HELP: Front Tire shaking bad when driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP: Front Tire shaking bad when driving

My front tire just recently started shaking and rattling really bad when driving and sometimes itll make a noise thats kinda like a squeek, but its not that often. it feels as if the tire is going to fall off. it only shakes when im not accelerating or braking, so basically when im just rolling without hitting any pedals. today i checked the lug nuts on the tires and two of them are kinda loose but i dont have a tire iron on me right now so i havent been able to tighten them. if i turn them like one or two more turns it starts to get tight but loosens when i drive again. if i tighten these lug nuts will the problem go away or is this too much shaking and rattling for two loose nuts? is it safe to drive like this for another day or two with the other 4 nuts(including the lock) tight until i get the tire iron or should i keep it off the road until then?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same thing happened to my father and a co-worker. My father stopped, lifted the car, tightened them up and was all good. My co-worker did the same thing twice and the third time he lost his wheel and fender while doin 40MPH. They kept gettin loose b/c the studs were stripped.
I would pull it off the road (to a shop or your driveway) and have the wheel studs and nuts checked. Replace them if you have to or just re-torque to spec. Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:40 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sometimes when you get your tires replace, the tire place does a bad job at torquing your lugs back in. one time that happened to me at big-o tires and i lost 3 studs and i was driving 65 with two other loose lugs. i had my car towed back to big-o and the store manager came out and apologized and offered to repair the lugs and offered me 4 new tires because of the error. i lucked out that time, but shit, dont do what i did. its better to be safe then sorry. get all your lugs tightened, son, or you'll regret it.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:47 AM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by lopez819
.....today i checked the lug nuts on the tires and two of them are kinda loose but i dont have a tire iron on me right now so i havent been able to tighten them. if i turn them like one or two more turns it starts to get tight but loosens when i drive again. if i tighten these lug nuts will the problem go away or is this too much shaking and rattling for two loose nuts? is it safe to drive like this for another day or two with the other 4 nuts(including the lock) tight until i get the tire iron or should i keep it off the road until then?
If you don't have a lug wrench- you mean you can "turn them like one or two more turns" by hand?!? If that's what you really mean, DON'T drive it until you can properly tighten ALL the lug nuts. They share the load so loose/damaged ones add stress to the ones that are holding-
Old 10-16-2008, 06:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
If you have loose lugnuts STOP DRIVING THE CAR every where go buy a lug wrench or a 19mm socket. Or at teh minimum stop by a tire place and have them tighten them for you. The others may be loose, just not finger loose. Dont drive it around for a few more days.