Health risk from rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DesertFox
she grew up in Papua New Guinea and ate fish over the period of time she lived there (about 7 years) quite a bit and now she has kidney damage
and yes she ingested it which is different than inhalation
but have you ever filled a gas can and carried it in a car
i dont care if you have the windows open or what
you inhale the fumes
you can suffer from headaches
your eyes can get very irratated
you can get severly nauseated
if it is very hot (105 degree texas summer) you can get skin burns

I missed the part where it was determined these mirrors have mercury in them.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:42 PM
04 Black Infiniti I35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my mirror replaced few minutes ago and I feel a huge relive that I wont need to worry about having my interior all fucked up from leaking toxins from the mirror.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I felt the same thing...
Old 09-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Intermediate

Rearview Mirror Class Action Lawsuit

I am CEMCFLC, the individual that originally posted the information regarding a class action lawsuit against Magna Donnelly, the manufacturer of my defective rearview mirror. I would like to thank the individual that posted this new thread. I apologize for not responding to everyone sooner. I haven't viewed the Acurazine website for quite some time now, as I'm very busy w/work, kids, etc.

I feel that it's important to note that I, and my fiance, both earn six figures a year, so the money is not a factor in this case. For those of you that are skeptics and feel this case is not justifiable, please know that I am highly educated, an outstanding member of my community, and have received numerous IT-related awards throughout the years. This class action lawsuit is not just about the health risks associated w/contamination to the toxic chemicals in Magna's rearview mirrors, but also about the millions [perhaps, billions] of dollars of damage sustained when an a rearview mirror ruptures.

Magna Donnelly is knowingly imposing these risks upon the public, yet they're not willing to issue a recall on these defective mirrors. Additionally, most warranties just happen to exclude this particular component of your car. To date, Magna Donnelly has willingly replaced [millions?] of these rearview mirrors (at no charge) to consumers of Acura's, Honda's, and numerous other automobile manufacturers.

Last year, my attorney and I signed a non-disclosure agreement w/Magna Donnelly requiring them to reveal the chemical contents of their rearview mirrors. Upon further investigation, it was determined that all of the chemicals in Magna Donnelly's old rearview mirrors are toxic when inhaled. Although, I'm unable to reveal the chemical contents to anyone (due to the non-disclosure agreement I was required to sign) please understand that if you're mirror has just exploded and you're in your car with the doors closed, the windows up, and the interior of your car is 120 degrees+, and you've inhaled these toxic fumes, I'm almost certain that it can't be beneficial to you or anyone else in your car (not excluding a pregnant woman and her fetus).

Two years ago, the rearview mirror in my 2000 Acura TL exploded and a black liquid sprayed throughout the interior of my car. It corroded a large hole through my center console (which was replaced by Acura/Honda at no charge), damaged my leather seats and carpet (which Acura/Honda refused to replace, but did perform a thorough cleaning of both...the dealer invoice stated MERCURY leak), and also prompted the replacement of my rearview mirror (which was also replaced by Acura/Honda at no charge).

Just imagine...if chemicals are toxic enough to corrode a hole through your center console, what effect do those chemicals have on you when inhaled?

Prior to being exposed to these chemicals, I was a very healthy, athletic woman. Coincidently, upon exposure, I became ill w/chronic fevers, sore throats, sinus and gastrointestinal problems...all of which I (and my attorney) believe are toxic effects resulting from exposure to the toxic chemicals (primarily, when inhaled...not ingested) outlined in Magna Donnelly's MSDS sheet.

Once again, if (after reading this post) you are still interested in joining this class action lawsuit, please respond to this thread and I will follow up w/you, accordingly.

Regards,

CEMCFLC
Old 09-12-2007, 02:11 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us CEMCFLC. I don't really have any evidence against Magna, but would be more than happy to help in any way that I can. Let me know what tests you ended up having to take and what they found out about it.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by cemcflc
I am CEMCFLC, the individual that originally posted the information regarding a class action lawsuit against Magna Donnelly, the manufacturer of my defective rearview mirror. I would like to thank the individual that posted this new thread. I apologize for not responding to everyone sooner. I haven't viewed the Acurazine website for quite some time now, as I'm very busy w/work, kids, etc.

I feel that it's important to note that I, and my fiance, both earn six figures a year, so the money is not a factor in this case. For those of you that are skeptics and feel this case is not justifiable, please know that I am highly educated, an outstanding member of my community, and have received numerous IT-related awards throughout the years. This class action lawsuit is not just about the health risks associated w/contamination to the toxic chemicals in Magna's rearview mirrors, but also about the millions [perhaps, billions] of dollars of damage sustained when an a rearview mirror ruptures.

Magna Donnelly is knowingly imposing these risks upon the public, yet they're not willing to issue a recall on these defective mirrors. Additionally, most warranties just happen to exclude this particular component of your car. To date, Magna Donnelly has willingly replaced [millions?] of these rearview mirrors (at no charge) to consumers of Acura's, Honda's, and numerous other automobile manufacturers.

Last year, my attorney and I signed a non-disclosure agreement w/Magna Donnelly requiring them to reveal the chemical contents of their rearview mirrors. Upon further investigation, it was determined that all of the chemicals in Magna Donnelly's old rearview mirrors are toxic when inhaled. Although, I'm unable to reveal the chemical contents to anyone (due to the non-disclosure agreement I was required to sign) please understand that if you're mirror has just exploded and you're in your car with the doors closed, the windows up, and the interior of your car is 120 degrees+, and you've inhaled these toxic fumes, I'm almost certain that it can't be beneficial to you or anyone else in your car (not excluding a pregnant woman and her fetus).

Two years ago, the rearview mirror in my 2000 Acura TL exploded and a black liquid sprayed throughout the interior of my car. It corroded a large hole through my center console (which was replaced by Acura/Honda at no charge), damaged my leather seats and carpet (which Acura/Honda refused to replace, but did perform a thorough cleaning of both...the dealer invoice stated MERCURY leak), and also prompted the replacement of my rearview mirror (which was also replaced by Acura/Honda at no charge).

Just imagine...if chemicals are toxic enough to corrode a hole through your center console, what effect do those chemicals have on you when inhaled?

Prior to being exposed to these chemicals, I was a very healthy, athletic woman. Coincidently, upon exposure, I became ill w/chronic fevers, sore throats, sinus and gastrointestinal problems...all of which I (and my attorney) believe are toxic effects resulting from exposure to the toxic chemicals (primarily, when inhaled...not ingested) outlined in Magna Donnelly's MSDS sheet.

Once again, if (after reading this post) you are still interested in joining this class action lawsuit, please respond to this thread and I will follow up w/you, accordingly.

Regards,

CEMCFLC
How many people are in their cars windows up with it over 120+ deg inside??????
Old 09-12-2007, 02:15 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
People who live in hot temps who just get into their car after it has been sitting out in the sun all day
Old 09-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Intermediate

I agree, when it's 90+ out and in the sun, and your TL is black/black......

MagnaD replaced mine about 2 years ago, gratis, because the blue auto-dim was fading away from the edges and becoming worse and worse. Until i read this thread, i had no idea about these problems!
Old 09-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
People who live in hot temps who just get into their car after it has been sitting out in the sun all day
It doesnt say get in their cars.
And i quote.....
please understand that if you're mirror has just exploded and you're in your car with the doors closed, the windows up, and the interior of your car is 120 degrees+
Old 09-12-2007, 06:48 PM
T-Swzy

dammit kris you're ruining my fun, i had half a mind to randomly sue the hell out of anybody who stood between me and a new mirror.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I smell an opportunist. Sorry, thousands before you have cemented my cynicism.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:40 AM
2nd Gear

This happened to me..

I have a 2001 TL, and my mirror leaked about a year ago. The material from the mirror dissolved the paint from the shifter console, and gouged it as well. I did not have any other damage, and do not believe it exploded or sprayed around the car. I did get the liquid on my hands. However, I had no symptoms that I can recall, and do not have any recognizable chronic issues (thus far) from this, so perhaps I was lucky.

I tried to get in touch with Magna, but they were of no help, and my Acura dealer was willing to charge me full price for a mirror and console. My car was indeed out of warranty, but this I thought was not a typical 'old age' or misuse situation, this was a design flaw.

I called the Acura customer service number and explained my situation. All I wanted was a warranty replacement of the damaged parts and a new mirror. After a few days I got a call telling me that Acura had authorized a full warranty repair. Everything was replaced, and works just fine now.

I like my dimming mirror. True there may be hazardous material in there. But it is the responsibility of the manufactures to ensure that it can not be harmfully exposed under normal conditions.

Replacing the mirror sounds a bit overzealous, especially considering the fluids, freons, fuels, oils etc that are surrounding you in a vehicle. Plenty of other things, in likely greater quantity, that are harmful. I don't want to discount the risk nor the health effects the material in the mirror could or did cause...I am sure they are significant. I just want to point out that replacing a mirror because it could explode seems odd in a vehicle that could explode for lots of reasons, and likely has a higher risk of killing/damaging you for reasons unrelated to a mirror.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:07 PM
2nd Gear

Regards,

CEMCFLC
I am interested in finding about what is going on with this. I am primarily interested in chemical analysis. I did find some patent info but at this point can't determine if relevant at this time. If you are still around please contact me. My post count is too low to send you a pm apparently.

Do the Chemicals in the MSDS report your Lawyer "has" match what is listed in this patent.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5076674.html
Old 05-03-2008, 05:57 AM
Burning Brakes

are you for real???
Old 05-05-2008, 03:44 AM
8th Gear

Hi guys. Does anyone knows of a non-magna (read, non-fading, no-gimmick, regular mirror) that'd fit our 2nd gen TL? I checked acurcarland.com, its $99 ( MIRROR ASSY., REARVIEW *TBLACK* (AUTO DAY/NIGHT) ) . I'd pay that much just so that I can rest assure it doesn't explode, but I think its electic-fading one as OEM (I think it is). What are the alternative for DIY guys whos out of warranty, who just want a freakin non-exploding mirror.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Something is missing...my

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
go to acura and by a new mirror for your car. ~$100. Fixed mirror, no issues. (not regular, electrochromic.) They are fine. Also, don't get too freaked out on the hype. Mercury has a very high boiling point (674.11 °F). You will not inhale mercury, the only way you will get mercury in your system is if you lick the mirror after it explodes. It doesn't burn things (unless you heat it up on the stove and put it on something), kids and parents used mercury thermometers (oral and rectal) for years and years and civilization is still in existence in North America. The issues are likely overstated and if you feel it necesssary to replace it for $100 for prevention, you should also consider buying only organic food and products from whole foods or store of choice (costs at least 60 - 200% more than normal) and SURELY don't spray for bugs, use cleaning products around your house, might even consider holding your breath when others sneeze/cough, and purchase a respirator or an n 95 particulate face mask for airplane rides. BUT, if you don't you will probably be ok.

Don't get me wrong, I eat organic meat, milk and use organic shampoo, but there has to be a point of reason. Decrease your exposure to chemicals where you are actually EXPOSED to them. IF you jump in your car and the mirror blew up, jump back out for 20 minutes with doors open to ventilate, and buy a new mirror. Or, go buy one. But realize, you are exposed to MANY toxic chemicals every day and your mirror really is very likely a very low priority.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
any update on free replacemnts from MD, or if they reached deal with acura on who was paying for them?
I was able to get a freebie from the maker last year- by filling out the form and asking!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
any update on free replacemnts from MD, or if they reached deal with acura on who was paying for them?
I was able to get a freebie from the maker last year- by filling out the form and asking!
Ealier this year I tried to get one, and was stone walled by MD. No response to many voice/emails to a bunch of their employees.

I bought my replacement for $77, and thought it was piece of mind. apparently new versions do not use liquid.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:00 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bibledriver
Mercury has a very high boiling point (674.11 °F). You will not inhale mercury, the only way you will get mercury in your system is if you lick the mirror after it explodes.
Mercury is absorbed through the skin genius.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:36 AM
T-Swzy

Originally Posted by AZP-TL
which goes back to mercury not being gaseous until 600 and something degrees. otherwise you'd have to have liquid mercury sittin on your skin to absorb it

i bought a replacement on ebay last year for 70 bucks cause MD was being stupid about it. if you're that worried about yourself and your passengers, shell it out for peace of mind
Old 05-06-2008, 09:26 AM

I became ill w/chronic fevers, sore throats, sinus and gastrointestinal problems
Ok wise one, does that sound like skin absorption or inhalation. Further, does the post mention that the mercury got all over him. He also noted that he was advised to sell the car due to Mercury falling down between the seat where it was no longer accessible (doesn't sound like skin absorption to me, you?).

Learn how to think BEFORE you insult people and implicate yourself better than others.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bibledriver
Mercury has a very high boiling point (674.11 °F). You will not inhale mercury, the only way you will get mercury in your system is if you lick the mirror after it explodes. It doesn't burn things (unless you heat it up on the stove and put it on something), kids and parents used mercury thermometers (oral and rectal) for years and years and civilization is still in existence in North America.
I have seen no evidence Mercury is contained in these mirrors. If someone has this information please share it and if someone has already posted it and I missed it please point it out. thx The Donnelley Corp mirror patent I listed earlier does not list Mercury. That of course doesn't mean it isn't present.

Oxidizing agents can also vaporize Mercury. It is a VERY TOXIC liquid. It is also CORROSIVE to many metals. It also forms amalgams with some metals.
It is NOT responsible to make a blanket implication that it is SAFE when you do not know the chemical components involved and their interactions. There are more ways to vaporize it than heat and regardless, if it is sprayed over the interior of a vehicle it can still be a hazard most reasonable folks would likely choose to avoid regardless of being advised it was somehow good for them to be in a vehicle that may even be mildly contaminated.
How do we know there is Mercury in the Mirrors?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:13 AM

I must have missed the part that I said that Hg is safe. Wait, that is becuase I didn't say that. Honestly if the known agents were so toxic, then I would think that there would be much more media on the issue. If you want to quote me do it properly. I also said that you can get a new mirror for ~ $100. Further explaining that there are many other toxens that we are exposed to daily.Mercury amalgamates, yes. compounds of it can be bad. I gained the Mercury from what the long post was. I am a big proponent about limiting toxens, however also know that there is a good chance the same people stirred up about this are also using many toxic substances in their shampoo, cleaning agents, light bulbs, pesticides, eating hormaone antibiotic pumped meat, etc. on a daily basis. That is more along the lines of my point. I didn't say it is safe. I did say that there is MANY other things that one should worry about (and these things are not contained in a somewhat sealed container) before the mirror in their car. So due to this misunderstanding let me say I am sorry for playing the devils advocate to those who perceive my message as one of safety. My message is this: BE REASONABLE.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 05-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Leakage and meltage

'00 Acura TL - I've got the infamous mirror defect, it leaked and melted parts on my shift console. After many many many repeated attempts to speak to someone at Magna, I finally gave up. I was definitely stonewalled.

Any recommendations for a mirror with a little built-in compass/heading indicator?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:45 PM

the same company makes them, i know (not that you feel inclined to give them your business).

Search "rearview mirror exploded" and you will find a slew of info, and my get a free mirror. Mine was bad when I bought the car, the new and improved one cost me about $100 through Acura. Good luck
Old 05-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by obespalov
"I hired an attorney to subpoena the list of chemicals from Magna. To my (and my attorney's) surprise, all of the chemicals used in their mirrors are highly toxic. One of the main symptoms, upon being exposed to these chemicals, is a chronic sore throat and interstinal problems. "
I searched the US Patent Office for patents obtained/filed for by Magna Donnelly. Lots of chemicals are listed there. I don't see mercury, but lots of other toxic crap like polyvinyl chloride (PVC).

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...FIELD2=&d=PTXT
Old 05-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

OSHA - Mercury Vapor Health Hazard Info

You obviously didn't do your research. Shame on you.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguide...cognition.html

HEALTH HAZARD INFORMATION

* Routes of Exposure

Exposure to mercury vapor can occur through inhalation, and eye or skin contact.
* Summary of toxicology

1. Effects on Animals: Mercury vapor can damage the kidneys, liver, brain, heart, lungs and colon in experimental animals. It is also mutagenic and can affect the immune system. Rabbits exposed for a single 4 hour period to mercury vapor at a concentration of 28.8 mg/m(3) developed severe damage to the kidneys, liver, brain, heart, lungs, and colon [Clayton and Clayton 1981]. Rabbits exposed to 0.86 mg/m(3) for 6 weeks had significant brain and kidney damage, which resolved on cessation of exposure. Exposure to 6 mg/m(3) mercury vapor caused severe damage to the kidney, heart, lung, and brain of rabbits; however, dogs exposed to 0.1 mg/m(3) for 83 weeks had no microscopic indication of tissue damage [Clayton and Clayton 1981]. Mercury may injure the kidneys through an autoimmune mechanism [ACGIH 1991]. Mercury was mutagenic in eukaryotic cells [ACGIH 1991].

2. Effects on Humans: Mercury vapor can cause effects in the central and peripheral nervous systems, lungs, kidneys, skin and eyes in humans. It is also mutagenic and affects the immune system [Hathaway et al. 1991; Clayton and Clayton 1981; Rom 1992]. Acute exposure to high concentrations of mercury vapor causes severe respiratory damage, while chronic exposure to lower levels is primarily associated with central nervous system damage [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Chronic exposure to mercury is also associated with behavioral changes and alterations in peripheral nervous system [ACGIH 1991]. Pulmonary effects of mercury vapor inhalation include diffuse interstitial pneumonitis with profuse fibrinous exudation [Gosselin 1984]. Glomerular dysfunction and proteinuria have been observed mercury exposed workers [ACGIH 1991]. Chronic mercury exposure can cause discoloration of the cornea and lens, eyelid tremor and, rarely, disturbances of vision and extraocular muscles [Grant 1986]. Delayed hypersensitivity reactions have been reported in individuals exposed to mercury vapor [Clayton and Clayton 1981]. Mercury vapor is reported to be mutagenic in humans, causing aneuploidy in lymphocytes of exposed workers [Hathaway et al. 1991].

* Signs and symptoms of exposure

1. Acute exposure: Acute inhalation of mercury vapor may result in toxicity similar to metal fume fever including chills, nausea, general malaise, tightness in the chest, chest pains, dyspnea, cough, stomatitis, gingivitis, salivation, and diarrhea [ACGIH 1991; Hathaway et al. 1991].

2. Chronic exposure: Chronic exposure to mercury may result in weakness, fatigue, anorexia, weight loss, and disturbance of gastrointestinal function. A tremor may develop beginning with the fingers, eyelids, and lips which may progress to generalized trembling of the entire body and violent chronic spasms of the extremities. Parallel with development of the tremors, behavioral and personality changes may develop including increased excitability, memory loss, insomnia, and depression. The skin may exhibit abnormal blushing, dermographia, excessive sweating and irregular macular rashes. Severe salivation and gingivitis is also characteristic of chronic toxicity [Hathaway et al. 1991; Gosselin 1984]. Another manifestation of chronic mercury exposure is characterized by apathy, anorexia, flush, fever, a nephrotic syndrome with albuminuria and generalized edema, diaphoresis, photophobia, insomnia and a pruritic and sometimes painful scaling or peeling of the skin of the hands and feet with bullous lesions [Gosselin 1984].

EMERGENCY MEDICAL PROCEDURES

* Emergency medical procedures: [NIOSH to supply]

5. Rescue: Remove an incapacitated worker from further exposure and implement appropriate emergency procedures (e.g., those listed on the Material Safety Data Sheet required by OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard [29 CFR 1910.1200]). All workers should be familiar with emergency procedures, the location and proper use of emergency equipment, and methods of protecting themselves during rescue operations.

EXPOSURE SOURCES AND CONTROL METHODS

The following operations may involve mercury and lead to worker exposures to the vapor of this substance:

* The mining, production, and transportation of mercury
* The mining and refining operations for gold and silver ores

* Use in thermometers, manometers, barometers, gauges, and valves

* Use in amalgams for dentistry, preservatives, heat transfer technology, pigments, catalysts, and in lubricating oils

Methods that are effective in controlling worker exposures to mercury vapor, depending on the feasibility of implementation, are as follows:

* Process enclosure
* Local exhaust ventilation
* General dilution ventilation
* Personal protective equipment
Workers responding to a release or potential release of a hazardous substance must be protected as required by paragraph (q) of OSHA's Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Standard [29 CFR 1910.120].
Old 05-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Intermediate

The Facts

I apologize for not responding to this post for some time. I'm a Sr. Analyst for a large corporation and work 80+ hours per week. I also have a teenage daughter who keeps me rather busy, so rarely have time to review these postings. In any case, for those of you interested, these are the facts:

● Magna and its vendees are aware that a series of Magna’s mirrors are defective in that they leak liquid;

● Magna and its vendees are also aware that the liquid which leaks contains at least six chemicals which are known to be hazardous to humans; and

● Magna and its vendees are further aware of the pervasiveness of the leaking. For example, the dealership where my car was serviced, replaced 67 of the same "leaky" mirrors within one (1) year.

● Magna Donnelley Chemical #1 is an irritant and can cause tightness and pain in the chest, coughing and difficulty in breathing;

● Magna Donnelley Chemical #2 is hazardous in case of skin or eye contact or inhalation;

● Magna Donnelley Chemical #3 is hazardous if inhaled and is toxic to lungs, mucous membranes; prolonged exposure can produce target organs damage;

● Magna Donnelley Chemical #4 is an eye and skin irritant and can damage the liver and nervous system and can affect blood cells causing anemia;

● Magna Donnelley Chemical #5 is a skin, eyes and respiratory tract irritant when inhaled and can cause other serious health ailments; and

● Magna Donnelley Chemical #6 is an eye, and skin irritant if inhaled or ingested; inhalation can also effect mucous membrane and cause upper respiratory tract irritation.

Moreover, certain of the chemicals, including Magna Donnelley Chemicals #2 and #5, are odorless so public may not even be aware of exposure.

In addition to causing personal injuries, the leaking liquid causes property damage: it stains car seats and carpets and corrodes dashboards, gear shift boxes and other plastic parts.

As a result of coming in contact with the liquid amalgam, I have experienced a variety of physical ailments: frequent low-grade fevers, a sore/swollen throat, congestion, chronic cough, chronic post-nasal drip, and blood in my urine.

The chemical components included by Magna in its mirrors are known to cause (in humans) the exact physical ailments suffered by me.

Magna is liable to all persons similarly situated for their personal injures and property damage.

The mirrors were obviously negligently designed and manufactured by Magna. They should not leak. Magna Donnelley Chemical #2 is combustible at high temperatures such as those reached in locked cars during warm weather, especially in the Southeast United States. Magna Donnelley Chemical #1, Magna Donnelley Chemical #3, and Magna Donnelley Chemical #5 are also known to be unstable in the heat.

Furthermore, the mirrors’ seals used by Magna are subject to failure, particularly under the stress imposed when the chemical components are heated.

Additionally, Magna and its vendees allow these mirrors to be included in cars which are warranted to be of a high quality, when Magna and its vendees, in fact know that the mirrors are of poor quality. Therefore, in addition to common law violations, Magna and its vendees’ are liable for statutory violations, including all states’ consumer protection laws and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act.

Moreover, Magna and its vendees are grossly negligent for failing to initiate a recall to remove the defective, hazardous mirrors from commerce.

This action is ripe for class treatment. The proposed class is so numerous that joinder of all members is impracticable, there are questions of law and fact common to the members of a proposed class that predominate over any questions affecting the public are typical of the claims of the class.

RESOLUTION
While I could have pursued a law suit on my own, and most likely settled (very discretely) w/Magna, I feel a strong civic and social responsibility to compel Magna and Magna’s vendees, including Honda (and other automotive manufacturers) to remove Magna’s defective mirrors from commerce.

Magna and its vendees are needlessly exposing thousands of car drivers and passengers to these hazards. The unknowing victims certainly include the pregnant, the elderly, the young and the ill. In addition to programmatic relief and compensation for personal and property damage, Magna’s knowing refusal to correct this problem exposes it to liability for exemplary damages.

I am dedicated to compelling Magna and its vendees (particularly, Honda) to take full corrective measures. I believe that I have an opportunity to save unwitting individuals who will likely be exposed to these hazards. I intend to compel Magna and its vendees to reform its wrongful practices through programmatic and monetary relief.

To that end, I suggest that Magna undertake the following:

1. a recall of all defective mirrors;

2. payment by Magna of a fixed amount into a class settlement fund to be shared by class members who suffered PERSONAL INJURIES;

3. payment by Magna of a fixed amount into a class settlement fund to be shared by class members who suffered PROPERTY DAMAGE; and

4. payment of attorney's fees, to be discussed after resolution of the class claims.

If anyone knows of an attorney that would be interested in taking on this class action suit, please tell them to post their contact information and I will follow-up with them, accordingly. Thank you.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:02 PM
2nd Gear

II own 1999 TL and 2002 MDX. Both cars are equipped with those defective mirrors.
The one on TL just cracked. I contacted Magna Donnelley and Acura regarding health issues can be caused by the chemicals inside the mirror. Both companies refused to assist. I called NHTSA ( National Highway Traffic Safety Administration )at 888-327-4236 and file official complain. There is chance for recall if sufficient number of companies will be filed.

Take a action
Old 06-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

My old mirror got thrown out. I should have kept it.

We want to have kids shortly, so I didnt want my wife to be driving around with this shoty mirror in our car.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear

File complain anyway
Old 06-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Owner www.2ndgen.info

Magna Donnelly wont respond anyways at this point. I tried calling and emailing and only response was this:

Ty,
I will try to assist you. I would recommend you contact your trusted Acura dealer for a service replacement part. Your dealer may charge you for a service replacement part because your vehicle is out of warranty. Other options include choosing to purchase a replacement after-market part on your own.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me. I have included my contact information below.

Thank you,

Steve Chenlo
Quality Assurance
Office: 616-786-7495
Fax: 616-786-7560
Magna Donnelly Corporation
3575 128th Ave. North
Holland, Mi 49424

A b.s. answer that didn't address any of my concerns. I mentioned that I would like a replacement sent to me before the issue causes health and property damage and as you can see none of those were addressed in the response I feel that the company needs to stand by these products regardless of age and fix the mistakes they have made.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikePA
Blah, blah, blah. I didn't quote your message because one copy of your drivel is enough.

I wasn't responding to the original poster, you moron. This so called 'exploding mirror' problem is not widespread and anyone looking to make money off the so called problems caused by it, as the person I responded to (I mentioned this again in case you forgot already) is simply someone looking to win lawsuit lottery.

Apparently you're the one without a job! Otherwise, how would you be posting at 5:03AM. MikePA, it's not like the person is suing over broken window regulators or a flat tire! If you weren't so ignorant, you'd know that any given car has hundreds of toxic chemicals as it is and maybe you got your fair dose of it from other sources such as sniffing gasoline or something!

Back on topic; are there any updates to alleviate the pain/suffering and the fears of breakage/chemical intoxication in the future?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Advanced

Cemcflc, great post! Great approach! Let's see what happens.. It's not like a hippy movement if the chemicals are really that toxic. Complain and file with NHTSA etc, if enough people do it and if enough people make enough of a Public stink and/or send emails/call the company as well as collaborate with an attorney/lawyer, things should go well.

Question is, is the ill feeling permanent or is there a healing period/detox period?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:06 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 05v6solara
Apparently you're the one without a job! Otherwise, how would you be posting at 5:03AM.
Did you ever hear of 'getting up early'? Apparently not.

Thanks for replying to a post almost 2 years old.

MikePA, it's not like the person is suing over broken window regulators or a flat tire! If you weren't so ignorant, you'd know that any given car has hundreds of toxic chemicals as it is and maybe you got your fair dose of it from other sources such as sniffing gasoline or something!
Just thinking about all the toxic chemicals makes me giddy with the thought of all the lawsuits possible.

Back on topic; are there any updates to alleviate the pain/suffering and the fears of breakage/chemical intoxication in the future?
Ask what you mean, i.e., Is it too late to play lawsuit lottery?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:24 AM
Racer

So this is only for tl's or tsx's as well?...
Old 10-17-2008, 10:00 AM
2nd Gear

Is this still being pursued?!

If cemcflc is still monitoring this forum, please get in touch with me. I actually licked this stupid stuff (I know, I'm an idiot...I thought it was coffee splatter on my sunglasses), and coincidentally am not feeling well (started before the ingestion though - headaches all week - again - coincidence that the mirror issue started 5 days ago) (stomach pains for 3 nights, very bad last night). I have contacted poison control, and am going to Acura dealership today, but I really would like the right information to provide to a doctor on what the heck I ingested. Can't find anything online, and i'm kinda freaking out about it.

Thank you.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jakesaccount
If cemcflc is still monitoring this forum, please get in touch with me. I actually licked this stupid stuff (I know, I'm an idiot...I thought it was coffee splatter on my sunglasses), and coincidentally am not feeling well (started before the ingestion though - headaches all week - again - coincidence that the mirror issue started 5 days ago) (stomach pains for 3 nights, very bad last night). I have contacted poison control, and am going to Acura dealership today, but I really would like the right information to provide to a doctor on what the heck I ingested. Can't find anything online, and i'm kinda freaking out about it.

Thank you.
I just sent cemcflc a private mesasge that you were trying to reach him. I also provided him with a link to this thread. Hopefully he'll get in touch with you soon.

By the way, the redesigned mirrors apparently have a solid core and they will not leak.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:06 AM
4th Gear

Exclamation Heavy Metal Toxicity

If anyone knows of an attorney that would be interested in taking on this class action suit, please tell them to post their contact information and I will follow-up with them, accordingly. Thank you.
Around 2004, I started to get very sick. I lost weeks of work from a job that I had just started and was in and out of doctors who couldn't find anything wrong with me. One doctor told me that I had a heart murmur, which I never had before. I could find the energy to get up or even make myself something to eat. My husband thought I was dying. I felt like I was dying.

It was sometime around that some timeframe that my husband accidentally cleaned my Acura's auto-dimming rearview mirror with Windex and it started to look liked it was melting. Weeks to months later, their was some brownish goop on my center console. I didn't know what it was. I just thought my husband spilled something in my car, so I wiped it up with a cloth. The next day, it happened again, so I looked up at my mirror and found that my mirror was dripping fluid on my console. I wiped it up again and wiped the mirror off and was really only concerned that I had to replace what would probably be an expensive mirror that was out of warranty and leaked because of something we did (i.e., clean it with Windex). It eventually stopped leaking, but it did get into cracks/crevaces and into the area where the gear shifter is. I always caught it quickly, so it never damaged my car.

Since there is no warning on the mirror or in the owners manual that the contents are toxic, I didn't think much of it, nor did I put two and two togther to think that may have attributed to my getting sick.

I drive over an hour to and from work every day of my life and live in an area that is prone to very hot and humid summers. I recovered from that bout of acute illness to a point where I was able to return to work, but still miss days due to this same strange ailment that has hung with me for all these years. One rheumatologist just told me that I have fibromyalgia and there is nothing that can be done short of getting on pain relievers. However, if I get on pain relievers then those will just exacerbate my other symptoms of being tired and out of it.

I have spent untold thousands of dollars at doctors, to include chiropractors, massage therapists, and accupuncturists trying to feel better ... trying to get back to my normal, productive self. I love my job and am not trying to get out of my job. I like being a productive member of society and feeling like I'm adding value. All I want to know is what is wrong with me, so I can work on fixing it.

I recently went to a nutritionist who had me tested for allergies and heavy metals. I tested positive for mercury, lead, cadmium, beryllium, antimony, and arsenic. I have had my water tested, and it is clean. We live in a new home and I work in a new building. The only other thing I can think of is that I have been cooped up in my car for hours day after day and year after year breathing in these toxic fumes.

I started driving a new car (Subaru) just this past January and started taking supplements to help my digestion, because my nutritionist said that my stomach lining has been eroded from these heavy metals, so I am also allergic to 28 different foods out of those I was tested for. I am not currently having a good time having to adjust my diet, but I hope one day to get these metals out of my system and to repair my intestines.

I am now concerned, because my husband has been driving my car. I don't know where to start to get our Acura tested and professionally cleaned. If anyone can help on this front I would be grateful.

Also, I know some have posted to this forum regarding a class action lawsuit. I believe that there should have been a warning and/or recall of these mirrors long ago based on when these posts started to show up and based on how old my car is (2000). It is now 2010, so I probably have the results of chronic exposure to these toxins and may be out of luck in ever fully recovering. I hope and pray that others have not had this same issue. However, if you have I am willing to participate in a lawsuit if it is not too late. I have not found where any are ongoing, so I would be willing to help initiate one, but I will need the contact information of others to do so. I've never done anything like this, so I don't know where to start. Some of you have mentioned that you have bee in contact with a lawyer. I contacted one who said this would be very difficult to prove. I want to talk to one who is willing to do the footwork to help us prove this.

I have been injured, perhaps irreversibly, by the negligence of those who didn't post appropriate warnings and recall these mirrors when it became an issue long ago. If indeed this now-chronic issue of mine continues to deteriorate over time, I may lose my job. This is not my desire, but I want to ensure my well-being should this ever become my destiny. God forbid.

To those of you who think we are after money, please know that the legal system is there for people who are injured due to the negligence of others. I also feel that there are too many arbitrary lawsuits out there, like someone spilling coffee on themselves. This is not like that. This is a serious problem, and others may be affected but not members of an Acura forum to see these posts. I wasn't until I got the results of my toxicity test back a couple of weeks ago. Why regular physicians don't test for such things is beyond me, but I had to end up at a nutritionist to find this out, and my insurance unfortunately doesn't pay for such visits.

Quick Reply: Health risk from rear view mirror