Headlight questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight questions

99 Acura TL

Finally able to catch up on alot of past due items. i replaced my axles (and only lost a little knuckle skin in the process), changed the tie rod, fixed the wiper arm, and have an appointment for an alignment. but i have some front end lighting issues i could use some help with

Both low beams have gone out. as well as the passenger side marker/blinker. i've been driving with high beams only since thats thats all i have. is it safe to assume that both bulbs have gone out? are there 1 or 2 ballasts? (i've been driving this way for so long i don't remember if both went out at the same time, save the flaming. i've been forced to do this for personal financial reasons. i just want to gain the knowledge to rectify the situation now that i have the means. i remember the side marker was working intermittently which leads me to suspect wiring problem with it but i was just out of the dealers warranty)

what is the process for changing the bulbs in this car? there seems to be no space to work with lots of stuff in the way and i'm feeling inclined to remove the headlight housings completely but maybe i'm missing something simple.

for those of you maybe about to tell me to search. i have, both here and google.

thanks in advance for anyone able to point me in the right direction and able to provide me with clear information.

Last edited by toby goodbar; 02-09-2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: ps
Old 02-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Removing the headlight housings is the easiest IMO. It gives you access to everything that you need, and its only a few bolts to remove them. As for your side marker check that the wires are tight and making sufficient contact to their leads before you splurge on a new bulb...There is 1 ballast per low beam and everything else is halogen, so there is no ballast needed.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Traded in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty much what ^ said...

Remove the headlights from the car to get a good look at everything. Check corner connections/wires and clean everything up. Replacing bulbs is also easier the first time with headlights off. The next time, you'll know how the spring clip locks and it'll be easier to do with headlights on the car

Start cheap...buy new bulbs. Hopefully it's just that. Found some for <$100 on eBay so just search.
Next, try ignitors. These get pricier but, again, search a little for a deal.
Last thing to replace should be ballast since it is the most expensive. At that point, I'd recommend an aftermarket HID kit.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
is there any moisture inside the headlight housing lens? in the morning or after car washing?
If so you may have blown the ballast due to water- fix that water prob first
If thats all ok- then ck DIY section for headlights- easy to remove bolts from end of bumper cover then its plastic clips underneath- easy job
Have friend help to avoid damage to paint by dropping panel
Torx Security #20 bit required for back panel
Do you remember 1 headlight going pink on startup before failure- thats the wearout by age sign
1 usually goes a few months before the other but always replace them in pairs
Old 02-10-2010, 06:16 PM
10th Gear

[QUOTE='02_TL-S;11728805]Pretty much what ^ said...

Remove the headlights from the car to get a good look at everything. Check corner connections/wires and clean everything up. Replacing bulbs is also easier the first time with headlights off. The next time, you'll know how the spring clip locks and it'll be easier to do with headlights on the car

Originally Posted by ANC297
Removing the headlight housings is the easiest IMO. It gives you access to everything that you need, and its only a few bolts to remove them. As for your side marker check that the wires are tight and making sufficient contact to their leads before you splurge on a new bulb...There is 1 ballast per low beam and everything else is halogen, so there is no ballast needed.
It guess that makes sense, it seems the only straight forward way to do it. i just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing somthing .thanx. as for the ballasts, do you know if they are on the same relay? i'm not positive but i for some reason i think they had gone out at the same time. if not it was shortly thereafter...

Start cheap...buy new bulbs. Hopefully it's just that. Found some for <$100 on eBay so just search.
Next, try ignitors. These get pricier but, again, search a little for a deal.
Last thing to replace should be ballast since it is the most expensive. At that point, I'd recommend an aftermarket HID kit.
seeing that you found them for $100 and consider that cheap, and someone mentioned a ballast, i can only assume they are HID. my search led me to believe that also, but i thought that it might be limited to 2k+ and not 99s. any more information as to what type bulb or model # etc? this wouldn't be autozone available would it? (i'll check myself if anyone knows a part number or bulb style number)

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
is there any moisture inside the headlight housing lens? in the morning or after car washing?
If so you may have blown the ballast due to water- fix that water prob first
If thats all ok- then ck DIY section for headlights- easy to remove bolts from end of bumper cover then its plastic clips underneath- easy job
Have friend help to avoid damage to paint by dropping panel
Torx Security #20 bit required for back panel
Do you remember 1 headlight going pink on startup before failure- thats the wearout by age sign
1 usually goes a few months before the other but always replace them in pairs
no, no moisture ever. it would have to be a security torx bit *rolleyes* guess i'll be buying new tool as well.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:32 PM
10th Gear

just to clarify before purchasing, would these be it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_4669wt_1167
Old 02-10-2010, 06:39 PM
2000 acura tl FPR

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by toby goodbar
just to clarify before purchasing, would these be it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_4669wt_1167
yes, specify D2R
Old 02-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Some of you are on crack to think its easier to remove the headlight to replace the bulbs. :whyme"
Replacing the headlight bulbs is a 5 min job. Every thing is done from the engine bay. the drivers side has a cover that comes off first then there is access to it. Nothing needs to be removed for the passenger side.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:28 PM
10th Gear

how do you replace the turn signal/side marker bulb. housing and bumper removal needed?

so the dealer i had bought the car from, cut, spliced n crimped. what i have no is NOT an HID bulb. i think it said h7u which would be a halogen and they are both burned out.

what i want to know is if anybody has pictures, or diagrams of the wiring or harness for the original equipment. and any know method for testing the ballasts. i dont want to buy the hid bulbs and find out the ballasts are gone or that i have no harness.

what i SUSPECT is the harness may be still there. its two orangey peachy wires encased in a white mesh sleeve with a square shaped white connector.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Some of you are on crack to think its easier to remove the headlight to replace the bulbs. :whyme"
Replacing the headlight bulbs is a 5 min job. Every thing is done from the engine bay. the drivers side has a cover that comes off first then there is access to it. Nothing needs to be removed for the passenger side.
+1

I didnt remove the headlight when I changed mine.
With a little searching I found a guide fsttyms posted here and followed that.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:52 AM
Traded in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea it's easy to do it now without removing them but the first time would be frustrating for anyone who has never had to deal with the spring clips that hold the bulb in place. It makes getting to know how to change them easier..not it's easier overall.

OP- Yes those are the bulbs and yes specify D2R. But just remember you get what you pay for and those might not last very long. I'd search for some Philips bulbs and spend a little more now and have them last longer than have to buy more sooner
I'm on my phone now and can't help you out with a diagram but if you go to oemacuraparts.com (iirc) then you can find some diagrams of the complete headlight assembly.