Have you experienced Acura's Customer Care line?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 10:44 AM
myv
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th Tranny, Have you experienced Acura's Customer Care line?

Are the people at Acura's customer service empowered to help me out?

I have bought four Acuras in a decade, and my last 2001 TL was a total lemon, four tranny repiars with three full replacements and new ECU, broken valve here, steering problem there, form/fit problems, you name it.

I even got screwed by the dealer in Nashville on the latest car when I bought the new '01, where as part of the trade they were to remove and paint match the spoiler off my '99 and put it on my '01. Well, they removed the ENTIRE '99 DECK LID and spoiler, and put that on the 01 (The Acura emblem was larger by '01, and they did not have even the same mounting hole location! What a load of C.R.A. x.)

Talking to my service advisor she thought that the lemon route would probly go to court as I have had the car over two years now and have 45k on it.

Ideally, I'd like to work a deal where they (Acura) replace my old lemon with a new 'o4 TL.

I'm guessing the dealer gets invoice for around 31K for the new car, and my car with navi and 46K is worth $22K dealer sales price according to KBB.

If Acura Corporate was to take care of the $9K difference and traded me up to a new car, that would keep me happy as an Acura customer. Anything short of that requiring more money out of my pocket and I will feel ripped off.

My expectation was to have a new, reliable car, and I never had one of those since I bought the 2001TL. (I had like zero problems and put 43K on my '99TL before that girl rear-ended me) I want but never got my moneys worth, and now I'm extremely upset with Acura.

Some might say "we'll, you have enjoyed 46K for free then". To them I would say "we'll, let's go get stranded out on a country road in the Texas hill county without food or drink and wait for a tow from Acura four six hours, and you tell me if you enjoyed THAT mileage...or how about participating in a near-death experience while passing a truck doing 45 Mph in a 55 zone, and as we are passing the tranny fails...loss of acceleration now hangs us out to dry in the oncoming highway lane and now we are heading towards a dump truck...going 60MPH the opposite way...(this happened to me and my wife...) How about the other 2000 miles I have put on crappy baby-blue mitsushixxy galant rentals while my acura was in the shop...again....

Anyone have a similar lemon/customer service experience, and can you share any results you might have had with the Acura 800 customer service number?

Any other suggestions are welcome!
Old 09-06-2003, 06:05 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've havent had it as bad as you have but I can say that Customer Relations are realy there to help solve a problem(s) if they are sure it's Acura's fault and the dealer keeps screwing up.

I discovered on my '03 TL-S that the paint on the front bumper was just too thin after it started pealing from the putting on and taking off of the factory nose mask.

The dealer repainted the bumper and it was the worst job I'd ever seen. It didn't help that their body shop was at a Hyundai dealership and that's what the shop mgr. drove. I didn't even bother to pick it up and kept the loaner car. I called Acura CR and they authorized the replacement of the whole bumper cover. Two days later it was done.

If you don't get hold of the person you need to just leave them a message with the person that answers the phone and they'll call you back in one to three days. I know that sounds like a long time but these guys are busy and I would want their job for anything.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:18 PM
myv
Cruisin'

Thanks Tom

Thanks Tom for the input.

I had just put the car back in the shop yesterday for a rough idle and check engine light.

She said they diagnosed it to be the third party plugs (Bosch Platinum) that I had insalled myself (and that have been running problem free for 16K).

Then proceeded to charge me $16.00 each for the new Acura plugs. Plus ONE AND A HALF HOURS of labor for plugging the computer in and then switching out the plugs.

(I've installed 'em in fifteen minutes myself).

$240.00 dollars was what she wanted to charge me . I called her back and disputed a little, and she knocked it down to $200.00 (WHAT A BARGIN!)

I got the car back yesterday, this evening it idled rough again, the check engine light came on again, AND the TCS light is stuck on on now. Which is what happend last time they had to replace the tranny.

Friggin POS Lemon I have if you ask me.

Now I really have a reason to call Acura Customer service Monday and tell them how their dealers have all ripped me off now....this service department has tried and failed, and now lied and failed.

If they don't give me satisfaction, I am so angry now I am seriously consideringl taking it to court, even if I don't win (but I would for sure now, got 'em charging for a fix that was not needed and blaming it on third party bolt-on parts...I believe this is a warranty no-no in the eyes of the law, so I think that Acura would be responsible for my legal fees if found guilty.)

You know, I bet there are enough mad TL owners out there to do a class action lawsuit regarding the no-recall on the trannies.

Anyone else have advice for me in dealing with the customer service folks? Do you think I should involve the sales manager at the local Acura, or go straight to corporate?

Does anyone out there know a Regional Sales Manger at Acura I could engage? Any one will do (name, phone or e-mail please)...I'd take it from there.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:26 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you're crazy if you want a free 04TL Maybe you could get 2003TL out of them, but I doubt it would be free even still.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:49 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know how you feel MYV .. my '02CL-S was on its 3rd tranny .. and I talked to the GM of the dealer (skip any of the flunkies below the GM cuz they can't do anything) .. I laid it on the line .. about NEVER buying from them .. I offered them $2k to trade my '02 CLS in for an 03 CLS-6 speed .. the GM ran it up Honda Corp .. and they accepted the deal .. only the car they were giving me was a demo (with 3k on the clock) .. so I got them to pay 2/3's of a 7 yr/100k warranty.

However, the joke is on them .. this '03 idles like **** . .the paint job is the worst I've ever seen .. I've seen water colors hold up better than this crap .. the interior quality is total garbage .. including the leather .. and I've only had it 6 months .. screw Acura .. I'm done with them!
Old 09-06-2003, 10:06 PM
myv
Cruisin'

This is what I need help with understanding...

I entered into a purchase agreement with expectations of a new, reliable car.

I never got that. Instead I got a new car with a used cars lid and old paint that that did not match. This was in '01.

The car continues to break again and again, and I NEVER had that problem with my '99. This is a fact.

I gave Acura every single opportunity to fix the problem resulting in 6 rental contracts, four dealership loaners (once for over two weeks while waiting for the transmission to come in), and hours and hous of my time and effort. What price does one put on that?!?

Acura has failed to fix the problem permenantly (again, and agin, and again, do you really want me to write out all ten incidents???

Now it looks like I will be going on the FIFTH transmission repair, third entire replacement next week.

The car is going out of warranty in 4K miles.

I dont view it as asking for a free car....and I can't see that as a true interpretation of my desire to trade the car they sold me as new and relaible (this car was was neither) for a car that I expected...new and reliable, except for real this time.

If it took two years to prove this car was an unreliable piece of junk that the dealership has driven as much as I have (seems that way), then so be it....but that was not my fault, and blame can be squarely pointed towards them.

There is irrefutable evidence that there is a problem with that year model as demonstated by the transmission warranty extension, and they have failed to fix it. Again x 4.

Do you believe that Honda is not liable for the quality of the product sold, promises broken, and blatant lies?

Are they not obligated to deliver a new, reliable car as promised?

If Acura does not do the right thing (what IS the right thing?), I could easily get input from other TL owners in Austin and go to the local TV stations consumer affairs division in order to have them make a story of it so that other Acura customers don't get screwed too. All I have to do is lay out the facts, and I'm sure some story-hungry consumer advocate would love to share the facts with the other million or so here in the Austin Area.

Or even better I could get smartmoney.com or wsj to feature an article nationally....yeah, thats it!

I just read that last sentence and realise how angry I have become.....

Back to sanity, seeing only pink right now.....

What is a reasonable expectation if they can NEVER RELIABLY FIX THIS CAR UNDER WARRANTY???
Old 09-06-2003, 10:15 PM
myv
Cruisin'

Oh, and divindude...

You don't happen to still have the name and number of the GM, do ya? PM me if you do please...

Thanks
Old 09-06-2003, 11:14 PM
is the Mighty Favog

The names and phone numbers of regional reps aren't disclosed to the public according to Corporate. Believe me I've tried. Either Corporate or the dealer has to contact them.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:15 PM
bbb
Intermediate

myv,

We all feel bad for your TL experience and the suffering you continue to endure. Clearly you have an atypical case. If you are serious in getting any concessions from Acura, you must retain an attorney who specializes in this area.

You can preach to the choir here all you want—and continue to get stilted by the Acura Care line until which time YOU decide to escalate your dilemma professionally. You may or may not have a case, but without seeking legal representation you barely stand a chance at retribution.

Good Luck
Old 09-07-2003, 12:08 AM
myv
Cruisin'

Thanks for the response bbb, keep 'em coming if ya got 'em..

I actually have not called the customer care line yet. I do want to give Acura every chance and plan to call them when they open Monday, and I am utilizing the wonderful tool here (forum) to obtain some up to date input from other Acura owners so I have an idea of what to expect during the process.

Did not mean to preach though.

I am benefiting tremendously from the dialog from other customers like divingdude...a glimpse into the tactics used and precedents set by Acura during this type of situation is IMMENSELY helpful to me for the upcoming negotiations. (So keep the input coming y’all…if applicable)

I would not say I was seeking retribution or punishment (yet), simply a new, working, reliable car...that is not the same generation as the last bug -ridden tl's were...thus the '04 as the logical choice.

In other words, I'll only escalate this further if Customer Care does not take Care of this Customer. And if they can’t make it right, then I will (most likely) follow your advice. I appreciate yours and all input, thanks!

If they screw me, I will shout about my terrible experience from the highest mountaintops. Using some different podium than this forum, I am sure….
Old 09-07-2003, 01:19 AM
The Acura Tranny Killer

You'll never get a free 04 on you TL trade in Even if it is a lemon.. You've obviously had a lot of bad luck with your car, which is a shame, and i am sure that Corporate can give you a nice deal on a trade in + purchase of an 03 and 04.

Acura customer care (as well as Honda customer care) are generally good guys, they really do try to help you out. Make sure you call in the morning tho, in my previous dealings with them (due to crappy service at the dealer, which changed REAL quick after some complaining over at Acura Corp) they seemed to be quite a bit more cranky in the afternoon than just after their shift started in the morning.

Tracer
Old 09-07-2003, 08:21 AM
myv
Cruisin'

Continuing my research....

Update:

I have found out that the BBB has a free arbitration service specifically set up for lemon disputes like mine. (Arbitration trained volunteers, so I bet the quality varies a bit)

From what I read, once the arbitration is over, a decision that the dealer is obligated to fulfil is the result, and the consumer is allowed to bless or ignore that decision.

In other words, if I think the arbitrator's decision does not prevent me from taking this the full legal route.

But it sure sounds less painful and less expensive than court.

Any have any experience with BBB arbitrators?
Old 09-08-2003, 10:03 AM
myv
Cruisin'

Antother update...

A trusted friend reminded me that the BBB is paid for and run by business people, and that I'd get 50/50 ruling from them at best.

The lady at at Acura Customer Care line said there was no way I'd get a new car out of it. She took my number and said they'd call back in two to three days.

I called my lawyer and he says we have a VERY GOOD CASE under the Deceptive Trade Pratices.

Now it is up for the case worker to call me back from Acura, and I will explain that we have an airtight case and we will be sending the letter out this week to initiate the process.

We will see what response they have then.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:09 AM
is the Mighty Favog

So far it looks like your doing things in the right order to gain favor of the arbitrator/court. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:51 PM
myv
Cruisin'

Interestingly enough...

I also attempted to reach the District rep for Acura. He was willing to meet in person in ten days, but I must file my letter by the end of this week, so I let them know that that would not work.

I suggested a phone call, and the General Sales manager said "He WILL NOT discuss these matters over the phone".

I even went WAY out of the way and suggested that I would drive to Houston, Dallas, or even West Texas if he was going to be in the area...no go.

Yup, I've 'bout had it with their in-house escelation process.