Help! 1300 miles on my TL-S and its in the shop again!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 12:29 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! 1300 miles on my TL-S and its in the shop again!

After many many months of waiting, I finally picked up my new TLS - Navi on Aug 2. I hadn't test driven the specific car that I bought, I had test driven about 3 other TLS's in the 18 months before my purchase and I also used to own a 01 CLS so it seemed redundant to test drive this car, with only 5 miles on it.

This has proven to be a mistake. Within 10 minutes of leaving the dealership, I noticed a 'bog' or 'hesitation' during normal driving around 30-45 mph at about 1200-1800rpm. It was minor and I thought it may just be breaking in so I ignored it. Then it kept happening, every day at various speeds and conditions.

My first trip to the dealership was at 600 miles. They had it for 3 days and claimed that all the tests came back fine and that it was a "normal characteristic" of the vehicle. They also offered to have me meet with the local DSPM from Acura on Aug 26 to discuss it further. I tolerated their answer and wanted my car back, I was so sick of the RSX they gave me as a loaner.

Aug 26- I brought the Acura DSPM out for a long road test, he drove and experienced my problem, several times. He seemed really motivated to get it addressed/fixed for me right away. But alas, after 2 more days in the shop they have tested a battery of items and determined that it it a "normal characteristic" of the vehicle - specifically the tourque converter.

I explained that this is unacceptable for a 30k+ car and that my 01 CLS never had this behaivor. It seems to me that they don't know what is wrong or they dont want to fix it and are hoping I accecpt their weak answers.

What do you all think? What should I do? What has worked for you out there? Can I claim lemon law here?

Thanks for reading such a long post!
Phil
Old 08-29-2003, 12:40 AM
Pro

I have the same problem....and it's only between 30-45 like youself.....it's really annoying and I get the same answer that it's normal.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:14 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try driving in D4 instead of D5. When I accellerate normally in D5 around 45mph, the torque converter does something that is normal but I don't like. It feels like a hesitation/bobble. Drive in D4 and don't have it at all. Only use D5 on the highway!
Old 08-29-2003, 07:34 AM
New Life

NO, NO, NO, if you are not satisfied with your car take it back and make sure that you document the same problem 3 times and then apply the lemon law, it works great here in Florida. You are paying big money for this car and any dealer that tells me that the car is supposed to work like that is going to have a major problem. Read the brochure that they were supposed to give you when you get the car and use it. Maybe your model is a lemon, I have an '03 TLS and I don't have this kind of problems, I pick up mine with 5 miles on it, first and only customer driving it. Also driving in D4 will greatly reduce your mpg. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2003, 07:59 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the replies! They told me to drive it in D4 unless I was planning on going over 40mph, then to put it in D5. I told them that that was rediculous and alot of effort just to drive the car. Its an automatic transimission, it shouldn't require that much thought and effort to use. And, the 3 TLS's I test drove didn't do this and neither did my 01 CLS. I rent cars all the time for work when I travel and I have driven 100's of cars w/ automatics and this is the ONLY car that has ever performed like this.

FidizzyTypeS & PlanoTLS I wouldn't tolerate this kind of performance from a car that you spent this much money on. Push the dealer. You know we have to earn about $45-50k to net $31-33k because of taxes!

I'll keep the board updated with my progress. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Phil
Old 08-29-2003, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you in detail explain what you're experiencing?
I want to know whether my car is experiencing this too without me ever noticing it.

thanks
Old 08-29-2003, 01:09 PM
Advanced

SC354,

There is no doubt that you would have noticed it if your car had the same issues as mine.

Basically, it's a lack of response from the engine when you depress the throttle softly (ie. to go up a small hill). The car will not respond until you push down further and then it is not a smooth accelleration.

The other situation occurs when you are cruising along between 35-45mph and on a flat surface you are maintaining the throttle position for an extended period, the car will sometimes 'bog' or 'burp' for no reason for a second or two then continue normally.

These situations are very obvious to the driver because you know what your right foot is doing and what to expect from the engine. Sometimes the passenger won't even notice.

Phil
Old 08-29-2003, 01:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

take it back again and then throw in the lemon law
Old 08-29-2003, 02:11 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed my TL-S will try to downshift in D5 to 4th gear right at 35mph if my foot is bearly on the pedal and just enough keep it at 35mph. But I have experienced your problem too and 2 occasions within it's 3,600 mile life. I contact Customer Relations about about a possible way to turn off the Grade Logic and he (Lee) pretty much told me to learn how to drive in SS mode. Not the answer I wanted for a brand new car that I can bearly afford to begin with.

I'm really beginning to think that there are only a few people in the whole world that knows how this car works.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Help! 1300 miles on my TL-S and its in the shop again!

Originally posted by pej7445
After many many months of waiting, I finally picked up my new TLS - Navi on Aug 2. I hadn't test driven the specific car that I bought, I had test driven about 3 other TLS's in the 18 months before my purchase and I also used to own a 01 CLS so it seemed redundant to test drive this car, with only 5 miles on it.

This has proven to be a mistake. Within 10 minutes of leaving the dealership, I noticed a 'bog' or 'hesitation' during normal driving around 30-45 mph at about 1200-1800rpm. It was minor and I thought it may just be breaking in so I ignored it. Then it kept happening, every day at various speeds and conditions.

My first trip to the dealership was at 600 miles. They had it for 3 days and claimed that all the tests came back fine and that it was a "normal characteristic" of the vehicle. They also offered to have me meet with the local DSPM from Acura on Aug 26 to discuss it further. I tolerated their answer and wanted my car back, I was so sick of the RSX they gave me as a loaner.

Aug 26- I brought the Acura DSPM out for a long road test, he drove and experienced my problem, several times. He seemed really motivated to get it addressed/fixed for me right away. But alas, after 2 more days in the shop they have tested a battery of items and determined that it it a "normal characteristic" of the vehicle - specifically the tourque converter.

I explained that this is unacceptable for a 30k+ car and that my 01 CLS never had this behaivor. It seems to me that they don't know what is wrong or they dont want to fix it and are hoping I accecpt their weak answers.

What do you all think? What should I do? What has worked for you out there? Can I claim lemon law here?

Thanks for reading such a long post!
Phil

You have the hickup too? I have had it on my 2002 TK-S since it was new. Also after my tranny broke and was replaced, the hickup did not go away. I have talked a bunch of times about the hickup on this board.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by PlanoTLS
Try driving in D4 instead of D5. When I accellerate normally in D5 around 45mph, the torque converter does something that is normal but I don't like. It feels like a hesitation/bobble. Drive in D4 and don't have it at all. Only use D5 on the highway!

Well, it happens to me even in D4. It happens less frequently in D4 but it still happens.

Once it was so bad, hickupping many times in a row, I thought the engine was going to stall. I had to pump the gas pedal to keep the engine running.

Also one time it had a scary hickup at 80mph on a highway.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

I wish I had thought about going the lemon law way. I think it is too late for me now - I have had my TLS for 2 years. I think lemon law applies only within the first year, right?

Also it probably would require to waste a lot of one's time to do lemon law. If the dealer was nearby I would do it.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Drive in D4 ?!?!? I don't think you should have to do that. D5 is part of the vehicle. That's like telling someone to use low if the high speed on the windshield wipers didn't work. I drive in SS all the time, but drove in D5 for my first 1000 miles or so before learning about the SS. Like all above said, for $30K+, the car shouldn't be doing this......eeehhhh.....dealers.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:02 PM
Advanced

I would strongly suggest that anyone that has this problem make sure you call 1-800-422-2872 (800- 4 a acura) and log this problem with Acura. All the dealerships operate in a bubble and Acura doesn't keep track of trends from their dealers. I called them yesterday. If enough people notify them, maybe they will take some steps to fix this.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:11 PM

Have you gone to the Acura website and logged into the Owner's Link? It will show you information about any recalls regarding your car. I remember seeing something regarding faulty ignition switches that may cause hesitation or stalling. It might be worth a try. Good Luck!
Old 08-29-2003, 04:12 PM

Have you gone to the Acura website and registered, or logged into the Owner's Link? It will show you information about any recalls regarding your car. I remember seeing something regarding faulty ignition switches that may cause hesitation or stalling. It might be worth a try. Good Luck!
Old 08-29-2003, 04:14 PM

Sorry for the double post.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:02 PM
Advanced

I'm registered and I'm not on the list for the Ignition or the Transmission recalls. No recalls or TSB's on my particular TL right now.

Thanks for the suggestion

Phil