Help me justify getting Navi-

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help me justify getting Navi-

Alright,

Besides resale value what are some good reasons for Navi- Does it actually work well. I am in sales so I could use a little extra help. Does it have any negatives- i know it's DVD based and it is better than CD based on Infiniti. (If you are a dealer "beat it" and dont respond-)

Comments welcome- Thanx guys-
DAY
Old 04-11-2002, 07:39 PM
Having Fun?

"It is awesome", and you can quote me

It is very quick to 'tell' me the directions. I never have to take my eyes off the road, unless it looses signal of course.

The first week I had my car I tested it by getting off the Tobin bridge in Boston and having it steer me home, and it was a god sent!

I never have to worry about how I am going to get somewhere, where I came from or even where I am going Just punch in destination and off I go!
Old 04-11-2002, 08:13 PM
Racer

Originally posted by copland007

The first week I had my car I tested it by getting off the Tobin bridge in Boston and having it steer me home, and it was a god sent!
destination and off I go!
I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN ONE ON MINE...........
Old 04-11-2002, 08:30 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

That's what I was thinking before I bought my car.

Now~~ I would never buy a car w/o NAV....

It's worth of money.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:39 PM
Instructor

I say get it. I wish I would have. The navi part is cool, but you can also do this:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=25782

:wow:
Old 04-11-2002, 08:46 PM
Racer

If you will use it alot it is a pretty cool thing to have, I personally don't think I will be getting it since I plan to keep the car for quite a while and see navi as something that will be expensive to fix in a few years and I have a handhled GPS that I connect to my laptop when I go on a trip.

BTW, Navi adds almost nothing to the resale value of your car. When I traded my 2001 they asked if I had it, I said what is it worth, they said $200.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:15 PM
Moo
Pro

Originally posted by SpoonPower78

I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN ONE ON MINE...........
Me too. Get the Nav. Wish I could do it all over again. I've gotten lost soooo many freakin times. And I always kick myself for not getting the nav. Plus it looks soooo cool with it. For my next car, I won't even think twice.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:27 PM
All Hail the Chief

I have a good reason....IT LOOKS COOL!

But seriously, everyone that doesn't have one always seems to say that they regret not getting it, and everyone that has one says that they will never get another car w/o one! So how's that?!?!
Old 04-11-2002, 09:40 PM
Intermediate

I think it's great. I never have to worry about getting lost. Also, I found that driving downtown is really helpful because you can look on the map to see what street is coming up next instead of having to search for a stupid street sign.

I have the 2003 model, and the navi comes with onstar, which is really cool too.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:43 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a search and you will definitely find the answer.

I have the nav and it is worth every penny!
Old 04-12-2002, 12:26 AM
Instructor

having a car with NAVI is great..I can never go back to before..
Old 04-12-2002, 08:53 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Let me put it this way, I get lost all the time (purposely or not) and it saves my ass always. The great feature on the NAV is auto re-route. If you must detour it will remap you to get back on the right track.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:23 AM
Pro

Man, all these Nav talk is driving me nuts! I regret it everytime I hear you guys talk about how great it is. I could've gotten it for a great price too (they offered it to me around 1,000). I never thought I needed it and I've gotten lost so many times without it. My gf tried to make me feel better by telling me she's my nav system and I could just pay her the grand. I told her the difference between her and the nav is that if I don't want the nav to say anything, I could just shut it off. Then I was promptly served with an a$$ whopping. :p

axleback
Old 04-12-2002, 11:35 AM
Having Fun?

Originally posted by axleback
I told her the difference between her and the nav is that if I don't want the nav to say anything, I could just shut it off. Then I was promptly served with an a$$ whopping. :p
That was pretty funny!

You could get an aftermarket NAV
Old 04-12-2002, 11:44 AM
Racer

Now you guys have me convinced, i'm getting Nav
Old 04-12-2002, 11:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Get the nav if you can afford it. Makes the interior look much more
luxurious and helps differentiate it from the rest of honda's line.
General rule, if you can easily add it on later, it's ok to wait. But,
for this, you can't ever add it as a mod.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:50 AM
Pro

Personally, I didn't & wouldn't get it. To me its just not worth the $2K, i can think of 100 other things to spend that money on first. That's me. Others seem to love it. If you say you are a salesman & do travel alot I'd say its definitely worth it for you cause you'll end up using it alot.

good luck
Old 04-12-2002, 12:14 PM
No, you are a dork.

My one justification of many...

So I decide to continue a landscaping project today...I make to one landscape and garden center this morning, get what i need, then realize that I want to check into renting an aerator for my yard....go to the menu, click on place by category, and locate my the numerous garden centers that are nearby, dial the phone numbers, starting with the closest ones and voila!!...All that without lifting my foot off of the gas....
Old 04-12-2002, 12:23 PM
Advanced

Get the Navi...Everyday it amazes me more. I love it. I don't think I will ever own a car without one. It has helped in ways that just can't be described in a brochure or on paper. I have really grown to appreciate it, now when I am in a car without one I feel lost.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:36 PM
2002 CLs w/Navi

Acura's Navi is perfect, I have it in my CL. Plus chicks think it's cool, that's the only reason I have it, really don't need it
Old 04-12-2002, 12:36 PM
5th Gear

Still doing my research on whether or not to get a TL-S - but think I would definately like to have the navi system.

In addition to the added conveniences of having directions and a directory/phone book in the car - is that ..... I know this sounds REALLY nit picky but ... the hazard switch is placed closer to the driver in the navi opted model - which to me is a minor safety issue incase you need to quickly warn those behind you of an emergency situation.

Also, had rented a car from Hertz that had a navi system installed and it was an awesome convenience - especially when travelling.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Given a choice, definitely choose the Navi

Unless you are paying cash for your car, the payments "shouldn't" be that much different with an added on $2g. Second, Kramer is right about the re-sale value, it doesn't amount to a lot there either, but so what?

Its all about looking cool and being able to go somewhere/anywhere when you want to. Not having to ask for directions, ever. When I am meeting someone, they start to give me directions and I stop them short, "just give me the address, i'll see you there".

Here's a safety reason: God forbid you are out somewhere unfamiliar to you in the middle of the night and you need to find a hospital or police station? Sometimes, especially in NY, you DON'T want to ask for directions.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:38 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Since you're asking... I'm 42 years old and I drive a 2003 TL, if I were 22 again, I could'nt of lived without the Navi or theType-S.

I think Navi is a wonderful thing, and if I used my car to, lets say drive to "New York or Texas" I would of slapped down the extra 2 grand in a second. Overall I saved Since I saved about $4K by giving up the Type-S and Navi option. No regrets!

When I went to purchase the car, I looked at the Type-S first, but the bumppy ride quality (both my wife and son complained about the ride during the test drive), and the so-so gauges (I know most of you really like them) and the horrible looking blackwood - Yuck!, not sure if I could justify the expense for all those features - that I don't like. At 225bhp this car moves out very well.

What I did like about the Type-S were those nice looking 17" rims, which I picked up a set (the new ones with the raised rim lip) at a great price, in fact, after was all said and done, they really only cost me about $300 to upgrade.

If you have the extra money, it's nice to have the Navi, if you could use the money for other things, move on.

I plan on buying a MDX, since the will be our travel car, we will get the Navi with that purchase.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:49 PM
Banned

I've got the navi and love it. The only way I *wouldn't* recommend someone getting it is if the area in which they drive most frequently is not fully mapped. Only major metropolitan areas (within a 20 mile radius of larger cities) are fully mapped. So go to a dealer and play with a car with navi and make sure the places you travel in all the time are fully detailed on there. Otherwise you could be waiting a long time for an update in your area.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:36 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Kramer
Now you guys have me convinced, i'm getting Nav
I think you'll like it. I had Navi and since then whenever I wanna go somewhere or visit someone; just tell them "all I need is the address". My navi will take me there!

Also it helps me when been in a un-familiar area. Don't need to worry about get lost 'cuz I know the navi will take me home!
Old 04-12-2002, 03:37 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Turboara
Personally, I didn't & wouldn't get it. To me its just not worth the $2K, i can think of 100 other things to spend that money on first. That's me. Others seem to love it. If you say you are a salesman & do travel alot I'd say its definitely worth it for you cause you'll end up using it alot.

good luck
No offense, but you cannot trust the opinion of someone who hasn't lived with it for a while. When I got my car, I had to have the Navi, more so 'cause I'm a gadget geek and I wasn't gonna buy a TL without it. Now that I've lived with it for close to a year, I can honestly say that a NAV will be a major factor in any new car purchase I make in the future. It has gotten me out of traffic jams, never have to get directions, found businesses with phone numbers, etc.

Hands down, the best feature in the car!
Old 04-12-2002, 03:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you're leasing, the NAV is an expensive proposition. As much as I'd love to have another toy to play with (I honestly wouldn't have too much real use for it), it barely changes the residual value so you end up more or less paying for all of it during the term of the lease, yet having to turn it back in with the car. If you finance, it's a lot more sensible from a financial aspect.
Old 04-12-2002, 04:12 PM
No, you are a dork.

Re: Given a choice, definitely choose the Navi

Originally posted by jl_young
Unless you are paying cash for your car, the payments "shouldn't" be that much different with an added on $2g.
Actually mine was either 430 with nav or 390 without.....well worth the 430.....
Old 04-12-2002, 07:13 PM

get the nav!
Old 04-12-2002, 07:49 PM
Pro

I am gonna get the NAV when I buy mine, the nav actually DECREASES the residual value of the car. The Type S was 65% after three years, and the Type S w/ NAV was 63%, not that much difference, I'm still gettin it!
Old 04-12-2002, 08:31 PM
DHB
Instructor

I got our 03TLS primarily for my wife. I decided to go for the Navi mainly because of the gee-whiz factor but honestly I didn't think it would be all that practical. Boy was I wrong! I was driving the TLS a few weeks ago back from having the OEM body kit installed at the dealer. This was late on a Friday afternoon in metro Atlanta where the rush hour traffic absolutely SUCKS! Listening to the traffic reports while on my way to get on I-285 west bound, I knew I was only about a mile away from a massive wall of red tail lights. The traffic reports were quoting travel times that should have put me at about 1:45 to 2:00 hours to get home from the dealership. I already had my destination programmed in and was on a course that would have gotten me home via I-285 and I-75....right through the heart of the worst of the traffic. I had just finished reading up on a few features of the Navi and decided to try the "Detour" function. After I indicated I wanted it to plot a detour, it advised me to exit at the next off-ramp. I previewed the course it had plotted for me but I was completely unfamiliar with most of the route. Depite this I decided to give it a try. As expected it did take me through some back roads and residential streets unfamiliar to me but I enjoyed the change in scenery. I arrived at my house 1 hour and 20 minutes after leaving the dealership so the Navi probably saved me at least 40 minutes travel time and untold frustration.

BTW, it's also great for looking up phone numbers of restaurants and businesses when you are mobile without having to rack up 411 charges on your cell phone.

My limited experience with owning a Navi thus far has convinced me that I want one on all my vehicles from this point forward. Hope this helps and in case you are wondering, I am an I.T. manager for a major airline and not a car salesman
Old 04-12-2002, 10:09 PM
9th Gear

Nav

If you have a crappy sense of direction, lile I do you'll get it.
Old 04-13-2002, 05:51 PM
Pro

Originally posted by goaub

No offense, but you cannot trust the opinion of someone who hasn't lived with it for a while. When I got my car, I had to have the Navi, more so 'cause I'm a gadget geek and I wasn't gonna buy a TL without it. Now that I've lived with it for close to a year, I can honestly say that a NAV will be a major factor in any new car purchase I make in the future. It has gotten me out of traffic jams, never have to get directions, found businesses with phone numbers, etc.

Hands down, the best feature in the car!
yup exactly...im a gadget geek too....i wouldnt have bought the TL without the navi. im never getting a car without navi again. please get the navi....you'll love it...your not gonna regret it...youll only regret not getting it. its worth the extra 2k. well for me it was.
Old 04-13-2002, 05:55 PM
Intermediate

I wish Navi was available in Canada. I most definately would have gotten it on my TL-S. I have Microsoft Mappoint loaded on my laptop, so all I have to do it take it in the car with me and I have Navi!

Serisously I think Navi is a great option and definately worth getting. If you only need to use it once when lost it's worth it.
Old 04-13-2002, 06:06 PM
Instructor

GET NAVI!!, I bought my type s without navi and i had the car for a month now and i regret not getting it, it makes the inside of the car look so much better and youll never get lost. its a must get......
Old 04-13-2002, 06:18 PM
7th Gear

I have a 2002 Type S without Navi. Is it possible to now get it installed?
Old 04-13-2002, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by GLAlexander
I have a 2002 Type S without Navi. Is it possible to now get it installed?
Not OEM. Sure, you might be able to convince a dealer somewhere to do it, but there is so much involved in changing the car over it would be cost prohibitive. I've talked to several dealers and service reps and they all say no way could it be done without tearing the car completely apart. I think someone was once quoted (if they'd actually do it) about $7000. You can get a top-of-the-line aftermarket navi for $2500.

The navi option in the TLs is so labor intensive that the models with navi actually have a different VIN number than those without navi. The only options that usually change a VIN (besides body style, etc) are engine and transmission choices, because those options make the car drastically different. Navi does that as well.

Alpine (which makes the OEM navi) makes a great aftermarket unit that is almost identical to the OEM unit, except no touch-screen (which is the best part, IMHO).
Old 04-14-2002, 03:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

All right! I love these "should I get the Nav?" posts.

If you hate stopping at gas stations or bugging strangers for directions -- Get the Navi.

If your sense of direction is poor to fair -- Get the Navi.

If you wind up arguing with your significant-other over directions -- Get the Navi.

If you're any kind of "electronics gadget man" -- Get the Navi.

If you can afford to get the Navi without eating dog food for 3 months -- Get the Navi!

If you want to get the Navi for its resale, residual, or some other "financial value" -- Don't! It's value is only apparent when you use it! (Or show it to females! Which is another form of use! )

If, when your favorite female drives your car and winds up lost in the "not-so-friendly" part of town, and DOESN'T have to stop or get out to get back on track, then you HAVE the Navi!

Let me put it this way, "If a fire suddenly broke out near my car, and I had time to only take one mod/thing out (and there's no one in the car), I would (attempt to) snag my Navi!" (relax boys, it's only an analogy)

And last but not least...

If you want to sleep like a baby after your TL/TL-S purchase and keep your wife from smacking you in the head when she thinks about having the Navi -- Get the Navi!

Good luck on your purchase!

Later,

V.

P.S. You'd probably get a much shorter thread if you asked, "Of those who bought the Navi... does anyone regret buying it?"
Old 04-14-2002, 04:48 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My ONLY regret about getting the NAV is not doing the proper research on aftermarket counterparts first. For the added 2000, you might be able to get a NAV with a larger screen. Sure you may loose the touchscheen capability, but to some, certain features are more important to others. Would I get a NAVI on my next ride? Definitely, regardless if it's aftermarket or not.

P.S.
The major advantage of aftermarket NAVs is that you can transplant it to your next ride...but at the same time that is also the biggest flaw (since thieves are more prone to checking out your ride)
Old 04-14-2002, 10:30 AM
On the way!

Originally posted by daryl.com
My one justification of many...

So I decide to continue a landscaping project today...I make to one landscape and garden center this morning, get what i need, then realize that I want to check into renting an aerator for my yard....go to the menu, click on place by category, and locate my the numerous garden centers that are nearby, dial the phone numbers, starting with the closest ones and voila!!...All that without lifting my foot off of the gas....
Here's another one. I went to the bank yesterday at 1:15, and found that my branch closed at 1:00.

I got on the nav system, and within 1 minute I had the numbers for the next three closest branches. What would make this story great would be that one of them was open later and I was able to get there in time........ Unfortunately, that's not the case - they all closed at 1:00.

Good try though!

Quick Reply: Help me justify getting Navi-