Got pumped by a civic in my TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 05:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Got pumped by a civic in my TL-S

I'm in Canada, so I talk kilometers...

I got a bone '03 TL-S with 3000km on it.

Was cruising home from work when I noticed an early 90's civic hatchback cruising next to me, was kinda loud, with a big exhaust pipe. We stopped together at a red light and I took a closer look at the car... noticed the gauge pod on the a-pillar displaying the engines particulars... looked down at his wheels and he had the stock black steel wheels with no hubcaps... (looking at the wheels I figured he was too poor to have anything under the hood).

Light turned green, I took off half aggressively, and I noticed he made the effort to stay right next to me, so I mashed the throttle, and so did he. Because I got a bit of jump on him, I pulled ahead about a fender. By 70k, he was right next to me, and by 120k, he was a car ahead. Plumes of white smoke poured out of his exhaust as he pulled ahead and was shifting at a crazy rpm limit... I was just floored with the AC on and no SS. Anyhow, at 130k I let off and he was about a car and half ahead... he kept his foot in it and pulled away.

At the next light we spoke and he explained that he had an Integra Type R engine in his car. I figure he had a bunch of other tricks done to the car as well since he went to the trouble of changing the whole engine.

Moral of the story, never underestimate a civic hatchback or coupe... some of 'em go pretty good.

Another example of this I seen about 2 years ago, my buddy had an 88 Mustang LX Trunk 5.0 with 100hp shot of nitrous, ported heads, and other bolt ons. This car went 11.90 at 113mph at the track. One evening he ran another hatchback civic at a local run spot and killed it out of the hole, only to be destroyed at the big end... I heard some major turbo spooling going on in the civic... Jeez, nitrous shtangs aren't even king of the hill anymore...

Dirk Diggler.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:01 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy $hit, sounds just like the civic hatchback that raped me too! He also had an ITR engine swap.:wow: I thought the same way you did.:p
Old 09-06-2002, 08:12 PM
10th Gear

Ya, but blown stangs are. Ya, there are some fast imports, but they arent very many.
Old 09-07-2002, 01:50 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

I lost to a civic that had a b20 motor(CRV?) in it and was all tweaked out... I roasted like a dozen civics before that and will continue to try to roast civics at every possible opertunity and then me and them can go cook some rice

Yes people that do engine swaps in civics are usually hella fast and they have many more mods they can do compared to our cars... I usually laugh at their sweatty non- AC havin asses LOL!
Old 09-07-2002, 09:49 AM
Instructor

---> Ya, but blown stangs are. Ya, there are some fast imports, but they arent very many.

One of my past cars was a blown Stang. Was a '90 LX Trunk 5spd with an a-trim Vortech making 8psi boost. Only other things done to the car were MAC 1 3/4" headers, and no cats. I squeezed a 12.90 @ 107mph after about a dozen 13.0 passes... Then I bent the driveshaft from all those 6000rpm clutch drops with slicks... Anyhow, my friends nitrous stang I mentioned earlier was way faster... for a whole lot less money too...

Dirk Diggler.
Old 09-07-2002, 10:37 AM
Has been sold for a while

Originally posted by blown65
Ya, there are some fast imports, but they arent very many.
Actually there are tons.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:55 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by J.T.'s 3.2TL

Actually there are tons.
I guess I should narrow that a tad, there are very very few where I live. Like maybe a handfull. Even the fastest one still cant beat my stang. Yes, there are tons of them across the country, just not around here. Most of them around here are actually slower than if I bought one off the show room floor cause they weight them down and add drag to them with big wings, ground efx, and not one single performance upgrade.

Dirk

One of my past cars was a blown Stang. Was a '90 LX Trunk 5spd with an a-trim Vortech making 8psi boost. Only other things done to the car were MAC 1 3/4" headers, and no cats. I squeezed a 12.90 @ 107mph after about a dozen 13.0 passes... Then I bent the driveshaft from all those 6000rpm clutch drops with slicks... Anyhow, my friends nitrous stang I mentioned earlier was way faster... for a whole lot less money too...
not too bad, mine is a blown, stroked, injected 65 stang. Running around 17psi boost and should be in the high 10's in the 1/4. Did some test and tunes on it last yr and ran 98mph in the 1/8 on street tires.