Had Windows tinted then quiet car became very noisy

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 11:22 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Had Windows tinted then quiet car became very noisy

Has anyone run into this? I took it to a reliable window tinting place, left it and when I picked it up it seemed like noise waqs coming from the doors and the back window area, What do they do when they tint? Do they take the panels off? If so, can someone give me a hint as to how I can make sure they put all the screws back on (assuming they are any)

Thanks as this is frustrating.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

they dont really do anything special...

1. they clean all the windows down really well
2. place tint on the outside to get the shape and cut the tint out
3.. spray the tint and then place it over the clean windows
4. use a squeegy (or however you spell that) and flatten everything out
5. for the sides, they roll in the rubber around the windows so that the tint can go lower into the window and covers everything.
6. they unflip the rubber around the windows and you're good to go

so it wont explain the noise that you are getting unless they goofed and did something to your car (or the noise was already there)
Old 08-02-2003, 12:05 AM
9th Gear

Unhappy

Noise wasn't there...I was trying to isloate the 'clinking sound coming from back window and poped trunk, it was then that I noticed the 2 white lightbulbs hanging down (the 3rd black light lights) So I put them back into their place and that is what made me thing that they must have done more than what you said when installing the tint? Any reason why they would take panels off to install tint?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2003, 12:11 AM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
A good tint shop will take the door panels off to tint the windows on the doors. For the back, they will pull the subwoofer cover off to tint the back window.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:34 AM
Instructor

yea i work at a tint shop right now and for the back window, which is by far the most difficult window to tint, we normally at least take out anything we can(brake light, the whole back panel,and whatever else may be there) in the back to make it easier to lay the tint down ..because it is so easy to get dirt on the tint once the adhesive is exposed we try to make it as easy as possible to slap it on there without the tint touching anything before it is layed on the window....with side windows we normally either jsut tuck the rubber seal down or sometimes pop the door panel off a little bit to get down lower...so definately, the tint place prolly just didnt tighten something back that they might have taken off..but i know they didnt take anything off when they tinted my car so who knows..
Old 08-02-2003, 12:48 AM
9th Gear

THANKS I guess I should try and find the screws and tighten or just go back to the tint place... It is frustrating but the windows look great.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't seem to have any issue on mine.
When I got my windows tinted, the guy that did it asked me not to row down the windows for 72 hours and also asked me to park under the sun light to let the glue dry up. If the steps were not taken, it might cause the films to come off at the edge of the windows and cause some leakage between the windows and the panel.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers !!!
Old 08-02-2003, 02:16 AM
9th Gear

I was also told not to use windows and was out of town for 6 days afterwards, so I didn't use the windows for 7 days,,,but the sound (noise) does seem to be coming from the back seat area or behind but it is hard to tell and isolate when I am driving.

oh well, I hate it when you try to better a car and instead have a clown make it worse.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

hrmm.. didnt know that they took out the windows... for my car the tint is flush all the way around, cant even tell where the tint ends and i saw them do the whole process, nothing was taken out. and i saw no bubbles whatsoever. theyre one of the best in jersey too
Old 08-02-2003, 11:31 AM
9th Gear

I should have driven up your way to get them done as I went from a quiet car with no tint to a tinted car full of road rattles.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:28 PM
Intermediate

Just off topic here...... But what is the best way to CLEAN the inside of a tinted window????? Windex??? or soapy water??? I just got mine tinted back in March and has been clean since then...... then my girls stupid drunk friends (I picked up the girls night out crew), put their hand marks all over the inside!!! AGRRRR !!! Any ideas??? Then once they are clean, what is the best way to cleam 'em???

Thanks
Old 08-02-2003, 04:49 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything without vinegar will do fine, I personally use a bottle of water with a drop of dishsoap in it and a terry cloth. I haven't found anything that doesn't streak but that seems best. (tried invisible glass, windex, glass plus, newspaper, etc..)
Old 08-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

umm... ure not supposed to use windex - it has ammonia in it. usually just a damp cloth can help clean it up. that or anything without ammonia
Old 08-03-2003, 12:30 AM
Censored User

Location: Miami - just one day, I would like to drive without getting cut off!
I too had a really bad rattle after getting me tint done. I thought the guy had broken something or left out a screw. But it was only dried tint by the third brake light. It wasn't sealed to the window. It rattled very badly with loud music or faster speed. But he resealed it andI haven't had a prob ever since.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:33 AM
9th Gear

Jadia4 Thanks,,,I will keep that in mind when I visit the shop to complain.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup ... definately bring back to the shop asap ... they should be able to figure it out...

Good Luck !

Cheers !!!