Hello Everyone

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 03:48 PM

Smile Hello Everyone

Hello All! I am new to this forum and to Acura TL's as well. Currently I am looking for a vehicle to replace my 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT because the car has been nothing but problems. I have been looking at several cars and have narrowed it down to a list of four cars:
1.) Acura TL Type S
2.) BMW 325i Sport
3.) Mercedes C Class 240 Sport
4.) Lexus IS 300

I just happened to stumble on some information about the TL so I decided to look into it further today.....and wow! I had no idea how much of aftermarket and following there is for these cars! I have just about made up my mind that a Black TL Type S is going to be my next car, but I just have a few questions.

1) Have any of you had any problems with your TL's and if so how are they being handled by the dealer/company?
2) Do any of you regret buying your cars, and if so what would you change?

Thanks in advance to everyone and I hope to be the proud new owner of a TL here in about a week! I will also be a major contributor on this forum like I have been for the last couple months on the eclipse board www.neweclipseforums.com
Thanks again
Old 09-13-2001, 03:53 PM
The "old" guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the board!

Only problem I have had is a "creaky" drivers seat. Had 2 minor recalls that you wont have on your car if you havent bought yet. Some people have had paint issues and it does seem that the paint is much more fragile than it should be. Even with all of that taken into account....the value of the TL-S, or even the TL-P is far beyond anything in their price range! I shopped it against an Audi A6 2.7T (what I really wanted but couldnt justify the extra 9 grand), BMW 330, Leus ES300 and several others. Just suffice it to say.....I own the TL-S.
Old 09-13-2001, 10:27 PM
Drifting

Problems on my 4000 mile 02 TLS:
  • Creaky driver's door - fixed by moving door striker in a little bit.
  • Clicking driver's seat - fixed by replacing entire seat base.
  • Creaking seat belt buckle - fixed by me spraying WD-40 on the hinge.
  • Cut in leather - fixed by replacing the leather cover.
  • Once in a blue moon thumping noise inside driver's side seat belt retractor (B pillar) - Not fixed yet.
  • Once a day clicking noise in seat back - Not fixed yet, but I think I know what's causing it.
  • Crazy Navi unit thinks I'm turning all the time - Getting a new control unit put in this Wednesday.
  • Thin paint - What to do?

Things that I think will go wrong in the next year:
  • Passenger side B-pillar plastic cover will need replacing because seat belt buckle is hitting it all the time.
  • Center console latch will finally give out.
  • Weatherseal around the door will crack because I keep bumping into it.

Will I buy this car again? YOU BET! Despite these very minor problems, I'm having a blast with the car. The engine is marvellous, the look is conservative yet distinguished, and the list of features is impressive.

Most TL complaints center around creaks and squeaks, and are usually permanently fixable. There have been several tranny problems but they are relatively rare. And there are very few engine problems to speak of as well.
Old 09-13-2001, 10:38 PM
Pro

Lemme see..... OH YES how can i forget?!?!?!?! i regret NOT getting the Navi... and also i was MAD when i found out that the TL-S is coming out a couple months later after i got my car... other then that well everything is good. if i were to do it again i have to be NAVI and TL-S 6sp with 300hp (when it comes out of course <---- it better to compete with Maxima + Cramy + Solara)
Old 09-14-2001, 08:33 AM

Talking

Thanks for your input everyone. I will going down to minneapolis in about a week to at least drive if not buy one of these cars! Another thing, what kind of payments are normal for a lease on one of these cars? I have heard anywhere from middle 300's to upper 400's. Anything that I should know for negotiating? Thanks again everyone!