HELP: I think I scratched my exhaust? gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001 | 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

HELP: I think I scratched my exhaust? gasket?

Today, they were doing road construction at the school and they put up this huge ramp that you had to drive over, it was huge, normal cars had to stop and gradually go over it, all in one lane, the other lane was closed, for further construction. So for dropped cars its almost impossible to get over it...

I had to somehow get over this ramp cause there's no way to back up since there's a long line of cars right behind me. I some how manage to get over it, Thank goodness... But while I was going over it I heard a scratch... I think I scrated the gasket (exhaust gasket), with the C02 sensor attached to it? up front near the engine bay... when I got home I tried to take a closer look.. I check all along the exhaust pipe system, since its the lowest part of our under carriage, to look for any scratches or damages but I didn't find any.... but I really think I just stracted the gasket with the c02 sensor, but at the very top end or tip of it, the gasket, I think its bent maybe a 1/2 CM or 2-4 MM, maybe not even that much of the gasket or maybe its curved that way, I'm not sure?... I just want to know if this is that BAD? and maybe have serious problems later? or is that outer shell casing (silver) protects what's in it? or What might have scratched if it wasn't the gasket and is it bad? and if it is the gasket is it something I should worry about?
Old 10-03-2001 | 04:58 PM
Pro

i'm confused by your problem and your definition of parts but here's my take. i don't think the scratch was from your o2 sensors (primary and secondary)...the bungs for the sensors are located at the top of the pipe, one at the A-Pipe (after the two banks of exhaust runners meet) and one after the catalytic converter. the gaskets are the flexible rings that connect piping in your exhaust system...a-pipe to cat to b-pipe to mufflers.

you may have scratched your heat shield around the catalytic converter but i would also check your front suspension pieces...namely your lower control arm or even your trailing arm in the rear.

unless you heard a crunch i wouldn't worry about it too much...a scartach is hardly something to worry about as most undercarriages are designed to take some abuse.