Help! scuff marks on leather

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! scuff marks on leather

I noticed yesterday that on my rear of my driver's seat, there are a bunch of black scuff marks near the map holder/pocket.

I assume they're from my black briefcase that I put on the floor every day. Apparently, the bag scuffs it when I put it on the floor.

It's been hot as hell on the East Coast so I'm wondering why all of a sudden my bookbag is leaving a scuffmark. Humidity??

ANYWAY... nothing seems to be getting it out.

Not leather cleaner

Not Armor All

Not Formula 2000

Not spit on my finger and rubbing

N-O-T-H-I-N-G !!

The only thing that helped a bit was good ol' fashioned soap and very HOT water with a toothbrush. It seemed to fade it a little.

I noticed yet another one this morning. Can anyone suggest anything?? It's not like I'm thowing my bag in the backseat every day. I'm prety much a fanatic when it comes to the interior.

Thanks everyone!

Ant
Old 04-18-2002, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about some WD-40.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

I also need help getting leather scuffs off my seats. Seems the black leather jacket i wore all last winter rubbed off onto the leather seat. I have tried a bunch of leather cleaners but they arent powerful enough to remove the black leather jacket's color from the seat. I dont want to use anything that will take the tan off the seat (i have parchment interior) but it looks real bad the way it is now. What do you guys recommend for this???
Old 04-19-2002, 09:22 PM
PAW
Instructor

Try these folks

Call the folks at www.leatherique.com. I spoke to Kristi(?) in length about using their product on our leather couches. It help them alot.
Old 04-20-2002, 01:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok, thanks Paw, i will call them asap.
Old 04-21-2002, 02:42 PM
Racer

have you tried meguires leather cleaner, i had some marks on my seats and when i put those babies on it went away.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

yeah i tried Meguires and Mothers leather cleaners, but evidently the black leather marks are not just the usual dirt so these cleaners arent strong enough to get it off. Its gonna need some kind of solvent but i am affraid to use the wrong thing and destroy the seat. My thinking is that alcohol or acetone might work but boy do i want to be absolutely sure first before using either one on the seat.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Your best bet is to remove the bottom portion of the back seat and test some products on the parts that's hidden between the top part of the seat. I tested my leather to see if it was clearcoated on that section. It's totally hidden.
Old 04-22-2002, 03:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

apparently the black used to make a leather jacket black is dye, as opposed to a tanning process (btw, for the less sophisticated, tanning is not the same as the color tan) In any event, its dye thats gotten on my seat and probably isnt coming off at this point. I have to redye the whole seat now, but i have been told that its easy to do (apparently its water based dye that just sprays on) and should be a nearly perfect match. This info comes from the folks at Leatherique.com. This whole thing blows but I will sure be happy to get it over and done with. It also stained the vinyl arm rest so i may have to order up a new door panel too. NEVER buy a leather jacket made by a company called Couture (they sell 'em at Macys). I may file a lawsuit with them over this if i have the time (i am an attorney by trade and a pissed off leather jacket owner by circumstance!)
Old 04-24-2002, 11:49 PM
PAW
Instructor

BECAREUL ABOUT RE-DYEING

avenutolo and 2002acuraTL

Understand that Leatherique's redyeing technique requires SANDING the leather. This is a very light sanding but it will remove the clear coat that is on the factory leather. That's the point of sanding and is what the redyeing process requires. Also, only the center portion of the seat is leather. I'm not sure how the redying process will work on the vinyl parts (the outer portions of the seat cover). After the clear coat is gone, the leather will likely fade and need to be redyed again and again. It will also need to be treated differently. The factory clear coat makes the leather act like vinyl. You can use something like 303 Protector now. I believe NSXNEXT likes that. Once the factory clear coat is gone, Leatherique or Lexol will be needed. Just as an aside, the leather on my couches was not clear coated. A drop of water would be asbsored and the leather temporarily turned darker. Leatherique brought back a lot of the original color. The Leatherique folks also talked to me about redyeing. I was very hesitant to attempt it. Just the thought of sanding leather. OOOOO!!!! If it was me, I'd try to find a wrecked TL with decent seats and get those covers. The same with the arm rest. Since I recommended Leatherique, I wanted be sure you understood know what you're in for. Good luck with what ever path you chose.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well i wil hold off on dyeing the seat for now. I did speak with George at leatherique and i ordered a whole slew of his products: Prep cleaner, the Rejuvinator oil, Pristine clean, and the Klear Kote. Total cost $64. He assured me that my problem is not uncommon and that the prep cleaner will take the jacket's dye off the seat without taking the color off the seat as long as i dont rub to agressively with it. I have read alot about the rejuvinator oil on a Ferrari owners club and normally its used to make the leather soft, but here, George said i will need to use it after i have used the prep solvent (presumably to deactivate it and get it off the leather). As for the Klear Kote, i was unsure of whether to use this, but i guess its like scothguard, only for leather, and he said its breathable so that it wont do damage to the leather. Of course, all of the other products only do me good if the dye comes of. If not, I will probably try redying the seat before going to the next step. First off, what have i got to lose but try to redye it, and its alot less expensive than buying a new seat skin. And second, my car is brand new, only six months old, so if i do ended up needing new leather, i will probably have it replaced at an auto upholserty place rather than sticking in someone elses old seats. The arm rest is the only thing i will probably just have to buy at the dealer, although George seems to think the prep solvent will work its magic on the vinyl too. I will let you know what happens...