Going to change out the coolant on a 2G TL

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 12:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Going to change out the coolant on a 2G TL

Note: Not my car.

The shop that I normally have access to recently received a new, Robin Air 75700 coolant exchanger on behalf of an automotive training company. I will be able to personally operate this machine. (even though I don't work there or go to school there)

The neat part about this machine is that it runs solely on compressed air, thus, the coolant exchange can be performed with the engine off. Even with the engine off, the coolant circulates thru the entire system, such as the block and the heater core, correct me if I'm wrong. It also allows you to pressure test the system prior to exchanging the fluid, and has a suction hose that you can use to empty out the coolant reservoir, lower the level of the coolant below the upper radiator hose prior to exchanging the coolant.

Either tomorrow or later this week, I plan on exchanging the factory coolant on a 2nd Generation TL, with around 50,000 miles. I plan on using Havoline DexCool and Peak Long Life DexCool, as I have 2/3 of a gal of both of those in the shop. I intend on using both of these coolants together in creating a 50/50 solution of DexCool and tap water.

Here's my question: The Peak Long Life DexCool coolant is of an amber color, while the Havoline is of an orange-ish color. What do you think the final solution will look like upon the mixing of these two different brands of coolant, in the final 50/50 solution? Also, I'm debating as to whether or not I should exchange the coolant initially with tap water to flush out as much of the old coolant as possible, or to simply do an exchange with 50/50 DexCool. (Havoline Tech Services highly recommended removing as much old coolant as possible, and this have been confirmed with past experience that DexCool does not seem to tolerate different coolants very well, just a small amount will cause it to turn color for some reason)

Thought? Comments? Suggestions?

TIA,
Mike