Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 01:31 AM
HU
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!

My 2000 TL was acting up big time tonight. I was driving along and the check engine light came on. The car started shaking to a point where it felt like it was going to stall. The idle was rough and acceleration horrible. The car felt really sluggish when accelerating. I pulled aside and turned off the car for a bit. The light was off when I re-started so I drove it again. A couple of minutes later, I was going up a slight hill, and then the check engine light came on again... but now the TCS light is on with it. I arrived at my destination and left the car there for an hour. Afterwards, I drove home but only the check engine light stayed on. It feels like I am losing a lot of power. Also, the engine continues to idle rough.

Have anyone of you experienced this before? If so, what was the cause and how was it fixed? Is it the on board computer? Maybe the tranny?

This is the first time I experienced this.

It is scaring me cuz the car only has 13,000km on it. What is going to happen in the future? I can pretty guess this car will be extremely expensive to service out of the warranty period.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 09-01-2001, 02:40 AM
Pro

i have experienced this. the dealer replaced the throttle control sensor. to this day the shifting isnt as smooth as i had remembered.

it started when my tranny wouldn't downshift at freeway speeds. then on local streets it became hesitant and sluggish. the check engine light came on. it went away for a couple of weeks then it happened again and it really started to lurch. this is when the TCS light came on. so i took it in and they said it was the sensor. they replaced it under warranty but i really dont think my car is as it used to be...
Old 09-01-2001, 09:53 AM
Intermediate

It could be the linear solenoid problem (happened to my Accord V6). I felt like loosing power (running on 5 cylinders), rought shifting, and VTEC won't engage! Bring it back to the dealer for diagnostic....
Old 09-01-2001, 01:17 PM
HU
Instructor

Thanks for your input.

I just came back from the dealer. The computer diagnostic showed the engine misfiring. They can't find any mechanical problems. They said it must have been bad fuel. I am hearing more instances of bad fuel happening. I hope that is the case. I better check my records to see where I fueled up last.

Well... the car seems fine now so i hope it doesn't happen again!
Old 09-02-2001, 02:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

If it is bad fuel, then you should never gas up at the following:
7-11, Canadian Tire, Arco or any small independent gas stations as the quality of gas cannot be verified or trusted. Best gas is Chevron (IMO). Shell, Esso, PetroCanada are OK, but I find that I don't get that extra "push" that Cheveron has. Oh, and go with 90 octane or better. Anything less might give you problems.