Got my leather replaced...sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 03:06 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Got my leather replaced...sucks

I finally got the bubbled up leather on the driver seat fixed today.
The perforated leather on the bottom seat and back support was lifting. I thought that they would replace only those areas, but the dealer replace the whole leather.

They took off the ENTIRE leather and replaced it.

Bad news is that the stiching was not done with a professional hands! Done by the mechanic. What do I mean? The leather is not as streched as to fit the seat like a skin. It is little loose and it has rough like texture.
Good news? It feels firmer and more supportive, which I liked.

Really bad news? I can already tell that it will bubble up again..

I understand that leather seats will have wrinkles and some lifts as it gets used up, but my baby is 3 months old.
I never had leather seat, so I don't know if this is normal or not...but none of my parents' cars BMW and Volvo has this problem. Is this only in Acura?

I read posts of similar problems, but I'm not sure if those who got it replaced saw the lift again. If it lifts again, I think I will wait until near the end of warrantee and get it replaced it again.

I love my baby, but this really sucks. Is this something that is normal? Input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:49 AM
9th Gear

Take it back and ask them to take out the wrinkles.

If that doesn't work ask them to foot the bill for a professional to handle it.

later.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn my seat is bubbled up too cuz of the heat seat. I dunno if i want to replace it at the dealer. Maybe i'll mention it during my 7500 miles check up.
And also the seat will probably bubbles up again after I got it replace.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:39 PM
Cruisin'

Im a tech for honda and i just dont understand why the dealer gets a mechanic to do seat work like your leather problem.I will be the first to admit i know **** about fixing leather problems or stiching problems?The only thing that i as a mechanic should be doing to your seat is fixing the pw seats or replaceing broken frames or even fixing heated seat problems.I think you should take your 3 month old type-s back to the dealer and have them sent it out to a professional,and if they still cant get it right then ***** and complain and demand a complete seat,if they have to they will switch seats from another new car that they have in stock,just my two cents worth,good luck.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

South Coast Acura sends the leather work out. Your dealer should do the same. Go give 'em sheet.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:57 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks guys,
I think I will complain when I'm going in for the 7500 miles service and see to it that they do this thing right with the right people doing it.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:50 PM
Instructor

AntarticTLS:

How long did it take for them to do it? I took my TLs in last week with the seat problem. I was told that they can't do it and need to order new leather. I was told that they would call me to bring the car in when the part arrive and that they will need my car for the day.

While at the dealership, I did noticed that all the TL that was in for service had the "bubbled" leather seat. I have a feeling that the problem will show up again. I was just glad that they did not hestitate and that they would take care of it. I am curious as to how they will react the 2nd, 3rd, 4th times around.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Cruisin'

It took 2 weeks to get the leather in and about 4 hours to replace the leather. They told me they would call and that it would take about a week for it to arrive. When almost 2 weeks has passed I called to check on it, they said "it has just arrived"...what ever. I would not wait for them to call you, call them to check on it at least once a week.

Oh, as others have said it here, make sure you ask them who will be installing the new leather. They are replacing the whole leather, so I would insist that they use a "leather professional." Don't make the same mistake that I did.

Just updating...it bubbled up again. I am so mad as hell. I will get it replaced again and again until they get this thing right. I'm afraid they might come up an say "oh, well it is just how it is after a wear." If that happens, call 911. I will be doing some damages.

After 3rd or 4th, I would just contact the Acura directly. Let see what happens.

I hope you get a better result VLAM
Old 01-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Banned

thye replaced the beakseat cover leather, and its VERY LOOSE. it looks kinda ugly. the curry acura guy said , give it a couple of weeks.

wut should i do. blah i hope hes right.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:51 PM
Cruisin'

I don't know what the dealer meant by "give couple of week." Is he saying the leather will stretch themselves out or that you will get use to the leather being that way?

Because mine was not tight enough, I think it is bubbling up again. It's been few weeks since I got mine back. I told the service guy when he called me to check up on the leather, that it is starting to do that again and it will probably needs replacement soon. He said that Acura will normally not replace the leathers as a regular wear, but there shouldn't be a problem if it needs to be replaced again.

I don't know what else to do. Everytime I get in and out of the car, it pisses me off.
I love my TLS, but I'm starting to see how they offer such a great package at a good price...Sorry to say, but it's gonna be my last Acura, unless they find a permanent solution for me.

Nick 79, I hope that you will not have to replace that thing again.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:38 PM
Banned

he said , it will fix itself and become tighter on the back of the seat. very werid answer, as i dont have time to argue since i am leaving sunday for central NY. when i come back in may, i will raise hell cuz this car is the worse thing i did to myself.
i do regret buying it. i love the looks but the reliabily is like a kia or worse. i dont know. ahh damn it.

i think the hondas have less problems and rattles... and they the lower end of a acura.. hahahahah
Old 01-17-2003, 05:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Okay, what the hell is "bubble on leather" looks like? Anyone has a pic? I have some "pop ups" on leathers but I think it's just because of usage...I'd like to compare.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:57 PM
Banned

bubble up leather on the front, i think he means the part of the seat where u sit on. for example, look at a brand new car or any leather car. its nice, tight and firm or soft. our cars swell up and it kinda rises. i think cuz its cheap leather or something. i didnt complain about it, i am fine with it.

my leather was replaced on the back of the car. where your back would rest on the leather part. because there was a torn peice where acura did service on and when thye replaced the leather, they did a crazy job, which i think i rather wouldve have left it untouched. i might get a price just to replace it wiht money from my pocket, i had it with this crap.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:00 AM
Burning Brakes

yea anybody got pic of the bubble that will be perfect. mine do have that 2 but i thin my fat ass sit on it 2 much so if anybody got pic ofbubble i'll be appreciate and not thankyou enough.
Old 01-18-2003, 01:07 AM
Burning Brakes

yeh, someone post a bubble, errr pic.....
Old 01-18-2003, 04:39 PM
Instructor

I have a pic of my 5 months TLs with the bubble. Anyone wants to post it for me? It's not that bad but the dealer said they will replace it (This was two weeks ago). I called again and they said the new leather should be in next week.

Email me @ vlam@working24-7.com for the pic