but I suspect that it's lamp dispersion based on the design, i.e. the Bimmers. I don't know if there is any regulations in the US specifying the allowable light intensity outside the main pattern, but that would be one way to fix it. You could either lower the beam intensity (i.e. don't use HIDs) or design your lamps such that they spray less light outside the main spot.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:11 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
heh
extract from article

NHTSA could use the comments to overhaul headlight regulations, going as far as banning the lights on future vehicles. It also could take any number of steps short of a ban to tone down the icy illumination.
Or it could do nothing.

gotta love that last line