Help!!! Constant tranny woes!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! Constant tranny woes!!

OK, I haven't posted for months, but I really need you guys' advice. I just got back from the road trip from hell, and I need to make a decision about what to do with my car VERY soon. I took a trip up to Denver/Boulder and then to Las Vegas, and on the way home from Vegas (in Fort Stockton, Texas) my transmission blew out. I knew since Dallas that there was something wrong with the tranny because it was shaking a lot at low RPM's, but when I got into Denver I took it into a Honda service place, and all they could do for the time being was clean out the fuel injection system, but they recommended that I get a new computer (ECU??), because there were a lot of codes going off, including all 6 cylinders misfiring. Anyways, I was really hoping that I could make it back to Austin so that I could get the problem fixed, but about 300 miles from home, s*#% hit the fan. The Maintenance Req'd light came on, so at that point I had Check Engine, TCS and Maintenance lights on, and all of the sudden the tranny just stopped shifting, and at 80 or 90 MPH, the car went into either 3rd or 4th, because it was reving at over 5000, and smoke was everywhere and I had transmission fluid all over the side of my car. I had the car towed to Ft. Stockton, and now I have to make the decision if I should two it 100 miles to Ozona or 300 to Austin. Also, I just had the tranny rebuilt about 6 months ago (because my warranty provider is stingy and wouldn't pay for a new tranny, and I ended up paying $400 more than they did), so I'm thinking about taking it into the shop and talking to them about any existing warranty that they provide on the work they did. I'm just worried that everything will be nullified once they find out that I drove over 1000 miles on a tranny that I knew was falling apart. But I really had no other option. My main question is how much you guys estimate a completely new tranny would cost me. I'm planning on selling the car once it's fixed, because I'm tired of throwing money into this thing. What do you guys think I should do? Your advice is much appreciated.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
how many miles do you have on the car
Old 05-31-2004, 08:19 PM
Advanced

Acura told they do not have "new" tranny's only rebuilt and updated ones.
It was 4400.00 not including labor.
You can spend about the same on a performance trans from PTS or VR.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:32 PM
Instructor

My TL has 71k on it. I have looked into the recall on transmissions, but my car doesn't meet the requirements. It looks like I will have the car towed to the transmission shop and see if I can get them to help me out.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:37 PM
Pro

aclonghorn, that bs man. take it to another dealer. theres a recall on the TRANSMISSION or any parts within it. so if it blew well you should be covered, dont let yoru lowsy dealer feed you bs.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by elah
aclonghorn, that bs man. take it to another dealer. theres a recall on the TRANSMISSION or any parts within it. so if it blew well you should be covered, dont let yoru lowsy dealer feed you bs.
They tried the same crap with me, claiming my car was not subject to any
of the previous tranny issues. After they looked at how many times I had
brought it in for problems, it was replaced as a "goodwill" gesture.

Keep pounding on them
Old 05-31-2004, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aclonghorn
My TL has 71k on it. I have looked into the recall on transmissions, but my car doesn't meet the requirements. It looks like I will have the car towed to the transmission shop and see if I can get them to help me out.
Seems like the dealer you're getting your car serviced at are asses. I would suggest finding a different dealer that will take care of you.

P.S. ALL '99-'02 and some early model '03 TL trannies are covered for 100k.

Trending Topics

Old 05-31-2004, 11:25 PM
Pro

"goodwill" is bullshit man, the warrentee clearly states the AT is covered completly. tell them to print out the acura warrentee coverage paper. i had transmission problems not even as bad as longhorn or half the guys here telling horror stores with them stayin stranded or something similar. hell when i took my car to the shop all i had was an engine light 2000 TL 59k miles the week before the TCS and D5 blinked so i figured tranny = dead, dealer got my car 5 hrs later giving me a rental and the peace of mind they were taking care of it.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
why doesnt it meet the requirements? 99-some 2003 are all covered.they are full of it! the tranny is warrantied to 100,000 miles period! it doesnt matter how many you have had replaced in this amount of time. they have to cover it to 100k. hell they even covered mine 100% at 115k
Old 06-01-2004, 10:47 AM
Cruisin'

Unhappy Tranny Issues

I had to dump my 2001 TL at 72,000 miles due mainly to the Tranny problems. I leased my car in Jan 2001 and replaced the tranny in january 2004 and it still did not seem to shift properly. I wanted to buy the car at the end of the lease, but the tranny and the potential cost for repair was to much along with the numerous squeeks and rattles I just terminated the lease and paid the excess milage charge instaed of prolonging an already unhappy automotive experience. maybe you should consider selling the car and not speading any more $ than you have to on this car.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Instructor

Well, I didn't buy the car from an Acura dealer, I bought it from a performance car dealer. Also, it has had flood damage, which I think voids my chance of taking advantage of the recall. But I have it at the shop that rebuilt the POS six months ago, and the warranty on their work is 12 month, 12,000 miles, so I really hope that their work will be under warranty. They're already working on getting some type of shifting component from Honda, but should I already be asking them if the work they're doing is covered under their warranty? I don't want to come pick the car up and find out that I owe them like $2000 or something. If that happens, I should be able to get my extended warranty company to pay about half of it, but they're really sneaky, so I'm not counting on it. I just want this whole thing to be over. I don't think that I'll even be able to get $11k dollars for the car when it's fixed and I decide to sell it, considering the water damage still being on the title. Any suggestions or comments are MUCH appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Instructor

why do you think that because of flood damage to the vehicle the recall on the transmission is void?
double check, call Honda Motors. i can understand if the 4yr/50,000miles warranty is void.

if a transmission fails after it was rebuilt by a shop and still under warranty....new parts and labor to rebuild the transmission are covered by the warranty! my friend had a transmission on his cadillac rebuilt three times by the shop! don't let the shop trick you!

but do double check with the shop.

if the transmission is covered under warranty, take it to a dealer and have them fix it. regardless if you didn't purchase the car from it. also, try to have Honda Motors pay for the towing fees and transmission rebuilt.