HID Head lights.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 10:54 PM
04 remembrance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID Head lights.

Aren't these High-intensity Discharge headlights supposed to last even longer than the xeon or the regular? Why does my HID headlights fail so often? I have the 02' model and the left has gone out twice while the right side has gone dead once.

Is anybody else experiencing something similar to this?
Perhaps the wires inside have been altered?
Or perhaps while repairing, something else has gone wrong?
Old 06-09-2003, 02:19 AM
Having Fun?

Have you cleared your headlights? water/fogging?

Has repair work been done to the front end? dealer?

I've never had a headlight go out on me personally.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:11 AM
Suzuka Master

As far as I know HID and Xenon lights are the same thing.

I have never had one go dead.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
As far as I know HID and Xenon lights are the same thing.

I have never had one go dead.
They are the same thing
Old 06-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HID, XENON are the same & your lights should last a very long time. I have had my 2000TL for over 3yrs & use my lights all the time since day one of ownership. ACURA did not put DRL (DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT) in the U.S. model cars so I use the headlights instead. Only one time did one headlight not power up this was over 2yrs ago. I turned the switch off & back on & it powered up. I have not had that problem since.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:27 PM
Race Director

Loose connection or short circuit.. Something wrong with Ballast..

Check it out at your dealer.. This seems like a rare problem, THOSE BULBS Cost Mucho Dinero
Old 06-09-2003, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by LNDSHRK
They are the same thing
In techincal terms they aren't the same thing. We have (H.I.D.) High Intensity Discharge bulb filled with Xenon gas that are ignited by electrodes. So it would be wrong to just call them Xenon bulb, because some H.I.D. bulbs uses other kind of gas such as Krypton. So these bulbs should be just called HID or HID Xenon in our TL's bulbs. They should not just be call Xenon bulbs.

Xenon bulbs are mostly refering to those Halogen bulbs that are filled with Xenon gas. These still have filaments and a blue coating that blocks the yellow wavelength. In the auto world these are what people call Xenon bulbs.

So HID Xenon bulbs are not Xenon bulbs.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Banned

Re: HID Head lights.

Originally posted by iamhomin
Aren't these High-intensity Discharge headlights supposed to last even longer than the xeon or the regular? Why does my HID headlights fail so often? I have the 02' model and the left has gone out twice while the right side has gone dead once.

Is anybody else experiencing something similar to this?
Perhaps the wires inside have been altered?
Or perhaps while repairing, something else has gone wrong?
Yes H.I.D. are suppose to last long then Xenon bulbs or halogen bulbs (These are really the same thing, except one is filled with Xenon gas to produce high temp color). They should last appr~ 10x longer then Halogens bulbs since H.I.D. does not have flimsy filaments. When your HID failed what did you do? replaced the bulbs and/or ballast? This could be voltage problems or water leakage. The ballast can short out with water or it could be defective. The bulbs themselves can blow if it has moisture on it. This is not typical of HID bulbs. My HID has been on all the time I drive and I had my TL for 4 yrs.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:30 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by hzm82
In techincal terms they aren't the same thing. We have (H.I.D.) High Intensity Discharge bulb filled with Xenon gas that are ignited by electrodes. So it would be wrong to just call them Xenon bulb, because some H.I.D. bulbs uses other kind of gas such as Krypton. So these bulbs should be just called HID or HID Xenon in our TL's bulbs. They should not just be call Xenon bulbs.

Xenon bulbs are mostly refering to those Halogen bulbs that are filled with Xenon gas. These still have filaments and a blue coating that blocks the yellow wavelength. In the auto world these are what people call Xenon bulbs.

So HID Xenon bulbs are not Xenon bulbs.
you are right...i didn't think he was talking about "rice" bulbs, referring to the xenon (w/ filaments and dye)...but i do know that true HID systems do not have filaments, and can only produce one beam of light...

good call though!
Old 06-09-2003, 06:00 PM
04 remembrance

I've got them repaired at a dealer shop and they said 'everything' should return back to normal, but apparently, it didn't.

It's weird how often mine goes out while other TL lights are lasting 4 years without a problem.. -_-
Old 06-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by hzm82
Then they wouldnt be halogen bulbbs anymore. They are called halogens because they have halogen in them, xenon is a noble gas, not a halogen.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Since there is no filament to burn out, the tl lights are supposed to last the life of the car.