HID headlight bulb??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 06:54 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID headlight bulb??

Hi all TL owners!!
I just bought an Acura RSX. Really want to install HID headlight just like the TL. Want to import an JDM RSX headlight with HID but something that I am not sure about. Can I ask you guys a question? I have talked to someother people in a RSX forum but no one know.

What kind of HID bulbs are you guys using
is it just called "D2R"??
or (for example) "9006 D2R"?

!!explain more here!!
I have a question to ask you guys: correct me if I am wrong
I heard that REAL HID only has two bulbs. D2R or D2S
the Philips, Vision, Bellof all are HID CONVERSION KIT (for RSX, it will be "H1 D2R" convertion HID kit)
This this true??

!!explain more clearly here!!
The problem here is the housing! HID housing and non-HID housing.
For HID housing, there are really only D2R and D2S bulb models. And this housing can only fit this two bulbs and no other models of bulbs.
For non-HID housing, because the normal D2R or D2S bulbs do not fit your housing, you need to convert your non-hid bulbs to hid bulbs. So Philips, Vision, Bellof made those conversion kits. example: Make normal H1 bulbs to H1 D2S or H1 D2R!

am I right??
Old 10-08-2001, 07:36 PM
Advanced

didn't you ask this on the phillips forum? D2S = Oem projector (bmw) D2R = Oem reflector housing (Acura). Everyone who gets HID pretty much uses D2S because it gives you a little more light compared to D2R. They are the same bulb except D2R has a black stripe to prevent glare. when Hid is said to be 9006, H4 etc. It means they have attached a certain base so the HID bulb will fit inside a halogen housing. If you can get JDM headlight thats what you should do because if you stick HID in a halogen you have make sure everything is leveled correctly so you don't blind. Plus the HID will just make things brighter you will have the same beam pattern of the halogen. Also most HID retrofits into halogen housings come out yellow and people get mad because they didn't get the HID color. My HID on my Accord turned out purple so I am lucky. autolamps-online.com sells unitron HID which gives off a OEM color by using a different mixture of salts. Also I am not sure about the RSX but if your headlights use one bulb for High/Low beams you will have to get a shield to prevent you from blinding others and you would lose your high beams. Keep this in mind if you stick HID into a halogen housing you won't be getting 100% out of HID because your halogen housing wasn't desigend to properly distribute the light coming out of the HID bulb.
Old 10-08-2001, 07:45 PM
Advanced

oh yea good luck Do yourself a favor and get the JDM HID haedlight you won't regret it! I am trying to get a hold of BMW/Audi Projectors to retrofit in to my Accord . That should hold me until I get a Tl-S:p
Old 10-08-2001, 08:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: HID headlight bulb??

Originally posted by mugen_rsx
Hi all TL owners!!
I just bought an Acura RSX. Really want to install HID headlight just like the TL. Want to import an JDM RSX headlight with HID but something that I am not sure about. Can I ask you guys a question? I have talked to someother people in a RSX forum but no one know.

What kind of HID bulbs are you guys using
is it just called "D2R"??
or (for example) "9006 D2R"?

!!explain more here!!
I have a question to ask you guys: correct me if I am wrong
I heard that REAL HID only has two bulbs. D2R or D2S
the Philips, Vision, Bellof all are HID CONVERSION KIT (for RSX, it will be "H1 D2R" convertion HID kit)
This this true??

!!explain more clearly here!!
The problem here is the housing! HID housing and non-HID housing.
For HID housing, there are really only D2R and D2S bulb models. And this housing can only fit this two bulbs and no other models of bulbs.
For non-HID housing, because the normal D2R or D2S bulbs do not fit your housing, you need to convert your non-hid bulbs to hid bulbs. So Philips, Vision, Bellof made those conversion kits. example: Make normal H1 bulbs to H1 D2S or H1 D2R!

am I right??
Head over to www.clubrsx.com where there are a couple options being discussed. the JDM Integra ones are the best but also the most expensive...I believe there is a Phillips kit available too...
Old 10-08-2001, 08:10 PM
5th Gear

thank you DerekH
I ordered my HID housing already. Can pick it up tomorrow because today is holiday in Vancouver. Now I will not take the risk of buying the Philips HID kit. Will buy the JDM HID as soon as I have enough money!!

have you tried the 6000K bulb (either Philips or PIAA). If not, why. I think they should look better than 4000K bulb.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:26 PM
Advanced

I haven't tried them.... but why pay $300 for 6000k light when mine are already an HID color? But if something happens to my bulbs I will get the 6000k's
Old 10-09-2001, 10:05 AM
Advanced

here is a good essay of HID retorofit
Bimmer7, about a year ago we discussed this subject here in some detail. The conclusion why *all* HID retrofit kits do not exhibit the same "blue/purple" tinge you see on OEM HID headlight systems is headlight design optics.
The headlight reflectors and lenses (commonly referred to as "optics" or system)of OEM HID headlights are engineered specifically for use with HID arc capsules. The design not only considers the source focal points, but the amount of lumen to be distributed. These factors are often overlooked when retrofitting is considered.

OEM HID optics distributes the increased lumen output of this bulb farther ahead, wider to both sides, and directly in front of the subject vehicle. This provides motorists with much WIDER AND DEEPER night time vision.

By contrast, halogen headlight optics do not spread the light to the degree of OEM HID. This is simply because a 55 watt halogen bulb (or even a 100 watter) cannot match the lumen output of HID. A lower number of lumens means less light to spread out.

What does this have to do with the light color?

Consider that the goal of a good halogen headlight system (actually, any headlight system) - say one designed for a 55 watt H4 bulb with ~1200 lumen output - is to most efficiently and evenly distribute 1100 lumens of light. It must do so in a way that meets Federal requirements for intensity, illumination points, glare, etc., in order to be legally used on road vehicles. Taking these parameters into account, engineers create headlight optics to meet these goals as best they can.

Now, consider what what happens when someone inserts a 2800-3200 lumen HID arc capsule into a headlight designed to distribute only 1/3 of this amount of light. Suddenly, there's too much light! Retrofitting an HID bulb into a halogen designed headlight "optically overloads" this headlight system with an abundance of white "primary light", and does not allow HID "secondary light" (i.e. the blue/purple tinge - or "throw-away light as Dan Stern calls it) to be seen (from the outside)

As proof of this, compare a retrofit HID system to an OEM HID headlight system (of course, compare reflector -> reflector, projector --> projector). Not only will you notice that the retrofit is whiter, the retrofit will also seem overly bright and sometimes glaring from certain angles. By contrast, the OEM system will be easy to look at from most angles and is less fatiguing to look at.

Finally, compare the beam patterns of OEM HID vs. HID. Here you will see a very noticeable difference. A retrofit will produce a brighter concentration of light compared to it's halogen cousin, no question, but it will not come close to the depth and width of light distribution created by an OEM HID light system. In fact, I'd argue that the beam pattern of the retrofit is less accurate than the stock headlight. Again, to much light *and* a completely different type of light source (electrical arc vs. burning filament).

In short, incompatibility of the HID bulb and halogen-designed headlight optics are the reason for the difference in external appearance between OEM and retrofitted HID systems.

Marchom
Old 10-10-2001, 06:46 AM
5th Gear

very good explanation
so is that mean HID retorofit can also be very "blue/purple" with OEM HID-housing??

I bought the RSX OEM HID-housing!! Very interesting because it said on the back of the housing that it will fit H1 bulb or D2R bulb. So if I buy the H1 HID conversion (but I think I will save my money to buy the JDM HID), it should look blue/purple??

saw this on another forum
http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.as...ad&row_id=3456
groupbuy on K2 (or Vision) HID kit
the deal is pretty attractive, only $450 included shipping.
Is it a good idea??
The page indicate that it will look purple, also I heard some other people said that vision HID bulb have a bit different design with different mixture of gas so that it does look purple.
Old 10-10-2001, 09:12 AM
Advanced

any HID bulbs will give you the HID look when in an oem HID housing. Don't know much about the Vision kit. My hid are very purple looking and they are in my Accord housing. Some people get lucky plus my HID bulbs were made a while ago. The very first HID's that came out had lots of color to them especially Osarm bulbs. Those were a deep blue no matter what housing you put them in. HID color (in my opinon) = 70% housing.... 30% salts mixed in bulbs.