Type SSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I TOTALLY AGREE.

VERY VERY WELL SAID.
Old 09-14-2001, 12:42 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Steveb

So why haven't you traded your Acura in for the Bimmer? It's only a few thousand more. Unless you want power seats w/memory, heated seats, real leather, sun roof, sports suspension, Navi, CD player and Xenon lights. With all those options it's nearly 10 thousand more. But you don't need all that as long as you have your real wood and high quality platics to look at.
TOUCHE!
Old 09-14-2001, 12:51 PM
Instructor

well im buying my car next week and its between the 330ci and the s4 im leaning a little more towards the 330 ci becuase i love how they look and i can put a nice rim with a big dish.......unlike with the s4 you cant go wide at all cuz of the large brakes and also i like performance ..............i know the s4 in performance is ahead of the 330ci but im going to supercharge my 330ci 342 hp
so ill be hanging with m3's plus the s4 body is changing next year
Old 09-14-2001, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
I guess I don't understand the "I'll buy a half-ass car and spend a bundle modifying it so it can hang with the car I should have bought in the first place" mentality. Just buy the damn M3 if you've got that much money to burn and all you care about is performance!
Old 09-14-2001, 05:22 PM

Lightbulb

All I am saying (and being I have driven these cars through the paces) the GS 300 is a RWD sports sedan period. It is DIRECT competition for the reigning sports sedan champ the 528(530)540. Drive one and see.

It is not a TL thing it is a FWD thing, it can get so sporty in my opinion. Seriously why are ALL SERIOUS SPORTS CARS RWD it is because of the HANDLING benefits and the simpliest explanation is to drive a RWD car then a FWD car (or vice versa) and you will see a WORLD of difference for real.....

As for TL and GS both being midsize, c'mon have you sat in both, the GS is much bigger (for people) on the inside. Let us not forget the Tl is what 192 inches long and the GS is 189 inches long but with contrasting wheelbases. I believe widths are both around 70 inches. But it is how the car is packaged.

As for the 330 45k is nuts for it for real. Can u say 530?

Tl-S for 30k is a good buy on the other hand.

Just buy what u TRULY want and be happy!
Old 09-14-2001, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

So why haven't you traded your Acura in for the Bimmer? It's only a few thousand more. Unless you want power seats w/memory, heated seats, real leather, sun roof, sports suspension, Navi, CD player and Xenon lights. With all those options it's nearly 10 thousand more. But you don't need all that as long as you have your real wood and high quality platics to look at.
Was just comparing the characteristics of the car with regard to asthetics (interior/exterior), performance and safety only. I don't think the price of a car has anything to do with these factors.... just about every report I've read and seen says the exterior styling is uninspiring and the interior is chintzy...all a coincidence, I don't think so.
Old 09-14-2001, 06:10 PM
Instructor

maint

BMW covers 36k miles or 3 years.
Audi covers 4 years and 50k miles
Lexus first 2 oil changes
Acura none

However BMW changes oil based on indicator, 10k miles to 15k miles is your first maint for oil change. (similar to Mercedes)

Acura has a better nav. than BMW. The 2001 BMW version isn't that usable. You can also look into BMW's European delivery program which is cheaper and you get to drive on the Autobahn.
Old 09-14-2001, 06:13 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by thejavagod

Was just comparing the characteristics of the car with regard to asthetics (interior/exterior), performance and safety only. I don't think the price of a car has anything to do with these factors....
True, but unfortunately price always plays a role in everything. Hey, I dont know about others, but I would rather have real marble lining the interior like they do with certain MB models than plastic looking replicas. Unfortunatey you'd have to cough up around 8k for that option. People who constantly compare the 5 series with the TLS, I doubt, completely see eye to eye with some members on this board. No matter what anyone tells me, PRICE will always hold priority overall. Obviously the more money you *could spend, the more doors are available to you. With the same money Acura spends on building the TLS, could BMW or any other car maker produce an equal or better option? If the answer is yes, then hell, I'll switch over on my next purchase. It's just a shame because even though they could, I'm sure they'd want a larger profit margin.
Old 09-14-2001, 06:20 PM

That to me is Javagod's point what is equal. Equal to you for 30k may not be equal to him for (or anybody else) for 30k.

It's not the price per se it is the WHOLE PRODUCT and unfortunately the image.

That is why they can't give away Mazda Millinias, Mitsibishi Diamante's Caddy Catera's they are good cars but at 30-35k some things are expected BY THOSE THAT KNOW and average will not cut it.

Maybe it is a pet peeve but fake wood in my opinon screams IMPOSTER

Kinda like those fake wood steering wheels they sell at Wal-Mart (and I've seen em on every car from Corollas to LS 400s).

To me that is nuts to them it is cool.

Whatever toots your fiddle I guess.
Old 09-14-2001, 09:13 PM

I think Acura should have either offered real wood as an option (in a package, or alone for say, $1500) or left it out entirely, not try to pass fake wood off to the consumer and say "well, it kinda looks real". It comes across as cutting corners, and distracts from all the other benefits the car offers at such a good price. The same with "leatherette" in a Benz or Bimmer, why bother ? Go with cloth or leather, but not something that looks and feels almost like the real thing, and in a $35k + car. Incidentally, the GS300 is bigger inside everywhere except rear legroom, shorter by an inch.
Old 09-14-2001, 09:20 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by thejavagod

Was just comparing the characteristics of the car with regard to asthetics (interior/exterior), performance and safety only. I don't think the price of a car has anything to do with these factors.... just about every report I've read and seen says the exterior styling is uninspiring and the interior is chintzy...all a coincidence, I don't think so.
Did you not say you owned an Acura TL-S??? Why did you purchase it? You say the Bimmer is safer, has better performance, a better build quality, and looks better inside and out. You said the difference was "night and day". What are you waiting for?
Old 09-14-2001, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

That is why they can't give away Mazda Millinias, Mitsibishi Diamante's Caddy Catera's they are good cars but at 30-35k some things are expected BY THOSE THAT KNOW and average will not cut it.
That's not true. Millinias and Diamante's don't sell well because they are rated near the bottom in their peer group. They don't compare favorable to the competition.
Old 09-15-2001, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by TedC
I think Acura should have either offered real wood as an option (in a package, or alone for say, $1500) or left it out entirely, not try to pass fake wood off to the consumer and say "well, it kinda looks real". It comes across as cutting corners, and distracts from all the other benefits the car offers at such a good price. The same with "leatherette" in a Benz or Bimmer, why bother ? Go with cloth or leather, but not something that looks and feels almost like the real thing, and in a $35k + car. Incidentally, the GS300 is bigger inside everywhere except rear legroom, shorter by an inch.
I agree. The lack of a real wood option is as shameful as BMW providing "Leatherette" standard on it's models and Lexus using cloth on the GS300, HIDs being optional on both BMW and Lexus, I could go on and on. You need to check a whole 'lotta very expensive boxes to outfit the Lexus and BMW to go head to head with what's offered standard on the TL-S. It's all relative, imagine buying a 40K BMW with plastic, er leatherette seats...
Old 09-17-2001, 03:43 AM
Advanced

That's funny. One of the main reason I bought the TL-S over the Bimmer was the interior. I thought the BMW's interior was very plain and very unexciting. The dash, console and the gauges all looked plain to me. I think the TL's interior is more luxurious than the Bimmers.

I do agree with you about the handling. The Bimmer does handle better. It should since it's a smaller and lighter car. But you are exaggerating the differences. In fact your entire post is an over exaggeration of the facts.
I have to admit that after my ordered DEP was delivered in the new Noble Green, I was pissed. Neither the dealer or Acura could find me a DEP TL-S. I was really mad at Acura as my family has bought 8 Honda/Acura vehicles since the 70s.

I've since ordered my 330. I do think the interior of the TL and TL-S are much more attactive than the 330. I paid more because I like the ride better, the color choices (including the interior patterns - sorry guys, I don't like the bowling ball) were more numerous, the handling was a little better, and it is visually more appealing to me (I will miss the extra doors, but I agree with another poster who said four doors would be too many on the 3 series). I will miss the extra room and the dollars spent.

All are great cars. The 530 was almost there, but then I would be really thinking of the cost with an apples to apples comparison.
Old 09-17-2001, 11:48 AM

The Diamante and Millinia are really well built cars but unfortuntely at the 30-35k price there is not 1 OUTSTANDING quality about these 2 cars. Have u driven them, they are nice cars but not Outstanding.

You gotta have something to your advantage, for instance the Tl-s has that low price, Nav and pretty darn quick.

Es 300 has unquestionable reliability and luxery and panache.

3 series total sports car feel.

Millinia and Diamante have.........exactly, nothing wrong with them but nothing exactly right either

BTW Millinia is a pretty sporty car to drive.