Help! I'm on the fence with new purchase!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 09:10 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! I'm on the fence with new purchase!

Okay comrades. You’ve been very helpful since I’ve joined this board, but I am in a fickle state. To be honest with you I’m driving myself crazy here, as well as my wife.

I’ve opened communication with dealers and think I can get a 2003 TL Type-S for just abut 29K, maybe under! That’s a non-Nav. I’m still concerned about the transmission and the new 2004 design making my new car look dated. I do love the car though.

But, I’m on the fence here. I’ve pretty much ruled out the Saab 9-3, but am still interested in the 2003 Accord--A fully loaded EX V6 sedan, that is. I know I would shortly see myself coming and going, but it looks to be an incredible car for about $26,000. I’ve also learned there is now the option of 17 in. wheels, and the black leather interior looks great. Not sure about the outside quite yet.

So, what would you do? TL-S (or) New Accord?

BTW, through research I’ve ruled out the A4 and G35, because with the options I would want both cars are too expensive!
Old 08-30-2002, 09:31 AM

Get the 03 TL-S. I just picked mine up less than a month ago and love it. Also, the accord is coming out in 04 with a new body style and I think I heard 245 hp. But if I were you get the 03 Type S.

Mr
03 ABP TL-S
New Jersey
Old 08-30-2002, 09:49 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I thought the 17" wheels were only an option for the Accord Coupe EX V6, not the Sedan?

In any case, you should wait until the Accord is officially released in the US, and test drive it to see which you like best. The accord will probably be a great car, only bad thing is that it will probably end up being a very common car assuming the new Accord sells as well as the old Accords did ...

The TL-S is not something you see on the road every 10 seconds, although the TL itself is a fairly common car, it isn't as common as the Accord or Camry ... Personally thats why I steered clear of the Accord.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:51 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think he was referring to the 2003 240 hp Accord. The new accord is coming out soon (meaning this fall) as a 03 model.

I'd get the TLS over the accord because personally I think it looks better. Its probably a little bit sportier than the accord (seats and suspension). I can't say much about the tranny because 1) haven't experienced 2) its been beaten to death and 3) I try not to think about it. My car has 8000 miles so far and still running strong. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2002, 10:04 AM
Banned

I was in the same boat you were in 3 months ago .... The new Accord look like $hit and I truly beleive that this model TL will turn into what the Legend was when the TL first came out ..... a highly desirable car!!! I am THRILLED with my purchase and love the ride each and every day .... I don't regret in hindsight making this decision and I know that this car will last me alot longer than any Accord or Maxima would have!!!
Take the plunge and join the list of satisfied customers.
As for the tranny issue .... if you're first purchasing now you won't have any problems .... threads on this board as well as others have stated that Acura has already identified the problem and have rectified it for those later 03' models .... ask the dealerfor the birthdate of the car (date which the car was actually made) the later the better....

GOOD LUCK & LET US KNOW WHAT YOU DECIDE!!
Old 08-30-2002, 01:38 PM
Banned

i've seen pics of the new accord and i must say... DAMN THAT SH*T IS UGLY. i bleieve the coupe has an optin of a 6mt and 240-250hp and supposedly it can beat a tl-s. im not sure on that so dont quote me on it.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:54 PM
Pro

Think exclusivity between the TL-S and the Accord.

Ya, the black interior and the optional 17 in are cool for the Accord for 26k, but you'll be just like the other lemmings who buy the Accord not for the looks but for reliability. You'll be better off getting a 2003 Maxima SE, standard 17 in wheels but optional leather interior (not counting the more powerful engine).

I'd pick the TL-S if I were you.
I could say you get what you pay for but with the TL-S tranny issues we're having now, it's ironic

Good luck w/ your decision.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Yaron2
I was in the same boat you were in 3 months ago .... The new Accord look like $hit and I truly beleive that this model TL will turn into what the Legend was when the TL first came out ..... a highly desirable car!!! I am THRILLED with my purchase and love the ride each and every day
Yeah, man. I can't believe someone else said this. The Legend is the coolest Acura ever imo. It just sucks that they don't make it anymore. I view the TL as the 'modern' Legend. I understand wanting to wait for the 2004, but there will always be a newer, better car. I just think the TL's look great man. I would not opt for the Accord. Maybe a subjective view, but hey I am driving a 2003 SSM TL-S w/o Navi and I love every minute of it.

Pro accord note: you would save some money.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:16 PM
Racer

TL-S all teh way, my uncle has the 03 accord fully loaded and its nothing in comparison to drivng a TL-S