Got a ticket for my tint dammit!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a ticket for my tint dammit!

i still can't believe it. i'm driving minding my own business with my car packed with family and a cop drives past me. i look in my rearview mirror and see him doing a u-turn and he flashes his lights and sirens for me to pull over and proceeded to give me my 1st ever ticket for my front window tint that i've had on for 2yrs. and then he tells me to flash my rear turn signal and tells me they're white when i don't have hyperwhites at all??! god dammit it must've been a slow day for him to be giving out tickets for tint. the cop was treating me like i was a racer or something and my car aint modded at all besides the tint, exhaust tips and hyperwhite bulbs at the front. man i'm so pissed. i don't know if i'll be taking off the tint for my front windows, but for those of you who've been ticketed for it do you still have the tint or didya take it off right away?
Old 04-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Banned

Do you have a fix it ticket (where you have to bring it in and show that you removed it) or just a fine? If it's just a fine, pay it and you could leave it on. Is this for the front two windows or the front windshield?
Old 04-22-2004, 08:05 PM
Instructor

i got stopped about 6 months ago for 15 on my windows and tha cop yelled at me and cussed me out. i talked to the sherriff and he fired him a week later and i still got my tint. thats what friends can do for ya... and im only 16 haha
Old 04-22-2004, 08:08 PM
Pro

it's just a fine. the cop told me i wasn't supposed to tint the front sides and of course i just played along like i didn't know, but he didn't order me to remove my tint. i'm tinted all around except for the front windshield at 30% which is what you see a lot of people have. i guess what pisses me off is the guys attitude. besides falsely accusing me of having white rear turn sigs, several times he told me to stay in the car as if i had drugs and was gonna get out and shoot him or something.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:32 PM
TL-S driver

what % are your tints? Cops look at me all the time and they just keep going. I only have a 35% tint in the front so they don't even bother.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:36 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
I have about 10 of those

I went lighter a few months back and haven't had a problem
Old 04-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dee diddy
i still can't believe it. i'm driving minding my own business with my car packed with family and a cop drives past me. i look in my rearview mirror and see him doing a u-turn and he flashes his lights and sirens for me to pull over and proceeded to give me my 1st ever ticket for my front window tint that i've had on for 2yrs. and then he tells me to flash my rear turn signal and tells me they're white when i don't have hyperwhites at all??! god dammit it must've been a slow day for him to be giving out tickets for tint. the cop was treating me like i was a racer or something and my car aint modded at all besides the tint, exhaust tips and hyperwhite bulbs at the front. man i'm so pissed. i don't know if i'll be taking off the tint for my front windows, but for those of you who've been ticketed for it do you still have the tint or didya take it off right away?
I got a ticket once for my front tints. I still have them on. Chances are that you wont get another ticket again or in a while. I would leave them on. How dark are they?
Old 04-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Burning Brakes

he said 30%
Old 04-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
I got a ticket for my 20% mirror tint about a year ago an i still have it on. The fine was $85 dollar an I was told if i get pull over again for tint, there will be double fine and if there a third time i will have to take it off at court house an paid heavy fine. Take your chances MAn!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
.. or the cop can take a razor and strip your tints right in front of you.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:32 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a warning for my 20% tints but I still kept them on.

I say leave them on but the next time you see a cop nearby, just roll down your front windows (that's what I do ).
Old 04-22-2004, 11:54 PM
The Undertaker

Tint tickets? i figure them into my monthly budget. Nothing to get worked up over, just pay it and move on (if you're in new jersey, i dont know about the cali fix it ticket stuff)
Old 04-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by BlackShadow
I got a warning for my 20% tints but I still kept them on.

I say leave them on but the next time you see a cop nearby, just roll down your front windows (that's what I do ).

heheh yeah i think i may hafta start doing that rain or shine. but i wonder if the cop would've even bothered if it was pouring rain. first ticket in 2yrs...i guess i got my money's worth
Old 04-23-2004, 01:24 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heheh yeah i think i may hafta start doing that rain or shine. but i wonder if the cop would've even bothered if it was pouring rain. first ticket in 2yrs...i guess i got my money's worth
I have rolled down my front windows during rain/sleet/snow/and everything else in between. I wonder if the cops ever thought I was crazy?
Old 04-23-2004, 01:39 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackShadow
I have rolled down my front windows during rain/sleet/snow/and everything else in between.
Ditto.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:42 PM
3rd Gear

I live in Chicago. Chicago cops don't care about tints they have more serious crimes on their plates. I was ticked by a trooper on my way to work. I just paid the ticked which was about 80bucks. I've had my tints for about 1.5 years never been pulled over before. Cops are more likely to give tickets for stupid stuff like this at the end of the month. Don't remove the tints just pay the ticket.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:45 PM
A$IAN_CHICKEN

without being so obvious, i usually open up the sunroof, let some light in.... but if its raining or whatnot... not sure there's any light...
Old 04-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Racer

I just got a fix-it ticket in CA too, after having the front tinted for 2 years (in all fairness, the front is really dark - don't know the % but its 1 shade lighter than the darkest tint offered). What sucks is having to pay to get the tint removed, pay the fix it ticket, then paying to get it put back on.

I might use it as an excuse to just put limo on the front though, so it's not all bad...
Old 04-23-2004, 05:52 PM
Advanced

yea i just paid the ticket and left it whatever - i just roll the windows down - and i have 38% what a bunch of F**Kers
Old 04-23-2004, 06:52 PM
Instructor

I got a ticket, it's $235 . He said he'd drop it if I got it removed. It cost $225 to get it tinted. I don't know if I should pay the fine and leave the tint, or get it stripped, drop the ticket, and get it re-tinted darker
Old 04-24-2004, 12:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Diamond Type-S
Tint tickets? i figure them into my monthly budget. Nothing to get worked up over, just pay it and move on (if you're in new jersey, i dont know about the cali fix it ticket stuff)
Definitely something to get worked up over in MA. Here it's a $250 ticket every time.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by pianoman41
Definitely something to get worked up over in MA. Here it's a $250 ticket every time.
$250?!!? ouch! i only gotta pay 1/4 of that amount, but i hope this is at most a once every 2yrs occurrence for me.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:06 AM
All Hail the Chief

F' cops. They strut around behind their shades thinking they serve a noble purpose to society. They are nothing but glorified traffic patrol. They hassle and harrass innocent, hard working, law abiding citizens 99% of the time. These people are either on their way to/from work being contributing members of society, taking a trip to see their family, or running innocent errands around town. It pains me to see this harrassment going on everyday.

Before you counter back in defense of the po-po, think about something. When you or a family member have a medical emergency - who comes to the rescue - the paramedics. When your house is burning down - who comes to the rescue - the fire department. When you have just been assaulted or robbed - who comes to the rescue - the police, but wait, the perps are long gone and will likely never get caught. Police are rarely proactive to a situation, are often times slow in their reactive capabilites, and often don't give a rats A$$ about you or your property. Everytime I see a cop pull some family in a minivan over, I think how that pig should be across town in the ghetto helping to combat the drug/gang/violence problem we have down there. But no, he has to nag some family coming back from the friggin Chinese buffet.

Cops are worthless and I'm not afraid to point that out.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:10 AM
It's Go-Time.

That is the price you pay for trying to break the law. I had tint before and always got hassled. Even if I had my windows rolled down while on Robson, the cops would pull me over and tell me to roll them up to check for tint. After all that crap I just removed the tint.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:28 PM
The Undertaker

Originally Posted by pianoman41
yeah thats not cool, $250 is a little steep. It's only $44 here.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:36 PM
The Undertaker

Originally Posted by JPritch
Cops are worthless and I'm not afraid to point that out.
You're opinion of what police do according to your own thoughts is very limited. Contrary to what you believe, police do serve a purpose in society. I hope one day when those "pigs" decide to help you out you might realize such.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Nice, Im Glad You Got Ticketed!

i know i'm going to get yelled at for saying it, but maaaaaan its a f'in joke trying to make eye contact with idiot drivers at stop signs (4 ways, etc) when theve got f'in tint on their front windows. seriously the drivers where im from suck ASS as it is -- cant predict what they're going to do, they dont have the slightest clue how to drive (hell most of them pay the DMV off to get their licences)

Every now and again you find a punk ass whos daddy bought them a sweet ride (and they've never worked a day in their lives), and they've got their windows limo tinted. it pissed me off, so yell at me, scream at me, F it i dont care. good on the coppers for ticketing you, front window tint sucks ass.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Racer

heehaw - are you too stupid to figure out who got to the stop sign first? Seriously, it's not that hard, I know there might be up to (*gasp*) 3 other cars that arrived first, and you're going to have to remember what order they arrived in, but surely even your simple brain can remember the order of 3 cars?

Ignoring all that, you can still see in the windshield, so I'm really not sure what you're bitching about.

ahh, just noticed it's his first post, prolly shouldn't have replied, oh well...
Old 04-27-2004, 04:10 PM
Pro

appreciate the insightful advice, heehaaw
Old 04-27-2004, 05:41 PM
Instructor

I've been pulled over twice for my tints. The first time the cop gave me a ticket and told me to keep it in the car, maybe the next cop to pull me over will give me a break..... . So I took the ticket and left it home.. Low and behold to be pulled over in a weeks time again... Luckly I remember the name of the first officer who gave me the ticket.. where he did, and kind of lied about how long ago it was (it was 3 weeks, I told the cop 2 days)

Paid my $85 and still have my tint. and I do what all the rest do..... Roll my windows down when a cop is anywhere in sight. :think:

P.S. I put 20% tint all around (except front glass) but the cops meter read it as 11% any one know y????
Old 04-27-2004, 05:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TLKrazey20
I've been pulled over twice for my tints. The first time the cop gave me a ticket and told me to keep it in the car, maybe the next cop to pull me over will give me a break..... . So I took the ticket and left it home.. Low and behold to be pulled over in a weeks time again... Luckly I remember the name of the first officer who gave me the ticket.. where he did, and kind of lied about how long ago it was (it was 3 weeks, I told the cop 2 days)

Paid my $85 and still have my tint. and I do what all the rest do..... Roll my windows down when a cop is anywhere in sight. :think:

P.S. I put 20% tint all around (except front glass) but the cops meter read it as 11% any one know y????
what's this meter that you talk about? some handheld thing the use to check for tint or some device that's in the cop car that's like a tint radar?!??!
Old 04-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Instructor

what's this meter that you talk about? some handheld thing the use to check for tint or some device that's in the cop car that's like a tint radar?!??!

The thing they use to test your tint. He told me roll the window halfway down and he placed this gadget on the window and it read the my window was 11%..... both times
Old 04-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

dee diddy:
Try to dispute the ticket in court. If the cops shows up, plead innocent and say you didn't know you couldn't tint the front windows (the tint guy didn't say it was illegal). Ask for the ticket to be waived or the fine reduced (ie: you are a student, no money, etc, etc). If the cop doesn't show up, your ticket (and your case) gets thrown out of court and you get off scott free. I did this very thing back in '95 when I tinted my Camry - experienced both sides of the court's decision. If it's VPD, your chances are better than 50/50 (Vancouver cops are often times too busy to show up in court for a stupid tint violation). If it's the RCMP, you're SOL - he will show up in court. Good luck and remove the front tint before you get busted again!
Old 04-27-2004, 06:25 PM
Instructor

The factory glass has a slight tint to it, so that probably lowered the reading.

Also, pleading ignorance will get you nowhere. The judge could care less, they'll just tell you it's your responsibility to know the laws. But plead not guilty, and at least hope the cop doesn't show....

Originally Posted by TLKrazey20

Old 04-28-2004, 04:53 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by patrick
dee diddy:
Try to dispute the ticket in court. If the cops shows up, plead innocent and say you didn't know you couldn't tint the front windows (the tint guy didn't say it was illegal). Ask for the ticket to be waived or the fine reduced (ie: you are a student, no money, etc, etc). If the cop doesn't show up, your ticket (and your case) gets thrown out of court and you get off scott free. I did this very thing back in '95 when I tinted my Camry - experienced both sides of the court's decision. If it's VPD, your chances are better than 50/50 (Vancouver cops are often times too busy to show up in court for a stupid tint violation). If it's the RCMP, you're SOL - he will show up in court. Good luck and remove the front tint before you get busted again!
yeah it was an rcmp that gave me the ticket, so i won't dispute it. i told the officer that i didn't know about it and i was hoping he'd only give me a warning. i aint a student anymore and i work, so i don't got those arguments to use. don't know if it's just with the rcmp, but i noticed on the back of the ticket saying you get $25 knocked off if you pay within 30 days, so it'd be an $86 fine. i find richmond cops to be more sensitive to mods and such a pain in the ass to deal with vs vancouver cops.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

yeah it was an rcmp that gave me the ticket, so i won't dispute it. i told the officer that i didn't know about it and i was hoping he'd only give me a warning. i aint a student anymore and i work, so i don't got those arguments to use. don't know if it's just with the rcmp, but i noticed on the back of the ticket saying you get $25 knocked off if you pay within 30 days, so it'd be an $86 fine. i find richmond cops to be more sensitive to mods and such a pain in the ass to deal with vs vancouver cops.
Well of course Richmond cops are more anal, coz there's more asians in Richmond (and hence more modded cars on the road). Which is why I don't go to Richmond at nites if I don't have to - the possibility of getting pulled over for a vehicle inspection for illegal mods is just plain scary!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Advanced

I havent got a ticket in the past 4 years

I have limo tint on my celica all around except wsheild and never got a ticket. I think its like 5% or somthing. I just put titanium on my TL I think 30% all around. I figure they wouldnt give a sedan a ticket especially since its not lowered or moded out like my celica
Old 04-28-2004, 11:05 AM
Advanced

What you do is get someone you know at a dealership or something to write you a receipt for tint removal and take it to court with you. Normally the judge will throw it out.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:39 AM
Registered Abuser

Ok, something I still havn't figured out, how do all of you with your "illegal" tints manage to pass inspections?
Old 04-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Advanced

Well, when I lived in Durham (where I'm from ), I had a friend who worked at a gas station, and he just used to just give me my sticker.

I live in Florida now, and we don't have inspections or inspection stickers.

Quick Reply: Got a ticket for my tint dammit!