Help from NJ residents...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 11:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help from NJ residents...

I was traveling on the Palisades around 12am Monday morning when a Palisades Interstate Cop pulled me over for doing 71 in a 50 :wow: He had paced me and gave me a ticket.

My question is this, what is the best way to fight this? My court appearance is in 2 weeks and I was wondering if some jersey people could give me some advice.

Thanks!!

-Rich
Old 07-09-2002, 11:59 AM
Ex TL-S owner

Damn speedracer. I guess the V1 had no chance w/that one.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I would think that would be very hard to fight since you can't claim his radar gun was not calibrated.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by CarFreak
Damn speedracer. I guess the V1 had no chance w/that one.
Nope! And the weird thing was that I'm always aware of who's next to me and behind me and I never saw any keeping up with me. The only thing that was weird was I was following a Black Impala with a short wave antenna on the trunk and he was going much faster and weaving through traffic and high-beaming.

Old 07-09-2002, 02:48 PM
USMC Butterbars

There's nothing you can do except show up at court and hope for less points and a higher fine. I don't know if NJ points carry over to NY, but I know it does the other way around. Apparently pacing is enough evidence to give you a ticket and it will hold up in court. Good luck with the ticket.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:12 PM
Racer

Originally posted by shimbo519
There's nothing you can do except show up at court and hope for less points and a higher fine. I don't know if NJ points carry over to NY, but I know it does the other way around. Apparently pacing is enough evidence to give you a ticket and it will hold up in court. Good luck with the ticket.
Points will carry over to NY. If you get a tickets in tri-state area (NJ, NY and CT); points are carry over.

Just show up to on the court date and see if will reduce couple points. Good luck! I'll have my court date too on this Thursday.
Old 07-13-2002, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by kchao2000

Points will carry over to NY. If you get a tickets in tri-state area (NJ, NY and CT); points are carry over.

Just show up to on the court date and see if will reduce couple points. Good luck! I'll have my court date too on this Thursday.
Here is what I found on the DMV website:

New York DMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions, except for out-of-state alcohol or drug-related violations (e.g. DUI) and moving violations committed in Quebec and Ontario. Therefore, except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations.

However, if you fail to answer a ticket or pay a fine for a moving violation in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin, your NYS license will be suspended until the ticket is answered or the fine is paid. A driver from any state, except the six listed above, will have his or her license suspended for failure to answer a moving violation summons or pay a fine in NYS.

If you are convicted of an alcohol or drug-related driving violation in any state, your NYS license will be revoked for at least six months. Otherwise, except for convictions in Quebec or Ontario under special agreements, out-of-state traffic convictions are not recorded on NYS license records and do not carry points.

Out-of-state drivers ticketed in NYS should contact their home-state DMV about the affect of a conviction in NYS.
Old 07-13-2002, 12:11 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Plea bargain

In NJ you almost always can make a deal with a prosecutor for a lesser violation. It is good to have a LOCAL lawyer but you yourself can talk to the prosecutor and he more likely will reduce it to 14 above limit (a 2-pointer) instead of 21 above (a 4 pointer) you have now. If you are willing to pay more for no-pointer (unsafe driving for example) you may get it too. I went this way last year since I could not afford any more points. But if out-of-state violations do not count in NY then don't bother. You need to pay fine though. Also check what your insurance company has to say about it. In NJ any out-of-state violation is 2-pointer, but insurance points are calculated as if the violation has been committed in NJ.