headlight restoration

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
headlight restoration

I did some research on the topic from some previous threads and thought I'd try the restoration process myself. It didn't turn out so great. I figure I'd post the results for what its worth.

I bought this kit at the parts store, not the Crystal View stuff, but something similar, started with a P--Permatex? (ran about $15)..... Anyway, it had about 4 grades of sandpaper that you use to wet sand the lens. After that, you polish it with the stuff they provide and it's supposed to be clear again. Well, it did remove some outer dulling/scratches and the light looks a bit clearer; however, it is now splotchy--like maybe moisture inside the lens (didn't have that before). I will try to get a pic on here if I can remember (I know worthless w/o pics).....just thought about this online tonight. Maybe I didn't sand it as even as I should. I think I'll just end up getting a new headlight because I'm such a perfectionist. Anyone know how hard they are to replace or the cost of labor involved?

I have learned a lesson several times with my 7 yr old car. If you're a perfectionist like me and there are cosmetic flaws on the car due to age and wear---just fork out the $ and buy replacement parts. It's far worth it rather than constantly nickel and dime yourself trying to "restore" old stuff. When my leather wears out on my seat, I will buy a $300 oem leather seat cover replacement---too much hassle trying to mend old things. A part thats $300 is still cheaper than a new $34k TL.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:07 AM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
for the crystal view stuff, they had two different types of polishes. And when you wetsand you are supposed to make your strokes across the whole light so it comes out evenly. I haven't seen the stuff you tried, but I'm guessing there was something missing. There should be some kind of finishing polish. Or clear coat, to give it that glass look.

Or you should of went with the crystal view stuff, mine turned out amazingly well, amd so did others that used it. Not all of us can afford new headlights, so a 20 dollar fix sounds great, especially since your new headlights you buy will probably end up having the same problem which made you buy new ones.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguirs Plastic-X + $25 dollar orbital buffer from HD =
Old 03-21-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm stock and hating it.

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I used the crystal view stuff and it worked fine. Dosen't seem like you read the directions. There is only 2 differ grades of sandpaper. There is 4, 2 for each light. And you only wet sand with the first with the rough. Then you clean it with water and sand with the fine. After that you use the the CV-1.. Wait 3-5 mins then come back with the CV-2 and quickly evenly apply it to the light. I have pics. to show it. Also there is no way to get moisture inside of the lense. From the directions you dont take anything apart.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm stock and hating it.

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are the pic. Notice no condensation inside of the light.
Before

After
Old 03-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Prick of the month

I bought the Permatex stuff as well, haven't tried it yet. I'm a little reluctant to now, but I think it will be ok if you sand evenly. I'll post some pics after I do it. We'll see...
Old 03-21-2007, 01:36 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I would just stick to what is known to work. But maybe you'll have a better outcome then the OP.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Racer

I read and followed the directions exactly. You wet sand horizontally then vertically alternating strokes with each grade of sandpaper. Upon wetsanding with one, you clean it off with water, then proceed with the next. After using all the sandpaper, you rinse it and polish it. After I polished it with their polish, I used some kind of expensive plastic polish I had (like 15 bucks a can). I guess I should have mentioned this before since it potentially affected the results. I forgot the name. I noticed that after using that the splotchiness occurred. The reason why I used it was that after using the kit, the light was clearer but had a small hint of a haze.

The plastic cleaner I used should not have harmed it, but maybe the headlight material is made of something special that caused the problem. I guess I should have stuck with the "better but not perfect" results before applying another polish on it. I may try the Mequires PlastX stuff....can't really hurt it now. It doesn't look horrible...not on my 1st thing to buy list, but when my HID bulbs burn out, I'll go ahead and buy another lens...no big deal.